Chapter VI: The King of the Wastes

Chapter VI: The King of the Wastes

A Chapter by Shepard Rhodes
"

The Outlander meets a man of great prestige and stature.

"

Aforemention

-

The water subsided but the people dare not release the shield for fear of what lay beyond. The boy, now a man, concurred. But the people he knew began dying around him. He became even more of a recluse. Sadness overtook his soul, they say. Grief turned into anger. Anger turned into fear. Fear turned into… well… we don’t really know.

They built a shrine on his friend’s grave. It was revered as the holiest of sites in the city. The king built a castle high up in the mountain and the boy built himself a tower. He visited the shrine each day until he was an elderly man. He would leave early in the day before anyone awoke. He left a bed of roses on the doorstep of the shrine. One day, the roses stopped showing up. Instead, was a note: “I will always be there.”

 

Chapter 6: The King of the Wastes

-

A breeze fell over the city. The night grew stale and the morning knocked on the darkened sky; unreceptive at first, it would only be a matter of hours before its door would be broken down and daybreak would explode across the clouds and the dawn would be reborn, as it had done for millennia. But, before that could be allowed, there was much to be done in the still of the night, and, although Nikk had protested, the king had won and, disgruntledly, Nikk allowed the boy to come along.

Elser Dant opened the massive, silver doors at the center of his ornate residence entering into a massive room with a gold and diamond throne with two trees on either side. There was a lengthy, scarlet rug trailing down the stairs that raised the throne above the floor and trailed all the way to the silver doors, where it cut off into small, golden tassels. The brick, in contrast to the sandstone that had made up the rest of the castle, in this room, was a brilliant, pure, white marble with faint grey swirls dancing within it.

To the right of the throne was a small wooden door adjacent to one of the two massive torches that helped to light the throne. Behind the throne was a wall of fire below the huge, vaulted ceiling. Along the sides of the vaulted ceiling were massive, ornate stained glass windows depicting different scenes and events, but the Outlander could not understand anything from them. A banner dropped from the pinnacle of the vaulted ceiling; on it was the same crest on Elser’s tunic. In massive words just above the fire were, again, the letters “D A E N T.” Smaller torches and candelabras decorated the walls on the left and right of the throne room. Other modest, formal decorations dotted the room, but were minimal. It felt empty, but warm.

“Outlander, friend of Nikk Gunner,” stated King Elser. “I am about to allow you entry into the most private of chambers of my court. In here, you are to meet my minister of arms, my financial minister, the highest ranking knight in my Order, my personal advisor, my wife, one of my sons--my heir, both of their advisors, my entire team of outstanding citizens, and, of course, my most trusted personal courier.”

He looked over at Nikk and smirked.

“I am seeking your help with an issue my advisors and myself cannot resolve,” continued Elser, looking now at Nikk. “I’ll explain upon entry.”

The three, along with the king’s personal guardian-knights, began walking toward the wooden door to the right of the throne. The Outlander took notice to four small idols with unique symbols on each in a small grotto behind the throne and the fire. Just then, the guardian-knights opened the small door and the company entered into a small room with many people; somewhere around fifteen. The room was made of wood. There were no windows. A small fireplace was lit, keeping the room warm. Two small torches hung on the two walls along either side. A long, wooden table with a scarlet cover, with yet again the Daent crest in the center, was in the center of the room, proportional from the sides.

The king made his way to the slightly larger, cushioned chair in front of the fireplace on the opposite side of the room from the door. Nikk walked to a chair that was likely reserved for him. The king’s guardian-knights guarded the doorway, two on the outside, two remaining inside, then shut the door and locked it.

“Outlander, sit here,” commanded Nikk, cutting into the silence hanging in the room following the closing door.

Though confused that Nikk would offer him his chair, he did not question and sat at the chair. Nikk placed his hands on the Outlander’s shoulders. His grip was tight.

“Members of my Court, my family, and the outstanding citizens from my realm whose advice I value to the highest esteem,” began Elser. “I welcome you, once again, to the High Court of Es Sharam and the Court of my Forefathers.”

“We honor you, Elser Dant, son of Efiris, and we thank you,” responded the group in unison, save the woman and the boy on the other side of the table; presumably the king’s family.

“You may have taken notice of the boy within our midst,” explained the king with a grin. “He may prove to be of some use to us. He is a friend of Nikk’s and, as I trust Gunner with my life, any man, or child, worthy of his trust is worthy of ours as well.”

Nikk looked down at the young man sitting in his chair, wondering what use he may provide for the King of the Wastes.

“Decius, would you explain our situation?” asked King Elser to a man toward his right.

“Yes, my liege,” began the older man. “As you all well know, our most recent plans have been rescinded provided the most recent information from Nikk’s last excursion. As a result, my team and I have gone back to square one to rebuild a plan of attack on the City. However, as per usual, we need a better understanding of the environment in the area, the movement of the bandits as of late, and place of weakness in the walls. Once we are provided that information in some capacity, we will continue the plan and launch our strategic assaults on particular encampments and villages surrounding the City to secure all of the land around Babel before our proper invasion of the City itself.”

“We are all aware of the most recent expedition that resulted in the loss of ten men at the hands of Habagar’s demons,” interjected the king, glancing toward Nikk.

“My intelligence was flawed,” mumbled Nikk. “I apologize for my inadequacy. Their blood is on my hands and I must live with that until I die.”

“Nikk, we do not blame you for their deaths,” explained King Elser. “But I cannot allow it to happen again. In order to finish Decius’ plans, we need very particular intelligence about a bandit encampment near a site that we need control of in order to launch the attack without interference from the Demons of the West. Nikk, I need you and your young friend here to investigate this encampment and clear it if you think you can. Otherwise, report back here and we can assign you a company to take care of the job. If it is abandoned, then we can proceed without concern.”

“Why the boy?” asked Nikk right away.

“Nikk, we’ve talked about this before,” stated King Elser bluntly. “You need to select an apprentice.”

“Your Excellency, f you do not trust me, or think I am inept to your cause, then release me from your service,” demanded Nikk, harshly.

“I trust you with my life and my armies,” boomed King Elser, rising to his feet. “Nikk Gunner, if I release you from my service, then I risk failing my people. I will not have that.”

Elser stared a Nikk until he looked down. Then, Elser sat down again.

“Nikk,” he continued. “There is much more to this. My daughter, Valen, has been working on this effort behind the scenes with Decius for a few days now. She is going to take this up, but not on her own. I need you to go with her and lead her mission. Your investigation of the encampment is the first part of her plan to regain footing in the Wastes and to control the plains surrounding Babel before we begin our assault.”

“Valen planned this?” Nikk inquired. “Then why have me lead it?”

“Because Valen is young,” Elser answered. “She’s ambitious and far more headstrong than her father, and I worry for her safety. You’re experienced and conditioned as a tactician, soldier, and spy. She is none of those things. This is one of her first missions she’s ever been on; certainly the biggest.”

Elser paused, scratching his beard.

“She’s far more capable than I am, but I worry my vision is clouded. I think I might believe in her too much. I need a level head involved.”

“Then I will provide that,” Nikk interjected. “If that’s what you need from me, Your Grace, then I will comply.”

“I would expect no less,” Elser said, calmly. “You do so much for me, Gunner. You’re a far greater man than I will ever be. And I thank you.”

Elser smiled as he looked at Nikk. Then, his smile dropped.

“Please do not assume my persistence in you adopting an apprentice as one out of a lack of faith,” Elser reassured. “This boy clearly likes you and your company, and it’s not every day the great Nikk Gunner comes to my court with a boy he calls his ‘friend.’”

Nikk glared at the Outlander.

“I can see you have found companionship with this boy,” Elser continued. “Whether you’ll openly admit it or not, I can see great potential in your friendship, and, as King of the Wastes, I reserve the right to force it, if I must.”

Elser turned back to face Decius, his minister of arms.

“Now, Valen needs an archer,” Elser proclaimed to the court. “And she needs a good one.”

“I know one,” the Outlander blurted out, forgetting the gravity of the situation at hand and the weight of the room around him, and regretting immediately having said it. Nikk eyes bolted directly down at the boy. His grip on his shoulders tightened. The room fell silent for a moment. The queen smiled openly and looked inquisitively at the boy that had just spoken.

“Do you?” Elser asked.

“Ignore the boy, Your Highness,” Nikk responded.

“I do,” the Outlander persisted.

Now the entire court was smirking; some with shocked looks on their previously staid faces.

“Is he any good?” Elser asked the boy.

“Your Majesty,” Nikk interjected again. “Just assign me with an archer from your ranks. A soldier will do far better than some Gold District refugee. No offense to the boy.”

“No,” Decius boomed. “I will not have this classified as a military operation. I don’t want the Parliament and the Courts reading briefings of our actions regarding this matter.”

“He’s right, Nikk,” Elser added. “If we get the legions involved then Parliament and the Courts will be breathing down our necks for reports and status updates, and many are likely to become public. If word got out of our plans here, then the masses would panic. We need to keep this operation civilian and covert. That’s why I very much like the idea of this boy aiding you. He’s certainly no soldier, and I mean that fondly.”

Nikk grunted, then eased his grip, defeated.

“Now, Outlander, dear boy,” Elser proceeded to address him again. “Who is this archer?”

“Ark Daliss,” the Outlander announced. “A hunter from the Gold District. He’s the only archer I’ve ever seen, but he amazed me. He hit every target out in the Training Grounds this morning. He’s smart, skilled, and I trust him.”

Elser smiled. “Well, if he has caught your eye, then potentially he could catch ours as well.”

The king looked over to his minister of arms again.

“Decius,” he said to his minister. “Can we set up a meeting at the end of the week to meet with this ‘Ark Daliss?’”

“Certainly sir,” the minister responded. “High noon of Evenfall?”

“Yes,” the king responded. “Kethis, write that down for me, will you? Make sure I don’t forget. And Outlander.”

The Outlander looked the king directly in the eyes.

“We will assume Ark will accept our call to arms,” he said to the boy. “But we will send Nikk to his flat tomorrow at high noon to confirm he will be in attendance this Evenfall at high noon.”

The Outlander had a confused look on his face.

“What day is it today?” he asked the room.

The court was taken aback by this simple question.

“Why, today is the Day of Conviction, as we have just recently passed into it, with two more days after this before the Day of Evenfall,” the king laughed.

“My apologies,” Nikk said to the king. “The two of us haven’t had time to go over the days of the week yet, it would appear.”

The king laughed once again.

“Then this will conclude this special session,” the king decided. “We shall assemble once again at the fleeting moments before Eventide.”

The king rose to his feet.

“Go home, dear friends,” he said to his court. “Sleep. Babel will feel the force our steel in time. Adjourned.”

“Hail! King of Es Sharam!” announced the room in unison, jumping to their feet and saluting; once again, save the woman and child at the opposite end of the table.

The guards unlocked the door as the king joined hands with the boy and the woman and exited the room with his guardian-knights as their escort.

“C’mon,” Nikk said, curtly. “Let’s get you back to your flat.”

The Outlander jumped to his feet and followed Nikk as the two tried to wedge their way out of the room and back into the throne room. Not a word was uttered by either one until they exited the throne room and the castle altogether. The dawn had started to creep into the sky. The pitch black, starry sky had started to bleed blue. The stars were losing their sparkle as they started to hide behind the blanket of daybreak.

Once they were off castle grounds, Nikk uttered: “Follow me again and I’ll have to cut your head clean off your chest.”

The Outlander looked up at Nikk, concerned. Nikk did not return his gaze.

“You embarrassed me in front of the one man I answer to,” Nikk continued, clearly angry in his words, but not in his tone. “I have yet in my life to feel that emotion and somehow you’ve drawn it out.”

The Outlander frowned and started to look at the ground as they walked. Some heavy silence fell over the two for a brief time before Nikk spoke again.

“Who is Ark Daliss?” he asked, dryly. The Outlander looked up. Nikk’s face still showed no clear emotion.

“My flat-mate,” the Outlander answered.

Nikk looked over at the boy, confused.

“Your flat-mate?” he asked, his tone gaining some ire. “You’re entrusting the king’s mission with your flat-mate?”

“I meant what I said in there,” the Outlander insisted, innocently.

“Yes, but you neglected to mention he was simply in the handful of individuals you’ve actually said more than one word to,” Nikk parried back, clearly annoyed. “A list of which I could count on one hand. Your pool of candidates is inefficiently miniscule.”

Nikk let out a sigh.

“But I suppose giving him the opportunity to prove his ability will do me no harm in the long run,” Nikk declared plainly.

“I think you’ll like him,” the Outlander pronounced. “He’s smart. Capable. Reminds me of you.”

“Everyone reminds you of me,” Nikk stated back. “You’ve met like five people.”

The Outlander grinned broadly and jabbed Nikk gently in the side.

“Don’t mistake my composure with complacency,” Nikk uttered beneath his breath. “I’m still very much annoyed with you.”

The two walked in silence the rest of the way back to the Outlander’s flat. Once they arrived at the front step, Nikk made his last statements of the night, just as night broke into dawn.

“I have never been one to allow emotions to cloud my judgement,” Nikk said to the boy. “Not even anger. If the king needs me to take on an apprentice, well, then I suppose you’re a better candidate than the others he’s proposed to me in the past. So I’ll train you, boy; with a dagger in my side, I will train you. But at this point, after all that, you’re not allowed back down. You want to latch onto my side like a leech, then I will no longer attempt to spare you from the life that I lead. You’ve fallen head first into my world due to your unrelenting, unapologetic persistence, and it may very well, as I said earlier, be your folly.”

Nikk turned his back to the Outlander.

“I’ll be back here this afternoon,” Nikk said to the Outlander. “To meet with this ‘Ark Daliss’ fellow and to begin your first lesson.”

He paused for a moment without moving.

“I don’t know what the king has planned for us,” he muttered quietly. “But I’ll play along.”

He started walking back toward the castle.

“For now,” he said back to the Outlander as he walked away.

With that, the Outlander watched as Nikk disappeared from his view. After he was gone, the Outlander turned and started climbing up the stairs. It hadn’t hit him until he made it to the top how tired he was. He had been awake now for a full day, even if he had lost some chunk of the day in the woods. So much had happened in so little time. He was ready to sleep. He didn’t even want to try to think.

He trudged over to the front door of his flat. He opened the door slowly and wandered in like a ghost, locking the door behind him. He shut his window and locked it as well. He draped some fabric that had been folded up on the floor below over the window, hanging it from two hooks at the top of the frame. He continued over to his bedroom door and swung the door open, slamming it behind him. He fell onto his bed, face down. He didn’t bother to remove his clothes. He was unconscious before the thought even crossed his mind.

Then, just as quickly as he had faded into nonexistence, he felt consciousness rush back to his head like a levee breaking and flooding his mind with thoughts and decisions once more. Groggily and begrudgingly, he fell out of his bed and stood up. He felt a throbbing in his skull and a gross taste in his mouth. His eyes hurt to move up or to the sides. He couldn’t explain the feeling, but something in his upper chest felt different; almost empty. It wasn’t quite nausea, but something similar.

He walked out into his main room in a daze. He fixed himself something to eat; some greens and dry, salted meat. He sat down, his vision still blurred, and started eating. While he tried his best to enjoy the bland substance before him, his mind drifted to what Nikk had told him. He started thinking about the meeting and what the king and his minister of arms had been talking about.

Assault?

Was Es Sharam planning to hurt the people in Babel? Were they going to destroy the City?

He debated whether or not he wanted to ask Nikk about it later. He had absolutely no clue what time it was. Perhaps Nikk had already come and gone. It occurred to him that there was no light in his room because of the window. He took down the drape and saw the burning orange of the late afternoon sky. He assumed Nikk might have already gone away by now. He elected to change clothes and find Ark.

He ran back into his room and stripped his garments and replaced them with fresh ones before bolting out the door. However, right as he opened the door, Nikk was leaning against the wall staring out the window in the space between Ark’s and the Outlander’s flats, but toward Ark’s flat, so his body was facing the Outlander’s flat. He glanced down at the Outlander a moment after his door opened.

“You must’ve slept well,” Nikk murmured.

“Nikk,” said the Outlander, speechless.

“In case you’re wondering,” Nikk interjected, reading the Outlander’s thoughts. “No, I haven’t been standing here for hours. Probably only one, really. I knocked a while back, but figured you were asleep. I can keep myself occupied in one place for extended periods of time, no problem. Probably a skill I learned in my line of work.”

He smiled, sarcastically.

“Something I suppose you’ll pick up in time,” Nikk smirked.

The Outlander grinned.

“Shall we get moving?” asked the Outlander.

“Don’t get ahead of yourself boy,” Nikk said, dropping his smile. “Where is this ‘Ark Daliss’ fellow? He’s not in his room. At least, he’s not answering when I knock.”

The Outlander recalled what Ark had told him the night before.

“He’s out at the Market District,” he answered. “Selling his game from yesterday.”

“Then we will meet him there,” responded Nikk, decisively. “Let’s get a move on.”

The Outlander scurried to follow Nikk as they made their way down the staircase and out of the building. They trekked to the Market District, making little conversation as they went. The Outlander was the first to speak.

“Nikk?” asked the Outlander, sheepishly; knowing Nikk preferred to move in silence.

“Hmm?” reacted Nikk.

“At the meeting last night,” mumbled the Outlander.

“What about it?” asked Nikk, still moving with haste.

“They want to assault Babel?” the boy continued. “What do they mean by that?”

Nikk seemed disgruntled by the question, or at least bothered by it.

“It’s something you may struggle to understand,” Nikk stated plainly. “They want to decimate the City; wipe it completely off the map. Some sort of vengeance for their exiling of the refugees that find themselves alone and vulnerable in a hostile world. Maybe they see the City as a safe haven of sorts which contains great knowledge or wealth, or maybe they’re simply bloodthirsty. I don’t know, Outlander, and quite frankly, I don’t particularly care. I carry out the King’s orders because that’s what I’m paid to do.”

“Do you trust him,” asked the Outlander. “I mean, like he trusts you.”

Nikk sighed.

“Look Outlander,” he began. “If he wants you to train under me and for me to teach you all that I know about my job within the Kingdom, then I will. But if I do so, then you must in turn respect the confidentiality of the stuff we discuss together.”

The Outlander looked confused.

“I mean,” he clarified. “When we talk about anything, I’ll be completely honest with you, but you need to promise me you won’t tell anyone what we talk about.”

The Outlander nodded.

“No,” Nikk answered. “I don’t trust Elser in the same capacity that he trusts me. Maybe it’s just the nature of my job to be skeptical of everyone or maybe it’s just my nature, but trust doesn’t come easily. In fact, I fully expect you to go mouthing this off to Elser, and if you do, I’ll likely kill you, but regardless, he’ll keep me on even if he finds out about my lack of faith. Elser is a good man, to be certain. He wants what’s best for his people, so it’s not necessarily him that I don’t trust. I mean, if anyone out here is remotely deserving of my trust, it’s him, but…”

Nikk trailed off in thought. Their pace had slowed a bit as Nikk began to ponder what to say next.

“It’s Decius,” he went on. “And his financial minister, advisors, and everyone he surrounds himself with in that room. He’s impressionable, and that concerns me. I don’t think an assault on Babel will do any good for anyone. It’ll lead to a whole lot of bloodshed in these bandit raids and to no avail. No one can enter Babel; it’s impossible. It’s the most secure fortress in the entirety of Aria.

“It’s a mystery how the refugees find their way out, and I know Decius thinks we can use the answer to that question to find a way in, but I don’t see a need or an urgency to this mission and I see it as one made out of foolish pursuit of prestige and glory that will never come. I think the good work comes in simply rounding up the refugees that leave the City and simply trying to give them a better life.”

“Were you a refugee?” asked the Outlander.

Nikk smiled, amused by the question.

“No, Outlander,” he answered calmly. “I’ve been out here my whole life. No parents to remember. Been on my own since I was young.”

The two shared a moment of silence before Nikk started to quicken his pace again.

“Now that our game of inquiry is over, let’s meet this Ark Daliss before the sun sets, shall we?”

The Outlander nodded and picked up speed to keep up.

After a few more minutes, they arrived in the Market District. Ark could be found in the back corner of the central square. He was hidden amongst the numerous other hunters selling their goods on open market. The Outlander recognized some of the beasts he’d seen Ark capture. And the rodent. He saw the poor rodent that had lost his life; far too out of its league to stand a chance against someone so much bigger and stronger, like Ark. He was doomed from the start.

“Outlander!” shouted Ark, excited to see his friend. “I was beginning to wonder if you’d even show. What kept you?”

Ark took notice to the young man, a tad older than himself, walking with the Outlander.

“Who’s this?” Ark asked aloud. “Did you get in trouble with the authorities?”

“My name is Nikk Gunner,” announced Nikk. “Personal courier to King Elser.”

Ark stared at the man, mouth agape and his left eye wide open with his right brow drooped, in silence for a moment. He glanced over to the Outlander, who appeared nervous to begin the conversation, then back to Nikk.

“So you did get in trouble with the law,” stated Ark, breaking the silence he had created.

“No,” quipped Nikk. “Well, actually, that’s debatable, but that’s not why I’m here.”

Nikk extended his hand for Ark to shake. Ark looked at his hand, mouth still wide open in shock, then extended his own to shake back.

“Ark Daliss, correct?” asked Nikk.

“Yes sir,” answered Ark, still rather lost. “Can I help you with something?”

“You and I have a common…” Nikk struggled to find the words. “Association with the Outlander here, correct?”

“I consider him my friend, yes,” answered Ark, looking over at the boy. “Is that a problem?”

“Again, debatable,” responded Nikk. “But he has recommended you to the King of the Wastes for a very important, high profile, highly classified mission.”

Both of Ark’s eyes bolted wide open. He was clearly taken aback by Nikk’s words.

“I’m sorry, what?” Ark reacted. “I don’t think you understand. I’m a hunter. I’m not even a ranger. I’m just some guy who washed up in the Wastes some couple years back just trying to make his dues in the City here. I’m not… I can’t…”

“Look,” Nikk stopped him. “You don’t have to accept the job, but the Outlander here seems to think you’d be good at it.”

Ark stared at the Outlander while Nikk spoke.

“All I’m asking,” Nikk continued. “Is that you come to Castle Dant at high noon on Evenfall to show us your ability with a bow. After that, the king will give you the opportunity to aid both myself and the Outlander on a special mission, if he finds you to be an asset we can use.”

Ark stood there speechless.

“I… I don’t know what to say…” muttered Ark. “I can’t refuse a request from the king. That’s… I just… I don’t know how…”

“Daliss,” Nikk stated clearly. Ark’s eyes darted straight to his. “You’ll do fine. And if you don’t, then the king will simply send you home. There is no penalty; no pressure. We just ask that you come.”

Ark chuckled.

“Absolutely,” Ark said, still clearly dazed by the entire interaction. “Yes, it’d be an honor… a privilege to serve the Crown.”

“Good,” Nikk reacted. “Now, the Outlander and I have some training to tend to. You’ll be seeing him later.”

Nikk turned to leave.

“Wait!” Ark exclaimed. Nikk turned back to face the young man. “Did the king place him in my flat for a reason?”

“No, my friend,” Nikk explained. “You just happened upon some luck in him entering your life.”

Nikk turned to walk away.

“Whether it’s good or bad,” Nikk continued aloud while walking away. “Has yet to be seen… for anyone.”

The Outlander grinned and jabbed Nikk once more in the side. Nikk shook his head.

The two made their way in the direction of the castle. The Outlander could feel the immensity of its presence more and more as they drew closer. He had yet to be this close in the broadness of daylight, even if that light was quickly fading behind him, and it made him shudder. The setting sun seemed to place a spotlight on the castle, and it was as glorious as it was terrifying. They approached the front gates the Outlander had followed Nikk to the previous night.

“Rexius,” Nikk said to one of the guards lining the walls surrounding the castle.

“G’day mister courier,” the man addressed Nikk. “You got’a friend with ya ‘is evening?”

“This is my…” Nikk seemed to choke on the word. “Apprentice.”

“Appre’iss, eh?” Rexius looked down at the Outlander. He was a large, burly man. He looked intimidating, but it had no real effect on the Outlander given the warm tone of his voice.

“Well, Gunnah ‘ere is one-a ‘da bess Es Sharam ‘as ta offa,” Rexius told the Outlander. “You’re in good ‘ands, boyo. Head on in, Nikk.”

Rexius yelled up as he rang the bell. The gates opened quickly and the Outlander and Nikk found themselves back on the castle grounds together.

“This way,” Nikk said, ushering the Outlander to a different wing of the castle, apart from the main structure.

The two entered into a large rectangular building to the south west of the throne room. It had large walls with stained glass on the side. It was built out of rich sandstone and granite and had numerous guards posted along the side of the building. Nikk led the Outlander inside and down a hall. They didn’t spend much time inside before they emerged in a training ground on the south end of the castle grounds. The Outlander saw, for the first time, the canyon.

At the edge of the training grounds was a tall fence. One the other side of the fence was a massive gap and on the other side of the gap, the Outlander saw a cliff and an endless expanse of Wastes to the east. The canyon was absolutely massive. To his direct south, the Outlander could see the city. He could see for endless miles. The view here was unmatched by anything the Outlander had seen before. So many buildings and structures he’d never witnessed. Some large building had a massive pipe that led over the edge of the cliff and presumably to the bottom’ collecting whatever was down there.

“Outlander,” Nikk called out, breaking the boy’s trance. “You still with me?”

The Outlander reacted, startled, and nodded: “Yeah.”

“Good,” said Nikk, tossing the boy a rod covered with padding. “This is where we will begin your training.”



© 2018 Shepard Rhodes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on March 13, 2018
Last Updated on March 13, 2018


Author

Shepard Rhodes
Shepard Rhodes

Muncie, IN



About
Not much to say. I write books and music. I'm a nice guy, but insanely melodramatic. Yep, that just about covers it. If you haven't played Undertale, do it. more..

Writing