chapter one

chapter one

A Chapter by » instant CLASSiC . . .

 

CHAPTER O N E.

 
“Krisalyn Cruz! GIVE IT BACK!” Ryleigh Jameson chased her down the stairs of their home. Both girls are nineteen years old and both are recent high school graduates and are taking a break from the school life. Although Krisalyn wanted to go to school in the fall, Ryleigh convinced her to take some time off because of how hard she’s been pushing herself. Ryleigh wants to go to college as well but isn’t ready to start right away. She wants to take some time to do some traveling and see the world. This is partly why Ryleigh convinced Krisalyn to take a break: so she could share the experience with someone.
 
“No!” she yelled without looking back, running faster. Krisalyn had taken Ryleigh’s iPod because she wanted to listen to it on her way over to visit her father. You see, there’s more to Krisalyn than meets the eye. For starters, the Jameson family adopted her. Her mother past away when she was young leaving Krisalyn to live with her father. Everything was going good until he hit some financial troubles and little by little he started to loose things. First he lost his car and addition to that he lost his job because he didn’t have any sort of money for transportation. Soon enough he was so poor that he couldn’t even provide any shelter, food, or clothing for Krisalyn. After two months of living like this, he finally decided to take her to an orphanage home where he knew Krisalyn would get the things she would need to live, even if it did mean that his only daughter might be adopted. After six months of living in the orphanage, Krisalyn was adopted by the Jameson’s. Shortly after they took her in, Krisalyn’s father was taken in by the Air Force. He was walking down the street one time and he heard these two men talking about the Air Force and after they all started talking and with all his knowledge with the planes and what went on behind the scenes, the two other men were extremely impressed and decided to give him a shot – despite all cost issues - and soon this position became permanent.
 
After he was accepted, Krisalyn barely heard from him. Before all this happened, they would always write to each other and talk to each other on the phone, then nothing. Now that he’s in the force, Krisalyn still doesn’t get to see him much, but now he’s going to be in town for a few days so it gives the both of them time to catch up with each other.
 
While her father was doing his thing, Krisalyn decided that she should move on with her life and take charge of it. Krisalyn has heard many stories of her mother being a professional ballet dancer as well as a dance teacher in her day. Krisalyn wanted to fallow in her mother’s footsteps and decided to become a dancer herself. When she dances, she feels a strong connection with her mother and doesn’t want to loose it. Dancing is what Krisalyn is, it’s her passion and she’s never gonna let it go. After dancing, her favorite thing is food. Krisalyn is the type of girl to eat and eat and eat and never get full. Her friends and family call her the “bottomless pit” since she eats so much and all of the time.
 
Soon enough, Ryleigh finally caught up with Krisalyn and tackled her down to the carpeted floor in the family room.
 
“What happened to yours?” Ryleigh asked desperately trying to grab her iPod from Krisalyn’s moving arms.
 
“I don’t know! Why don’t you tell me! You took it!” Krisalyn struggled to break free from Ryleigh’s grasp.
 
“What do you mean you don’t know? If you don’t know then how am I supposed to know? And excuse me! I haven’t even touched it! You’re the one who had it last!” she stated and straddled Krisalyn’s waist and pinned her arms above her head. Just then Jennifer, Krisalyn and Ryleigh’s mom, walked in from the side door that led into the kitchen.
 
“Oh, there you girls are. Krisalyn, I have-“then she abruptly stopped talking and just started the position that the two girls were in. “I’m sorry, am I interrupting something?”
 
“No,” Krisalyn and Ryleigh stated at the same time. “What were you saying?” Ryleigh asked and got up off of Krisalyn.
 
“I have Krisalyn’s iPod. I’m sorry I didn’t ask before I took it, but Jesse has mine and won’t give it back and today I really needed it.” Jennifer said as she handed Krisalyn back her iPod and she gave Ryleigh back hers.
 
“Don’t sweat it Jen, it’s alright.” Krisalyn flashed her best smile. Jennifer smiled back and walked back through the kitchen door.
 
“And you owe me an apology.” Ryleigh said as the two girls followed Jennifer’s footsteps to the kitchen.
 
“For what?”
 
“For accusing me of taking your iPod when in fact, it was mother who had it all this time.”
 
“I’m sorry your honor, I’ll never jump to conclusions again.” Krisalyn smiled at Ryleigh.
 
“That’s all I ask!”
 
All Jennifer did was smile and shake her head. “So what are you girls doing today?”
 
“I’m visiting dad today at Panera Bread!” Krisalyn exclaimed. “I’m so excited!”
 
“Oh yeah that’s right, I remember now. It was set up a few months ago, right?” Krisalyn smiled and nodded her head vigorously. “What about you Rye? What are your plans for today?”
 
“Well, I have Ellsy’s riding lesson then I promised her a trail ride yesterday but then it started to pour so we postponed it for today.” Ryleigh has always been a huge fan of horses ever since she had her first pony ride at a carnival that was in town. Then just days later, Jennifer and Jesse heard Ryleigh begging for her own horse. Though they didn’t have the money – or the time – for a real horse, they gave her the next best thing: riding lessons. Ryleigh was six years old when she started and stopped just a few months ago because she felt that she didn’t need anymore lessons after taking them for about thirteen years. Then just over a year ago – after working endless hours at Hollister - is when Ryleigh bought Moe, her very own horse. Now she goes over to the stables everyday – except for Sunday’s which is her day off – and works in exchange for her board since she doesn’t have the money to pay for it.
 
“Is she the only one that you teach?” Krisalyn asked as the slipped on her flats.
 
“Yeah, why?”
 
“Just curious, but why not teach other people as well? I’m sure that there are other people there who could use a lesson or two.”
 
“Well one because there are other instructors and I don’t wanna interfere with them and two I’m not really looking to be a teacher right now. I mean, we’ll be God knows where this fall with our traveling which will keep me pretty occupied and I’ve know Ellsy since the first day she came to the barn and we hit it off right away. I’m like a role model to her. She looks up to me.” she said and shrugged her shoulders. Krisalyn just nodded in return. “Mmkay, well I have to get going so that I won’t be late.” Ryleigh said as she put on her boots and grabbed the car keys and started to walk out the garage door.
 
“Wait! Hold on a second Ryleigh, do you think you could give me a ride to Panera since my car’s still at the shop?” Krisalyn asked.
 
“Sure! Come on, it’s right on my way.”
  
 
“God Damnit! Where did I put that book?” Caleigh Donato said aloud as she dumped a whole bunch of stuff that was on her bed to the floor. “I was just reading it this morning...it couldn’t have gotten up and walked away that quickly.” she put her hands on her hips and thought a little bit harder. “Maybe it’s downstairs.” Caleigh did one last look through her room just to make sure that the book really wasn’t in her room hiding in plain sight. After she double checked that her book wasn’t in her room, Caleigh walked into the hallway and down the stairs which lead right into the kitchen. In the kitchen she saw her best friend Jacob Whitaker, who always goes by Jake, and her fraternal twin sister, Kayden.
 
Caleigh and Kayden have the typical sister relationship: they love each other, but they hate each other. Caleigh is more of the laid back twin. She’s not one to say how she’s feeling or to do anything spontaneous. Caleigh’s more of the bottled-up type. She’s not that great of opening up to people. Sometimes she has a little trouble telling Jake how she feels and they’ve known each other since the beginning of time. It’s just one of those things she’s not comfortable with. Though what she is comfortable with doing is photography. Caleigh has always been really fond of this kind of art. She likes capturing the little things in life that people don’t seem to notice or take time to appreciate.
 
As for Kayden, she’s pretty much the opposite of Caleigh. She loves hanging out and doing random, spontaneous things. You could technically say that she’s the rebel of the two twins. To Kayden, she says the rules are more of guidelines. She doesn’t pay any attention to them unless she knows she absolutely has to, to avoid sever consequences. Other than that her world is run free rein. Kayden is a very stubborn, opinionated person. If something doesn’t go a certain way or if something isn’t said, she will stand and debate for hours until everything is the way it’s supposed to be. What some people might not guess about Kayden is that she loves to cook. She has made numerous dinners for friends and family and no one has died yet.
 
As Caleigh walked further into the kitchen, she saw Kayden and Jake were sitting across from another arm wrestling.
 
“You can’t beat me, Jake. I have ultimate strength.” Kayden taunted as she tried to get him to loose his concentration. “Hey Cal!”
 
“I can too beat you! And nothings gonna distract me!” Jake said a little breathy yet confidently.
 
“Hey guys, have you seen my book?” Caleigh asked as she looked on the counter.
 
“Jake would say hi but he doesn’t have the ability to multi-task.” She smirked. “And your book is over here by Jake’s crap.”
 
Caleigh looked over at the kitchen table which Kayden was right; her book was on top of Jake’s backpack. “Why’s my book down here anyway? I thought I brought it upstairs?”
 
“No, it was down here the whole time. It was actually in my way.” Jake said as Kayden started to bend his arm back to victory.
 
“No...I could’ve sworn I brought it upstairs...” Caleigh murmured as she walked around the counter to retrieve her book
 
“Apparently not ‘cause it’s down here,” Kayden stated as she slammed Jake’s hand down on the table. “Oh Yeah! I Win! AGAIN!”
 
“Yeah, yeah...shut up...” Jake muttered as he rubbed his hand from Kayden’s grip. Then he cleared his throat and began to talk, “So what are you two up to tonight?”
 
“I wanna finish this book...but other than that I don’t think I have any plans...what about you, Kay?” Caleigh asked.
 
“Uuum, let’s see...I’m not working tonight, no dates, and no plans.” Kayden said. “What did ya have in mind?”
 
“I was thinking maybe a movie and then ice cream afterwards.” Jake shrugged.
 
“What movie?” Kayden asked.
 
“I don’t know, what’s playing?”
 
“Ok, for future reference, if you ever suggest going to a movie, always know what’s playing and always have an idea of what time they’re at.” Kayden said as she pulled her laptop out and typed in fandango.com. As soon as the list of movies came up, she scanned them and started to talk. “Nope...nope...nope...maybe...nope...possibly...totally...hm, not many good movies out right now I have to say.”
 
“Yeah, according to you.” Caleigh smiled and looked over the list of movies. “Damn, she’s right.”
 
“Oh come on! There has to be something you girls wanna see. And no chick flicks please.” Jake asked and pleaded.
 
“There aren’t any chick flicks out right now, and Sex and the City isn’t out anymore.” Caleigh informed her best friend.
 
“How about Iron Man,” Kayden suggested.
 
“Already seen it...twice.” Jake said.
 
“You go to the movies alone?” Kayden joked.
 
“I can go to the movies without you guys coming along. And I do get dates thank you very much.”
 
“Sure, how’s your mom doing? Haven’t talked to her in a while.” she continued to annoy Jake.
 
“Shut up Kayden, that’s enough for one day.” Caleigh sighed as her eyes continued to scan the list. “How ‘bout Get Smart? It just came out yesterday.”
 
“I’m in!” Kayden said excitedly and closed her computer.
 
“What time?” Jake asked.
 
“6:20,”
 
“Alright then...and until it’s time to leave, I shall be reading my book.” Caleigh concluded and went to go get cozy on the couch. Kayden walked over to the fridge and Jake was getting his shoes on.
 
“Where are you going?” Kayden asked without looking up.
 
“Home to take a shower, why? Does it concern you?”
 
“Dude, did you seriously get that sweaty from when we were arm wrestling that you need to take a shower?”
 
“Be nice, Kayden!” they heard Caleigh shout from the other room.
 
“What she said.” Jake smirked and walked out the door. Kayden just smiled and shook her head then went back to the fridge.


© 2008 » instant CLASSiC . . .


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on July 4, 2008


Author

» instant CLASSiC . . .
» instant CLASSiC . . .

IL



About
hey, I'm Kenna and here's some stuff about me. � I'm sixteen years old � I'm a sophomore in high school � my two favorite things to do are writing and horseback ri.. more..

Writing