First Trip To Nome---The Beginning

First Trip To Nome---The Beginning

A Story by Willard Wells
"

1st of Series

"

It was cold my first trip to Nome. Okay, it's always cold in Nome. It was February, still going down to -55 degrees some days. This was generally a one or two-night stay. You really only needed a day, but the weather is unforgiving and so sometimes you wait for most of the day. It is still dark up above the Arctic Circle, which Nome is only about 150 miles south of. The ocean ice will not start breaking for a month or two.


The morning started with an early flight from Fairbanks to Anchorage. It makes for a long day with approximately a 500-mile flight south so I can grab a 1,000-mile flight north to Nome. The first flight in had no delays so there was hope for the day. The hotel I booked which sounded quite grand was “The Nugget Inn”. It felt good knowing I would be in a nice hotel in this barren land.


It was a clear morning as we came in over the Bering Strait. I waited about 30 minutes to get my bags, then headed outside to see if I could flag down a ride. Taxis here in a village are a car passing by. You just waved before they go on by and hope they see you. It does not matter where you're going, Nome is not that big. Paid my three bucks and took a seat and said good morning to the driver and one other. The process is a passenger in and passenger out until your destination comes up, but no hurry as you enjoy the warmth of the car.


Checked in and got a key, so I could begin my adventure at “The Nugget Inn” and Nome. I got to my room and checked it out and yes I was in for a surprise. The room was configured like a bunkhouse shack, two beds on old rusted iron frames. A small table and chair between the beds with a very small lamp. Well, this was work and not a vacation and I was at the edge of the world.


The room had the feel that it was the same as in the gold rush days. And when I pulled up the blanket to check on the sheets. I am sure they were there when Jack London was here. Since the sheets were worn down to no more than gauze. So I take my first night in the city of Nome. And sleep tight under northern lights.


© 2016 Willard Wells


Author's Note

Willard Wells
Appreciate review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Let me know when you are going to travel to someplace warm or slightly cool. Hells bells, I'll go with you!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

Well Raj, I have been down in your neck of the woods and did go to West Indies and Hawaii. Guess tha.. read more
It was working up to be a good tale but perhaps write it as so rather than try force it into verse? The descriptions a re crisp and illuminating and it reminded me of my trip to Iceland last year. Not sure about the line 'And you just waved, before that got on by.' seems to read wrong?

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

Thank you John. I started doing just story and then it just seem to flow into verse more because my .. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

386 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 19, 2015
Last Updated on January 15, 2016

Author

Willard Wells
Willard Wells

Sacramento, CA



About
Photography and words are my activities to try and keep an over active mind under control. For the most part my pieces have been short since that's how I'm wired. I would like to write something longe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Tin Man Tin Man

A Poem by Tate Morgan