Why Should I Care?

Why Should I Care?

A Poem by Kathy Van Kurin
"

Just as this home made fire pit is cracked from repeated cold and heat but still holds heat and welcoming light of it's blazing fire we hold our own precious lives within; our own living soul's fire.

"

 


Why should I care?

 

Why 


should 


I care?


But I do.

 

Minutes are passing.


  I remain in this body, my living soul’s shell.


Within this human house, a lantern is burning.


 This life, my story book of feeble days- is ageing before my very eyes.


But my soul’s essence is a vibrating inner living fire.


Days within Inner vision- observing past to present,


 Streaming always onward as future becomes real.


Past memories fade, into once shining days of life, once as real as today.


 Life exists- in past, present and future, like a circular ring of memories.


Even within the pain of past regrets over poor choices- stupid mistakes:


What to do?


This shadow’s path, sometimes a mystery does not need to be permanent.


For, it is in  the trip of moments, within minutes that lessons may be gained.


 Moving, always moving; our day’s landscape transforms within process.

 

We change, we grow, we mature; even in the sometimes dark places


 of our own making.

Where are the colors?


 Even darkness holds color


But only the Son’s power


 Brings  sparkles of understanding

-

 And every hue’s sense of meaning.

© 2017 Kathy Van Kurin


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

We stand , run, climb and fall. All part of progressing and learning our limits.
Your excellent final stanza shows that even adversity can be a source of learning, but the light of optimism is necessary to discern it.
That is why we SHOULD care. otherwise we could miss it.





Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Norman223,
"That is why we SHOULD care, otherwise we could miss it." Yes! In this life we all.. read more



Reviews

if only we could understand our own lives sometimes...what exactly is the purpose of our existence...we spend a lifetime trying to construe a meaning from a lot of darkness...unearth the secrets, uncloud the sun....
excellent and thoughtful write.
j.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Hi Jacob,
If only.....As you have pointed out really says a lot! The intricasies of the comin.. read more
Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within the other person's frame of reference. And, sometimes that is very hard to do! This is where the human capacity to 'care' kicks in; it can make the difference between life and death in extreme cases. Loved your piece - very thought provoking. Peace be with you ...

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

phil Oz o'fee,
"Empathy is the capacity to understand." These words just became so real as i .. read more
We stand , run, climb and fall. All part of progressing and learning our limits.
Your excellent final stanza shows that even adversity can be a source of learning, but the light of optimism is necessary to discern it.
That is why we SHOULD care. otherwise we could miss it.





Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Norman223,
"That is why we SHOULD care, otherwise we could miss it." Yes! In this life we all.. read more
For me, this poem tells of the unstoppable inner desire that we (as humans) have in our hearts to live life to the fullest. This desire always speaks, even if we're too hopeless to listen. I interpreted the first part as the speaker showing how her inner flame still burns regardless of her pessimisic outlook. From there, the poem takes on a nostalgic feel as the speaker reflects on her memories. The last stanza becomes more optimistic as the speaker realizes that everything (even suffering) has meaning, even if that meaning is hidden in darkness.
The poem is strong in its message, and even more so in how it reflects the human mind in times of despair. I loved your descriptions and thought-evoking statements throughout; my favorite had to be "even darkness holds color." Perhaps it's the beautiful simplicity, but that line really resonated with me ... I'll be sure to remember it.
I spotted one issue though: "my *storybook* of feeble days" (Storybook is one word).

- William Liston

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

william Liston,
I am tickled by your review. Meaning and ideas which are somewhat different f.. read more
I really like this, even if we don't want to care about something, sometimes we do without control. well done

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

xoxo,
Nice to hear from you. I had not thought of this poem quite that way. You and all peop.. read more
I really like this poem
It has such a nice soothing emotion to it. And its something i can very well relate to.
"Past memories fade, into once shining days of life, once as real as today."
This makes me so nostalgic.....i literally have past memories i held on to so dearly once upon a time come back to me after reading this.
The sun bringing back power. In my opinion we ourselves are the sun and the power is within us to take care of ourselves our emotions and feelings and memories
This was amazing well done kathy !!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Pia Rarooq,
We are so intricate in our ways! Memories which happened in are youth; conversati.. read more
what can i say but a lovely flowing poem of words that ring true of life, change and wisdom. beautifully constructed and well penned write kathy.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

You have inspired my heart with encouragement! "Words that ring true of life, change and wisdom." It.. read more
I loved this, I mean I really loved this...so uplifting and rejuvenating, really. The idea of not being defined by past mistakes and focusing on the light inside us instead of the shadows behind us. So uplifting.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

James,
Your review has been uplifting. I like your words. It is so good to be reminded of the.. read more
Our past defines us, the trick is to accept and learn from our experiences, be humble and a little wiser as we journey forward!

A discernibly penned life poem, much enjoyed Kathy!





Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Tom,
Yes, "our past defines us." I like that comment because it brings we members of humanity.. read more
Tom

6 Years Ago

And to you K.
Kathy this is so beautiful it took me through a range of emotion. ... our lives filled with experiences, regrets and lessons, how wonderfully you touched our journey in this short time we have been given..... thank you for sharing this gift.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Hebe,
It's so nice you have come by and read my poem.Our inner being-where we live, process a.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1322 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 6, 2017
Last Updated on October 25, 2017

Author

Kathy Van Kurin
Kathy Van Kurin

OR



About
Everything in and about me has become materiel to ponder, analyze and find meaning and beauty. This life journey is all about revealing lessons many times hidden until dug up and planted then finding .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..