Woodsprite ⁓ (gentle fantasy)

Woodsprite ⁓ (gentle fantasy)

A Poem by Richard🖌
"

Villanelle: One I selected for you from the archives.

"

 photo WOODSPRITE_zpszgk12o2t.jpg

                             1st Place Winner
                                                          
                    Blue Rose Villanelle Contest

© 2022 Richard🖌


Author's Note

Richard🖌
"VILLANELLE"

The Villanelle is Italian (later French), feminine of villanello ‘rural', diminutive of villano ‘peasant'. A form of Italian part-song originating in Naples in the 16th century, in rustic style with a vigorous rhythm.
Each line ends in a rhyme, either "A1" “a” "A2" or “b” with "A1" and "A2" rhymes repeated as refrains; each line is of the same syllable count, and that count is of the writer's choosing … I chose 10 syllables (5 poetic feet) in iambic pentameter, for a nice flow and even tempo; the lines are composed in five Tercets (3 line verses) and a concluding Quatrain (4 line verse), giving the Villanelle 19 total lines.

A1 = Exact Repeat Refrains
a = End Line Rhymes with A1, A2, and all other a's
b = End Line Rhymes with all other b's
A2
 = Exact Repeat Refrains

Thus, the end line rhymes and Refrain repetitions are as follows:
Verse 1: A1 b A2

Verse 2: a b A1
Verse 3: a b A2
Verse 4: a b A1

Verse 5: a b A2

Quatrain: a b A1 A2

One of the most noted examples of the Villanelle form is Welsh poet Dylan Thomas’, “Do not go gentle into that good night”.
Try this form, have fun and enjoy the challenge … the beauty in the end is well worth the effort, and you'll be a better, more accomplished poet for it.

Please, feel free to critique my work, offering anything you feel will help improve it! ✍

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Love the ending. Eternal youth. You are a wordsmith of a caliber I've never been shot with. I've been wounded by Poe. Grazed by Frost. And took a shotgun blast from Gorman. But you hit my bullseye here in the heart of my brain. Please do take aim again!!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

2 Years Ago

Thanks for reading me again, Bill 👍

Your compliment is certainly appreciated … g.. read more



Reviews

Keko-desu.

The villanelle I've found to be a formidable challenge, and you've done it well. The key to me is to find just the right couplet as the starting point.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

1 Year Ago

Yes, Winston,

If we are able to keep an open mind and heart, coupled with proper stud.. read more
Oh, my dear Richard... I am so enchanted and love walking through a wonderful storybook magical forest along side of you.
Playful and youthful your ... words fill my heart with loving thoughts..oh, so many thoughts..
Another adventure in rhyme for me to look at and contemplate. Thank you!!
Quite a challenge....
Lisa


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

2 Years Ago

Hi, Lady Lisa✨

Your review is such a charming gift to an olde bard's hopeful expect.. read more
Lisasview

2 Years Ago

You are most welcome my dearest Richard.
It is always a joy to read whatever you write..
read more
Richard🖌

2 Years Ago

Lisa,
The rest of your message after "read more" was cut-off.
Love the ending. Eternal youth. You are a wordsmith of a caliber I've never been shot with. I've been wounded by Poe. Grazed by Frost. And took a shotgun blast from Gorman. But you hit my bullseye here in the heart of my brain. Please do take aim again!!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

2 Years Ago

Thanks for reading me again, Bill 👍

Your compliment is certainly appreciated … g.. read more
wonderful richard, the story & rhyme. would love to be able to write poetically like that ! unfortunately my style is rather pedestrian, i think it's because i'm not a romantic, & flowery imagery so far has always eluded me.
cheerio carola

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

4 Years Ago

Thank you, Lady Carola🌟

In your words of praise and expressed appreciation is reve.. read more
I read this in "behind the smile" I shared this with my granddaughter because of the natural melodic flow that this form has, It is also fun to say the repeated phrases in the different intonations. As I mentioned to you it sits in my waiting area at the Zenith along with neville's new book and when she comes to visit the store sometimes we do a little poetry writing she is getting to be quite the rhymer:) Oh yeah and she loves anything to do with fairies or unicorns LOL. By the way Don't go gentle is one of my absolute favorite poems. I have never had the occasion to meet a fairy but every time I see her I feel like I'm twenty years younger:) This was all lovely in feeling and flow and a fine fairy tale to boot good Sir Richard!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

4 Years Ago

Ahhhh-so, My Keen-minded Friend!
How remiss of me to not recall this piece was included in my.. read more
Beautiful, wonderful and amazing tale of loving. I loved the ancient feel of the words. Took the reader with. Thank you Richard for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

5 Years Ago

Hi, John! ; )
I'm really surprised you've just now found this one, but I'm as happy you did, .. read more
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I liked this poem and you are welcome Richard.
With light and flirty heart your readers will go with you today to a land of fairytale dreams to let go of the cares of this world, while imagination takes them to beautiful places that only 'dreamers' can ever embrace. Thank you dear 'sir' for affording us the privaledge of sharing the beauty of your talented mind.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

5 Years Ago

Hi, Kitty Dear! 🌸
I love it when you go a'wandering through my older poems … I wish more.. read more
kitty

5 Years Ago

Always and forever, most heartily welcome.
A perfect Villanelle. A wonderful progression of a story line flowing from one repitition the other. Imagery well worded and the fantasy theme surely comes shinning through. A touch of magic wrapped up in a Villanelle.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

5 Years Ago

"Perfect"?
Thank you, Susan,
To receive such an accolade from an accomplished and publ.. read more
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the poem and left the page feeing better than before I found it. Well done.

I cherished the directions, and folded Tab A into Slot B while avoiding Flange C and using the #6 machine screw and NOT the #6 wood screw. I just love it when a plan comes together.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Delmar, for the positive feedback.
I am very happy you found a sense of enjoyment .. read more
Delmar Cooper

6 Years Ago

Richard, thank you for the form directions. I simply could not resist my smart alec comment.
Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

You are most welcome, Delmar. : )

Smart aleck comments?
I thought they were cr.. read more
'Again a youth, my hair no longer grey,
'tis truth I speak to you, I do declare.
How things turn us and transform us is a wonderment and that has come out in your write, Richard.
The form is something to learn. I got swayed in the read of this magical craft.thank you for sharing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Aw, Bala!
How beautifully your voice touches.
I thank you so very much for gifting me .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2243 Views
41 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 11, 2015
Last Updated on April 3, 2022

Author

Richard🖌
Richard🖌

Houston, TX



About
~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~·&.. more..

Writing
Pic Pic

A Poem by Richard🖌



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..