Forever With the Mockingbird

Forever With the Mockingbird

A Poem by Pryde Foltz
"

My contribution to the pantheon of mockingbird poems. Please read author notes

"

This poem has moved. Be sure to click on the youtube link below to read and listen:)


Audio at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP3EodGw_iE






Published in Strays. Available on Amazon.



Strays is a collection of two extended narratives and more than forty love-themed poems, exploring the meaning of romantic love while we have it and attempting to find the healing after its loss. Found within these pages is the short story Gutter Dog, the novelette Ginni, and the poems False Skin, the Boy Who Wore Clothes, and the Black-Wit Reveller.

© 2014 Pryde Foltz


Author's Note

Pryde Foltz
This piece was composed quite awhile ago. At the time, I believed that another had denied me romantic love, obviously as the content above would suggest, I felt my due. By certain measures this individual did indeed behave badly, leading one along the garden path so to speak, ending our relationship because of a more easily recognizable pull of ego. But I realize now, he was no more guilty of ego than I. I thought he might somehow fulfil me. The second stanza represents this, the laying of one bare so the other can heal you. An impossible thing to ask from another human being and he fled. Who could blame him, really? But still, I did not give over to what was and I waited him out. He won. Tears to shards, I created my own suffering again by not accepting what was. So as the title would suggest the joke really was on me, but not for the reason I thought. The last stanza has now taken on entirely different meaning. I assure you, It is not my heart that is lost and forgotten. And it's not him either.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I laid out my heart
In a finger-boned bowl
Feathered breast-plate smashed
You wanted only flesh
Torn shreds of bared loin

This above is surreal and graphic and formidably penned. A stellar metaphor for baring a soul. the rest of the poem is just as strong but that image will stay with me.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Tammy. That stanza is my favourite too.
I laid out my heart
In a finger-boned bowl
Feathered breast-plate smashed
You wanted only flesh
Torn shreds of bared loin

This above is surreal and graphic and formidably penned. A stellar metaphor for baring a soul. the rest of the poem is just as strong but that image will stay with me.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Hmm... pain can be quite inspiring.


Mockingbirds are beautiful as well.


thank you for sharing your thoughts
and feelings and this creative write
and Jon and I appreciate your kind review
and comment you left.


I enjoyed reading this as well.


Blessings. Benita/ kindred poet

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Benita.
Benita-Staebell M - KindredPoet

9 Years Ago

you're welcome. was a pleasure to read. Blessings. Benita/ kindred poet
Love in general is something so elusive and mysterious, beautiful, but also dark, it is a thing, we humans, shall never be finished talking about, or living without, it's around you and it can leave you, it's like the wind, and weather, it can change, and its unpredictable. You convey this mystery so well here Pryde. The mockingbird, I see as a special angel, in between the two here.

Excellent.

- Elisa -xx-

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thanks Elisa. The mockingbird as an angel … yeah, I can see that, but my can some deliverance hurt.. read more
Beautiful. So much complexity to this... I really think this is the kind of poem that could take on different forms of meaning at different life stages.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Very kind. Thank you, Diana.
╰☆╮I love that you used a mockingbird. Wonderful work.╰☆╮

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Brittany.
I like that you've explained your poem to make the most of its depth and your message. The in 'a nest warmed' line was really good.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, persona.
It is a wise and honest person who knows more than one individual is to blame when a relationship goes bad. Such a mature outlook in this introspective write, Pryde. I enjoyed it. Lydi**

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Always the truth. Thank you, Lydi**.
quite thought-provoking. A well written poem

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, John.
It is always easier to ponder our love after the fact. In the moment, it is so raw we feel justified in feeling we were wronged -- which, sometimes we are, but it still takes two -- what an amazing note to go with this poem, full of self awareness and introspection. A wonderful addition to the piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, KL. I think you summed it up wonderfully. I usually leave my poems open for interpretatio.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1159 Views
35 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 5, 2014
Last Updated on September 7, 2014

Author

Pryde Foltz
Pryde Foltz

Vancouver, Canada



About
My written work can be found on amazon.com https://goo.gl/o8sLUi Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/prydefoltzwriter/ twitter: @Pryde Foltz Facebook: pryde foltz Youtubehttps:/http://goo.gl/Eqx.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..