Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by A LaDy NaMeD D

 

“If the world can keep us apart, than our love was never true, yet I know our love is because we have not yet been spiritually parted.”-me (in conversation)

 

Zoelle hummed to herself as the moonlight guided her towards the lake. Over a black bathing suit she wore a long white dress and her hair was in a messy bun.  She sighed as she noticed she was getting closer to her destination. The green grass brushed against her feet and she felt the coldness of the dirt where some grass refused to grow. When she reached the lake she sat down at the edge and dipped her feet into the water and slowly began to undo her dress. When her dress was removed she stood up and walked over to the large tree that stood to the right of the lake. It was an old tree that her grandmother told her and her siblings, had been there since the beginning of their linage. She hung her dress on one of the branches and walked back to the lake. She dove in and stayed under water for as long as her breath would allow before going back up for air. The cold water felt good against the warm air. She continued to swim in the lake for about twenty minutes before she realized she was not alone. She could feel eyes on the back of her neck and she turned around to where the tree was and saw the most beautiful man she had ever seen in her life. He appeared to be at least six feet tall and had smooth honey brown skin. His long shoulder length silky black hair was tied into a ponytail and he had the most beautiful golden brown eyes she had ever seen in her life. She quickly swam to the edge of the lake where she had entered and got out. Her eyes never left him as she walked to the tree where her dress was. As she did this he didn’t say a word his eyes followed her movements.
“Who are you?” Zoelle finally asked grabbing her dress off the branch.
His eyes studied her and he said nothing. She put her dress on quickly and then put her hand on her hips. She always had, even when she was a child, an issue when people did not answer her questions.
She walked so that she stood in front of him and said, “Excuse me but I asked you a question.”
He chuckled and said, “It’s not safe for a woman as beautiful as you to be out here, this time of night, at this time of year. I’m pretty sure your grandmother has warned you.”
“Are you talking about that old wives tale, about demons and witches and what not? You can’t tell me you believe in those superstitions.”
The man chuckled again and said softly, “Why not? Is your grandmother not wise? Has she not experienced the world? You are only seventeen; you should listen to what your elders have to tell you.”
 “I believe in certain things to a certain extent. Yet, sorry and excuse me, but I can’t believe in vampires, and ware wolves and other such creatures. I’m too old.” There was a pause and she asked, “Wait how did you know that I’m seventeen?”
It was then she started to realize that this whole situation was bizarre. Like the fact she was arguing with a man she had never meet before about something as mediocre as old superstitions. Especially, when it was close to midnight, and he could be a rapist or worse, a serial killer.
The man looked at her and said, “I know a lot of things about you and your family. Your ancestors and yes I could be a rapist, or a serial killer. But I’m not.”
“Sure, but I should be going.” She said slowly.
The man shook his head and said, “I’m sorry, but I cannot let you leave Zoelle. “
“Excuse me…who the hell do you think you…” she stopped when she realized he had called her by her name.  “How do you know my name?”
He looked as if he were about to answer her when they heard a wolf howling in the distance. That was odd, since she’d moved back here three years ago she had never heard the sound of a wolf. She looked into the face of the man she was talking to and his facial expression had not changed. He took a step back and looked around her.
“Like I said, you cannot leave. It’s much too dangerous.”
 She looked at him and asked, “Who are you.”
“My name is Jason…but that’s not what you should be asking me.” He said stepping closer to her.
She looked at him and asked, “Okay…what should I be asking you?”
“What am I?”
He was now so close that his face was just inches away from hers.
“Wh—What are you?”
His eyes bore into hers and she felt his arms go around her waist as he pulled her body into his.  She heard a voice in her brain but didn’t understand what it was trying to tell her. All she could process was that she was there with this man, and she was beginning to feel something similar to love. Her body couldn’t move, but then again she didn’t want it too.
“That doesn’t matter either Zoelle, just remember I’m here to protect you.” He said softly.
‘Run....’ the voice in her head whispered softly.
Yet something told her not to. Something in her believed him, believed in him. She felt his lips brush against hers and, shivered. His lips felt so cold, like winter snow.
‘You’re not safe, Chile RUN!’ said the voice a little louder.
She heard Jason laugh softly and then whispered, “Not yet, a little bit longer…”
The wolf howled again and she froze, it sounded closer, a little too close.
“Don’t get scared, it’ll catch your scent, relax…”Jason said softly kissing her neck.
Zoelle felt his arms tightened around her waist, and her nerves calmed. Yet the voice in her head kept getting louder and louder. She heard a twig snap and then the wolf’s growl directly behind her.
“Okay now…Run.” He said.
At first she hesitated, and then he let her go and she took off, running faster than she had ever run in her life. She didn’t stop and didn’t look back until she reached the house. She opened the door walked in and closed and locked it behind her.
“You didn’t listen to me…”She heard her grandmother say.
Zoelle looked up to see her standing before her clutching her cane, “You could’ve died, and he could’ve killed you.”
“Who…Jason?” She asked slowly.
“Jason.”
She looked at her and said, “Nana, Jason saved my life. There was a wolf…”
“Do not go to that lake ever again after nightfall.” Zoelle’s grandmother said brushing past her and walking up the stairs.
Zoelle sighed and walked up the stairs also. When she reached her room she noticed the wind blowing her curtains back in forth. She climbed out on the balcony and saw him leaning against the wall.
“You saved me.” She said slowly.
Jason looked at her and said, “Yes I did.”
“You know my Nana?”
“Yes I do.”
Zoelle looked at the forest and said, “What are you?”
Jason smiled at her and pulled her towards him and kissed her softly. He moved away from her and as if he wasn’t even there he was gone. She smiled to herself and closed her window before getting into her bed and slowly drifting to sleep.
 


© 2009 A LaDy NaMeD D


Author's Note

A LaDy NaMeD D
be honest about what you think

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Honestly: It's so refreshing to find another black woman writing about supernatural themes. I too am writing a novel with a supernatural theme. I prefer to say metaphysical, but publishers prefer the former. As far as your offering, I found the piece intriguing. There are a few things I want to say about the prose: It still needs another edit (as you probably already know) try reading it out loud and see how it flows. That works for me. If it sounds like you are telling the story, rather than reading the story, then it's ready for an editor.

If you have time, check out my book, "Holy Be Not Proud."



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hi thank you for your submission I will let you know the results in about a week. I found it very entertaining.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Oh wow, this was quick. The story seemed a bit rushed, but I think you were able to get away with it with the dialogue, which was pretty swift and smooth. ^^

Anyways, this was a great start. :) Very "Twilight-ish". lol!

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There's not really much i can say due to the fact that a. you already know or b. everyone who reviewed this before me already said it but I shall make an attempt anyway

The delivery is very natural. I felt like i knew the character which is giood because if I'm confused I'll give up. And this actually spurs me on to finish my own vamp book.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like it. It's entertaining to read, without being so 'BAM!' in your face.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very odd. Also very good. Lover and protecter? Yet her grandmother seemed to know of his presence. Well, always listen to your elders. Men lie, it's a fact.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I love vampires!!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow. Nice flow to this. I think you did a good job on this. You are going to finish it, though, right?

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is really good. Though I don't write much in dealing with the supernatural in my own writing I love reading it. And I really like that we don't *know* if Jason is a good guy or a bad guy. You've left a lot of things open for questioning that makes me want to read the next chapter, so please write more!

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is not some quid pro quo review. It was so refreshing to read something different from what I normally read that kept me reading. If it was not keeping my interest I would have put it down. However it is well told, very suspensful and well thought out. You answered questions just when you needed to i.e.

You are only seventeen; you should listen to what your elders have to tell you."

I am sure everyone who reads it thought just like me - come on how does he know her age, but you got us there and so it continued.

Please continue if you keep this up then many will want to read it.
By the way last year I attended a Black History month at a large library in London, they managed to fill just two bookcases with black fiction. There are many people out there who would like to know that black authors do exist and can write a variety of genre so please keep up the good work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


i want to read more!!!! you have got me wondering who he is what he is what does the grandmother mean... everything. i think you are going to bring forth a good story.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

337 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 11, 2008
Last Updated on May 3, 2009


Author

A LaDy NaMeD D
A LaDy NaMeD D

Smithfield, VA



About
HI!!!! It's been a LONG time and a lot has changed. I think the only thing that hasn't changed is my want to be a published author. I typically write erotica, but i'm know to dibble and dabble in .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..