Changing Fates

Changing Fates

A Story by Novelle

 

He watched as the moon lingered in the water, the cascades of the ripples barely misinterpreting the surreal image. Briefly, a faint pause among the changing hands of fate, he wondered if the choice he had made mattered the absolute much that he knew it did not. A confusing notion make-believe yet it scratched the resolve that pounded around him firmly.


 

Breathing in the crisp, chilly air, he stepped to the plate, wondering if in the next few seconds he would be wavered by something, or someone. The simple mask held his breath for a second then it disappeared, lingering for a millisecond more before it vanished from thought. It did not matter, he told himself, for no one will stop the inevitable.


 

Memories masked his determination as he heard the voices tell him something. The first one to seek its place was of his brothers and him, each smiling as they celebrated yet another year in their old lives. His pale lips shifted at the bitter happiness and he question on how it all could go so wrong in a matter of days. Next was the picture of blood. Not just anyone’s red liquid of life but his younger brother’s innocence. The crush of his soul lifting away shattered his heart and he could feel the tears chasing a path they had followed for a long time.


 

Than the picture of his elder brother came smacking him, yelling that he was going to loss everything if he did not come to reality. Each of them had been hurt but they had to continue on and shape the new. He had not listened and days later announced his way out: tracking the world. Voyaging from place to place, never knowing what was next. All of his brothers asked him the same thing.


 

Was he going to tell her?


 

Her. The most innocent, beautiful lady he had ever seen; a breath-taking soul of strength but delicate and unique. Instantly he knew her reaction, though he had not seen her in months, only talking whenever he could. The suppressed shiver raced down his back once more.


 

Those orbs, they were the last thing to haunt him. Full of resentment, hatred, and anger as tears fell from them as she glared at him. Yet she was so beautiful, carrying his child in her womb as she gazed at him with disbelief.


 

Then those three words that made him realize how much he had screwed up. For months, he had out off their meeting because he was afraid of her; of what he felt. Instead of going to meet her whenever she had urged him, of saying good bye and changing to subject when she approached topics of children, love, and weddings, his life fell. Fell into a crumpled heap of failures and happiness, of thoughts and dreams, with those words.


 

“I hate you.”


 

Anger flared in her eyes and she shook but the only thing he did was flee with his tail between his legs. He took the same way out he had years ago when she had told him those same words. This time he was going to miss their child's birth and growing up. Miss the beauty of a family. Mostly, he was going to miss her, his sprite.


 

Suddenly he bounded from his seat and rushed forward. The stewardess looked at him but let him pass. A sigh of relief escaped his lips as he noticed they had not taken off yet it disappeared when he was stopped.


 

“We cannot let you off, sir. Please go back to your seat.”


 

“I have to get off. My fiancée is going into labor.” Please work lie. Please, he silently prayed.


 

The steward looked shocked but recovered. “I am sorry to hear that, sir, but you need to sit down.”


 

His anger took him over and he growled. “My name is Angellic Black and if you do not let me off this plane, I will jump and sue this airline for all it is worth. Now let me pass.”


 

The male let him by with wide eyes and he smile in his victory. Running down the long transport, he pounded in the familiar numbers of his home. The first couple of rings passed before a voice answered.


 

“If you want money, go screw some people for it, Angel.”


 

“Thank you but no thanks, Seto. I am not leaving.”

 

“Huh?”


 

“I am n-”


 

“I heard you but why?”


 

“Kitten.” He flagged down a cab and got in. “Did you know she was pregnant?”


 

“Sam mentioned it but yes.”


 

He digested the news for a second as he gave the address to the driver. “Why did you not tell me?”


 

“Hmm...Wife, Fall, and pregnant Kat against little ol' me? Not going to work. So what made you change your mind?” He heard the voices of all his other family and sighed, wishing Seto had not put him on the speaker.


 

“She told me she hated me. While I was sitting on the plane I thought about the last three months. The most impacting part was her and those words. Suddenly, I realized that I need to step running from my fears and be a man.” He let it sink in, more to himself then them. “I love her. I want my family and all the pain and suffering that comes with it. To move forward and heal from all the wounds collected from the battle.”


 

“I can only wish you good luck. Everyone here has tried to get a hold of her but no one knows where she is. Phone rings and she does not answer the door.”


 

Trust me, I know where she is.” Or God kill me if I do not. “Oh, you night have a lawsuit on your hands.”


 

“Why?”


 

“Nothing. Bye.” He hung up and sighed as he landed at his old condo. Sighing, he payed the driver and moved forward, feeling as if he was preparing for battle. Walking through the building, he tried to think of what he was going to say. Yet not knowing what to say was the first part he had to overcome.


 

Time ran out and he was before the old door that he used to greet each night. Reaching for the door handle, he pushed it open and waited with baited breath as he listened. Nothing reached his ears and he treaded the first steps, closing and locking the door.


 

It was an empty shell, the apartment he had lived in. Bare except the few novelties that hung here and there. First, and since it was the closest, he checked the living room. No lady was sprawled among the couch or chair and he sighed, though did not know if it was in relief or something else. Moving to the steps, he glanced into the kitchen to make sure she was not in there on the floor. Then he ascended them slowly.


 

As soon as he reached the top, he knew he was being watched. Staring forward, his blue orbs met with the hazel ones he had missed desperately. One foot after another crossed his body to the edge of the bed and he stopped. Her gaze followed him all the way through the fluid motion and she blinked. Slowly her mouth opened.


 

“Please tell me I am not dreaming? That you are real and not an illusion?” Her voice was weak and he strained to hear it, heart clenching.


 

“I am here, Kat, and I am real.” He followed her body as she sat up. The sheet fell off her body and his gaze shifted with its descent. Moonlight shown off her beautiful frame, adding to her motherly glow, gently caressing her swollen womb. Muttering a curse, he climbed onto the bed and gathered her into his arms. Tears started to soak his shirt.


 

“I thought I had lost you forever. That you would never come to me. I was alone and hurt. When you came...I just burst.” Her sobs deepened and he stroked her back.


 

“I am not going anywhere ever again. There was this woman, very angry and hurt, who told me she hated me. Her stomach was swollen with my child and there she stood, basically calling my bluff. I did not know why she said she disliked me but it shattered me and told me I was dumb.” He told her this when she had settled down. Holding her away from him, he gazed into her eyes and smiled. “My beloved, will you marry me, a fool who will never stop learning?”


 

She smiled. “Under three must follow conditions and one special one.”


 

Through his lips, he groaned. “They are?”


 

“One you tell me you love me every day. Two, you never leave me. Three you give me all the children I want. And the special on is that you embrace me.”


 

He smiled. “I can do all of those.” Kissing her, he complied with her wishes many times over.

© 2009 Novelle


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Novelle
Tell me what you think about the whole story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on February 8, 2009

Author

Novelle
Novelle

About
I love to write. It has been a passion all my life. Of course I am not a grand writer but my stories have feelings and depths to them that goes beyond the pages. I tell what I listen to. ~*~ We are wr.. more..

Writing
Rina's Memory Rina's Memory

A Story by Novelle


Vision Vision

A Poem by Novelle


My Hope My Hope

A Story by Novelle