A Fraction of Freedom

A Fraction of Freedom

A Chapter by Red Rose
"

Only a minute. That is all you need to change.

"
Chapter 2. Euphoric Girl

There was no time to waste. I inspected my sleeveless, dark blue dress that ended at my knees. It didn't do a good job at hiding my discreet punishments. I ran back to my room and grabbed my only, slightly worn out, red scarf and wrapped it around myself. 
If anyone sees my marks, it will cause sure trouble and that's the last thing I need. But I may have a chance at freedom...
 I shook my head. What was I thinking? I'm a slave! Nothing more.

My heart thudded fast as I made my way to the front door. This is it.. Was this how Neil Armstrong felt when he took his first step onto the moon? This feeling of euphoria?
 I slowly placed my right feet outside the doorstep and then the next, gripping the bucket hard. I closed my eyes and breathed in the fresh air. All my senses felt heightened. 
I felt like running away and never returning. But.. I can't. 

I opened my eyes and walked forward with determination although my knees felt weak. 
Is this really happening? The sun was shining brighter than usual or is it because I haven't been out much? The more I edged closer to the boundary of Lockhart's property, the faster I walked, and the more I became nervous and excited. Closer.. Closer...
 In the end I sprinted out of my lifelong prison, not looking back. The wind in my hair, the sun on my face, and the soft grass beneath my feet. I felt revived.

"I'm freeee!" I let my voice out. It sounded strong and bold whereas the entire time with Lockhart my voice came out weak and soft. Alas.. 
When I was well away from Lockhart's house, I slowed down to a walk. I looked around with wide eyes taking in what had been stolen from me. 
Tall oak trees on either sides providing just enough shade without hiding the sun's beauty. The trees had an enchanting effect to it. I wanted to touch them. It was drawing me in..
 I stopped. I didn't have much time.

I hesitantly walked forward to the river I knew by heart. The river I had not seen for twelve years. I could hear the water rushing down the river as I got closer. The gravel road separated to two, and I took the right path. 
I finally arrived and the sight shocked me. How could this happen? That essence of magic is now gone. 
The once clear blue water has now turned a sludgy blackish brown color. All of the beautiful lush green trees have been cut down leaving short stumps as proof of their fallen reign. 

Hazy memories of me with my family spending time here flashed through my mind. I could swear I heard my childish laughter and Alex's teasing voice.
I sighed. Those days are gone now and can never be back. I reached the edge of the river and bent to collect some water regardless how dirty it is. 
As I did, I caught my reflection in the water, surprising me that it is capable of doing that despite how muddy it is. It still has life, I realized. But it won't last long. And once again I'm helpless.

I backed away from the heart wrenching scene with a heavy bucket, and a heavy heart.
I walked on until I reached the crossroad. My feet walked back the same path I took to reach here, but my heart was refusing. I stopped in my tracks, listening to the argument between my heart and mind. 
Just for a minute.. No! Lockhart would notice. But he can't see me. This was my chance. If I don't go, I'll always regret. But go where?

I turned around and walked the opposite direction that leads to town. Just this once, that's all, I convinced myself. Besides, Mary would suffer if I don't return. And I cannot let that happen.
My heart beated rapidly. I had to admit, doing this felt good. It made me feel alive..

The rocky gravel road became more levelled as I grew closer to civilization, although I still could not see any houses and buildings. My feet kept moving.
 All of sudden, a tiny black speck appeared in the far distance. And it seemed to be moving. It grew bigger and I realized it was moving toward me. It was a car!
 Are they looking for me? Did Lockhart call them? A thousand questions stormed my mind. I leaped into the shadows of the trees that lined the road and hid behind them.

 The car arrived quicker than expected, but it still kept moving, showing no signs of being on the lookout for a sixteen year old girl. That was strange. What would a car be doing in this underdeveloped part of the country? And why is it going away from town? 
Nothing can be found in that direction except for Lockhart's house... 
Speaking of which, Lockhart acted strange as well. He let me out. Why after all this time? 
These two incidents seemed to have a connection. It was far too noticeable to be a mere coincidence. The answer was right there, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

I snapped back to reality. I had been walking. Where have I come? I looked around. Seems like I've gone deeper, past the trees. The trees here were larger and taller. 
An opening among the huge trees caught my eye. My instinct to explore kicked in. All thoughts of the earlier incidents left me. 
Carefully making my way over the roots I reached the opening. 

I gasped. It was.. It was beautiful! The most delicate looking meadow sat there. Lavender and dandelion flowers decorated the green grass. And beside it a small stream ran, a complete contradiction from the muddy river. The sun shone off the crystal clear water, creating an epitome of nature's beauty. It was untouched by human hands. 

I stood above the stream and looked at my reflection. Tears slid down my face. I sat down heavily on the grass and took in my life. For reasons I could not comprehend, I began to compare myself to the river and this stream.
 I lay back among the flowers and let myself cry. Why am I crying? I guess I'm just happy but... sad. This stream represents me before my parents died, and the river is how I've turned out now. 
I'm not living. Just surviving. 
And the time has come. The time to go back and survive.


© 2016 Red Rose


Author's Note

Red Rose
The second chapter! I hope you like it! ^-^

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Haha incomplete... its' called suspense!!!
This is a chapter in a book, what better way to keep the reader engaged than ending a chapter as such emotionally unforgiving spot!
Very amazing imagery and descriptions and the symbolism youu include. How the water, the river is her, and she turned dirtier that could maybe be the quality of her life. "Just surviving as you wrote".
Nice job Red Rose, keep it up!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Red Rose

7 Years Ago

Thanx a lot Josh!
I can rest in peace now. :)



Reviews

Haha incomplete... its' called suspense!!!
This is a chapter in a book, what better way to keep the reader engaged than ending a chapter as such emotionally unforgiving spot!
Very amazing imagery and descriptions and the symbolism youu include. How the water, the river is her, and she turned dirtier that could maybe be the quality of her life. "Just surviving as you wrote".
Nice job Red Rose, keep it up!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Red Rose

7 Years Ago

Thanx a lot Josh!
I can rest in peace now. :)
I liked it an di hope you do more this is an amazingly gripping story

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Red Rose

7 Years Ago

Ur few words mean a lot to me. Thank you!
First of all I would like to say that I LOVED it. I do, however, have to say that it felt... incomplete, like it wasn't supposed to have ended there. In my opinion a chapter should have at least one plot point in it, something that reveals something about the plot. I know that you used the car for this but I still think it could have more to it. All in all though I still loved it and can't wait to read more.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Red Rose

7 Years Ago

Thanx. I'll do d changes as soon as possible. =)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

359 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 29, 2016
Last Updated on December 8, 2016
Tags: Moments


Author

Red Rose
Red Rose

Kandy, Central Province, Sri Lanka



About
18 hyper and eccentric! (coz honestly normal is boring :P) Dream big and dream a lot. You don't always need a reason. Do it just because. #zquad ^-^ more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Dream? A Dream?

A Chapter by Red Rose