Whatever you need

Whatever you need

A Story by Lyn Anderson
"

life's little bites

"
Somehow it all started with his birthday weekend. She wanted it to be perfect. It ended up in a tangle that made her feel like everything she wanted might suddenly be derailed. She forgave him instantly. But he couldn't forgive himself. It wasn't even about her, but somehow it was. 
She had finally resolved to tell him she loved him. It took him days to open her present he was so despondent. When he finally did, he seemed sad. 
No one was harder on this man than he was on himself when he screwed up. He certainly didn't need her pushing him at that moment. So, she let it be. When she couldn't stand it any longer, she called him.
"So, I think you know we need to talk about it," she said gently.
"Uh huh", was his barely audible response.
"It isn't about me telling you how I feel, is it?" she questioned.
"No", he said simply. "I have been worrying since my birthday weekend." 
"Ok, she said, "this isn't something either of us wanted or expected, but I understand, and I choose YOU."
They talked then, really talked, about anything and everything, for over an hour. 
She ended the conversation with a question. "So, we're good, then, you and me?" 
"Yes", he said.
Just like that, they found their groove again ...

That Sunday, while she was still basking in the afterglow of another incredible, sexy, fun Saturday night, she got his text while shopping on the internet.
"What are you up to?"
"Browsing the internet", she replied.
"So you're not that busy?"

Alarm bells were already buzzing in her head. This man NEVER asked her for anything.
"I might need a ride". 
She was off the couch and out the door and in the car without responding back via text. She called the kids using the bluetooth to tell them she'd be out for a bit and then she called him.
"Do I need to call an ambulance?"
"No," he said, "just come get me".


Funny. It's only been three weeks since his birthday, and two weeks since that long night in the hospital emergency room. Since then it's been xrays and blood work and CT scans. His family doctor calling the house on a Friday night. Him asking if she wanted to come to the specialist. 
Of course she did. 

Death by a thousand cuts. That's what she's feeling right now. The emergency room was different somehow. Then, she thought it might be a heart attack. As weird as that sounds, that wasn't as scary as this. That night, it was heart monitors and pulse rates, things she could see in the moment and grasp ... 

This, now this, is terrifying. 

She asks him where they are going and he leads her down the maze of hallways to their final destination. There are two signs above them -- she tentatively asks, "the respiratory one?"
"No," he says simply, and guides her down the hall to the left -- the one that says cancer care ...

© 2018 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson
A work in progress

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This builds to an emotional vortex, sucking the reader in. Then; Cliffhanger. Well done.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

5 Years Ago

Thank you kindly.
I must resist the urge to wonder if this is from your own true current life, the whole time I'm reading. That's becuz you have this way of veiling your words & intent somewhat, so I feel like I'm guessing at some of the connective tissue of your story. It feels like you are extremely skittish about revealing anything deep or personal about your true life. I don't blame you & I understand some of why this might be so. I don't think anything is distracting or needs changing. I'm just letting you know how it feels as I read. Since this is a continuing saga, I hope the coming installments are not too grueling (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

5 Years Ago

Thanks for reading. Most of my stories are a combo fact-fiction. Working out the kinks on the balanc.. read more
One never knows the bombshell that is serious health issues until it happens. (I've had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel since the age of 43) When things are really bad, the importance of someone being with you and supporting you through the ordeal cannot be overemphasized.In your story, the fellow is lucky to have that. "Found their groove again..." -- I loved seeing that.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

5 Years Ago

Thanks. You kind of never know until you're sick if you can depend on the other.
a compelling read indeed... I hope the job gets done quickly and to everyone's satisfaction... Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

5 Years Ago

Thank you for reading, I appreciate your time
Neville

5 Years Ago

no worries, no problem, my pleasure... Neville
Well begun and a splendid ending. Well, I say splendid from a writing point of view, otherwise dreadful news for the protagonists.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

5 Years Ago

Yes I understood what you meant... thank you for taking the time
So sorry to read this Lyn. And can understand and relate to this one. It really does change lives and how you view everything in general. Really feel for you on this one.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Onlyme

5 Years Ago

I hear you Lyn. Massive hugs to you and your hubby. Fingers crossed for you and your hubby it's the .. read more
Lyn Anderson

5 Years Ago

Thanks. I appreciate it
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

Your more than welcome Lyn, anytime you need a listening ear or a chat. Drop me a line. Honest...
I just went to a wake for a friend two days ago. Cancer is killing people left and right. I hate it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

5 Years Ago

It is a b***h, as they say, especially when your best case scenario is a chronic incurable auto immu.. read more
((((LYN)))) thought maybe you might need a hug as words are hard to come by after reading your 'work in progress'... it's scary, cancer... but together is the best way to deal with it... really glad you told him how you feel....

Posted 5 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

5 Years Ago

It is scary. Thanks for reading. It really is a waiting game at the moment.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

419 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 12, 2018
Last Updated on July 13, 2018
Tags: cancer, worry, love, need, help

Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


In Your Eye In Your Eye

A Poem by Melissa


California California

A Poem by Donna