Chapter V: The Lady in the Woods

Chapter V: The Lady in the Woods

A Chapter by Shepard Rhodes
"

The Outlander ventures out and discovers something he'd never intended... and someone quite interesting.

"

Aforemention

-

            The people began building. They tore down the trees and kept the seeds to start a new forest when they were done. The city grew and expanded. The citizens of this new city grew content with their new establishment and knew their children would be happy, if only because they would know no other.

            The boy, however, grew old. The boy lived next to the site of his friend’s grave, living in constant suffering and regretting the rest of his life for not being able to save him all those years before. Though he was able to save all these people, he could not save the one he loved. Rarely anyone would ever see him come out of his shack. One day, at the grave, the boy made a new promise to his friend. He would protect these people at any and all costs. He wouldn’t let another soul fall victim to an untimely death if he could do anything to stop it. And so, his crusade began.

 

Chapter 5: The Lady in the Woods

-

Morning came. The dawn yet again penetrated the sky and into his flat. Today was a new day. Today could render new possibilities, if he played his cards right. The Outlander jumped to his feet and ran to the cupboards and began to gather breakfast. He cut up some salted meat and some greens and began to cook them.

He learned from watching Ark how to cook over a fire. He picked up a match from a box and rubbed it against the side of the box a few times until a small flame was ignited. He felt the gentle heat emanating off the stick. He was amazed. He had created something new. He had made light from nothing.

The Outlander dropped the match onto the wick that stuck out from the countertop. He grabbed a pan that hung off the ceiling, as Ark had done yesterday and dropped his meat and the greens in. He didn’t know how long they needed to simmer, but he decided to wait until he saw steam come off the food. That was about the time Ark had finished the process. He flipped the food over a few times and once the steam started, he placed the pan on the table and blew out the flame.

Was this a success? Had he cooked himself a meal? He took a bite.

Decent.

Another.

Nothing to die for, but solidly subpar.

The Outlander savored the bites, regardless. He had made this and he was proud of it. Well, content at the very least. He could do better. Next, he rose from his seat and drew water from the barrel and started washing his iron plate. Once he was cleaned up and ready, he walked into his bedroom to get dressed.

Once more, he removed his tunic and his trousers and stared into the mirror. He was beginning to familiarize himself with his reflection. He was finding an identity; a persona. He was someone and he was slowly learning what that meant. Today, he was filled with a bright emotion; one of excitement. He got dressed and threw the map into his trousers along with Lazarus’ leather strap.

The Outlander nearly bolted out his door and started pounding at Ark’s. The door swung open. Ark emerged donning full hunter’s gear. He wore a thick, skin tunic with a short, skin skirt below. Around his head was a hood in the shape of a beast’s head. The furry hood fell back and formed a cape of sorts. He was wearing an animal pelt. Slung across his shoulder was a quiver of arrows and a longbow. He also wore moccasins on his feet.

“I was waiting until you’d finally get up,” jabbed Ark. “Shall we get moving?”

The Outlander grinned and nodded like a child in awe of his older sibling.

The two walked down the stairs and emerged into the city. It was still daybreak and the city was still illuminated in the light of dawn. The air was once again crisp and fresh. The thrill was electrifying. The duo made their way north.

“I figured we’d stop by an arrow shop to pick you up your first bow, if that’s all right by you,” explained Ark.

“Sure,” responded the Outlander. “I’d like that.”

After some time, the duo arrived at a bazaar where there were weapons and armor stands littered about with hagglers and beggars hovering around like insects or parasites. Ark went over to a woman with no left eye. She was hooded and seemed rather old.

“Ark, my boy,” she boomed. “Good to see you!”

“Halsa, my lady,” Ark responded. “Always an honor and a pleasure.”

“What does my best customer require of my services today?” she asked.

“A bow,” Ark explained. “For my friend here.”

The lady looked the Outlander over.

“Ah yes, I see,” she grinned. “First time?”

“Brand new to the concept,” Ark said.

The woman let out a guttural laugh and reached for a small bow.

“Try this one,” she pleaded. “Just picked it up from a merchant from up north. A ranger. Said this one was too small for him, but could do someone some good perhaps someday, and perhaps that day is today.”

Ark picked up the bow and inspected it. He grabbed an arrow from his quiver and fired the bow almost instantly at an apple sitting on a barrel on the other side of the bazaar. Some merchants stopped their business and others gasped. Then, as quickly as they took notice, they were back to dealing business.

“We’ll take it,” Ark reacted.

“Excellent!” Halsa said. “Fifty pieces.”

Ark appeared slightly annoyed.

“That’s more than my last quiver,” Ark whined.

Halsa smiled. “Grea has been pestering me about how I haven’t taken her to dinner in weeks. Trying to save up for that nice pub in the Purple District.”

Ark closed his eyes and chuckled.

“Then I’d be happy to contribute,” Ark grinned. “Tell Grea I said hello.”

“I will,” Halsa responded. “She always loves to hear from you.”

Ark handed Halsa the coins and took the bow. He handed it to the Outlander. Ark waved to the woman and ushered the Outlander along. It felt foreign in his hand. He had no idea how this was used to do anything, let alone kill.

“We’ll save the lectures until we reach the woods,” Ark said.

The Outlander suddenly remembered.

“Ark,” the Outlander interjected. “I have something I want you to see.”

“Oh?” inquired Ark. “What is it?”

The Outlander reached into his trousers and grabbed the map. He handed it to Ark. Ark squinted his eyes as he attempted to make sense of the scribbles.

“Well, I think it’s trying to be a map of some sort,” he muttered. “But I can’t make sense of these lines. What is it supposed to be?”

“I don’t know,” replied the Outlander. “I was hoping you could tell me.”

He moved the map around until he found an angle that made sense to him.

“Yes, I see it now,” he said, enlightened. “These are supposed to be walls.”

Ark pointed at some lines on the map for the Outlander to see.

“So, I suppose this is Es Sharam,” he explained. “So, this is where they’re trying to lead us: to the woods. Only…”

Ark started to consider the exact point to where the map led.

“This is leading us to the Deep Woods,” he continued. “I’ve not been one to partake in magic or alchemy or whatnot, but I’ve heard some spirit lives in that neck of the woods. Hasn’t been a mage in the world in well over 10,000 years. Doubt anyone knows how to use magic outside the Green District’s pseudo-alchemy projects. Personally, I think everything they do there is fool’s work and I doubt if there ever was magic in the first place. Seems like a bunch of child tales to me, but the Deep Woods is sketchy and I’m not looking to find out if my theories are true just yet.”

Ark pointed at a point on the map.

“I can take you this far,” Ark explained. “But you’ll have to find what you’re looking for on your own from there. Luckily, I had already planned to take you there. There’s better game the deeper you go, but I’ve never gone passed the Twin Trees. I can take you to that point and then I’m turning back. I’ve felt an aura passed that point. Hardly a soul dares to cross into the Deep Woods, so if that’s your goal, my friend, I wish you luck and the protection of Osune. You’ll need it.”

Ark handed Outlander the map back and continued moving.

“Now c’mon, man. We’ve got a lot of ground to cover and we haven’t even left the city yet,” Ark pleaded. “Promise I’ll show you the inner districts when we get back in town to haggle at the Market District.”

The Outlander grinned broadly and followed.

The duo made their way to the city gates. The Outlander saw much of the same scenery he had seen upon entry, but Ark managed to point out some of the buildings and what they were. He saw the constable’s office, the armory, the barracks, and some of the other open markets. He was amazed. Everyone and everything here had a name and a story.

 

“Wait here,” Ark commanded.

He walked over to the guard post and spoke with the guard. The guard seemed to ask Ark for something. Ark proceeded to show the guard a small paper. The guard nodded. Ark then pointed in the Outlander’s direction. The guard seemed to mull something over, then nodded his head. The guard rang a bell and the gates began to open slowly. The Outlander was just as impressed this time around as he was earlier watching the gate open from the other side.

Ark grabbed the Outlander’s arm.

“C’mon Outlander, we have so much ground yet to cover,” Ark pleaded.

The two emerged from the city and back into the Wastes. Suddenly, the Outlander’s heart sank.

This wretched place again.

Ark seemed to take notice of the Outlander’s new mood.

“Don’t worry,” he said. “We’re not going back out there. We’re mostly just going to hug the wall here until we reach the first tree out here in the wild.”

The Outlander felt a bit more at ease. The two continued their trek, still following alongside the wall. There was little to be seen, so the two just talked along the way.

“So, you figured out what you want to do for work around here?” asked Ark to the boy.

“Work?” reacted the Outlander. “No. Aster told me about some fisherman to the south. Can’t remember the name.”

“Cozmul?” inquired Ark.

“No, that wasn’t it,” answered the Outlander.

“Oh, you must be referring to Lyle.”

“That’s it. Lyle Hault, I believe.”

“Of course. That boy has been trying to find an apprentice so he can feel important, like Cozmul Redorak. Lyle trained under Cozmul until last month. Now Lyle is trying to hire an apprentice so he can reap the benefits of two boats instead of just one.”

Ark pulled out something that resembled rolled paper and that box of matches from before. Ark bit down on the rolled paper and held it in his mouth while he lit a match and started burning the paper at the tip. Then he waved his hand to put out the match and stuck the box back in his satchel. He pulled the paper out of his mouth and exhaled smoke.

“You want one?” he asked the Outlander.

“Want what?” he asked back.

“It’s vale-leaf,” he explained. “Perfectly harmless, but it keeps me relaxed.”

“Aren’t you just burning paper?” the Outlander asked back.

“No. Well, technically yes, but I’m more concentrated on burning the leaf inside the paper.”

Ark took another inhale of the vale-leaf and breathed out. The boy didn’t seem too interested.

“Fine, suit yourself,” Ark replied.

The two walked a ways and Ark took a few more hits before dropping it to the ground and stepping on it as he walked.

“But anyway, if you want my opinion,” Ark continued from earlier. “Find work somewhere you enjoy it. You don’t strike me as the fishing type. Maybe you’ll find an interest in what I do, or maybe you won’t. But no matter what, don’t settle.”

The Outlander shrugged.

“How old are you by now, do you know?” asked Ark.

“No clue,” responded the Outlander. “Three days? Guess this is my fourth now.”

Ark laughed aloud.

“I’d bet you’re around two decades through with your life,” he guessed. “Probably nothing shy of a year or two behind me. That means you’ve got plenty of time in your life yet to discover what you love. Probably a good four or five decades left to go. Maybe more, if you’re lucky.”

Decade? The Outlander had no concept of time beyond days. He hadn’t yet fathom weeks and months, let alone years or decades. Everything still felt so small. How could someone live for so long? What did they do with all that time?

“I see great promise in you, Outlander,” said Ark. “I hope I get to join you on your journeys ahead.”

The Outlander smiled. Happiness was becoming more common to him now.

“Look!” Ark cried out. “Trees.”

Ark pulled his bow out from behind and began running toward a spire far in the distance. The Outlander didn’t know what to do, so he began running after him. Ark was far faster than him, but he eventually caught up. Ark was waiting beside one of the trees.

These are so much bigger than the ones in the city.

The tree was massive. It seemed to reach the breadth of the sky itself.

“Here we are,” Ark said. “The Hunters’ Grove.”

The trees seemed to go on forever. Darkness inhabited the depths of this grove; something he hadn’t seen since the cave back at Lazarus’ camp. Ark began walking into the trees, leaving the Outlander behind.

“C’mon, Outlander,” Ark called out. “We still have to get you to those Twin Trees.”

The Outlander followed behind quickly. The place around him was immense. It seemed to breathe its own life. It was filled with some sort of gentle presence that touched the Outlander as he reached out to feel the leaves and branches as the two moved between the trunk of the great oaks and firs. Ark was going on and on about tree terminology. After some time, the Outlander zoned out.

The two reached a tree stump. Ark jumped on top. The Outlander looked around and saw wooden circles hanging from the sides of other trees. They had holes in them. Two had arrows lodged in them.

“This is the Training Ground,” Ark proclaimed. “Young archers and hunters come here to train with their bows.”

The Outlander pulled his bow out from over his shoulder and grasped it.

“And this is where you will train,” Ark continued.

Ark hopped off the stump and ushered the Outlander to stand on it. The Outlander climbed on top of the stump and stood there, on display for the forest. Ready to embarrass himself to the woodland creatures of the day.

“We don’t have much time,” Ark explained. “We still need to get you to the Twin Trees before the sun starts its fall, but we can get in a few shots before we go.”

Ark walked over to a quiver of arrows that was leaning against a tree.

“Here,” he said as he grabbed the quiver. “You can use these. Sometimes people forget their quivers here. We lucked out this time; otherwise I’d have to let you use mine. When we get back into town, I’ll get you a quiver of your own.”

Ark smiled as he handed the Outlander the quiver.

“Alright, now raise your bow like this,” Ark instructed. The Outlander mimicked him.

“Good,” he continued. “Now grab an arrow from the quiver.”

Ark acted out the motions and the Outlander mirrored.

“Then place it in the bow like so.”

Ark armed his bow. So did the Outlander.

“After that, you just need to aim,” Ark aimed at the wooden target furthest from him. “Pull back,” Ark squinted his right eye. “And let go.”

Ark released his arrow and it landed just shy of the center. The Outlander did so as well, but the arrow fell to the ground below his feet.

Ark let out a gentle laugh.

“You’ll get the hang of it,” he said. “You just need to do it with some power. Confidence, Outlander: it’s the key to success in any discipline.”

After roughly an hour of trial and error, the Outlander managed to hit the base of a tree.

“Atta boy!” exclaimed Ark, loudly. “That’s a start, kid; it’s a start!”

Ark patted the Outlander on the back, proudly. The Outlander grinned back.

“I don’t expect you to be a pro just yet, but we’ll have plenty of time to work on it,” Ark said. “Now, let’s get you to those Twin Trees so you can find whatever it is you’re looking for.”

Ark led the Outlander through the deeper ends of the woods, showing him everything there is to show about trees, their anatomy, and how they function as living beings. He told stories about the creatures that inhabit these forests and why he hunted them not out of spite, but out of sport.

“It’s part of the natural cycle of life,” Ark announced as they crossed paths with a small rodent. “We hunt to eat. We hunt to sell. We hunt to survive. Death breeds life, life breeds death, and so on it goes.”

Ark drew his bow and shot the rodent in the thigh. He walked over to it and grabbed it off the ground.

“At first, it feels so wrong,” he said, holding the small animal. “But…”

Ark took notice of the Outlander’s concerned expression.

“Look over there Outlander,” Ark pointed to a thin tree. “It’s a mothbark. Very rare in these woods. Very rare anywhere, really. Would you give me a leaf from its branches? They’re very broad. Make excellent fires and hold vale-leaves expertly.”

The Outlander walked over to the tree and grabbed a leaf off the branch. They were heavier than the other leaves, which surprised him. He hadn’t even paid attention to the concept of things so light even having weight at all.

When the Outlander turned around, he saw the rodent tied to the back of Ark’s satchel. It was dead. The Outlander looked at Ark quizzically, shrugged, and handed him the leaf.

“I’m sure I’ll find some use for this later,” Ark said. “Now, we’re almost there. Let’s get moving.”

Ark had tried to hide it, but the Outlander knew. After all, it was the cycle of life. Death breeds life, life breeds death, and so on it goes; just as Ark had said.

Death is just a part of life.

After a few short minutes, they arrived at two dead trees standing adjacent to one another. An aura emanated from them. It startled the Outlander from within. This must be…

“The Twin Trees,” Ark interrupted the Outlander’s shock. “This is where I leave you.”

Ark placed his hand on the Outlander’s shoulder.

“I hope you find what you’re looking for, friend,” he said to the boy. “But whatever it is, I ask that you keep me as far away from it as possible.”

Ark began walking in the direction from whence they came.

“I’ll be back at these trees when the sky reveals its first hue of orange,” he called out while walking. “Don’t be late. I’m leaving at sundown, with or without you. These forests get quite dangerous at night.”

With that, Ark was gone. The Outlander was alone. Now it was time to find the woman Lazarus had sent him to seek out.

The Outlander took a step toward the trees, but became overwhelmed with fear.

Something was in these woods. Something foreign and powerful.

The Outlander took a deep breath, swallowed, then darted through the Twin Trees. He emerged into a dark neck of the woods. Sunlight, it seemed, had disappeared, but he could still see. Light was radiating off the trees. The breeze he had felt before had warmed into a soft blanket of heat. This place was comforting. It was like a home.

“Hello!?” cried out the Outlander, desperate to find this woman and not having the first clue how.

“Lazarus sent me!” he shouted.

The Outlander began waking deeper and deeper into the woods, calling out all the way.

“Hello! Lazarus couldn’t make it, so he sent me in his stead!” he continued to call into the darkness. “Is anyone here?”

He continued to trek further and further into the trees. Nothing seemed to be changing. It all looked the same. After a while, he wasn’t sure how far he had travelled and certainly had no clue how much farther he had to go.

Just then, the Outlander remembered the leather strap Lazarus had given him. He grabbed it from his trousers.

“He told me to give you this!” the Outlander cried out, louder this time. “Please help me! I owe him this much! He saved my life!”

The Outlander moved through the trees until, suddenly, he emerged into an open area with sunlight peering in from above. There were some bushes littered about, but it was a wide expanse with almost no trees.

“Hello?” the Outlander asked aloud. “Is someone here?”

The air became comforting and soothing. The aura that had been so fearsome evolved into something calming. He felt like he heard gentle music playing in the distance.

“I’ve been waiting for you, child,” a voice called out from in the distance.

The Outlander walked into the center of the grove and held up the leather strap.

“This is for you,” the Outlander shouted.

“What is your name?” the voice asked, closer this time.

“Outlander,” he replied.

“Very well, Outlander,” the voice commanded, now right in front of him. The Outlander wanted to jump back in fear, but he was now unable to move.

Suddenly, a blinding white light consumed one of the trees. Then, it was gone. In its place stood the figure of a woman, herself shrouded in a brilliant aura of light. There was no sound left in the woods. The creatures had stopped moving, the breeze had stopped blowing, and the music had stopped playing.

“Now, we shall begin your training,” she said, cutting through the silence like a blade into flesh.

Suddenly the leather strap caught fire. The Outlander dropped it and yelled out in surprise and pain. A ring of fire surrounded the grove. The woman, previously consumed in white light became engulfed in flames. Balls of fire coming from her direction targeted the Outlander.

He ran in fear, hiding behind one of the trees remaining inside the circle of flames. He caught his breath and started to plan what he could do next. Soon, however, the tree itself became ablaze with fire. It fell to the ground, leaving the Outlander exposed once more.

“Feel it within you, Outlander,” the woman said. “Channel your fear. Make it something far more powerful.”

The Outlander made a bee line for the other tree. The woman, taking notice, burned the tree where it stood. The Outlander stood once again in the middle of the grove, shaking in fear.

“Stop running, Outlander,” she said, calmly. “React.”

The Outlander jumped out of the way of one of the fireballs. The grass was catching fire.

“I have nothing on me but a bow I can’t use,” he said. “I cannot fight you.”

The woman seemed to ignore him. She volleyed more fireballs in his direction. He continued rolling and jumping, trying to dodge them. The fear within him had nearly climaxed.

“What you feel inside of you can be used,” she said. “Focus. Channel it. Fire back.”

The Outlander was catching on. He focused on the fire around him, then stared at his hand. Just then, another volley of fireballs came his way. He jumped back, nearly into the burning grass. He was surrounded on all sides by fire.

“This is your time, Outlander,” she said, once more. “The moment of action. Will you accept the call, or fall like so many others before you?”

A large fireball started falling from above. The Outlander started snapping his fingers. Soon, he got a spark. The Outlander laughed quietly to himself, then jumped through the burning grass. He yelled out in pain, but reached dry ground on the other side. His flesh was burned, but not ablaze. It certainly hurt, but he could still move, so he started snapping his fingers until he had a small flame on his index finger; only, it didn’t burn him.

He controlled it.

Some more volleys of fireballs came his way, but he jumped to dodge them and started firing small bolts of fire from his fingertips at the woman. After he fired some small bolts, he tried conjuring a ball of fire from his palm. It was pitiful, but bigger than the bolts he had fired from his fingertips. He launched it at her. She seemed to be deflecting his attacks.

He theorized he could fire a bigger bolt from all four fingertips at one instance rather than four individual, smaller bolts that had little effect on her. He didn’t have time to test it out, or she’d know about his plan. He decided he wouldn’t aim head on, but he’d fire a barrage of small bolts from his fingertips, then he’d fire the bigger bolt from all four fingers while she dodged those.

They’ll need to be fast, he thought to himself while jumping out of the way of yet another volley of fireballs.

Suddenly, the Outlander fired four small bolts of fire from each fingertip on his left hand in quick succession of one another, then, jumping sideways onto the ground, he fired one large bolt, swiping his right hand upward as he fell hard on his right side, hurting his arm. The larger bolt managed to graze her left cheek.

Immediately, the fire that had burned the grove stopped. The Outlander covered his head in fear and assumed the fetal position, groaning in pain; shaking with fear. He was certain she would kill him now, and there was no way he could get back up and fight any more. He was finished.

Then, without warning, the fire consuming the woman ceased, the ring of fire surrounding the grove disappeared, and the scorched earth around him returned to a brilliant green. The burns on his feet and lower legs and the fracture in his right arm had all be healed; as if they never happened at all. The Outlander emerged from his cocoon-like state and slowly rose to his feet.

There, standing before him, was a beautiful woman with bright yellow-orange hair, covered in a thin pinkish white robe with the hood draped over her head and a crest at the center of her chest with a symbol he did not recognize, but felt like he had seen before. Her eyes were piercing blue and peeked out just below the hood. Her skin was fair and youthful. She smiled broadly; her hands resting at her side.

“You’ve done well, Outlander,” she said, still smiling. “You show great promise. Now, you must head north to a ruin outside the city of Es Sharam. There, you will meet a man. He’s waiting for you. He will continue where we left off.”

Suddenly, the whitish-yellow sunlight peering in from above morphed into a brilliant orange.

“Now, go, Outlander,” she finished. “Your friend is waiting for you.”

She pointed in the direction of the Twin Trees now standing directly to her right.

“I’ll be watching you,” she said as a brilliant orange light consumed her body and she disappeared from view.

“Wait!” the Outlander cried out. “What man?! What training?! Who are you?!”

But it was no use. The Deep Woods had returned to normal. The animals began humming, the trees began whistling, and the music began singing.

“Why me…?” the Outlander muttered as he dropped his head, giving up.

The Outlander walked toward the Twin Trees and emerged back into the Hunters’ Grove. There, Ark was waiting impatiently.

“’Bout time, man,” he said, leaning against a tree, sharpening a stick with his knife. “Was beginning to think I’d have to come in after you.”

The Outlander had a look of dazed confusion on his face. Ark grinned.

“Did you find what you were looking for?” he asked his petrified, young friend.

“I think so,” the Outlander muttered. “But I have no idea what it was.”

Ark walked over to the Outlander and placed his arm around his shoulders and started walking home.

“Weird stuff in there, right?” he said jokingly. “Told you no one goes in there for a reason. To be honest, I’m surprised you’re alive.”

Ark let out a hearty laugh and took his arm off the boy.

They travelled for some time in silence until they reached the edge of the woods. Ark had stopped a few times to hunt some “twilight creatures,” as he called them. His back was now covered in small animals that were tied up. He was carrying a bag, probably filled with animals. It seemed to be a productive day… for both of them.

Emerging from the woods, Ark took notice of the dying sun, “Looks like we made it out just in time. Now, let’s try to make it to the gates before sundown, or we may end up locked out.”

Ark laughed, but now the Outlander was concerned. Ark slapped the Outlander on the back and the two continued walking.

“Let’s just get home for tonight, Outlander,” Ark continued. “We can go to the Market District tomorrow if you want. I’m beat and I want to sleep.”

After talking for some time about the kinds of animals Ark trapped, or the size of the bear he almost encountered, or the fairies he had caught in jars, they arrived back at the front gate of Es Sharam.

“Wait-” Ark started.

“I know, I know,” the Outlander interrupted. “Wait here.”

Ark smiled, then walked over to the guard post. He showed the man the paper he had shown the previous guard earlier that day, then pointed at the Outlander. The man nodded his head and rang the bell and the gates started to open. This was becoming rout for the Outlander and the marvel had started to wear off.

The two reentered the city. The life of the daytime had started to dissipate. Shops were closing up, people were heading home, and the city was readying itself for sleep. After passing by the same buildings he had seen now three times, they started to come close to the Integration Office. He realized now that he hadn’t talked to Aster today like he had wanted.

“Ark,” the Outlander asked, cutting their brief silence following Ark’s most recent tale.

“Yeah?” he responded.

“Would you mind if we stopped by Aster’s office?” the Outlander inquired. “I told him I’d talk to him today.”

“You’re welcome to,” he answered. “I’m still rather drowsy. I’ll take you there, but then we’ll probably part ways. You know your way home, right?”

The Outlander nodded in response.

The two approached the Integration Office just before it closed.

“Alright, Outlander,” Ark said. “This is where we part ways for tonight. I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

“Yup,” the Outlander confirmed.

“Ok, I’m heading over to the Market District around daybreak,” Ark explained. “I’ll be there all day, so feel free to drop by at any point. I’ll show you around the city after I pack up. Until then, be safe getting home, Outlander.”

“Same to you, Ark,” the Outlander responded.

With that, Ark made his trek back to their building as the Outlander entered the Integration Office. Inside, Urà was doing paperwork. She looked up once he shut the door behind him.

“Well hello again, Outlander,” Urà announced, cheerily. “Long time, no see.”

“Hello Urà,” the Outlander reacted. “Is Aster still here?”

“First one in, last one out,” she answered. “’sbeen that way for thirty years, I’m afraid. He’s back in his office. Go right on in.”

“Thank you,” he said.

“Mmhmm,” she responded with a grin.

The Outlander approached Aster’s office and knocked on the door.

“Enter,” came the old man’s familiar voice.

The Outlander turned the knob and entered the office he first seen just two days ago.

That felt like years ago.

“Outlander!” he said. “What can I do ya for, boy? Have a seat!”

The Outlander walked over to the chair in front of his desk and sat down.

“I’m staying late tonight,” Aster explained. “Nikk is supposed to be coming in with another refugee from Lazarus’ camp. You’re welcome to stay and wait for him, if you’d like.”

The Outlander smiled remembering Nikk: “Sure. I’ll wait to see him.”

“So, is everything all right?” he asked the Outlander. “You figure out how to read that map yet?”

“Yes and yes,” the Outlander answered, reaching into his trousers for the map.

The Outlander returned the map to Aster. He took the map and stood up. He walked over to his bookshelf.

“It serve you well?” he asked.

“It did,” the Outlander responded. “Very well.”

Aster returned the map into one of his books and walked back to his desk and sat down.

“Well, what did you find?” he asked. “If you don’t mind my asking, of course.”

The Outlander pondered it for a moment, but decided to tell Aster everything that had happened.

After telling the entire tale of what had happened throughout the day, even the mystical events in the Deep Woods, Aster started scratching his beard.

“So, you lost entire hours out of the day in a matter of moments?” he inquired of the boy.

“Yes,” he answered.

“Fascinating,” Aster reacted. “Very intriguing. Have you told anyone else? Ark?

“No, sir.”

“Then I recommend you keep it that way. I also recommend you go to that ruin to see what she wants. If she had intended to harm you, she very easily could’ve back in the Deep Woods. It’s not like you have any affiliation with anyone or anything she might be looking to undermine for her own advantage. And besides, Lazarus seemed to trust this woman, so I will too. I’ll do a little research and get you the information on the ruin. Give me a few days and come back here. We’ll make sure you have everything you need.”

Just then, Urà yelled back into the hallway: “Aster, Nikk’s back!”

“Let’s go, Outlander,” Aster said. “I’m sure Nikk will be happy to see you. We’ll talk more about this later.”

The two emerged from Aster’s office, Aster leading the way, and entered the front room once more. Nikk was standing there with a young girl at his side. She looked a few years younger than the Outlander. She was utterly terrified.

“Her name is Ruta,” Nikk announced. “And she’s a quiet one.”

Nikk rested his hand on her shoulder. She looked up at Aster, eyes wide and still in shock. The Outlander walked slowly up to her and rested his left hand on her right shoulder.

“It’s gonna be all right, Ruta,” he said. “You have friends here. You have a home.”

Nikk looked at Aster and grinned. Aster smiled back.

“He’s right, Ruta,” Aster interjected. “Now, follow me back here and let’s find you that home of yours, ok?”

Ruta nodded and followed Aster.

“Poor girl was wearing tattered clothing the whole trek,” Nikk said aloud once the two had left. “I had nothing that fit her. She’s too small. Lazarus said he’d never met such a shy, scared individual in his life.”

“Well, hopefully she fits right in here and finds herself some friends,” replied Urà from her paperwork.

Nikk looked over at the Outlander, who was still staring down the hallway, and smirked.

“How’ve you been, bud?” Nikk asked.

The Outlander looked back at Nikk and smirked back.

“Okay,” he said. “I’m making it.”

Nikk ruffled his hair.

“Good,” he said to the boy. “I almost started to worry about you out there.”

Nikk looked out the window at the consuming twilight.

“Y’know,” he began. “Lazarus found that girl just hours after I picked you up. Poor thing barely remembered anything, but memories have been slowly finding their way back into her head.”

He looked down at the Outlander.

“She may have some answers,” he said. “Y’know, about you.”

The Outlander stood there, encapsulated in thoughts once again; his mouth agape as he looked back down the hallway toward Aster’s office.

“At any rate,” Nikk blurted out. “I have to make one last errand before I pack it in for the night.”

“Can I come along?” the Outlander asked, excited to be with Nikk once more.

“Not this time, Outlander,” Nikk replied. “Gotta take care of this one alone. We’ll have plenty of other opportunities to do other things in the future. That is, if you play your cards right.”

Nikk looked over at Urà.

“I’m off,” he called to her.

“Tell him hi for me,” Urà responded.

Nikk chuckled and started leaving the Integration Office.

“Farewell once more, Outlander,” Nikk said to the boy. “May we meet again, in good time.”

Nikk exited the building and made his way south toward the Outlander’s and Ark’s flats. The Outlander stood there staring blankly for a moment before turning to Urà.

“Would you tell Aster that I decided to head home,” the Outlander told Urà. “It’s been a long day.”

Urà smirked.

“All right, boy,” she answered. “Be safe out there.”

The Outlander started walking to the door.

“Oh, and Outlander,” Urà called out to him.

He turned around.

“Don’t upset him,” she said.

The Outlander’s face turned bright red as he darted to the door. She knew. The Outlander snuck out the front door of the building and darted quietly along the side of the road until he spotted Nikk again. He kept quiet, not wanting to startle him in the darkness, fearing a reaction that would result in the same thing that happened to the bandit that snuck behind him during the battle with Azubar’s gang. Nikk held himself in confident composure, even though no man was watching him. Nothing about the man seemed suspicious, but somehow that itself was suspicious. The Outlander wanted to see what he was up to.

An hour of walking had passed. They walked through empty districts and marketplaces. Only three or four people passed by him; one of which Nikk had stopped to give a friendly hug and have a brief conversation. It was quiet. The Outlander couldn’t make out the words spoken between the two. The men parted ways and continued on. Within the hour of time, the Outlander saw magnificent structures. Near the end of the journey, the Outlander noticed a massive structure with colossal columns jutting into the sky and piercing the darkness. The building had ornate statues and plaques littered across the walls and along the perimeter. It was magnificent, though daunting. Such vanity.

When the brief journey had come to a close, Nikk approached an even greater structure. It was a large gate. On the other side of the gate, the Outlander recognized the silhouette in the moonlight. It was the castle he had seem since he had been here. Being so close, it was so much more immense than the Outlander had envisioned. It rivaled the immensity of the mesas in the Wastes. The Outlander, who had kept his distance, was now hidden behind the bushes as Nikk spoke to the guard. Nikk said something and the guard nodded and waved at the top of the wall. Next, the ground shook, though less so than it had when the two had first entered the city.

“You coming?” called a voice, breaking the Outlander’s trance. “Well? What say you, runt?”

The Outlander, not knowing who Nikk was speaking to, began to quietly dart in the opposite direction, back to his flat, but a blade grazed his face and lodged itself into the wall on his left, standing behind the bushes. Next, the Outlander felt a presence. He turned around and Nikk was staring down directly into his eyes; a staidly furious gaze that terrified him to his core.

“What are you doing?! Stalking me in the night?!” shouted Nikk beneath his breath, so as to not cause a scene in the dead of night.

“I’m sorry Nikk, I didn’t mean to cause trouble, really,” the Outlander begged. “I just… I wanted to talk to you. That’s all.”

“Did it not occur to you at any point, by the time we’d reached the Government District if nowhere else, that I was on a business run?” explained Nikk, only slightly less enraged now. “By the Light, you’ve been following me for over an hour now! Your persistence will be your folly, Child of Babel.”

Had he known the entire time?

“Why didn’t you say anything?” asked the Outlander.

“Why didn’t you?” responded Nikk. “Look, go home. Get some rest. Let me do my job. We can talk another day, but not now; not here.”

Suddenly, a voice called from out in the distance: “Nikk? What keeps you?”

Nikk turned around immediately and kneeled on one knee and placed his forearm on his breast.

“My apologies, my liege,” responded Nikk.

Suddenly, from the shadows emerged a tall man, with dark hair down to his shoulders and a beard on his jaw and upper lip, donned in gold silk and white cloth. Atop his head, rested a golden circle with ridges, bedazzled with color and jewels glistening even in the moonlight. On his right breast was a red patch with an insignia on it. Below the emblem were the letters “D A E N T.” The Outlander knew not what this meant, but recognized the magnitude of the individual to some capacity. If he was powerful enough to bring Nikk Gunner to his knees, then he was worthy of something magnanimous. The Outlander, too, dropped to his knee and placed his right arm on his torso.

“Forgive me,” explained Nikk. “This boy has been following me since the Gold District and I was just telling him to return home.”

“Rise,” commanded the man. Nikk immediately rose to his feet, so the Outlander followed suit. “Is he a friend of yours?”

Nikk looked at the boy, pondering the question. Then, he closed his eyes, dropped his head, and sighed: “Yes.”

“Then he is welcome in my Court,” the man offered. He then extended his right hand to the boy. The boy responded by grabbing it. Then, the man placed his left hand on the other side of the boy’s hand, gripping his full palm.

“It is a pleasure to meet you, my friend,” said the man. “What is your name?”

Nikk placed his own hand on his forehead and exhaled.

“Outlander,” responded the boy.

The man looked confused and glanced at Nikk, still holding the boys hand. Nikk stared back at him with an empty, indifferent gaze, shrugged his shoulders, and shook his head in vexation. The man looked back at the confident young man and smiled. Then he let out a bellowing laugh.

“Ok then, ‘Outlander,’ it’s a pleasure to meet you,” said the man happily. “I am Elser.”

Elser.

Wait.

Nikk had mentioned this man.

Aster had mentioned him as well.

Had Lazarus, too, mentioned him?

This was him: Elser Dant.

The King of the Wastes.



© 2018 Shepard Rhodes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
Added on March 9, 2018
Last Updated on March 13, 2018


Author

Shepard Rhodes
Shepard Rhodes

Muncie, IN



About
Not much to say. I write books and music. I'm a nice guy, but insanely melodramatic. Yep, that just about covers it. If you haven't played Undertale, do it. more..

Writing