Waking up

Waking up

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

An excerpt of my next novel 'Summer tempest'.

"

Waking up " 'Summer tempest' " an excerpt

The business jet of her late husband, the Golfstream VI that he was so fond of, was flying in the darkness of a mass of clouds. Lightenings lighted from time to time the sombre plane's interior blinding her, frightening her time and again. The door to the pilot's cabin was wide open, she could see Jack Schlezinger's broad back bent over the copilot in his seat. In what circumstances this flight took place was not clear to her, nor where they were bound for.

While she was still probing her brain the clouds dispersed suddenly and the line of New York City lighted up sky scrapers could be seen from the oblong little windows on both the interior plane's sides. They were flying above Fifth Avenue very low, and they were losing height rapidly, it seemed as if they were going to crash any moment on top of the vehicles that moved below them,...

Erella was terrified, her mouth opened up but the scream that was about leave her throat freezed, strangled her. At that very instant Jack turned around to face her, but it was not Jack but late her husband Mike…!

Erella woke up covered with cold sweat, pushing the warm blanket away from her torso with both her hands.

What a horrible dream, what a nightmare… Good God I almost lost my sanity! She thought terribly frightened. Calm down, calm down it's just a dream, a horrible dream but nothing than a dream. She scolded herself and raised her upper body to a sitting position in the middle of her wide bed. What iime is it? Nine forty five!  'Why didn't she wake me up the fool that she is?' She mumbled angrily and left her bed and the bed's linen soaked with her perspiration, and went to the bathroom.

While she was sprawled in the bath full of warm water with shut eyes, Erella tried to recapture the nightmare in her memory, after a few moments of repression. What was it why have I dreamed it, and why Mike appeared in it all of a sudden? She kept pondering frustrated.

Soft knocks on the bathroom door were heard.

'You may come in Evelyn.' Erella raised her voice and the door was immediately opened up and her house maid entered carrying a platter with a steamy cup of coffee with a few drops of rum, Erella's traditionally first coffee cup of the morning.

'Why did you let me sleep up to that late hour, why didn't you wake me up?' Erella asked pulling her torso and arms out of the water.

'I've tried several times Mrs., but you were sound asleep…'

Erella took the cup off the lowered platter and raised it to her lips, she believed her loyal house maid; and there was no need to keep going into that trivial matter.

'I'm not having breakfast just a alice of toast and another cup.' She instructed her house maid and sent her back to the kitchen.

So from where has this horrible dream popped up? She kept scanning her brain while drinking her coffee. I must have been in some kind of tension without being aware to it. Oh yes it's this terrible disaster the twin towers, which was embedded in my conscious, no wonder; and I haven't the slightest idea yet who's Jack Schlezinger. The meeting with Schlezinger might have been the catalyst that freed the tension accumulated in me… Yes that must be the reason. She kept thinking in Hebrew. So what am I supposed to do? I need another reliable person to consult with, Bernard can't help me he detests Schlezinger. He's a liberal and all that, but he can't overcome his jealousy towards Schlezinger's meteoric success. She put the empty cup on the bathtub edge and rose slowly from the bath warm water. She covered her nakedness with a white gawn and left the bathroom pondering still, while crossing her living room her eyes fell on her mobile on top of her makeup table, beneath her mirror.

© Haim Kadman 2007 " all rights reserved.

© 2013 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
Added on April 22, 2013
Last Updated on April 22, 2013
Tags: fkight, plane, jet, thoughts, brooding, probing, conclusion

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman