Twisted Fate Chapter 8

Twisted Fate Chapter 8

A Chapter by easybreezy

I tip back my drink, a scotch on the rocks that was meant to calm my nerves. Instead, it only exacerbates them. In the back of my mind, I realize that this is foolish. My obsession with Rachel has led me to Bellerose, the swanky French restaurant where I frequently dine…well, used to dine. This place is familiar, which I hope is a wise choice for our meeting.

“Une autre, s’il vous plait,” I say as I nudge the empty glass toward the edge of the bar. It’s nine o’clock. Rachel should be arriving any minute now. I hastily grab my drink and down it. I still can’t believe she contacted me. A text at one in the morning is unconventional. I expected her to back out, but fortunately when I called her to confirm, she agreed to meet with me.

“Reservation for Rhodes.”

I spin my barstool around when I hear her voice.

“Mr. Rhodes is at the bar, ma’am.”

Focus, Damien, I tell myself as she comes into view. Waves of auburn hair cascade over her shoulders, resting against her deep purple halter dress. If I required breath, I’d be in serious trouble. She greets me with a fleeting smile, fidgeting as she approaches.

I return a smile as I rise from my barstool. I can’t even feel my feet hit the floor. “Rachel, you look magnificent.”

She glances toward the floor briefly, then flashes another short lived grin. “Thank you.”

“Our table is ready. Shall we?”

The hostess directs us to our table. I politely pull out Rachel’s chair, shuddering as her hair brushes across my arm. I take a seat across from her. “Thank you for agreeing to meet with me.” My god, I sound like I’m conducting a business meeting! “Have you ever been here before?”

“Um, no. I can’t say that I have.”

“Well, I think you’ll enjoy it. They have the best French cuisine in town.”

The waiter arrives, handing both of us menus. “Hello, my name is Pierre and I will be your server this evening. Might I interest you in the Beluga caviar?”

“That sounds wonderful, Pierre. Yes, we’ll start with that.”

“Very well, Monsieur.”

The look on Rachel’s face is priceless. A beautiful blend of bewilderment and naivety as she leans forward and asks, “Beluga? Is that…whale eggs?”

“Beluga sturgeon eggs,” I reply. She leans back and doesn’t appear to find any relief in my answer. “You don’t have to try it if you don’t want to, but I highly recommend that you do. If someone told you what bacon was before you tried it, would you have?”

Rachel shrugs. “I don’t know. Probably. I mean, bacon smells good, so yes. I would have.”

I reach for my napkin and place it in my lap as I say, “There’s nothing appetizing about the smell or the appearance of caviar, so I guess you’ll just have to trust me.”

For the first time, I think I’m looking at a genuine smile. “I didn’t say I wouldn’t try it, did I?”

“No. No you didn’t.”

I watch as Rachel stares blankly at the menu. Her brows furrow and her lips curl. “Do you know what you’re having?”

“I usually get a steak, but the Coq au Vin is a signature dish.”

“That’s chicken, right?”

“Chicken marinated in red wine.”

“I’m sorry. I just can’t read this menu.”

Pierre returns with the caviar and two side plates. “Our special this evening is a ten ounce Waygu filet with white truffle oil, paired with asparagus topped with tarragon cream sauce and bacon mushroom stuffing.”

“I’ll have that. House dressing on the salad, please.  Rachel, do you need more time?”

She sets down her menu and says, “I’ll have the same.”

“Would you like a bottle from our wine cellar?” Pierre asks. “Perhaps a Cabernet Sauvignon?”

Rachel shakes her head, indicating her objection.

“We’ll stick with water. Thank you, Pierre.”

Rachel eyes the bowl of caviar. “There’s not very much in there.”

“You don’t need much.”

“Why? Because it’s so horrible, no human could stand to eat more than a few bites?”

I smirk playfully. “Because if you overindulge, you might find yourself addicted to it.”

Rachel huffs slightly and scoops a spoonful onto her plate. She brings the spoon to her lips, closing her eyes as she tastes the few eggs that remained on the tip. “Mmm! It’s really good! Salty, but good!”

“So, tell me about yourself.”

“Well, I grew up here, in Los Angeles.”

“Do you attend UCLA?”

“I’m a junior, majoring in biological science.”

“Aah, the study of living things and what makes them what they are. That must be very interesting.”

“Interesting, yes. Exciting, not so much. I’ve always been curious about how beings adapt and evolve, but in my quest for enlightenment, I’ve been sheltering myself. I hide in my books and stare into a microscope all day long.”

“You obviously set aside some time for yourself. If not, we wouldn’t have met.”

“The only reason I went to that party was Shannon begged me to go. It’s a good thing I did, or else she might have wound up in a ditch somewhere.”

“And Shannon is doing okay?”

“She’s fine, thanks to you,” she says, proceeding to eat the rest of her caviar.

“I only did what any man would have done.”

Rachel drops her spoon and looks at me with intense eyes. “No. It’s not what any man would have done. Did you know that when a woman is in trouble, she has a better chance of being helped if she yells ‘fire’ rather than ‘help’? People these days are too afraid to intervene.”

“That’s a shame,” I say quietly, knowing she is absolutely right. I wouldn’t have batted an eye at Shannon if Rachel hadn’t darted in her direction. I’m not deserving of her admiration.

“Come to think of it, how did you know she was in trouble?”

“I was looking for someone.” Looking for you.

“And you just happened to stumble upon us?”

“That’s right,” I say coolly. She appears to buy my stilted explanation, but I can’t be sure. I can almost see the wheels turning inside her head. Pierre arrives in the nick of time. He sets the salad plates down and removes the used dinnerware.

“How is everything so far?”

“Wonderful, Pierre.”

“Very well,” Pierre says, then heads to the kitchen.

Rachel removes the napkin from her lap and sets it on the table. “I need to freshen up.” She stands up and I respectfully do the same. She reaches for her clutch purse and says, “I’ll just be a minute.”

“Take your time.”

This is going better than I expected. Contrary to my prior human encounters, I possess the ability to mingle without feeling like a caged animal. Surprisingly, I feel calm and content. That’s unprecedented!

“Hey, Shannon.”

My head turns toward the bar area. I can’t see Rachel, but I can hear her clearly.

“I can’t do this…This isn’t me!...Yes. I know, but I feel like I’m in an alternate universe. Did you know they have a lady who just stands in the bathroom? That’s creepy!”

Part of me feels guilty for eavesdropping, but the insight I might gain is too alluring to ignore.

“Please, don’t do me any more favors! I’m still pissed that you sent him that message!...Yes, he’s very nice. Maybe, too nice.”

My heart drops to the floor. She wasn’t the one who sent the message, it was Shannon. Rachel never intended on seeing me again. If I’m not careful, I might lose her. I can’t let that happen.

“Yeah, I’d better get back. I’ll call you later.”

Rachel reenters the dining room and sits down. She picks at her salad, eating small bites.

“Is everything alright?”

“Everything’s fine,” she replies between bites.

I lean in and say, “I sense that you’re uncomfortable.”

“No. This place is great.”

“Maybe next time, you should choose where we go.”

“How about the Pizza Shack on Sunset?”

“If that’s where you want to go, I’m in.”

Rachel laughs out loud, her blue eyes dancing. “I wouldn’t set foot in that dump!”

The main course arrives and it looks exquisite. “Bon appétit!”

We enjoy our meal in silence. With each tender morsel that I consume, I realize that I am closer and closer to the possibility of never seeing Rachel again. My stomach is in knots.

“Thank you. That was delightful.”

“As was your company. Shall I walk you to your car?”

“No,” Rachel says rather abruptly. “You don’t have to do that.”

“I meant what I said about you choosing the next…” I struggle to find the right word to use.

“The next date?” she says, raising an eyebrow. “I might have something in mind.”

“I’ll call you. Be safe, Rachel.”

“I will. You, too.”

As Rachel leaves, my body becomes rigid. I glance around the room. All I can focus on are the dozens of heartbeats pounding like kettledrums. Maybe, this wasn’t such a good idea. I need to get out of here…fast!



© 2013 easybreezy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really can't tell you how much I love this book! I have to agree with some of these other reviews - Caleb is by far my favourite character. Just the way you write is so incredible - the plot, the characters, everything. Sorry for gushing :P

I'm eagerly awaiting the next chapter!

- Your friend, Annabelle

Posted 11 Years Ago


easybreezy

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm about halfway through the next chapter. It should be posted shortly. I'm trying to fl.. read more
Annabelle-adonna

11 Years Ago

Can't wait!!! :)
Really enjoyed reading this so far! Great job with the character personalities. I have a bit of a soft spot for Caleb. Interesting how Damien is in complete control (besides the usual first date jitters) around Rachel. Or maybe it is because he is so distracted by her he doesn't have the energy to focus on anything else, haha.

Posted 11 Years Ago


easybreezy

11 Years Ago

Yeah, I like Caleb too. (Maybe even a little more than Damien) It's fun to write his character. Cale.. read more
Could it be because he is content around her, or could it be something else entirely? I don't know...I guess we'll have to wait to find out! LOL

Posted 11 Years Ago


Excellent as always. It's interesting how much more human Damien is around Rachel. He has no trouble controlling himself all though dinner, but the instant she left, bam!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

413 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 14, 2013
Last Updated on April 24, 2013
Tags: vampire, romance, 1st person


Author

easybreezy
easybreezy

OH



About
I am an amateur writer. I find it hard to find time to write, but I will try to post more chapters as often as I can. I welcome all comments and criticism. more..

Writing