In An Instant

In An Instant

A Story by Gee
"

How life can change oh so quickly

"
I sat quietly watching her. She drank coffee whilst flicking through a gossipy magazine, pausing briefly every now and again to read a few lines or study a photo. I smiled to myself remembering our meeting, the pair of us worse for wear, booze, in a crowded Tenerife bar. We pretty much spent the whole of the next week together, drinking, laughing, loving.
When back in the UK 400 miles separated us , Scotland her home, England mine. As promised, a letter, the first of many written by, lay waiting on her return from holiday (she had stayed on for an extra week ). I told her over and over how much I loved her, missed her, needed her, and that one day we would be married. That was June 1991.
October 1991 she moved down to be at my side. We married in October 1993.
Our daughter was born in November 2000, her mother's double. Beautiful, funny, clever, a most warm, generous human being, the Apple, orchard of my eye. Life has been nothing but great....25years of bliss.

" Have you any regrets " she once asked me, meaning of our life together.

" Only that we didn't meet earlier."

The doorbell rang. She placed the magazine on the cushion beside her.

" Mrs Jacky Stevenson " asked the young policeman.

" Yes, is there something wrong ? "

" Can we come inside Jacky" asked the young WPC.

As I left, she sat in stunned silence.......





© 2018 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
Hope you enjoyed. This is very much true to my life (apart from my demise.... obviously)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Another blow to the solar plexus! Beautiful story- and reality. Love how you tenderly and lovingly chronicle the story of your marriage. But the shock at the end made my heart flutter- literally! Please stay around for a very long time and write very much more poetry my friend!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thank you. Hopefully I've still a few years left in me.
Caught me out here Gee.
I was not expecting that!
Gave me a shiver - hope your no Nostradamus...!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Me too my friend, me too. Cheers
eerie... and what a fine ending. unexpected.
so good, GEE. so good. created such a big pause as it sank in. good work

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thanks Ana...
'In an instant' - such an appropriate title. I really wasn't ready for that finish. It's hard to say more, don't want to give the game away.. Such a finely laid, unforced lead-up.. and then..

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thanks Emma...
jesus you died and came back as a writer! a nice write gee and a tribute on the love you share and the love of your life.

Posted 6 Years Ago


andrew mitchell

6 Years Ago

as long as it doesnt come in threes.
andrew mitchell

6 Years Ago

Yes like the brawler stokes .we might beat you guys yet!
Gee

6 Years Ago

The media are saying it is one of the weakest squads ever assembled so if you don't beat them my fri.. read more
wonderful piece of writing , loved the way you took us all in. it reminds of something i have written something similar . do check it out when you're free. its called ' the best 30 seconds of my life '.

really love it . cheers .

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thank you, will do
Captivating and with a surprise twist I did not see coming. Well written Gee.
One line:
'I told over and over how much I loved her, missed her....' Maybe 'told her?

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thank yo John
Well, you know us Scots stick together Gee, so my first thought was "Right, what's he done?" Then I thought "Should have stayed in Tenerife, no extradition."
Superb short story, reflecting more than a little maybe, back at the author and the thoughts we have of losing or being taken from our loved ones.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Reflecting mainly on me and fears, if that the right word.
Cheers Nemo
This is about your death? I almost thought it was about you getting arrested for some reason...lol.
It's an excellent read. I love it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by this stories author.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Stacy Purvis

6 Years Ago

Gotcha... 😉
Wow! Beautifully written and envious of such happy years together. Wasn't expecting that ending - I don't read death like some other folk. I see you having committed a grave misdemeanour. Suddenly all those things we thought we knew about someone are undermined. What were they taking 'you' away for? You've left us hanging!

Nice work
Nigel

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Take Nigel, afraid it was my death, much to the disbelief of my wife as her friends when they read e.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2241 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 20, 2017
Last Updated on March 20, 2018
Tags: Love, life, death

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..