Orange in October

Orange in October

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

From: An Owl on the Moon – October…

"











































     Life lets go in rhythm, as dying butterflies of golden and scarlet hues float from the sky, layering the earth in a lifeless robe of restless

 

ruby,

topaz,

auburn.

 

     Gray fragmented smoke and the scent of smoldering leaves strides through the twilight sky. I feel sighs of release as the earthen cloak is set aside.  Beneath the veil lies a solitary stone staircase resting in a meadow.  A cement path ends at the first step and leads anywhere.

     For a brief moment two young brothers appear immobile on this rubble.  Their faces are serene and still.  It is my blood.  My brother untouched and unchanged, alive now in some distant place, full of hope and grace.

 

All sweet with no bitter;

all bright and no pale.

The rough is made smooth;

the dark clouds, a dream.

 

     Orange globes of laughter now line the streets, and the night begins to move in circling streams.  Charcoal smoke now fills the cavity of air, all at once musty, then clear.  Hush winds brush the limbs and cool the leaves, as soft air breathes cinnamon and spice.

     All along the crystal cove the woven masks pace and pause from doorstep to doorstep.  Shadows dance on the crest of the moon, as clouds, like dark bats, shift through the skies.

 

The children in garments of glib disarray;

the parents wear masks that won’t fade away.

Olive and amber, sea and sky;

salt and sand go winding by.

One can sense the cries of hovering birds,

the laughter of children,

and frost-bitten air.

 

     Here on the walkway lie distant dreams of orange in October, with its outer mystery and inner disfigurement.  A shrill cry from a little one pierces the blackness, as the moon is shrouded in a solemn veil.

     “In our bags place a treat.  In our hearts some bittersweet.”

     And I, “Take what you will of these melting dreams; sweet but for a moment.”

     As the little soldiers walk away, I turn and go to my inner room.  Locking the door, I close my eyes...

 


© 2018 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
From: An Owl on the Moon – October…

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

“In our bags place a treat. In our hearts some bittersweet.”
And I, “Take what you will of these melting dreams; sweet but for a moment.”
As the little soldiers walk away, I turn and go to my inner room. Locking the door, I close my eyes...

WOW!!! Such a deepness and darkness in this write, This is so well written and so very descriptive.
You hold a wonderful pen, you can read in between the lines with the way life flows. Awesome job sir.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Your words and images of Halloween flow like a fine wine. You make the reader feel as if he/she is on the walkway or opening the door for the children to reward them with a treat. The sign of a great writer is bringing about a metamorphosis in the reader and you have certainly done so.

I'm getting a message that the site is not secure, so I'll exit. Keep writing. You are extremely talented. :-)

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

I so appreciate your insights here, Tamara. Thank you. May your weekend bring you so much joy. :)
Tamara Beryl Latham

5 Years Ago

You're welcome and thank you for your comment. :-)
Some of us born warrior...willing to die in every moment. Some of us born promised, dying too early. some born in between the dying and the living.....those are the poets. This takes me to a strange avenue...where I stand on the corner watching the masked, begging for treasures at every hand...every door. They know Halloween is for the delight of children, but they care not. Maybe, Ill slip my hands in the hands of those wee brothers and we will walk away humming a less haunting tune. It time for tea and treats in wonderland :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Smiling in your deep music, dear Queen. Wanting you to find that place of sweet songs, with a table .. read more
Love it! Makes me want to read more! Will there be more..? Kinda hooked by your writing :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Thank you, Giullia! Yes... there is more to come... though storms are on the horizon... Enjoy the au.. read more
This had my attention from the very first line and doesn't disappoint all the way through. Seems like a moment lived... your imagery, as usual, is beautifully vivid, Craig. Lovely piece.

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much, dear Yumna. This was filled with the haunting sounds and scents of my childhood.... read more
' Charcoal smoke now fills the cavity of air, all at once musty, then clear. Hush winds brush the limbs and cool the leaves, as soft air breathes cinnamon and spice.. '

For some reason I feel this is more than personal, a place where you once belonged and would return again - aware of the Whatever.

You have that special way of making dreams come to life, of mixing reality and mysticism at the same time, both in such beautiful language, Owl.

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Emma, thank you for coming across the sea to wander these autumn shadows here. And yes, you know wel.. read more
Wonderful story. I like the imaginary!

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

I appreciate your words so much, bela!
Very well written story and poem, Owl on the Moon...say, you've gotta be the wisest owl ever--you can TYPE! LEGIBLY! I am surprised that you have Internet on the moon, though. Must be a heckuva signal!How's it that you can even BREATHE? Oh, sorry. Didn't know it was just a screen name. Forget I said anything, OOTM--if those are your real initials.
ANYHOW...I remember my Gran telling me about Samhain in England when she was a kid. Apparently, in earlier times (no idea how much earlier, but...) there would be a huge bonfire (BONEfire) lit, and a cow would be sacrificed.
Then it was no longer sacrificed, but led between two big fires. sacrificing it symbolically. Don't know if they still do that...Neville? Christine? Other people in here from England? You can help, here!

Posted 5 Years Ago


angel

5 Years Ago

My neighbor is a Wiccan, and on Samhain she dances naked round a fire in her back yard. It id quite .. read more
An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

May she find such joy in the dancing this year... the fire will be here soon!
angel

5 Years Ago

True; I'm thinkin' of sellin' tickets; her back yard is clearly visible from mine.
Gotta go c.. read more
Artwork, amazing and the story in the poetry. Outstanding. You brought me in and kept me to the last words. Mystery is tempting and can be dangerous. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


ominous ... i am terrified as a parent Mr. Owl ;) well done ... creative, original form .. great story telling .. i like the bookends of the stone path ..starting in any direction by my first step ...i think the imagery is breathtaking ..scents, colors and textures all in the experience ...really like the meadow and stairway as my imagination is sparked and your poem welcomes me in ...scary closing ... wondering what your speaker has snuck into those bags ......... >:-/ over all for me real fine sir!
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Ah my friend, it is always good to have you by. Thank you for staying on this journey, and following.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

680 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 5, 2018
Last Updated on October 5, 2018

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..