The farm

The farm

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of my book 'An African sunset.

"

The farm

They were riding through a maze of tall elephant grass, which covered the plain before them. The poor visibility did not slow their speed; the town was left well behind them.

Several creeks cut the road at small and equal distancees almost, creating a chain of camel backs, at which Everon was now rushing to assault at the highest speed he could gather; they were flying from peak to peak, with the car's four wheels in the air.                 

'God, do I love this stretch of road,' Everon smiled to him mischievously.

Shatz was not fond of Everon's whims, he did not take it for a joy-ride; but in a couple of minutes it ended up and they were out in the open plain, riding on a straight and level asphalt road. He straightened up in his seat relieved, releasing a bit the tensed muscles of his young body.

Vast cultivated patches of land extended before their eyes, on both sides of the road. The farm's houses were growing bigger quite fast, from tiny blurred quadrangulars into a clear line and form.      

'That's Da-Silva's work under our supervision and instruction, anyway he is got a lot to learn yet, and that's going to be your job.' Everon said glancing sidewise at Shatz. 'Last year's harvast wasn't bad at all.' He remarked after a short pause, slowing the car's speed on purpose to let Shatz have a better look at the farm’s fields.

'This season's schedule has been strictly kept, everything almost has been taken care of; and that's quite an achievement. But do me a favor just have a look at these two morons!' He exclaimed suddenly as if he was surprised himself. 'Didn't I tell you that they’ll jump out of their skins, they’re waiting for us in front of their house.'      

Looking up Shatz could see two figures standing at the end of the path leading to a small cottage, Hilla and Moshe Priel without any doubt, just as Everon said and has predicted.                    

Everon was accelerating again crossing the farm’s gate, cutting the short distance left between them and the Priels’ very quickly;  and breaking the car right in front of the pair, as if he intended to bump the two of them off.

To Shatz's astonishment the Priels’ didn't budge, but kept their stand with no change of expression. They must have been used to Everon's little pranks, he concluded.

'Pick up their mail, will you?' Everon ordered him as he was leaving the car.

Turning back in his seat Shatz collected with care every envelope and paper that had been dispersed there on the rear seat.  He left Everon's parcel of newspapers intact, checked the car's rear interior with a quick look, and with some effort managed to leave the car with the Priels’ precious load in his hands.          

A sweet smile lighted up Hilla's pretty face as Shatz got off and faced her.

'What's the matter with you all, are you sun struck or what?' Everon called out angrily. 'Let's get inside.' He ordered them and went straight towards the entrance with the obedient Priel rushing in his wake. Hilla kept waiting for Shatz in front of the car.        

'Thanks how nice of you.' She said still smiling at Shatz, as he approached her she picked a few envelopes of his loaded hands.

'Oh it’s Aberaham you should thank not me, he saw to it.' Shatz muttered with growing embarrassment, and bent down to her legs to pick up two fallen envelopes; watching with wonder her little toes, her ankles and her calves so beautifullly shaped.

'You do visit Mouaka, I mean the embassy and our delegation members from time to time, say once a fortnight at least, or are there some other limits concerning this place?' He asked her in haste as he raised up to face her, flushed with excitement.

'For a free sparrow like yourself there're no limits I suppose. You may spend your evenings in town whenever you wish to.' She answered laughing. 'We used to ride over there once a week, on weekends, on our way to the club. But right now we're pretty busy packing. We’re getting ready to return home.' She added. 'Come we'd better get inside.' She urged the dumbfounded Shatz and turned towards the cottage.     

There were no anterooms or corridors beyond the entrance, once they crossed the threshold they were in the dinning room. Moshe and Everon were huddled together at the far side of the huge table that occupied the dinning room's center.        

'Hilla, come here please, have a look at this.' Her husband called out excitedly, as soon as she and Shatz entered.

Everon extended his left arm to her as she approached him, exhibiting his new watch.               

'It's quite an unusual watch yeah, it’s a beauty, do enjoy it.' She remarked rather dryly with a forced smile. 'Won't you sit down please? Lunch is ready and we've been on our feet long enough. Moshe,' She turned to her husband. 'Ask Pascal to bring the kids in, will you?'

Priel disappeared right away through a side door that led into their court without the slightest hesitation, and without any objections.

'Well what will you have? You must be thirsty. Abraham, what you have the same usual one?'

'That's right, and the same will do for our young agronomist here, he is at the last stages of his acclimatizing phase. He is doing well enough I'd say.' Everon added with emphasize.                                

On her way to the bar she turned her head back and asked Everon smiling.

'Has he behaved well during the ride?'                                                       

'He was deeply impressed I must admit,' Everon answered her. 'Anyhow, we must pay attention to his reactions because he must be on the verge of a volcanic eruption…' He added, and both of them burst into a long cheerful laugh.                     

Against his own will Shatz joined in with them, laughing a bit embarrassed at first and then releaved and entirely free, as if it was not him they were laughing at.

The faint pains down at his groin stopped bothering him sometime ago, or he simply got used to it. He did not wish to be reminded of it though, nor did he wish to be constantly Everon's laughing stock. He had enough of it already. The fact Everon did predict so accurately the Priels’ warm welcome and Hilla's fast change of demeanor, from that cool and aloft attitude to that frivolous air, deepened his frustration.

From the little Everon has told him he took her for an indulgent and sensitive creature easy to get hurt, but that woman was a wild cat who could make good use of her sharp claws, when her charms did not suffice to get what she wanted. Everon's conclusions on the other hand, were superficial or purposefully directed at a certain aim. It’s meaning Shatz did not grasp yet.

In any case that woman has many more hidden sides to her enigmatic personality; he thought, averting his eyes from her slim figure with some difficulty. But as soon as Everon drew a paper out of the Priels’ parcel and buried himself behind its open pages, Shatz turned his eyes to Hilla's back watching her movements. She was pouring their drinks still; turning round she caught his steady gaze time and again.  She kept ignoring his adoring eyes, and crossing the short distance she served their drinks and sat between the two of them, busying herself with her letters while sipping mineral water.

A light summer dress covered her lithe limbs and not a trace of makeup could be noticed on her lovely face. She looked exquisitely beautiful to Shatz after that ride, and that’s what she is he kept musing dumbfounded.  

Everon left the paper for a short toast, raising his glass in the air, he emptied it with a quick gulp and turned back to the news from home. Hilla did not raise her eyes from her letters; Shatz's adoring glances did not bother her.                      

She must be used to hot burning glances. Shatz thought taken abacks somewhat by her show of indifference.

No wonder that farm manager whatever his name is, circles their house just like Joshua did, when he lead the children of Israel to circle the walls of Jericho. Well, it’s going to be quite a trial that pastoral weekend. I'd rather return to Mouaka right after lunch, and spend that weekend at the hotel " cool myself in its swimming pool. That's what he was thinking at that moment. Hilla's presence must have enhanced his feeling of loneliness, and stressed the critical peak to which he has reached, making him such an easy prey to her enchanting beauty.

With quite an effort he picked an open paper, which Everon has left on the table, trying hard to concentrate and read it, and thus drive away his wild hallucinations.

'Reuven, you haven't even touched you drink yet.' He heard Hilla's melodious voice reproaching him, interrupting his thoughts. Without a word he dropped the paper on his knees and raised the full glass to his lips, watching her while emptying it slowly " realizing how thirsty he is.

'Would you like another one?' She asked smiling.

'Yes please,' Shatz answered her enjoying every bit of attention she endowed him with.                                                   

'What about me?' Everon called out feigning anger, raising his face above his paper.

'Okay, Okay I'm bringing the whole lot, away with the papers.' She called back laughing. 

© Haim Kadman 1989 " all rights reserved.                              

© 2013 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
Added on January 1, 2013
Last Updated on January 1, 2013
Tags: africaa, mission, delegation, farm, agriculture, season, rain, crop

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman