Orange in October

Orange in October

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

From: An Owl on the Moon – October…

"











































     Life lets go in rhythm, as dying butterflies of golden and scarlet hues float from the sky, layering the earth in a lifeless robe of restless

 

ruby,

topaz,

auburn.

 

     Gray fragmented smoke and the scent of smoldering leaves strides through the twilight sky. I feel sighs of release as the earthen cloak is set aside.  Beneath the veil lies a solitary stone staircase resting in a meadow.  A cement path ends at the first step and leads anywhere.

     For a brief moment two young brothers appear immobile on this rubble.  Their faces are serene and still.  It is my blood.  My brother untouched and unchanged, alive now in some distant place, full of hope and grace.

 

All sweet with no bitter;

all bright and no pale.

The rough is made smooth;

the dark clouds, a dream.

 

     Orange globes of laughter now line the streets, and the night begins to move in circling streams.  Charcoal smoke now fills the cavity of air, all at once musty, then clear.  Hush winds brush the limbs and cool the leaves, as soft air breathes cinnamon and spice.

     All along the crystal cove the woven masks pace and pause from doorstep to doorstep.  Shadows dance on the crest of the moon, as clouds, like dark bats, shift through the skies.

 

The children in garments of glib disarray;

the parents wear masks that won’t fade away.

Olive and amber, sea and sky;

salt and sand go winding by.

One can sense the cries of hovering birds,

the laughter of children,

and frost-bitten air.

 

     Here on the walkway lie distant dreams of orange in October, with its outer mystery and inner disfigurement.  A shrill cry from a little one pierces the blackness, as the moon is shrouded in a solemn veil.

     “In our bags place a treat.  In our hearts some bittersweet.”

     And I, “Take what you will of these melting dreams; sweet but for a moment.”

     As the little soldiers walk away, I turn and go to my inner room.  Locking the door, I close my eyes...

 


© 2018 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
From: An Owl on the Moon – October…

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Locking the door, you close your eyes to remember those Octobers of your wonderful childhood that shaped a brilliant poet, that you are. Year is nearing the end, October starts the celebration. Orange is such a beautiful color, warm, bright and holds hope of future.
Oi querido, como que está você? Adoro sua profile picture. uma abraço grande para você.

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

You understand so well. Yes, October's always held a mystery over me, minha amiga. I can still smell.. read more
Mrudula Rani

5 Years Ago

We are all, sort of adopting back to our life here in Brasil after the trip.
Your wonderful .. read more
I find myself getting SO excited to read your every line. It's like I cannot contain my enthusiasm to get to your closing, and yet, I want the ambience to last, and last. But what an adventure it is that you take me upon, every single time! You really do work some kind of magic, my friend! This is perhaps one of your best for me. October has a very sentimental place in my heart!

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

So grateful for your presence here, Kelly, and thankful that you have been such a dear friend throug.. read more
I am speechless...this is one of the best pieces of writing I’ve ever seen. I could go on and blabber endlessly, but there is no need. Hats off, you make feel like a real amateur.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

We have been friends online for many years, he was good when I met him but he has eclipsed good and .. read more
Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

I agree. He is wonderful, personified!
An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Haha! You two are so awesome. So glad you're both still here turning the world into poetry. :)

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

680 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 5, 2018
Last Updated on October 5, 2018

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Innocence Lost Innocence Lost

A Poem by Pete