It's Magic --- PART I - Chapter 6

It's Magic --- PART I - Chapter 6

A Chapter by Prime
"

The witch and his sweet childish wizard.

"

Chapter 6

 

        “It’s Kevin Smith. My classmate in some subjects.” I say, plainly.

        “But the way you’re wrapped around each other before you went home speaks of something more than that.” She then flashes me a sly grin. And it all sinks into me, damn!

        “What?! You saw us?!” I exclaim.

        “I didn’t, Kate.” She says with sarcasm. “That’s why I asked you about him, right?”

        “Oh, well…” I just say and then blow my mouth from inside, my usual mannerism.

        Camille then takes her seat beside me on the bed. “Come on, Kate. Tell me about him. Tell me what’s between you and him.”

        “Nothing’s between us Camille.” I say, raising my eyebrows.

        “But there is!” she exclaims. “Is he the one you’re telling me about? Is he the one that you see your childhood playmate in? What was his name again? Ron?”

        “Yeah.” I say, conserving my words.

        “Oh my goodness, Kate. Show some enthusiasm when we’re talking. Come on, little sis!” she exclaims. She really wants to know all about the information.

I give her a glare which hides a smile behind, and then I told her everything... not about Ron, but about Kevin �" how we knew each other, how we became close, how he was with me, the way we are in which he pinches my nose and I would tickle him, about him drawing me emphasizing my eyes in his sketchpad, and everything that happened this day. My goodness, Camille is louder than me all the while, shouting, screaming and whatever else when I tell her some memorable events. Well, I just smile upon thinking of everything about Kevin and me. Well, mom even checked on us upstairs to know if we’re okay because Camille had been too loud that they even heard it downstairs, but not our conversation, only some of Camille’s stupid acts. After I tell her everything, she asks me one question that I couldn’t just answer…

        “Do you love Kevin?”

        “I �" I don’t know…”

        “Well, it seems like you do; now, how about that Ron guy?” That’s the real problem.

        “I don’t know.”

        “Yeah, keep on answering me with ‘I don’t knows’ and I’ll give you a hard slap on the face!” she exclaims. We then both laugh. “Think about it, Kate.”

        “But Ron and I promised.”

        “The question is, did he keep his promise?”

        I don’t answer. But in my thoughts I tell myself that Ron didn’t keep his promise. He didn’t come back, and I guess he will never come back. But is that what I want?

        “Think about it, Kate. Break your promise, or break your heart.”

        I don’t get it. “Break my heart? How?”

        Her hand goes hard on her head. “It seems like you’re too innocent with these things. You’ll learn, anyway.”

After a while of silence, my mood suddenly brightens up so I pick a pillow and shout, “Pillow fight!” and so we did.

 

        I wake up in the middle of the night, maybe disturbed by the cool evening breeze that blows little by little in the window. I stand up from sleep to close it. And so I did. I see my phone. It’s not bad to check messages at midnight, right? I unlock my screen, and I received two messages from two different people, one from Lawrence and one from Kevin.

        I check Lawrence message first.

 

Had a very busy day in theater Dept., and so as on Monday. Sorry if Mylene and I can’t watch… How about you, Kate? By the way, good luck for your play! Act well… Goodnight. :’))

 

        The thought makes me smile. How about Kevin? What’s his message?

 

        Thanks for giving me such a day. You don’t know how happy I am. Lucks for Monday pretty witch :D ! I’ll be watching your play! Goodnight, sweet dreams!

 

        I didn’t delete the messages; I just put my phone down with a sweet smile on my face. And I slept with sweet dreams.

 

        Monday comes quickly, and all that are in the Acting Department, especially the main characters (specially mentioning the antagonistic villainous evil witch,) are excused from classes for the whole day. The play, Snow White and The Seven Dwarves is to be staged this afternoon at the covered court of the school. Those from Theater Department also have their own business, since there will also be a theater play after Snow White and The Seven Dwarves, so they are also excused from classes. That leaves Kevin attending classes alone without Lawrence, Mylene and me, since 3D Department seems to have a good time management.

        Well, nothing much happened yesterday. So I guess there’s nothing more to tell about it.

        By the way, we are now here in the backstage, in my dressing preparation room, alone with my make-up artist, having our make-over. Thirty minutes later, the play will start.

        Gina, my classmate from Designing class is my make-up artist.

        “My goodness, Kate!” she exclaims. “Is that pretty face of yours now used to portray a witch in a beautiful play?”

        “Gina, I can’t help it.” I say with high intonation. “By the way, is that a compliment, or an insult?” I say with sarcasm, one eyebrow rising.

        “You can consider it as both.” She says and then we both laugh. “Now close your eyes and I’ll ruin your face to turn you into an old witch!”

        “Okay.”

        And after a couple of minutes of applying thick make-up, I think it’s almost done.

        “Can’t I open my eyes yet?”

        “No, no, no Katherine. I’m almost done. Wait for it, you don’t look so terrible yet.” And after a while, it’s finally done. “Now open your eyes.”

        And I did.

        “Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!” I scream, and through the mirror I can see Gina covering her ears. I’m not looking at myself; I’m looking at an old woman with very ugly “linings” in the face, plus that my hair is not yet done, so what I look like is an old witch with thin brown bangs in the front and frizzy hair around my head with such make up that I look like a refugee from a funeral parlor. “Oh, my gosh, Gina. What have you done to my virgin face?!” I exclaim and I almost burst into tears. I look very terrible. It’s horrible.

        “Hey, don’t be so overreacting. It’s just make-up in your face. We’re making it up! And I’m not yet done with you, Kate. We still need to fix your hair.”

        “And make it look like cobwebs?” I ask, feeling bad.

        “Yeah,” she plainly answers.

“And my hair will be messed up forever.”

        “What’s the use of the wig you bought, right?” Sarcastically, she says so. Then we both laugh. And she went to tend my hair. Time to time I just stare at myself in the mirror, unable to recognize myself, especially when everything’s done…

        I stand up, feeling in a fashion show, wearing the plain black robe that I bought on Saturday. And I do the witch’s pose, walking like hump back, holding a basket with only one apple and hiding the devil’s smile across my face. By the way, I bought the apple yesterday from the fruits shop! That’s to tell, anyways. I play with my fake claws, fake spiders and fake cobwebs and do ridiculous poses until we are called.

        Oh… My… Gosh!!! This is it! This is my time to shine… as a bewitched witch character. I feel bad, because I play the main villain of the play, but I like it, though, at least my part is major. As we go on stage, all I can say is, WOW! The audience… there are maybe thousands!

        Then the characters are introduced and I’m the fourth to do the ramp. Well, what I do on my ramp is… go around like nothing’s bothering me, as if I’m in a fashion show, though maintaining my “witchiness,” then playing with my props with intimate poses that I guess look a bit offensive, and finally showing the apple with intimacy and passion, like a bewitched b***h!

I have the humor; I got the audience’s attention. I’m sure I’m going to make such a memorable witch! I even see the look on our teacher’s and director’s eyes, they are trembling because of my off-going, but I managed to pull it though.

        The act one starts, in which an alternate witch opens… well, my role is kind of bigger, because we added some twists in the Snow White and The Seven Dwarves story.

        “Mirror, mirror, hanging on the wall…” she yells. I’m just waiting. “Who is the fairest of them all?”

        And then spoof! The mirror seems to have a talking face, well driven by the visual 3D effects of the 3D Department, maybe one of Kevin’s works… Kevin! I forgot that he told me through phone message that he’d watch our performance.

        My eyes immediately search the crowd for Kevin, but it didn’t take even a minute. His eyes, nose and lips, and his aura, even from afar is very attractive. A smile forms from my bewitched lips, and he is laughing at me, about how I look. It’s drastic, I know! But seeing him there at the frontline seems to relieve the tension I feel inside me and it somehow makes me want to play it to the max! Well, the reason why I couldn’t take my eyes away from him is because his eyes are glued on me. He maybe sees my smile through those sleepy-looking eyes which I think sees through almost everything, so I see the curve on his lips that signify a sweet smile that I have always seen, whether near or far…

        “Kate, your turn is near…” My mate tells me. Oh, it reminds me, I’m in a play, but the thought of Kevin occupies my head. “Oh, sorry.” I gasp.

        Well, the “witch” seems to get angry on the mirror; I guess the mirror already told her that the real beauty lies within Snow White, so she breaks it. That’s one of the twists we added! Then, smoke is summoned on stage, and slowly, stealthily, I make my way to my place as the real witch. As soon as I get there, I play my part which is started by a horrible scream.

        “Aaaaaaaaaaahhh!” I scream. “My face! My beautiful face! What happened to my beautiful face!” I say, holding my face with delicacy. “What have you done you stupid mirror?!”

        “You’re cursed, my queen! It’s because you destroyed your own image! You destroyed me!” answers the mirror with a doomed voice, also “sponsored” by the 3D Department.

        “Still, this is Snow White’s fault!” I yell, putting the blame on Snow White. Well, that’s part of the play, tolerate me. “If only it didn’t happen that she’s fairer than me, then both of us were not destroyed! I will kill Snow White! I will kill her!” I scream, which echoes, good.

        Act two then comes; it’s Snow White and the prince’s turn to do the PDA. Well, they seem to have a nice chemistry, since they both get the audience as much as I get theirs.

        By the way, let me tell you about our version of the play…

It starts with the queen/witch asking the mirror about the identity of the fairest lady, but this time she was disappointed by the truth, in which Snow White was the one.

        Angrily, she destroys the mirror, also destroying herself. Because of that, she was cursed. So, she was turned to an ugly witch which is played by me *smile*. Her true beauty is revealed based on her true character when the mirror was destroyed, that’s how it turned out.

        In the following acts, Snow White and the prince have their own romance going through, though the queen already had a plan. She went to see a hunter, and ordered him to kill Snow White, and put her heart in the royal box after doing so. But the hunter failed, and to add some comedic acts, instead of presumably killing a pig in exchange of Snow White’s heart, he chases a goat and it’s presumed that the heart in the box was of the goat.

        There follows the acts in which Snow White was lost in the forest, and was afraid of everything, but morning came and the animals turned out to be tame. She asked for somewhere to stay, and she was led to a small house. They make-over the house, tended and fixed everything since it seemed to be abandoned. And night came, which adds to the twist of the story. Seven small people came and they claimed to be the dwarves who are miners from a faraway mine. But to be comedic, they turned out to be all gays, and through dialog they stated that they didn’t have hard time in the mines because they were seducing the men and the mining were all theirs.

        And there goes my act, in which the witch offers the “heart” to the most unholy (since the mirror was destroyed, we added this twist… the mirror was the one who revealed to the witch that the heart was not Snow White’s right? So in our version, we made it look like the witch works for the unholy beings so her bewitching powers were granted…) but was rejected, the unholy stating that the heart was not of human and was of an animal, revealing the whereabouts of Snow White as well.

        I, as the character of the witch, first bewitched the hunter who failed, and then I did the best part. The potion-poison jar!

        As I seem to mix all ingredients, I was focusing, not on the mixes, but on what Kevin draw. I can see it, and seeing the intertwined letters “K” is making me smile. For a while, I’m just like that, and I’m almost out of my mind when I look for him through the audience and Kevin’s eyes and mine were locked on each other. I smile, he does the same, and I can visualize that the director is too disappointed, but I know better.

        The sweet smile of mine turned to a vain and evil one, and then I start laughing maniacally like a real witch, which is natural; maybe because Kevin inspired me to do better.
        “WHAHAHAHAHAH! WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!”

        I kept on laughing and moving randomly like crazy, which was much of an adlib; this was not part of the script. And I didn’t stop until I hear the loud applause from the audience.

        “And now, for the best part…” I say, stopping the motion, my lips curving to form my evil smile again.

        Everyone is silent, and then “Oops!” I drop the apple in the jar, and then I seem to mix it with the formula, when in fact it was just there inside, in the glow. There is a loud music of evil playing, and then the scene was cut. It’s part of the script.

It then goes to the part that the dwarves were gone, and Snow White was alone. The backgrounds were changed, and I’m on my final scene.

        “Hello, my dear.” I try my best to sound like an old woman, and I did. “Would you like to make some apple pies?”

        “Hmm, apple pies! The dwarves love to eat pies!”

        “Well, don’t you know that their favorite among all pies is the apple pie?” I try my best to talk slow and crookedly then sound like an old woman. I did it again.

        “Get some, my dear. Come and get all of these apples! Consider these as my gifts!” I say in an old woman’s tone again. “Eat this.” I say, with a devilish tone which synchronizes with the music of evil and thunder effects, holding out the apple I “poisoned.” “These are sweet, and fresh from highlands!” I exclaim, to ease the mood.

        She then gets the apple off my hand. “Wouldn’t you like to take a bite first, old lady?” she hands it back to me. Part of the script… What’s the use of the apple’s green side right?

        “Oh, dear. Even the greenest side is sweet!” I say, and then take a bite on the green side, signifying that it’s “not poisoned,” presumably. “Now, eat it.”

        And then she eats it, and her death scene comes. Later on, the dwarves enter the scene, with them stating why they were early because there were no “papables” in the mine today, and to keep the comedic theme of the story intact. They see me, and the dead Snow White on the ground. Then it comes to a conclusion that I am suspicious and guilty, so they chase for me. We occupy the whole stage in the chasing scene, with some fake tripping and dropping of course, and the stage slowly evolves to the “cliff scene.” I run the presumably edge of the cliff, the dwarves behind me. I presumably pushed the big rock (made through Paper Mache of Mylene!) towards the dwarves through the presumed steep, but they avoided it and Bashful saw a frog and throw it on me, thus freaking me out and I fall to my presumed death which brings a great audience impact because on the way I fall also, I still have that bewitched scream!

I immediately leave the stage, and then the concluding scenes are being enacted. The prince is coming to Snow White’s rescue, and seeing him kissing her (yeah, they seem to be kissing, but they’re not really doing that…) makes me think about Ron. When will he come back to me? Is he my prince charming? Or is it Kevin? Goodness, I’m thinking about Kevin again!

        The play was merely ended, and we both bowed down in front of the audience. The applause was deafening! Some group even made a yell, “WE LOVE THE WITCH!” which greatly flattered me. After it, we were sent directly to the dressing room to remove the make-ups. Gina and I did, and while she makes me up to return the real “Kate,” she keeps on adoring me.

        “My goodness, Katherine, you got the audience crazy on you!”

        “Even if I’m a witch!” Then I laugh. “But it’s all thanks to you, Gina.”

        “Yeah, it’s a good thing you know how to thank me… at least, even if I made you look horrible, you still got the audience! You got me there as well.” And she tends to my hair.

        “Now tell me, what has driven you to do that well?”

        “Gina, this is a dressing room, not a press conference!” I sarcastically say.

        “Yeah, I know. But I want showbiz!” she’s persistent.

        “Duh! As in, duh…” I voice out. “I’m just a stage actress, okay?”

        Silence follows then, but was countered by, “Good you know, you witch!”

        I get out of my dressing room, and see to it that the Theater Department is also starting their presentations. I see Lawrence and Mylene which makes me smile.

        “Hi!” I greet them from behind, since they are busy checking on stage.

        “Oh, hello Kate… How was the play?” Lawrence greets me and asks with a smile,

        “It went well…”

        “Don’t tell me, you’re �"” Mylene gasps.

        But I didn’t let her finish, “I was the witch!” I exclaim, suppressing a smile.

        “Golly, Kate. You seem to have begotten the audience’s attention!” Mylene compliments me. “You’re wild!” and I’m confused with that. I thought…

        “Oh, how did you know? Did you watch? I thought you were busy �"”

        “Nope, I didn’t. Lawrence and I were so busy so we’re so sorry.” She starts. “Yeah,” Lawrence answers as well with a smile that never leaves his face. “But Audrey told me. She watched. She’s my sorority sister, anyway.” And my face brightens upon hearing the term sorority. Well, sorority sisterhood is a very good thing; one benefit is, you’ll get popular sooner if you’re in. But what I like about it is that you’ll have mates in everything like studies if you’re in.

        “What do you mean?” I ask, eyes widened and a bit unsure.

        “Like duh? I’m one of them!” and then we both chuckle!

        “Are you sure Mylene? Since when?” I ask in a bubbly way, happy for her. Well, it isn’t easy to join the sorority sisters of our campus. You still have a hard way to go before you’re in.

        “Just yesterday. And I haven’t met their leader yet, I don’t even know her; they said it’ll be long before she returns and long before I become an official. But for now, the right-hand sister told me I can consider myself one.”

        “Mylene, I think we’re now needed there.” Lawrence tells Mylene.

        “Oh really? My goodness, this is stressful! Kate, we’re so sorry, but we have to go.”

        “It’s okay. We’ll still see each other then.” I laugh. “Bye Lawrence! Bye Mylene!”

        And before they’re completely gone, Kevin runs to me from nowhere with the happiness seen in his face, and what surprises me is that… as soon as he gets to me, he hugs me.



© 2013 Prime


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on December 27, 2013
Last Updated on December 27, 2013


Author

Prime
Prime

Sagay City, Region VI, Philippines



About
from Philippines ^_^ more..

Writing