Friday Night

Friday Night

A Story by George Coombs
"

Remembering my late brother

"

  

Friday Night

Friday night. Summer and the time of longer days and more time in the light yet, there was coldness and even snow. Gulls touched the air with their cries. The news came; Richard was dead.

They were never close. There was family stress and Richard had elected to link with Malta. Never close yet passing seemed to bring him nearer.

Death knows neither distance nor boundary. In quietness, there was a gladness he had found something in Malta that made it home for him. Now it seemed so right that his body should rest there. The funeral is tomorrow and distance did not prevent presence in spirit.

Richard had been found after friends notified the police of his absence from their company over four days. He had fallen asleep and never woken up.

Now, he lives his new life in spirit; returned to spirit as each of us do at the right time. Richard had been gathered as a shepherd might gather one of his lambs. Now he could live in a different way. A better way in real freedom and peace with himself.

Sooner or later, one way or another the body will die yet, the spirit is eternal. That which is unborn never dies. The lion can lay down with the lamb and truly there can be peace at last.


George Coombs (226 words)


© 2017 George Coombs


Author's Note

George Coombs
Please read carefully

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Tis a sad but calming piece George. Death more often than not softens our view of the deceased and what riled, irked then seem oh so trivial and " what ifs" and " if onlys " are more often than not then born........to late

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Thankyou Gee
A thought-full and well intoned piece.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Thankyou Chris
I am so sorry for your loss George. This is a loving and eloquent memorial to Richard. Spiritual, tender with beautiful biblical references. God bless both of you.R.I.P.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much Annette

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 25, 2017
Last Updated on September 25, 2017
Tags: George, Coombs

Author

George Coombs
George Coombs

Brighton and Hove, Southern, United Kingdom



About
I am a retired lecturer from Hove in Southrn England. I write poetry, stories, essays and also draw and paint more..

Writing