Doubtful thoughts

Doubtful thoughts

A Story by Haim Kadman
"

On Both Sides of the Abyss, an excerpt.

"

'We haven't had even one full week together and I've to fly away from you again Kennie darling.' Nour complained on Thursday morning just before going to the cab, which awaited them in front of the house entrance.

She wished so much to hear him say a few words, which might insinuate some hope of a mutual future at the end of that saga, in which she must take part.

'Yes darling it was too short this time, but when you'll return we'll take a long break, before your next mission.'

That's all he has to say? She wondered sitting beside him on the cab's rear seat, on their way to the airport. I'm no more than a tool with which he promotes his career. If Abdul Karim won't change his mind and won't stop sending me back to Ankara, I'll give Ken his last chance…Well I can't know how things will turn out, I'd better wait and see, and not rush into hasty decisions. She thought while getting off after having taken leave of her Kennie.

Ken did not change her itinerary; she flew to Larnaca and boarded another plane after some two hours, and landed at the Damascus international airport at eleven forty five. But instead of finding transportation to Borsa she stayed at the airport, and passed her time at the airport's restaurant waiting for Abdul Karim to come. She was sure that he was already informed on her landing in Larnaca, and he will come to look for her at Damascus airport, thus she ordered just a glass of grapefruit juice and waited patiently. About fifteen minutes after she entered the restaurant and some thirty five minutes after she landed, Abdul Karim entered the restaurant smiling. He sat down opposite her and summoned a waiter that rushed immediately to their table. He ordered a main dish plus a bottle of mineral water and coffee for both of them. It was too early and he had to have lunch with the minister of interior at two thirty. Right after the end of the light meal he took her in his car to the hideout apartment in the Christian sector, where he kept her during her Palmira inspection.

'I haven't got much time left but I'll tell you in short what our plan is. I've sent a young woman that will inspect the site and stay at the hotel there under your name. You'll have the reports and the invoices of your supposedly stay at the Cham Palace hotel in Borsa, while you'll pass your time here with me; and when I'll be back with you at the evening, we'll discuss our plans in the coming days but now I must leave you.' He said and left right away.

She was left with books, a TV set and a radio. But the fridge in the kitchen was full of food and soft drinks beside her favorite pineapple juice. As she was still hungry she went to the kitchen and prepared something to eat. She passed her time till Abdul Karim's return reading, watching TV, and dozing on the sofa opposite the TV screen.

When Abdul Karim returned he hugged her and kissed her lips to her surprise. It's a drastic change… He's committed himself and he cares for me she thought encouraged, he doesn't treat me as some blind tool that he'll cast away when everything will be over.

'I've ordered a take away dinner from the nearest restaurant and we'll have dinner together in here, and I'll stay with you. I'll do my best to stay every night with you Amina, except Friday night, you understand why no doubt.'

'Yes I do understand why Abdul, but what will I tell them when I'll return?'

It's quite early to discuss it, but in general term you'll tell at this stage that you passed the last night before returning with me in Damascus, and I've told you that I had an

 

important meeting with the minister of interior, but I didn't tell you any details about it.'

'Is that all I'm supposed to tell them, it's nothing…'

'It's enough Amina to make them believe you're going to be their gold mine, and I can assure you that they'll congratulate themselves for their good fortune, as they didn't expect you to get in touch so soon with me or with any other prominent figure in our country.'

'And then what? I mean after I'll be sent again?'

'Wait a moment Amina don't rush things, do you know what's your next mission, has you told you what site you're supposed to inspect after Borsa?'

'Yes there'll be just one site left and it's Damascus old city except the forty abandoned villages, which we might skip.'

'Really, it may take you several months to inspect Damascus.' He remarked thoughtfully, but there was a knock on the door and he went over to open it.

It was his driver with the take away dinner.

He took the bags, thanked his driver, sent him off and shut the door.

'I've almost forgotten all about it.' He remarked laughing. 'But let's eat before the food will get cold.' He added and gave her the bags, expecting her to set the table.

'They won't pull you back from Damascus till you'll end up your inspections I believe.' He said in mid meal. 'They didn't pull you back from Palmira or Tartus… Did he say anything about that next mission of yours?'

'No he usually briefs me a day or two before he sends me. But I'll have to phone my contact man in UNESCO's center from Borsa Abdul.'

'Alright I'll fly you there tomorrow morning, you'll stay at Sham Hotel but you'll visit the site like a tourist with a special guide; and I'll try to visit you twice a week at least, and that young woman that I've sent there will prepare your reports.' He made a short pause and turned his attention for a second to his plate, and then as if he recalled and was afraid he'll forget it, he said:

'They'll have to equip you with some device of communication if they'll order you to stay in Damascus up to the end of your inspections I guess.'

'Why shouldn't you equip me with such a device?'

'It will be a silly mistake for if you'll be caught with it in Ankara it will be your end… While if they'll equip you we'll let you operate it freely and you'll send them the messages that we'll dictate to you, do you see? Okay don't tidy up anything now let's go to bed, and you'll take care of it later.'

© Haim Kadman 2013 �" all rights reserved.

© 2013 Haim Kadman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

340 Views
Added on December 31, 2013
Last Updated on December 31, 2013
Tags: intelligence, suspens, suspicion, emergency, love

Author

Haim Kadman
Haim Kadman

Petach-Tikva, Israel



About
Profile: A few words about myself: being a native of a small country whose waist is seventeen kilometers wide in a certain area; and in seven to eight hours drive one can cross its length, I was amaze.. more..

Writing
Moscow Moscow

A Story by Haim Kadman


Back home Back home

A Story by Haim Kadman