SOMEHOW...

SOMEHOW...

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

Somehow, he still believed in dreams ~

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was all over… all except for the papers filed with the county clerk’s office…

 

There had been no affection shared for years. No smiles across the table or toes teasing underneath... only life like an empty glass of wine… one where you remember the sweet fragrance of dark Napa Valley grapes… but now it sits, only a vacant vessel.

 

And though spring had come, it always felt like winter to him.  It was a feeling worse than alone, like a constant cutting when she was in the room… sometimes he couldn’t breathe… At least they didn’t yell anymore… they never actually shared anything... including conversation…

 

He had tried to “fix” things… he truly had… until there was only obligation… some lasting sense of duty… a signed form with faded ink in a drawer… somewhere…

 

And now he sat staring… wondering what might come next… anything to take away the ache… the dull pain that lingered like raindrops on barren, wet limbs… waiting for the freedom to dance down to earth…

 

He just wanted to know what it was like to be alive again… to see color, not just gray… to feel something other than numb…

 

Somehow, he still believed in dreams, even though he no longer had any… somehow…

© 2010 An owl on the moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

When I could not find the words to describe what I have long felt, you found them. And with such ease, it is as if you could read my mind. There is such beauty in the sadness to this piece, and I thank you for sharing it.

I have to agree with Emma about your phrasing here, "the dull pain that lingered like raindrops on barren, wet limbs...waiting for the freedom to dance down to earth..." Breathtaking.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Sad truth here, I suspect .. and very painfully but beautifully expressed. Dreams get you through, dreams carry you on .. dreams are night memories that can be translated into reality by day. I so hope that is the case for you.

'raindrops .. .. waiting for the freedom to dance down to earth… ' very lovely phrasing, Craig.



Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This is great and so different from your usual style, I like it better for that because it means you have dug really deep. Though the story is sad it is very well captured, the images are strong. This is great writing Craig, oh god I used 'great' twice, haha, well i liked it what can I say?

Posted 14 Years Ago


A wonderful write. Filled me with awe.
We have to learn to keep our dreams alive and never lose hope. The lonliness of the man has been well presented. I really feel for him.
Thanks again for a yet another beautiful piece from ur pen.. ;)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Dreams are always with us... sometimes it's the only thing that helps us survive a world we've come to see only in greys, blacks, and whites. I really liked this. It had it's own flow.

Posted 14 Years Ago


very nice, waiting for the freedom to dance down to earth...

Posted 14 Years Ago


Too close to the truth for me. I have been there but other dreams emerge and take us by surprise.This was certailnly true for me

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

touching...the ending specially...seems there is personal agony to it...such a pity things never remain the same...

Posted 14 Years Ago


my friend just signed divorce papers last weekend. He stayed at our house since he has moved to CA. to move on with his life. so I can relate to the tone of this- especially the mixed feelings interwined, sadness and relief, new beginnings and saying goodbye to the past with it's combination of happy and then as the marriage deteriorated, painful memories...... not easy.

Posted 14 Years Ago


'some lasting sense of duty… a signed form with faded ink in a drawer…'

It's beautiful even in its sadness.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4772 Views
59 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 10, 2010
Last Updated on March 12, 2010

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..