9. Feelings of Disquiet.

9. Feelings of Disquiet.

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Emily has to decide if she wants to go along with the adoption.

"

Chrissy went into Emily's bedroom to say goodnight and found the little girl sitting up in her bed with a thoughtful look on her face. “It's important that you understand that this is your decision, too,” said Chrissy as she sat down on the edge of the bed, “If you say 'no' then we won't do it.”


Emily looked troubled. “Part of me wants to say 'yes' real bad,” she replied, “I love you and Ian. But part of me feels kind of funny about it. Like... like...”


“Like you're betraying your folks?” Chrissy finished for her.


A look of mild astonishment came over Emily's face. “Yeah!”


Chrissy nodded with understanding. “Well, I think your mom and dad would want what's best for you. And since they can't be here to take care of you themselves, I think they'd want you to find someone you like and trust to do it for them.”


“Do you really think so?”


“Yeah.”


“If we do it, no one can take me away from you?”


Chrissy shook her head. “Not unless we mistreat you,” she answered, “And that's not going to happen.”


“Will I have to call you guys 'Mom' and 'Dad'?”


Chrissy shrugged. “That's up to you, Squirt.”


Emily grew thoughtful for several seconds, then replied, “You guys have always been Ian and Chrissy to me. Can I keep calling you that?”


Chrissy gave her a faint smile. “Sure, Kid,” she answered, though she felt a small pang of regret. Deep inside of every woman is a small part of her that wants to be called 'Mom'.


Emily smiled. “Then my answer is 'yes'.” She leaned forward and gave Chrissy a firm hug.


“Alright, I'll call Ms. Lopez tomorrow and tell her to get started on it. Now, get some sleep, you have school tomorrow.” She kissed her on the forehead and got up from the bed. “Night, Squirt.”


“G'night, Chrissy.”


Chrissy left Emily's room but didn't go back to the living room where Ian was watching TV. Instead, she went into their bedroom and lay back on their bed and stared at the ceiling. She couldn't understand why she was having misgivings about adopting Emily. She thought the world of the little girl. And Emily was finally settling down to her new life with them after a rather rough initial period of adjustment. She couldn't stand the thought of Childrens' Services taking Emily away from them and giving her to another family. Adopting her would virtually guarantee that that wouldn't happen. But something was gnawing at her. Something she couldn't quite put her finger on. Something just didn't feel right.


She sighed. She got up from the bed and went out to the living room. “Emily said 'yes',” she told him as she sat down.


“Great!” he beamed, “Then it's all settled.”


“Yeah... it's all settled.”





© 2013 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
As always, suggestions and constructive criticism are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You're doing a great job of making tension out of Chrissy's doubts; I have no ideas as to why she's apprehensive about adopting Emily.

"Deep inside of every woman is a small part of her that wants to be called 'Mom'." I feel like that statement is too general, since it's all about Chrissy right now. If that's part of the reason she's unsure about Emily, it would make for an excellent, subtle hint.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You're doing a great job of making tension out of Chrissy's doubts; I have no ideas as to why she's apprehensive about adopting Emily.

"Deep inside of every woman is a small part of her that wants to be called 'Mom'." I feel like that statement is too general, since it's all about Chrissy right now. If that's part of the reason she's unsure about Emily, it would make for an excellent, subtle hint.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This chapter was so touching. But it made me so sad for chrissy and I'm not even 100% sure I underatand why.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Kaya. I'm having a hard time writing the next chapter. There's nothing traumatic. It's ju.. read more
A very touching chapter. Such a big decision. Even thought I don't know what is troubling Chrissy I'm not surprised by her hesitation. Our lives are complicated and that goes for Chrissy. There are ghosts in our pasts and they show up from time to time. That's my guess in regards to what's troubling Chrissy. Good chapter!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

It will come out in the next chapter, if I can just sit down and write it!
Tina Kline

10 Years Ago

Your readers are waiting...!!!!
Great chapter, as always -- real characters and dialogue.

But what's eating Chrissy! Is it her resistance to commitment, self-doubt, or...maybe an authorial premonition? (Emily is, in fact, an undercover foreign spy! Chrissy is, in fact, an amnesiac government agent who unconsciously holds the secret to controlling the entire universe! Ian is, in fact, a guy who sometimes doesn't have a clue!)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Aww... you figured it out!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

533 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 30, 2013
Last Updated on April 30, 2013
Tags: romance, love, humor, parenting, foster parent, adoption


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


10. Depression 10. Depression

A Chapter by Craig2591


Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591


10. Surprise 10. Surprise

A Chapter by Craig2591