Origin of Nex'xis

Origin of Nex'xis

A Story by wisteric
"

"When you are an elite, bound to countless rules and regulations that must be followed without fail, it doesn’t take much to earn the ire of those around you."

"

When you are an elite, bound to countless rules and regulations that must be followed without fail, it doesn’t take much to earn the ire of those around you.

There is no reprieve from these laws either - guards roam every corner of the large campus, bound to report and punish any bad behavior with quick movement and saddened eyes. Even the smallest misdemeanor is certain have consequence, if not for yourself than for others. Nothing escaped the sentries infamous training, and no matter how much it pained them, hesitance was beaten out of them a long, long time ago.

“Justice and Protection,” the family patriarch would repeat over and over, no matter the present company being a fellow paladin to a rogue, “is a duty that requires discipline, honor, and most of all, dignity. We must be above all else in order to pick the poor people who need us up, no?”

‘Yeah - what a load of bull.’

Nex’xis opened their eyes with a sigh, stars glistening in the deep sky as they gazed upward. Leaning back upon the base of the branch they were settled in, their large ears twitched as they listened cautiously to the somber sound of lapping water from the fountains below and the resounding noise of the wildlife. Gazing out across the estate, it was no surprise to find that even in the dead of night guards still roamed the streets, elven eyes gleaming in the dark while their sturdy boots made a steady tap tap tap down the wooden pathways.

Night time contemplations was one of the few luxuries that Nex’xis allowed themselves to indulge in regularly. Daytime was dedicated to practice and training and praying and whatever other little distractions the numerous tutors could provide. But even they tired of routine after so long, and now more than ever Nex’xis was simply left to train by themself, running through forms that they had memorized even before their 20th Winter.

They were Liege Nex’xis Ravacyne of the House of Helm after all - such was expected. But still, the persistent sense of uncomfortable stillness remained, no matter the movement.

But they couldn’t simply do nothing - being caught in a state of boredom would only lead to ‘volunteer’ work as a sentry. And unfortunately, as much as they respected the loyal guards who protected them, staring over the wrought iron gates at a freedom they could never obtain was a torture in of itself.

So the question remained - just what was a young paladin squire to do?

Helm was distant at best, and after so long of simply being turned away from the god Nex’xis was done trying for a response. Scrubbing clean the small city was a task in of itself, and it was no help that their varied and numerous cousins managed to mess everything up in the end. Not even helping the locals, learning from the family scrolls, or training in new areas of combat could take off the edge. So what would?

(Their mind strays to the paint sloshed around city corners and on the walls of the normally pristine keep, and indulges themself with a cunning smirk)

It was a small rebellion, certainly - nothing groundbreaking in the long run. But who knows?

Maybe one day, they’d have the courage for more.

© 2018 wisteric


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on June 29, 2018
Last Updated on June 29, 2018
Tags: dnd, character study, origin, backstory

Author

wisteric
wisteric

About
“If you are a dreamer come in If you are a dreamer a wisher a liar A hoper a pray-er a magic-bean-buyer If you're a pretender come sit by my fire For we have some flax golden tales to spin .. more..

Writing
Assemblage Assemblage

A Story by wisteric