How to Enjoy Tokyo for Free

How to Enjoy Tokyo for Free

A Story by jaslyncea
"

The beauty of Tokyo is timeless and endless; and a visit is worth it – even when doing it on a budget.

"

Tokyo is known to be one of the most expensive cities in the world. However, this does not stop people from booking those flights to Tokyo as coming to this impressive place constitutes endless opportunities for fun and total excitement. Furthermore, being tagged as one of the most expensive cities does not necessarily mean everything there is expensive indeed. Tokyo may be enjoyed for free. Listed below are some suggestions on how to do that:


1. Visit the parks

Balancing the environment of Tokyo are its well-manicured parks. Under the shades of big trees, people can take a stroll together, do picnics, do some cardio, or ride the bicycle to breathe fresh air in the middle of a busy metropolitan. It is a good place to escape to, especially when life takes its tolls. Recommended are the Yoyogi Park near Harajuku, and Ueno Garden near Ginza.


2. Enter the galleries

In Tokyo, there are lots of art galleries which do not charge admission fees. Most are opened by artists who just wish to show their artworks to others. It is not just a good way to relax, but also an ideal way to see the aesthetic side of the Japanese culture. The 3331 Arts Chiyoda and Taro Nasu Gallery are good options. Most are in Ginza and Harajuku areas.


3. Go to Akihabara

One of the places to look forward to in Tokyo is the Akihabara District. It is a district where people can find the latest gadgets and technologies; but recently, it has been renowned for the manga industry. Anime characters and cosplayers are often seen strutting down the streets in colorful costumes. Taking pictures with them is possible!


4. Watch the people at Shibuya

This is seemingly a boring activity, but it is actually fun! Seeing the large throngs of people cross the streets of Shibuya while munching on some burgers and sipping some soda is a good relaxing activity. It makes one feel slowed down while the whole world is busy pacing fast.


5.  Watch the festivals


As most Japanese events are held on the streets, tourists are given the opportunity to attend it for free. It is fun to take part on these activities as it exposes foreigners to a better culture in Tokyo. It is best to schedule a trip to Tokyo in time with these festivals.


6. Visit Senso-ji

One of the most important Buddhist temples in Tokyo is the Senso-ji in Asakusa. It is the oldest temple in Tokyo and is renowned for its significant role in the history of Japan. It is the center of Sanja Matsuri, the largest and most popular Shinto festival in the country. Within its grounds are different souvenir shops of Nakamise-dori.


7. Get around Harajuku

Harajuku is a shopping district; and shopping means expenses. But Harajuku isn’t just for shopping. It is also for sightseeing and people watching. Various kinds of people can be spotted there, representing the diverse cultures of Tokyo. Plus, the designs of the buildings in the district are worth anticipating.


8. Do origami


At the Origami Kaikan, one can learn the origami for free. Artisans teach people the art of paper folding to share this beautiful part of Japan’s heritage.


9. Visit the showrooms

Tokyo is known to be the hub of advanced technology; and people can experience the gadgets of the future first hand by visiting the showrooms of top companies like Sony, Panasonic and Toyota in the Ginza and Odaiba areas.


10. See the skyline

A trip to Tokyo will never be complete without seeing the city skyline. Thus, a trip to the observation deck of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building is recommended!


The beauty of Tokyo is timeless and endless; and a visit is worth it " even when doing it on a budget. It is such a nice experience. For people who do not have time to plan itineraries though, availing a tour package to Tokyo is advisable.

© 2013 jaslyncea


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

481 Views
Added on June 12, 2013
Last Updated on June 12, 2013
Tags: Tokyo travel, Tokyo travel guide, Tokyo travel tips

Author

jaslyncea
jaslyncea

Singapore, Singapore



About
Jaslyn Lim is a Bachelor's Degree Holder of Business and Commerce in a university in Singapore. She loves blogging, social networking, and traveling. On of her blog, Top 10 Travel list, is focused on .. more..

Writing