A Shift In Time

A Shift In Time

A Story by Cy!
"

Something is changing in a storm

"
"Run faster Isola!” her mother yelled over the wind. Isola rolled her eyes in annoyance, her light brown hair was whipping and stinging her face. She was tired of run-climbing uphill.
Their house was isolated below them. They didn’t have any neighbors close by, so usually it was quiet. Until now, where you could hear ambulances from far away. Dark, swirling, ravenous clouds seemed to consume the entire sky.
Earth, had undergone many changes over time, from pollution, radiation, and harmful chemicals. More people died from being able to breath good air, getting cancer from the radiation, and not getting enough water, or drinking contaminated water.
They had prepared a month ago when they heard about the Vortex Storm. It already destroyed other countries and millions of people, because sadly, they didn’t receive information beforehand about it, until it was too late.
“Where are Will and Dad?” Isola asked. “I thought they were coming with us.”
“I am going to get them,” Her mother answered. She looked down the steep hill tiredly. “Just go and get up to the hill before you get hurt! Lock the door behind you, and don’t come out.”
Isola didn’t know what they could possibly be doing inside the house, but she didn’t care to think about it. Her mom went back to the house while Isola went toward the safe house.
She squinted against the wind. She thought about the other people in the state going to the Community safe house. She had wanted to follow them.
She finally made it to the safe house. Its interior was located underground and the doors were made of steel along with steel bars to support the roof the steel ceiling. The lock on the door was located inside. Her father and his friend worked together on it. Isola’s mind flashed back to the time her father stayed up for weeks at a time making sure everything was secure.
She began to open the door, when she heard a groaning sound from above. She looked up and saw the branch from the tree bending toward her.
Maybe it wasn’t a good idea to build a safe house by a tree Isola thought.
That was all she had time to think about before the tree branch fell, and she was forced back by some invisible force. It felt like a hand grabbing her. She stumbled backwards and bumped into something.
She turned around to look at what grabbed her. She saw no one. Well, that was strange she thought. Shrugging thinking she imagined the whole thing, she looked back toward the safe house and saw the branch blocking the entrance.
“Seriously?” Isola muttered to herself.
She pushed the branch, grunting as she did with all the energy she had. Finally, the branch rolled to the ground.
Rocks were flying around causing smoke, and the air was getting thinner. Isola got more and more nervous with each second she stayed outside. So she opened the door and went in.
It was cooler down here. She turned and closed the door, and locked it. If they need to come in, She thought, they can just knock. Isola wasn’t too concerned about them, mostly because she was a foster kid, and she was passed down by so many parents that it made her numb.
She went downstairs, to the furthest corner of the room.
There were blankets, food, water, first aid items, and a radio there. The food and water was packed into four different black book bags. Looking at them made her feel anxious and worried. She wasn’t sure if they packed enough food and supplies.
Everything is fine. She thought. When she still didn’t feel any better, she said out loud, “It’s okay. Everything is fine.” Even she knew the words sounded empty and unconvincing. Though she already knew about the changes the world, she had a weird feeling in her somewhere deep, that things would only get worse.
At the moment, Isola wasn't hungry. Dizzying fatigue nearly overwhelmed her, but she began to move things over to the door. It seemed to secure the entrance, keep everything out. That done, she grabbed a blanket and cocooned herself inside it. It seemed safer here in the corner, as far away as possible from the noise outside. She shivered...but not against the cold.
Isola woke up with a start. She wasn’t asleep for long because she still felt tired. The ground shook beneath her. Please don’t be an earthquake. She thought to herself. But the ground stilled afterward and it didn’t seem it was going to shake anytime soon.
So she dragged herself away from the corner, and made her way to the door. She decided she would take a brief look outside. Ignoring her mother’s words, she went to the door and unlocked it.
Opening the door she looked down hill and put her hand over her mouth to stifle a scream. The house looked as if a giant slammed its fist into the middle. Fire brightly lit it, licking up the wood and what was left of the house.
Isola backed away quickly back into the safe house, closed the door, and locked it. Then she went back to damp, unwelcoming, corner of the room. She sunk to her knees and put her hands to her head, in her hair.
She thought of Will, who was only 10 years old, and his annoyingly cute accent. He thought of his nagging, crying, pouting, and stubbornness. She thought of Anna her foster mother who always put up with her and Will. Her father who worked day and night to provide for them all. They had been a really good family. Maybe the best family she had in all her years. The sad thing was it only lasted about a month.
She was confused and overwhelmed. How could have something like this happen? Surely, the Vortex storm didn’t occur yet…the newscaster, gave information when the storm was coming. According to what they said, the storm wasn’t supposed to be here for another five hours.
She wished she could feel loss, pain, grief, or something about them. But she didn’t. She definitely wasn't happy. She just felt numb. And empty. She hadn't known them for long, she didn't share many memories with them.
She felt useless. Here she was sitting here, safe, with food, and feeling sorry for herself. The least she could do was at least try to help some people or see if she could help her family. The more she thought of the people suffering out there, the more anxious she became. She started to become more upset at herself. She just felt so useless. Selfish to be sitting here with four bags of food,water, and first aid necessities. Yet, here she was taking a nap?
Isola bolted up, on her feet in an instant. She has had enough. She grabbed one of the black bags, and puts one on her shoulder, and carried one other one in her hand. She was tired before, but somehow wide awake now, with a bolt of energy. She didn’t know what challenges she may face trying to help people, or if her foster family was gone, all she knew is she had to do something.
Walking toward the door, Isola unlocked it, and stepped outside, closing the door behind her.

© 2016 Cy!


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. This was amazing! It would be AWESOME if you continued it! I still liked it a lot, though! Just in case you didn't know, they've changed the writing format to be more like Word, so it's easier to italicize and bold and such.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cy!

7 Years Ago

Yeah but I did this on google docs, and I copy and paste, then it comes out this way. Which is reall.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

309 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on November 16, 2016
Last Updated on November 16, 2016

Author

Cy!
Cy!

Albany, NY



About
hi i like reading, writing, video games, drawing holy crap i made this account a long time ago about time i change my bio? I have decided to move my writing to different website, but i also reme.. more..

Writing
Figuring it out Figuring it out

A Story by Cy!


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Cy!


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Cy!





Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5