8. A Big Decision

8. A Big Decision

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Carla Lopez drops a bombshell on Chrissy.

"

Chrissy grabbed her novel and sat down on the sofa for some much needed quiet time. It was Saturday afternoon and Ian was at his studio working on his latest painting. He had offered to take Emily with him so that Chrissy could enjoy some time to herself, but she knew that he wouldn't get anything done with their nine-year-old foster daughter there. The child would get bored and start bugging him with questions the whole time and he wouldn't be able to concentrate on his art. So she had told him to go ahead and that she would watch Emily.


At least Emily wasn't bothering her at the moment as she relaxed and read her novel. The child was being quiet for a change. Chrissy set her novel down and listened carefully. She furrowed her brow.


Emily was being too quiet!


She got up and went down the hall toward their bedrooms. She peeked in Emily's room and found it empty. The bathroom door was ajar but the bathroom was dark. Where was she? Chrissy looked into her own bedroom and saw the little girl standing at her make-up table on the other side of the bed. Chrissy's make-up table was just a plain, small table with a drawer that she had purchased for cheap at a garage sale. Behind the table was a large mirror.


Chrissy immediately started across the room with an angry look on her face. Emily saw her in the mirror and stepped back from the table as she set a lipstick down. Her face was smeared with Chrissy's make-up, making her look ridiculous. She immediately knew she was in trouble by the angry look on Chrissy's face. Chrissy was a private person and didn't like anybody touching her things.


“Emily!” snapped Chrissy, “You know better than to get into my stuff!”


“I'm sorry,” Emily replied in a meek voice.


“Look at you! Your face is a mess. And some of this make-up is really expensive!” Blue fire flashed from Chrissy's eyes as she glared at the child. “You better not have gotten any on your shirt!”


Emily looked down at the floor. “I just wanted to look pretty, like you,” she said in a very quiet voice.


Chrissy regarded her suspiciously. She was cynical enough to believe that such a statement was meant to be manipulative. But she quickly decided that Emily was neither devious enough nor clever enough to try such a thing. Her face softened just a little. She sighed, pulled out the chair that was in front of the table and reached for a container of facial wipes as she sat down. “Alright then, let's get this stuff cleaned off of you... then we'll start over,” she said as she began roughly scrubbing Emily's face.


As Emily's face was drying, Chrissy began searching through her cosmetics to try to find something suitable for a nine-year-old. As she searched, she came across a small, black canvas bag that she didn't immediately recognize. She unzipped it and looked inside. A faint smile crossed her lips when she realized it was her Goth make-up from her younger days.


Chrissy had never actually been a Goth. She'd never liked their preoccupation with vampires and death. But she loved the way they dressed. So she and Suzee (and sometimes Tonya) used to make themselves up and go out to the clubs on Goth night.


She took out a lipstick and opened it. It was black. She gave Emily a side-long look and a crooked smile.


“Open your mouth a little,” she said, turning toward her, “too much... that's better. Now stick your lower lip out a little.” She applied the lipstick to Emily's lips. Then she dumped the rest of the bag's contents onto the table and began to go through it. She spent the next twenty minutes giving Emily's face a total Goth make-over complete with a pale, white foundation, red eye shadow and heavy, black eye liner to go with the black lipstick. When she was done, she applied black fingernail polish to Emily's nails.


“Don't touch anything until they're dry and don't you dare scratch your head!” she said sternly. As Emily's nails were drying she made up her own face in similar style starting with dark, green lipstick. She even let Emily choose some of the colors. Then she painted her own nails a dark green to match her lips. “Come on, let's find you something to wear,” she said and the two of them went into Emily's room and began searching her closet.


Emily didn't have anything remotely Goth in her closet. Chrissy almost gave up until she found a pink 'Hello Kitty' tee-shirt at the bottom of one of her drawers. Perfect!


“Marge gave that to me for my birthday,” said Emily with a look of distaste, “but, I never wore it. Hello Kitty is for babies!”


“Not among Goths,” explained Chrissy, “Goths think Hello Kitty is cool.”


“Really?”


“Yup, go to any night club on Goth night and you'll see full grown women wearing Hello Kitty tee-shirts.”


“Wow!”


The shirt was just big enough to serve as a small dress so they found a pair of black stirrup-pants for her to wear underneath. But there was nothing even remotely Goth among Emily's footwear, so Chrissy just painted her toenails black to match her fingernails. Then Chrissy looked through her own accessories drawer and found a black, studded dog collar necklace for Emily's neck. She pulled her long, blonde hair up into high pig-tails and tied them with large, black bows. She looked like a macabre little doll.


For herself she found a stainless steel chain with a skull pendent and a black tank top with a large, white skull silk-screened on the front. She, too, put on a pair of black tights and her black work boots. She 'spiked' her short, black hair with some mousse and finished off with razor-blade earrings. Then they stood in front of the mirror admiring themselves - the Goth queen and her little princess. Emily beamed!


Chrissy got out her camera and started doing a photo-shoot of Emily in her make-up. “Stand by the window where the sun is coming in. Don't smile... Goths don't smile. Pretend you're an 'Ice Queen', dark and mysterious. Perfect!” (click... click... ) She took several snapshots of Emily and then got out her tripod and, using the timer on the camera, took several pictures of the two of them together. The doorbell rang in the middle of their photo-shoot.


“Come on,” said Chrissy with an evil smile, “It's probably some religious kooks or a stupid politician looking for votes. Let's answer it together.” They went to the front door and looked with blank, zombie-like stares as Chrissy opened it and found a rather surprised Carla Lopez on their front step. Carla Lopez was Emily's case worker from Childrens' Services. Chrissy grimaced. S**t!


To her credit, Lopez recovered her composure rather quickly. “Hmm...” she said with one eyebrow raised, “I must have the wrong apartment. This seems to be the Addams Family residence.”


“Oh, hello, Ms. Lopez,” said Chrissy as she sheepishly stepped back from the door, “Come in, please.”


Lopez stepped into the living room and looked around. Chrissy wondered if she was looking for signs of a satanic ritual. Then she gave Chrissy a very discerning look.


“We were... just... playing with my make-up,” stammered Chrissy nervously.


Lopez finally gave her a warm smile. “Relax, Chrissy,” she said in a friendly tone, “We encourage interaction between the children and their foster parents, including playing... er... 'dress-up'.” She made a gesture at their outfits. Then she walked over to the kitchen and looked in. Chrissy gave a sigh of relief that she and Ian had just given the entire apartment a thorough cleaning. After a few pleasantries, Lopez took Emily off to her room to talk in private for awhile, which was standard procedure during official visits.


Chrissy was in the kitchen making a pot of coffee when they returned. She offered Lopez a cup and she accepted. Then Lopez turned to Emily and said, “I need to speak to Chrissy in private, Emily. Why don't you go to your room for a little while.” After Emily left the kitchen, Chrissy poured herself a cup of coffee and sat down at the table with Lopez. Lopez had a serious look on her face and Chrissy grew concerned. Was something wrong?


“First of all,” Lopez began, “I want you to know that I am completely satisfied with Emily's placement here with you and Ian and I intend to put that in my report.”


“I appreciate that, Ms. Lopez,” answered Chrissy a little despondently, “But I wonder if I'm such a good foster mother for Emily. Sometimes I think she deserves better.”


“Nonsense!” retorted Lopez, “Don't underestimate yourself! I had my doubts about you at first, but not anymore. I've spoken to Emily's teacher and she's informed me that her grades have done a complete turn around and that she's going to advance to the next grade because of you. You and Ian have given Emily exactly what she needs; structure, discipline and a sense of belonging. In fact, I was hoping Ian would be here so that we could discuss the next step.”


“Next step?”


“Chrissy, have you and Ian given any thought to adopting Emily?”


Adopting her?! Geez! I don't know. That's a big step.”


Lopez' face grew even more serious. “Our ultimate goal at Childrens' Services is to find permanent homes for all of the children in our care.”


“I understand that, Ms Lopez, and I'm not saying that adopting Emily is out of the question. I just think we need some more time.”


“No, I don't think you do understand, Chrissy,” replied Lopez, “Emily is available for adoption right now, and that means that if the right couple or individual came along and wanted to adopt her, I would be obligated to do everything in my power to facilitate that.”


Chrissy's eyes grew wide with astonishment. “You mean you would let someone adopt her out from under us?!”


Lopez nodded. “If we felt that the fit was right. Look, Chrissy, I don't want to pressure you into a decision you're not ready to make. But I thought it was important that you understood the situation. Talk it over with Ian. I think Emily belongs here with the two of you. But she needs permanence.”


Chrissy looked dazed as she slowly nodded. Lopez had just dropped a real bombshell on her.


“Well,” said Lopez as she stood up, “I've got one more visit to make today, so I'd better get going. Thank you for the coffee, Chrissy.”


Chrissy walked her to the door. After Lopez left, Chrissy leaned back against the door and shut her eyes. Adoption! Adoption was permanent! There would be no backing out. The thought scared Chrissy. But the thought of losing Emily to someone else scared her even more. She felt torn and confused. She almost felt as if she was being backed into a corner.


“Are you okay?” Emily had come back out and was standing in front of her with a worried look.


Chrissy shook her head a little to clear it. “Huh? Uh... yeah, sure, Squirt.”


“Can we go back to our photo-shoot?” asked Emily hopefully.


Chrissy looked at the clock on the wall. “It's getting late,” she replied, “I better start supper.”


Emily looked down despondently. “Oh... okay,” she said.


Chrissy watched her start to walk away and then said, “Wait... you wanna help me make supper?”


Emily's face lit up. “Can we keep our make-up on?”


“Sure, Kid. Maybe we can scare the hell out of Ian when he gets home.”


“Yeah!”



© 2014 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
Suggestions and constructive criticisms are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

These chapters lately have been very human in construction. The relationship between Emily and Chrissy is excellent, although Chrissy doesn't feel as badass as she used to. Actually, thinking on that statement - the situation and perspective in the story lately has leaned toward her being a mother; new ground that she's uncomfortable with. If she didn't obviously love Emily, I'd expect Chrissy to be colder toward Lopez. For a character out of their element, Chrissy is doing almost what I'd expect her to. Growth and boundaries are critical for a character-based story like this, and Chrissy is getting a lot of that.

I didn't like the (clicks) for the camera. It drew my attention to them and away from what was happening. They were good for sound, but I don't think the parenthesis are necessary.

Love that jab at goths - 'preoccupation with vampires and death.' I've been putting thought toward a vampire story of my own; where the main vampire is an ugly bum that lives under cardboard boxes.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

I agree about Chrissy's attitude toward Lopez. I think Chrissy feels like she HAS to be nice or at .. read more



Reviews

These chapters lately have been very human in construction. The relationship between Emily and Chrissy is excellent, although Chrissy doesn't feel as badass as she used to. Actually, thinking on that statement - the situation and perspective in the story lately has leaned toward her being a mother; new ground that she's uncomfortable with. If she didn't obviously love Emily, I'd expect Chrissy to be colder toward Lopez. For a character out of their element, Chrissy is doing almost what I'd expect her to. Growth and boundaries are critical for a character-based story like this, and Chrissy is getting a lot of that.

I didn't like the (clicks) for the camera. It drew my attention to them and away from what was happening. They were good for sound, but I don't think the parenthesis are necessary.

Love that jab at goths - 'preoccupation with vampires and death.' I've been putting thought toward a vampire story of my own; where the main vampire is an ugly bum that lives under cardboard boxes.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

I agree about Chrissy's attitude toward Lopez. I think Chrissy feels like she HAS to be nice or at .. read more
I'm sure I only come on here to chexk if you've got an update on the story. I love this chapter. I'm not sure, I sortof feel as though Chrissy is so much more ready for that step than she thinks she is which made the chapter sweeter for me. Because its what she wants ahe just arcs up when she feels trapped by it. Haha or maybe its just because she reminds me so much of someone.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thanks Kaya. It's a little bit more complicated than that. But that will come out in the next few .. read more
Fantastic chapter. I like how Chrissy handled the make up situation with Emily. And the big bomb shell she and Ian will have to seriously consider. Adopt Emily or risk losing her to someone else. Can't wait to see what they decide. I'm enjoying your book a lot!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much.
I like the response to the permanent situation. I think for most first time parents, there is that moment of panick and doubt. Then your kid does something that makes all that doubt go to the back of your mind, and all is good again. I can't wait to see if Ian and Emily will be onboard with the idea, and if Chrissy will be too. Its sounds like she wants to, or she wouldn't had made the comment about her getting adopted out from under them.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you for continuing to read and review.
You don't know how I have been waiting for another chapter! I am so hooked on this story and I love this chapter and where the story has come to, thus far. The character's inner dialogue and with each other is believable and the diction matches their personalities. Each chapter has just the right amount of interaction, not too long or too short. I look forward to more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

There's plenty more coming. Thank you for you kind review.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

619 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 18, 2013
Last Updated on August 12, 2014
Tags: romance, love, parenting, foster parent, adoption


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591