Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Angel

For the next two weeks, time began to have meaning again. It was like I had been given a purpose to function. I still followed my normal routine, but I had a lively step and my appetite had returned. I was definitely becoming better, because I knew I was going to see my Adam again. He said he was going to explain everything...well, whether he does or not isn't important...all I care about is him. I was tired of being alone, and Adam had made me feel more alive than I ever had in my whole life...and I wasn't about to lose him again.

 

Finally, the day of the dance arrived, and the whole student population was all abuzz with activity, discussing details and making plans. I made it through my Friday classes somehow, and even managed to avoid Avery when I headed to my car to drive home. Either he took my advice...which is unlikely...or he is plotting something... When I arrived home, I did my homework and then, for the first time in over a month, I made dinner. My father came home just as I finished up my homemade pizza. "Well, Re, it looks like like I have my daughter back." "It's good to be back, Dad." "Even your eyes are starting to get flecks of brown again." "Yeah, I've calmed down but I'm still worried about patching up things with Adam." At that, my father's eyes began to twinkle again, and his smile was positively unholy. "Speaking of that, your dress is in the living room. I did quite well for an old coot, I'd say." I laughed, "Dad. You're not an old coot." I walked in and picked up the dress back and turned towards the stairs. "I'm going to get ready now, Dad. Help yourself to dinner." "Will do." I smiled as I walked up the stairs, knowing that he was about to devour the whole thing. 

 

Once in my room, I placed the bag on my bed, and then retreated to my bathroom for another shower. As I stood under the steaming hot water, I began to think again. Where is he going to be in the dance? Will I actually have to dance? What on earth am I going to even say to him? I shook those thoughts away, and began instead to think about the good times me and Adam had shared. I smiled, tears mixing with the shower water. I'm going to see Adam tonight, and I'm going to tell him everything...Please Goddess let it be enough... Stepping out of the shower, I examined myself in the mirror once more. My eyes had changed back to brown finally, and my hair was still shiny from being washed, and I even looked refreshed. I dried off, and then lotioned down, and stepped back to my room to examine my father's choice of dress.

 

I opened the bag, and I gasped. The dress was beautiful. The fabric was pure satin, colored a brilliant icy yellow. It was floor length, an A-line skirt. The traps were white gems that formed a huge "V" in the back, leading down to a teardrop-shaped opening on the lower back. It was sleek, elegant, and the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. When I put it on, I felt like a movie star. I brushed out my hair while it was still shiny, and left it hanging down and looking stunning. I decided to not wear eyeshadow, but chose to put on a bit of lip gloss. My mother's necklace added a nice effect, the pendant ending right about the neckline. The matching shoes my father had in the bag were beautiful, the heel just high enough for me to be comfortable in. When I walked downstairs, I saw my father look up at me and tears filled his eyes. "Well, Dad...what do you think?" "Re, you look as gorgeous as your mother." I blushed, but also it made me feel good to know I could represent her besides just the necklace. "Dad, thanks. It's perfect." "Yeah, well, Tasha the secretary knew this guy and I got a good deal. Now I want you to go have fun...and, Re....know Adam's socks off." I laughed, kissed him on the cheek, and then drove towards the school. Dear Goddess, watch over me tonight. Let everything work out for the best...

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

In the two weeks it took for the dance to arrive, I thought I was going to go insane. Everything kept going as usual, but for some reason it seemed like time had slowed down. Minutes seemed like hours, days seemed like years. Once I had hope again, it was like the Powers that be wanted to ruin my chances again. I let her go once....and I REFUSE to let her get away from me again. This is my last chance, and I promise that I'm not going to mess it up. 

 

The only thing besides seeing Rena again that I had to look forward to was each night, Josué would help me prepare. "Okay, stand like this. Move this way. No no, you can't do that." I swear...dance lessons, learning how to behave in a social event, practicing what to even say to Rena....if I didn't appreciate the effort Josué was putting it, I would have killed him. It's nice that he wants me to do well, but what if after all this work I still cant win Rena back? Just the mere thought of living without her made me sick to my stomach. I had to not think about it, but only remain positive....like a line in one of Rena's songs: "The best way to make it through with hopes and wrists intact, is to realize two out of three ain't bad." And in this case, the two out of three would be to talk to her again and to see her face once more.

 

The day of the dance finally arrived, and I was anxious for night to fall. Tyre' returned from school first, and locked herself in the bathroom to get ready. Women.... Then Jaq arrived and proceeded to get dressed in a god-awful white suit and bragged on and on about his date. I know he's family but I'm ready to strangle his a*s....Then Josué came in with two clothes bags. "Josué, what's this?" I asked. "Well, one is for me, and the other is for you." "Me?" "Did you honestly think after all my hard work I'd let you find something to wear? Just put this on and shut up." I took the bag he handed me and went back to my room. Inside the bag was a tuxedo, freshly pressed. Wow, Josué  sure has great taste. I changed into it, and was amazed at how I looked. I look like I'm preparing for a wedding...or a funeral....the beginning of a life with Rena....or the death of my human life....Damn, when did I get so philosophical? 

 

I walked out of my room, to find the twins already waiting. Josué also had a nice black tux, as opposed to his brother's white suit...it really fit their personalities, I realized...how opposite they are...So I joined them on the couch as we waited for Tyre' to finish getting ready. She stepped out in this cute, short blue dress with a strappy back. Her black hair was in an updo, and she had blue eyeshadow that matched perfectly, and her stilettos were killer. "What are you all waiting for? Let's go," she said as soon as she stepped out, and I was speechless. I keep forgetting she's a girl...who's her date for the dance? That girl or that guy? We each got in our own individual cars, but parked together at the gym. As we walked in, all I kept thinking was....would Rena even show up?



© 2011 Angel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on May 13, 2011
Last Updated on May 13, 2011


Author

Angel
Angel

Statesville, NC



About
I am a 19 year-old girl who's firey and outspoked. I say almost anything that's on my mind and I'm not afraid to defend myself, others, or what I believe is right. I am cool, calm, and collected. I en.. more..

Writing
Moonlit Tears Moonlit Tears

A Poem by Angel


Hello Stranger Hello Stranger

A Poem by Angel