Where Only The Angels Tread

Where Only The Angels Tread

A Poem by JC

While the Gods of War rest in the domed white house,

and The Warriors are fighting wraiths,

The Angels are waiting, sentinels at their posts.

 

Through the mists of chaos and smoke, they approach.

Orbs of light, they stand by his side,

to guide him home,

through mists of chaos and smoke.

 

Among the heavens and the celestial guardians,

those who have gone before,

are waiting to welcome him,

with anthems and laude.

 

Then The Angels return to their posts,

watching the mists of chaos and smoke.

Where only The Angels tread they go,

to bring another warrior home.

© 2009 JC


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have to say that your opening stanza blew me away. Awesome. As for the rest of the poem, it was superbly done as well. Reminds me of the Valkryies of Norse legend. This is a fantastic piece. I love it and it is going in my favorites. If you have time, check out my poem "Another Christmas Morn (A Soldier's Toast)" and see what you think. Thanks for a wonderful read.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very nice, in a big way. Going home, only time keeps us away. I remember about the mists my dear departed husband referred to a couple of days before he left us, at first I blamed the drugs, he couldn't understand why we didn't see the mists. I love your poem, written smoothly and full of hope, thank you for sharing it with us.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so wonderful and so touching.
A very sincere write here.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I've always loved anything to do with angels and death (morbid mind...). I think you potrayed war very eloquently in this piece. I love your word choice especially. The flow feels a little odd to me but that's probably just me. Overall, amazing job, and thanks for sharing! :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such a tragedy expressed in quite a few lines plus, beautifully structured and expressed.

'Amoung the heavens and the celestial guardians, / those who have gone before, / are waiting to welcome him, / with anthems and laude. // Then The Angels return to their posts, '

I had to add that fifth line because somehow it stressed the previous lines, made them even more powerful and poingnant than they are.

There can't be many genuinely other sincere poems or pieces of prose that so clearly express the death of a warrior in battle.

(The word 'amoung', little spelling slip, doesn't need the 'u' )

Great writing, thank you for sharing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The imagery is certainly good enough here, to make clear what the writer is trying to express. Basically, she seems to be reminding the reader of every individual soldier, who has died in combat and gone to Heaven.

"the mists of chaos and smoke". This almost certainly represents a battle zone, in which smoke from explosions and fires can be seen. The idea of An Angel guiding a soldier home, is also a nice one. It is spiritual, and reminded me of those lighthouses which guide ships safely home from the sea. Or like shining beacons, perhaps?

In the second to last verse, former comrades welcome the fallen into Heaven - to join them. Interestingly, in verse one, I noticed that there appears to be form of role-reversal. Instead of Angels being portrayed as spiritual, they are described as "sentinels", with the soldiers identified as "warriors fighting wraiths". Unless of course, this simply means that the soldiers are fighting against wraiths?

I understood the writer's reference to the "Gods of war" in the "domed white house". Many religious buildings are domed, so that is probably why she reminds the reader that the white house is also "domed". By using the term "Gods of War", it is stating that those in authority at the white house, have the final say - in deciding whether or not America goes to war! Or, it may be reminding us of something quite different? Either way, another thought-provoking poem from JC!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow JC amazing and so divine... their is no doubt those who give their lives defending our freedoms and security belong in the heavens... I salute you on this touching poem.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

JC - I was struck not only by your words and the images created, but by a sense of structure that you created too. During a time of war, this poem is especially poignant.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I hope they have enough space there. They'll need it.
Why don't they paing the house black?

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm glad that you chose eloquence and imagery here rather than rhyme and meter. It does the piece great justice.

There is a solemnity to it somehow.


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hey, I can related to that, I mean, I've always admired that kind of angel stories / poems. So, it's all good...

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

398 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on July 17, 2009

Author

JC
JC

Fort Worth, TX



About
I am 40+ year old native of Fargo, North Dakota, (yes I said Fargo.). I've journaled, blogged and written poetry my entire adult life, and now I am starting to write a novel, which if published, will .. more..

Writing
Looking For Clues Looking For Clues

A Story by JC