An Ode To A River

An Ode To A River

A Poem by Ethan

Grant me your wisdom, O river lady.

I wish to be a flowing stream.

For nothing lives longer than things like she.

A dying brook has not been seen.

So how does one become like you,

A celestial nymph, creature of light?

Through darkness and gloom, a being of blue,

Subtly sparkling in the night?

“My dear man, give your wish more thought”,

The goddess whispered to me.

“Rivers are many things, but happy they are not.

We live endless cycles of tears, longing to be free.”

© 2017 Ethan


Author's Note

Ethan
Reviews would be greatly appreciated :) Also, in case there's any confusion, cycle of tears refers to the water cycle.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yes I got the water cycle. My only tiny problem with it is that this is a natural process that brings life and health to all of us, one way or another. Isn't this a laudable achievement? Wouldn't a river with a heart and soul like your goddess see this as a job well done and satisfyingly worthwhile? So I like the whole thing. I like giving personality to the river and streams. But I just can't equate unhappiness with the water cycle.

Regards
Nigel

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Yes, in the broad sense, rivers and water are good things. Hence the line "Rivers are many things". .. read more



Reviews

Wow! This is one of the most beautiful odes I've read this far 😊
As curious human, we often wish to have the depth of patience, understanding and superficial beauty like that if a river, but we almost can never know how painful it is to be a river...Maybe because we are human and that's a river.

I loved the ending stanza of your poem, that's the most special thing which makes it a wonderful read for me😊

"My dear man, give your wish more thought”,
The goddess whispered to me.
“Rivers are many things, but happy they are not.
We live endless cycles of tears, longing to be free.”

Thankyou or sharing it here:)


-Saumya





Posted 6 Years Ago


Beautiful but saddening. I know when I look at a river I can't help but feel the same way as anyone else would I suppose. Who wouldn't want to be an admired flowing stream? But we don't realize the eternity of crying the same tears over and over again.This poem flowed so well just as a river would.Your different view of a stream is one to truly think about. Very nice job, I loved it!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ethan

6 Years Ago

Thank you :P
Hi, my first visit to your work !
I wish we all can get the wisdom.
I loved your work and the thought behind those last four verses. Would love to read more of your work.
Thank you for sharing

Posted 6 Years Ago


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
I like the concept of this, but couldn't quite follow at certain moments. For example: "....things like she" (in line 3), is the poetic "I" speaking to this river lady by this time or what? It feels like it was only thus phrased for the sake of rhyming (which in poetry is considered a faux pas). Line 4 - "a dying brook" - seems a little contradictory to "nothing lives longer" in line 3, which adds to the confusion. Each line has power and profundity worthy of poetic praise, but they don't seem to paint the same picture. There are ways to incorporate such lines and still maintain the same integrity they bear: simply expand on those ideas. Feed the power like you would feed laughter after a good set up for a joke. Keep it going until that power has been exhausted until stale so we can really wallow in the poetry that it's creating. It's not particularly necessary to spell everything out (going cryptic and profound is good and fun for both the reader and writer), simply tweak it so we understand what lines are referring to which entity...etc. Lastly, this is just something to think about, it doesn't necessarily need to be dealt with in the same fashion: the last two lines extend the metre a bit too much, but seeing as they are somewhat of the same length, it's not too bad - like a break in the metre for the finish. Pretty good. But play with those lines in the consistency of the metre and decide which sound better (and which have more power). This has potential. Good start!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

emipoemi

6 Years Ago

nope....for that's not as clear, given you don't quite specify that the stream is female, so the she.. read more
Ethan

6 Years Ago

Ah I see thank you
emipoemi

6 Years Ago

my pleasure. Always happy to help.
Yes I got the water cycle. My only tiny problem with it is that this is a natural process that brings life and health to all of us, one way or another. Isn't this a laudable achievement? Wouldn't a river with a heart and soul like your goddess see this as a job well done and satisfyingly worthwhile? So I like the whole thing. I like giving personality to the river and streams. But I just can't equate unhappiness with the water cycle.

Regards
Nigel

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Yes, in the broad sense, rivers and water are good things. Hence the line "Rivers are many things". .. read more
I listen to the river's sound it's enchanting voice leads me to a place called home. If I should never hear it's sound I'd be lost in the language of words.

Beautiful!

Regards,
Al

Posted 6 Years Ago


wow, if we were to become a stream a brook, running water...we would be never ending...i wonder if that would be better or worse...knowing how ephemeral life is, we may be better off enjoying each day to the fullest, knowing it will end...we don't take life for granted that way.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Yes indeed. If only the answer were easy
Love your style I'll. return to read again some more

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ethan

6 Years Ago

Thank you!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
CMC
This is a powerful poem. What I like most is how the River Lady is so considerate of the person wishing and how she does not want them to have her burden. Well-penned.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ethan

6 Years Ago

Thanks Chris :)
CMC

6 Years Ago

You are welcome :)
This is beautiful. I adore nature and this view of a river only made me love it more. So much emotion is put into the river/"goddess"' heart and it brings out much sympathy in me for nature. Definitely shows nature's point of view with misery. I would definitely enjoy reading more like this. Thank you for sharing, Ethan. (:

Posted 6 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Ethan

6 Years Ago

Thanks ❤️ 🙂

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

697 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 6, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: poetry, ode, rhyme

Author

Ethan
Ethan

TX



About
I try to get to read requests, but if you really need help just dm me. more..

Writing
Ascent Ascent

A Poem by Ethan


Runnings Runnings

A Poem by Ethan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Lover's Gaze A Lover's Gaze

A Poem by Ethan


Darling Fair Darling Fair

A Poem by Ethan