FOUR

FOUR

A Chapter by clairvoyantmars

Jason woke up early, planning to do his grocery shopping at an early hour. He went out and unlocked his Ducati from the bike rack. He revved the engine. He felt the breeze run through his hair and down his neck. He loved riding motorcycles. He had a Harley Davidson back home, and he loved it. It was a great advantage too. If he spotted something that looked great for a picture, all he’d have to do was stop and click away. He found a small grocery and locked his bike then went inside.

 

Kate woke up to the sunlight streaming through her bedroom window. She sat up from her bed and saw that her pillow was stained with tears and smudged with her lipstick. She ran to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. She saw that her lipstick was faded and smudged around her lips. Her eyes were swollen and red. Her hair was bedraggled and the tendrils were sticking to her skin. She bent down on the sink and washed off her make-up and wet her hair. The cold water cooled her eyes and washed away her tearstained cheeks. She was still wearing the clothes from yesterday, so she stripped them off and took a cold shower, then went out and wrapped a towel around her.

 

Should I buy a towel? Jason thought as he felt the soft texture of the towel he was holding. Never mind. He thought putting it back. I still have a small one at the motel. He walked through the crowded isles of the grocery store, trying to find items that were cheap enough and would fit one or two bags. He went to the toiletries area. Gel? Nope. Still have a bit. Deodorant? Sure. Cologne? Nah. He skimmed the shelves, passing swiftly through the crowd. He came to the isle filled with food. Noodles, canned goods, oatmeal. He dropped the items into the basket. Fruits, meat, oil, vegetables.

 

Kate was already dressed and she went downstairs to prepare her breakfast. She wasn’t really hungry, and she was craving for something sweet, so she got out some celery and chopped out the stalks. She put the stalks in a bowl and got out the jar of peanut butter. She went to the living room, carrying the bowl, the jar, and a can of coke. So much for a healthy breakfast to start the day. Her parents didn’t like eating celery with peanut butter. Only she and Mike did. Her parents always used to say that they were mutants for eating that kind of stuff. Weird, they said. Kate laughed at the thought.

 

                                      . . .

 

Jason walked out of the grocery store, carrying his two plastic bags. He mounted his bike and put the bags in front of him, putting the bags securely between his legs. He revved the engine and drove to the motel. He locked his bike again, and got the bags.

“Excuse me,” the attendant behind the counter said. “Mr. Chaffe?”

“Yes?” he replied.

“A Mr. Kevin Hardy called.” She said uneasily. “He left a message. He told me to tell you what the hell are you doing here and that you should call him.”

“Thanks.” He said, raising an eyebrow, putting the bags down. “Do you have a pay phone?”

 

Kate heard the phone rang. She stood up, turned off the television, and answered the phone.

“Hello?”

“Kate!” she heard Julie’s voice say. “I really really need your help. I took the day off from work because I’m cooking for the family tonight. I need someone to help me cook ‘cuz Adam’s working and I have tons of work to do.”

“I’m meeting with Jason today.”

“That’s great. I won’t be hiring a babysitter for Jamie, then.”

Kate laughed, imagining Jason taking care of her three-year-old godson. “Sure, Julie. We’ll come over.”

“Thank you! Thank you! And as a reward you can stay for dinner.”

“It’s gonna be rowdy, you know.”

“Who cares?”

Kate laughed. “Okay. I’ll call Jason first, then we’ll go.”

“Thanks. Bye, Kate. See you in a few.”

 

Jason heard a click from the other end of the phone.

“Hello?” a man’s voice said.

“Kev? It’s Jason.”

“Jason! What happened to you? I tried to call all day yesterday.”

“Really?” Jason asked. “The attendant only gave me the message this morning.”

“Stupid services.” He mumbled. “So, what’s happening there in Minneapolis?”

“I met up with Kate, one of my friends here.”

“Oh yeah, the chick who hasn’t contacted you in fourteen years?” he said.

“Kev, this isn’t just some chick.” Jason said, annoyed.

“Right. It’s the chick.”

“Let’s get this straight, she is not a chick. She is a human being.”

“Why don’t you just call her a chick like every other normal guy?”

“I don’t do that.”

“Right. So what happened yesterday?”

“Let’s see where do I start? We had lunch, she brought me to her house, I heard a message on the answering machine from her dead husband, she cried her heart out, we drove her drunken brother home, and we went to our old playground. That’s the summary. Oh, and this morning I went grocery shopping.”

“Man, what have you gotten yourself into?”

“Hey,” Jason scolded. “She called me for help. I couldn’t say no.”

“You’re right.”

Jason felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. “Hey, wait a minute, my phone’s ringing.”

He got it out of his pocket and answered it. “Hello?”

“Hi.” Kate.

“Hey. What’s up?”

“Julie, my friend from work, needs some help in cooking at her house. Do you want to come? She also needs a babysitter. Do you mind?”

“No. It’s okay.”

“Great. Pick you up in a few?” she asked.

“Okay.”

Jason pressed the red button and put his ear to the pay phone.

“That was Kate. I’m gonna baby sit her friend’s baby while she cooks with her friend. I gotta go dress up now.”

“Man, that’s one messed up trip.”

“May be. But I’m kind of enjoying it.”

“You may enjoy it now but as time goes by it’ll get worse.” Kevin said, making the word sound eerie.

“How supportive. Thanks.” Jason said sarcastically.

“I’m joking, Jace.”

“Right.”

“Call me tomorrow, ‘kay? I wanna hear how that babysitting went.”

“Sure, Kev.”

“Don’t forget.”

Bye, Kevin.”

                                      . . .

 

Kate pulled over at the entrance of the motel and Jason went in.

“Who is this Julie, anyway?”

“Oh. She’s one of my best buds at work. She’s one of the chefs there. She and Jack really got along. They both had the addiction to food.”

Jason laughed. “So, how old is this child I’m babysitting?”

Kate chuckled. “Jamie is three-and-a-half.”

“Oooh.” Jason moaned. “It’s a boy, huh?”

“Jamie’s an active little bugger.” She said.

“I hope not too active.”

Kate parked in front of a white house with blue shutters. Julie was pacing on the lawn, her hair in a neat bun.

“Get ready.” Kate warned. “Jamie is as active as his mother.”

Julie ran to the car. “Kate! Kate!”

Kate combed her hair with her fingers, also making it into a loose bun. Tendrils were sticking out but she just brushed them away from her face. They both went out of the car.

“What took you so long?” Julie scolded.

“‘Li, you called me five minutes ago.”

“Exactly!”

Kate rolled her eyes. “Julie, Jason. Jason, Julie.” She said pointing to one and the other.

“Nice to meet you.” Julie said holding out her hand. “Finally.” She mumbled to Kate.

Jason nodded and shook her hand.

“Come on,” Julie said, pulling them both towards the house. “Time’s a wastin’.”

 

“Au’ Kaye! Au’ Kaye!” shouted three-year-old Jamie, running towards her. Jamie was the only one who called her “Au’ Kaye” instead of “Aunt Kate”.

“Jamie!” She said, scooping her up in her arms. “What’s new?”

“Momma’s making me brownies.”

“Is she now?” she said, raising her eyebrow to Julie.

“Another one to add to the list” Julie sighed.

“Who’s he?” Jamie asked, pointing to Jason, who was fidgeting with the strap of his camera.

“This is my friend, Jason.” Kate said. “He’s gonna play with you while your mom and I make your brownies.”

“Jayeesow.” Jamie said, wriggling out of Kate’s arms. “New fwend! New fwend!” he giggled.

“Okay, Jamie.” Julie said, putting her hands on Kate’s shoulders. “Go run and play. Aunt Kate and I will make your brownies.”

Julie dragged Kate to the kitchen.

“Okay, the guests will arrive at exactly six o’clock. So we approximately have… nine hours to prepare the food.”

“What are we preparing?”

“Well we have Jamie’s brownies, some blueberry cheesecake, a casserole, some pasta, and a potato salad.”

“And how many guests are coming?”

“Three.”

“Three?” Kate said, bewildered. “All this food for three guests?”

“Three brothers.”

“Oh, right.” Kate had met Julie’s brothers. Julie was the second to the youngest and with her growing up with three boys would explain her fiery attitude. “What first?”

“Let’s get Jamie’s brownies done over and done with.”

Julie took out the brownie mix and put the ingredients into a bowl and handed it to Kate.

“Here.” Julie said. “Mix this while I prepare the cheesecake.”

Kate took it and started mixing. “Do you think Jason can handle Jamie?”

“If he can handle you I’m sure he can handle Jamie.”

“What if something wrong happens?”

“I’m sure Jamie can handle it.”

Kaye poured the mixture into the baking pan then started licking the spoon.

“You should stop eating all that Chinese food. You’re growing wide.”

“Julie Anne Calhoun!” Kate scolded, smacking her on the arm. “You take that back!”

“Okay, okay.” Julie said, raising her hands in defense. “Sheesh. You’re beginning to sound like my mother.”

“Besides,” Kate said, finishing off the batter. “I have eating disorders.”

“You don’t have eating disorders; you eat when you’re depressed.”

“No, I don’t. I eat when I’m emotionally inclined.”

“That’s one and the same.”

“No it’s not. Mine sounds fancier.”

Julie rolled her eyes. “Excuses, excuses.”

                                      . . .

 

“This is Sooperman.” Jamie said, handing it over to Jason.

“Nice doll, kid.” Jason said nervously.

“”Sooperman not doll. Sooperman action figure.” Jamie said matter-of-factly. He went to the bookshelf and grabbed a book. “Weed, weed!”

“Weed?” Jason asked.

Jamie handed him the book.

“Oh, read.”

 

Kate went down the hallway and hid beside the door.

“I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I am.”

She heard Jason’s voice reading to Jamie. She peeked through the door and saw Jason seated on the beanbag, with Jamie on his lap, holding the book open in front of them. Kate walked down the hallway towards the kitchen. Julie saw her smiling as she entered.

“What are you grinning about?” Julie asked.

“That was going better than expected.”

 

Jamie shifted in his seat and turned to smile at Jason. “You read nice.”

Jason smiled too. “Would you mind if I take your picture?”

“Pitchoo! Pitchoo!” Jamie said as he snuggled closer to Jason.

Jason held out the camera arms length and they both smiled. Jason pressed the button and they both heard a click.

“Pitchoo momma! Pitchoo momma!” Jamie said, getting up and pulling Jason to the kitchen.

“Sure, kid.” Jason said, ruffling Jamie’s messy brown hair.

“Smile momma!” Jamie said as they entered the kitchen.

Julie and Kate leaned closer together and smiled. Jason clicked away.

“Act like we’re not here.” Jason said. “My assistant and I are gone take stolen shots.”

Jason knelt down and whispered in Jamie’s ear. “Why don’t you help your mom and Aunt Kate so I can picture you too.”

Jamie giggled, beaming. “Momma,” he said. “I want to help too.”

“Sure, Jamie.” Julie put her arm around her son and led him to the stove. She let him stand two feet away.” “Okay. Now, you stand here and tell Aunt Kate and me if your brownies are ready.”

Jason took a picture of Jamie: his hands behind his back, his eyes staring intently at the timer.

He took another of Kate washing her hands. Click. Kate cutting the potatoes. Click. Julie preparing the casserole. A close-up of Kate. Click. Click. Kate mixing the potato salad. Click. Jamie jumping up and down when the timer tinged. Click.

He took lots of pictures during their preparation, careful to stay out of the way. They were setting the table when the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it!” Julie shouted.

“No need to shout, ‘Li.” Kate said. “We’re all in the same room.”

Julie laughed.

“Julie!” a man’s voice shouted.

“Adam!” they heard Julie shout.

“How’s my Jewel?”

“Fine.” Julie said. “Kate, Jason, Jamie, and I spent the day cooking.”

“Jason?” Adam said as they entered the kitchen.

“You know, Jason.” She said, elbowing him on the ribs. Then she turned to Jason. “Jason, this is my husband, Adam.”

“Nice to meet you.” Jason said, shaking Adam’s hand, then stepped back and held his camera up. “Smile.”

They leaned closer and smiled. Click.

“I hope we won’t pay you by the hour.” Kate said.

“Where’s Jamie?” Adam asked.

“Boo!” a small voice said. Jamie’s head popped up from behind the kitchen table in the middle of the room.

“Hey, we haven’t eaten Jamie’s brownies yet.” Kate announced, taking them out of the oven. “I made them.”

They all headed to the living room. Adam sat on the cushioned and Julie sat on its arm. Jamie kneeled beside the table, sniffing the brownies, while Kate sat on the sofa. Jason snapped a picture and sat down next to Kate.

There was banging on the door and everyone jumped. “Do we smell brownies?” a voice yelled.



© 2011 clairvoyantmars


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on May 12, 2011
Last Updated on May 12, 2011


Author

clairvoyantmars
clairvoyantmars

Philippines



About
I've been seriously starting to write my own novels since 2008. So far, I've finished three novels and have a lot of unfinished ones piled up. I also write short stories and poems and the occasional s.. more..

Writing
The Past The Past

A Chapter by clairvoyantmars