Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Alex

My name is Jex. It wasn’t always Jex, but before it was something I cannot remember. The thought was branded out of me with fire and red hot pokers when I was finally bought.

My head was shaved, so that some slavekeeper could burn the Xolan coat of arms into my scalp. A serial number was carved into the base of my neck, and my shoulder too had the Royal Seal etched onto it.

I passed the first ten years of my life being trained to be a slave and then, on my eleventh birthday, I was taken to be named by the Prince.

Being named always sounded like it would be a great moment, but when the day came I found it somewhat dull. I was dragged out of one of my training sessions and taken to wherever the seven year old Prince was playing.

He seemed so confused by what he was doing. He did not wish to be interrupted from his games to name a slave, albeit it being his first.

“I don’t want to,” he said, looking upset.

“Please, your Highness. It is your duty to do so.”

He moaned for several minutes and then stated simply: “His name is Jex.”

And so I was named.

I wish I could say that was the day I established a firm friendship with the Prince and that we have been close ever since. However, that would not be the truth.

I did not see the Prince very often because, although I was a young slave, I was given tasks elsewhere in the palace, or even as a delivery boy outside the grounds in the city of Rixen. We did not actually speak again until I was thirteen and he ten.



© 2014 Alex


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lovely, but this is an abandoned competition. There shall be no winners. But your writing is not the problem. The contest is. I will delete it so nobody else will have their hopes too high.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Very nice start. It was clear and concise and flowed very well.
I'll definitely reading more, as you have now peaked my interests. Well done! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


feels like a good start. smooth narrative.
I'm certainly curious to read the rest. (later, sorry)
good job. thanks for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 30, 2014
Last Updated on July 30, 2014
Tags: fantasy, kingdom, magic, novel


Author

Alex
Alex

London, London, United Kingdom



About
My name is Alex. Sometimes I like writing. There really isn't that much to say about me, so I apologise. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Alex


A New Girl A New Girl

A Chapter by Alex


Parents Evening Parents Evening

A Chapter by Alex