Blind Faith's Cant

Blind Faith's Cant

A Poem by Frieda P
"

one of questioning & hypocrisy

"
The rain pelted down in dark metallic umber
casting images of cloudy subjugation
blinding sunspots, misled images placation
peace offering to the gods fell on deaf ears
sightless rituals working within  part time beliefs
take a bath in holy water to be renewed
baptism cleansing protocol for illusion's sins
promises blank contracts to start afresh in virgin white
kneeling in blood soaked with wine, washes away the stains
call out his name in frenzied chants,
oh 'my God, why have you forsaken me'
say Amen to be healed whilst nailed to the cross
may tomorrow bring brillance to question again
religious experiences caste in stone upon a hill
raging torrents cascaded upon the boats afloat
      up hypocrisy' s creek without a  blessed paddle
streaming mountains of dissolution within blind faith














© 2013 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P
Yesterday was my sister's anniversary, it brought me to a dark & pensive place, this was the result.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

When my son died, a part of me died with him. I remember being told that I would resent when some well-wisher told me "I know how you feel"...but I didn't. I knew that they were just trying to tell me that they sorrowed along with me. I did resent being told that I ought to go get mental health counseling...what they really meant was that I ought to get drugs to drown my sorrow, and I couldn't do that.
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't ache for my boy, who was only 35 years old, and who left a wife and two kids who loved him....
I know that dark and pensive place, my friend...I know it too well. I won't say "I know how you feel", because those are empty words that don't really mean much. I will say that you are loved...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Achingly sad story Angel, not sure how you keep the faith after all that....and thank you so much my.. read more
Angel

10 Years Ago

Darling, it is only my faith that holds me together.



Reviews

This is a soapbox topic for me.. hypocrisy and religion.. I will just say that I understand and support you in this. I trip over my soapboxes these days instead of stand on them. You did a wonderful job with this poem.. not an ounce of soap spilled.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Ahh there was soap I'm sure, and heaps of tears too, thanks so much Lori!
Yes, I can perceive your somber mood. The grief and bitterness are overt stabs at an arrogant established order. You shine a bright light on the maddening contradictions and delusions and inconsistencies of hypocrisy and traditional rigid religion. I think faith is a beautiful thing, but what I have faith in is the magic and potential of life, which may, I admit gladly, be gifts from a higher power. Religion should be more relaxed, more joyful, more inclusive. I have some pretty strong opinions about hypocrites, polarization and rigid compartmentalization. I've worn out a couple of soapboxes over the years. Your words here indict the ones going through the motions and becoming blind to the consequences. I wish we could cure that; I wonder if we could live lives without conflict and violence. Maybe that is something the human animal is incapable of.
Great poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Always love reading your thoughts minichinz, thanks so much for your kind review.
all i can do is nod silently, and let you know that I was here and read and understood

much love

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your kindness Emily...muchly appreciated.
Faith in anyone or anything can't be taken forgranted or ordered like a meal. Nor will it ever drop into your lap unless the invitation or request 's given or welcome. In everything we suffer, we're alone at the moment, at the hour, at the time.. all surrounding arms and words can't truly compensate.. i know that - you know i do. But we find our own kind of faith or belief in something, even in self's perseverance, in our own time, at varying strengths from day to day. Certain dates are darts in the heart and, my God how they hurt and they always will because - love is inevitably involved. Dear Frieda.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

'Darts in the heart' so aptly said my dear petulio...thanks for your lovely words and friendship...
I am faithless................

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I wish I knew what I was, colored me confuzzeled....thanks Mark.
Biggest detractor to Christianity? Christians. Sigh. If we did what we were supposed to do - we would be the salt light and real help we need to be - but we put out all kinds of man made dead rituals and punish each other for not living up to things that were never God's expectation for us. And I absolutely get the questioning, the ending up in a dark place - hell is hell no matter how you slice it. Purge on, Frieda. You have every right to write. It is your catharsis - your peace. This was an amazing poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Ha exactly T...those people that stand on the church steps after Mass to beat down anything or anyon.. read more
A nostalgic poem with thought provoking questions...Life has many poignant agonies. A heartrending read Frieda...I can see how your sisters anniversary inspired this poem...hugss


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your understanding review sweet Rose, muchly appreciated. x
up hypocrisy's creek...Great line to end an even greater poem.....You may not get this..my wi fi is terr

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I got it David, thanks so much...
:hugs: It never gets easier no matter what people say or how time flies... I truly doubt it does.. but you're a fighter and a lover and a wonder and this poem sure brings out that dark questioning side of you and i respect and love this side because it's stands for something, something you believe in at the moment even if it's thoughts are directed from a place of hurt. I agree with everything you say as well but I think we have been fooled by playing the game of fools and religion is the ace. But without it I think humanity would be in even deeper s**t than it is...people need to believe in something or they crumble. Nothing can take away from the genius of this poem though, great write and really well penned. You never lose touch with your ability to form and fit words so smoothly no matter the context.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

'Deeper s**t', is that even possible Kee? Thanks for your thoughts here, always a pleasure reading .. read more
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Okay when did you change your name and avatar Kee? You trying to confuzzle me my friend?
I think this line says it all, "sightless rituals working within part time beliefs". There's nothing worse than someone that pretends to believe something and tries to convince you they do, or someone who pretends to be something they are not. Their words pour out of their mouths like foul breath that you should stay up wind from, lest you fall prey to their poison. Great topic Frieda, good job. "Up Hypocrisy's creek" love it.

P.S. " illuion's sins"

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Exactly Astro, thanks for the pick up...you always spot them.
Astro

10 Years Ago

I just throw them in the air, you my dear hit'em out of the park. ;)
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Awh, I just cut a bigger check! ;-)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

879 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on August 11, 2013
Last Updated on August 11, 2013

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Be An Egg Be An Egg

A Poem by s y e