Advice I Need To Start Taking

Advice I Need To Start Taking

A Poem by Laura Harrison

·         Eat more fruit. But don’t be guilty when you eat the chocolate cake.

·         Stop saying that you will be happy when you get a boyfriend, get a job etc. Realise that happiness comes from within, not things.

·         Try not to make homes out of people. You will only end up homeless when they leave.

·         Realise that you will not always get everything you want, things will not always go your way, but you must learn to be happy with your life the way it is.

·         Appearance is not everything, but care about it more. Grow your fingernails so you can start putting on nail polish. Wear the pretty lipstick. Wear cute dresses instead of just jeans and hoodies. But make sure you feel good about yourself.

·         Write more often, even if it’s just a sentence a day.

·         Tomorrow is brand new day, don’t make it the same as yesterday.

·         Grasp every opportunity with both hands and don’t let it go, you may never get it again.

·         Reading is great, but go outside more. Get some air into your lungs, feel your skin glow from the sun. Go for a walk somewhere you’ve not been before, watch more sunsets, appreciate nature. Learn to love life outside of fictional worlds.

·         Explore other cultures. Listen to different music. Try something new. Everything out there is waiting to be discovered, discover it all.

·         Don’t make resolutions you know you will never keep; don’t say you will stop doing something if you don’t really want to, if it’s not harming anyone including yourself carry on doing it.

·         Start saying what you feel, stand up for people who can’t, speak out about everything that’s wrong in this world. Words are powerful, open your mouth and use them.

·         Stop worrying about everything so much. Spend your money if you know you can afford it anyway, go outside even if your outfit doesn’t match, don’t even think about the day you may lose the job you love. Sometimes, it’s okay to just not care.

·         Being strong is a good trait to have, but you don’t have to have it together all the time. If you’re upset, don’t keep it to yourself; let someone else take care of you for a change.

·         Keep in touch with old friends, and make new ones; young or old, it doesn’t matter, but don’t isolate yourself so much.

·         Put yourself first . Be selfish. You are the most important person in your life. You need to start believing that.

·         Live. Especially when you feel like you can’t.

© 2015 Laura Harrison


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The ending brought tears to my eyes. Before telling you how beautiful these lines are, I must thank you. Thank you, because you may have just fixed a broken string in the heart of a stranger. I desperately needed to read something like this. I am probably not going through the exact same thing but somehow I can really connect with this piece and it makes me feel not-so lonely and lost in the darkness.

My favourite lines were: Start saying what you feel, stand up for people who can’t, speak out about everything that’s wrong in this world. Words are powerful, open your mouth and use them.

That is not advice only you need to start taking, it is advice we all should take, as one species. I love your honestly in these lines - it strikes me as pure and real and matter-of-fact. And while being very real and honest, I love how there is still a glimmer of hope in the poem.

Have a great day. :) x

- Rhea Xx.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wonderful bits of wisdom strung together in poetic prose fashion. And that last line, a thump to the heart. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Wow allot of this spoke to me. And im sure allot of other people to. Ur words are such an inspiration. Ur heart is pure gold.
U love helping people with ur words and advice and im sure uv already helped loads of people.
These things are all true. If only it was as easy to do as it is to write out or say. Wonderful piece though laura. Ur a rockstar :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


The ending brought tears to my eyes. Before telling you how beautiful these lines are, I must thank you. Thank you, because you may have just fixed a broken string in the heart of a stranger. I desperately needed to read something like this. I am probably not going through the exact same thing but somehow I can really connect with this piece and it makes me feel not-so lonely and lost in the darkness.

My favourite lines were: Start saying what you feel, stand up for people who can’t, speak out about everything that’s wrong in this world. Words are powerful, open your mouth and use them.

That is not advice only you need to start taking, it is advice we all should take, as one species. I love your honestly in these lines - it strikes me as pure and real and matter-of-fact. And while being very real and honest, I love how there is still a glimmer of hope in the poem.

Have a great day. :) x

- Rhea Xx.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you so much for the advice....I never thought about having a healthy life and your article caused me a new line of thought...Thanks once again

Posted 8 Years Ago


I love this. Such great advice.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I love this line, "Try not to make homes out of people. You will only end up homeless when they leave."
So very true even if their leaving is not by choice but through death of the other person.
And the reminding your self to wear cute dresses and grow your fingernails out so you can wear the cute nail polish..I think that so many times...just like the line about homes out of people..we dress up to impress others when really we should do it to impress ourselves..it is important to wear the cute dress because it makes you feel good about you....

Posted 8 Years Ago


you are who you are,we are all different,and there is someone out there just for you
your life can change but i think you should feel comfortable in who you are
it`s really no effort just being who you are,you have to work hard to be
someone else

Posted 8 Years Ago


I agree.
"Put yourself first . Be selfish. You are the most important person in your life. You need to start believing that.· Live. Especially when you feel like you can’t."
Sometime we must seek self-happiness. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


chuckling here... when lists are long even good things get ignored or undone. Sometimes it feels so impossible to have to do sooooo much - so make short but worthwhile lists - like think BEFORE you speak or act, be aware, accept the responsibility for what you do, be "real". Once your "list" becomes a habit - well, good "habits" tend to stay with you and you'll know what your next list should include.

Chris

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 14, 2015
Last Updated on July 14, 2015

Author

Laura Harrison
Laura Harrison

Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom



About
My name is Laura, I am 25 and I write poetry to understand life. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Confide Confide

A Poem by A. Amos


"Blind" "Blind"

A Poem by Valentine