Chapter 7: This Means War

Chapter 7: This Means War

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

“What do you wish, Marianne?” one of the girl’s minions asked.

“I wish for you to take this girl backstage and give her a good demonstration of what will happen if he touches my man,” Marianne ordered.

“Whoa, she just made one comment,” I stood up and got between the other fan girl and Marianne’s minions; “Can’t you all just sit down and listen to the music.”

“Not with this w***e in front of us,” Marianne informed me, “Are you going to be a problem too, miss?”

 

“Don’t you think you’re being a little overly dramatic?” I stayed in front of the minions as they tried to get around me.

“Mika is my ideal,” she said, “So either get her to move or she’s gone with a perma-smile.”

“Sit down before I alert security,” I commanded then they sat down obediently. I had to sneak backstage after the first song to let Mika check my bandages and I didn’t mention the fan girls or their obsession with him. I didn’t want it to go to his head with two songs still left. I went back and sat closer to the centre this time, but the crazies in back area were still annoying me, even from a distance. I could barely focus during Limited Life and I really wanted to shut everything out by the last song. It was getting dark, my ears were ringing and I did not want to be anywhere near those fan girls. They were dangerous and I became increasingly less comfortable.

“Final song: a favourite of our new roadie,” Neill announced, “Working through the Mist.”

 

“Before we began, I would like to thank the fans and this journey of ours will continue through the States,” Mika announced, “And we’d appreciate it if you’d all keep your phones and cameras down and let the music speak for itself.”

“Sing already,” one of the men shouted and I laughed a little through my wrecked state. I felt cold and I needed the music to relax me like it did when I listened to it on my iPod.

“I break the silence,” he began, “I can’t stand the cold; the broken pieces of us as memories unfold. For even in the dark; we are with the stars, even in the mist; we can find our way again.” I clapped and he started on the chorus. “I thought we were friends; I believed every lie, promises were made. They fall and ricochet; we break wide open; we’re lost in time. Forgotten in the mists; can I have one last wish? One last chance to shine a light to break up the dark before it tears me down.” I cheered along with everyone else and temporarily forgot myself.

When the song was over, I headed up front only to end up cornered by Marianne, Veronica, Corra and three other minions halfway there.

 

“We haven’t seen you at performances before,” Marianne shoved me lightly, “Who are you?”

“It’s a concert; we don’t have to all know each other,” I tried to dodge her.

“If you want a comfortable experience then you do,” she replied, “Who are you a fan of?”

“The whole band,” I countered.

“You have to choose your icon,” she rolled her eyes, “Do you know anything about the Stolen Arrows?”

“Quite a bit actually,” I snapped, “Now leave me alone; you’re acting like a crazy person.”

“Mika is mine,” she said in a threatening tone.

 

“Don’t bother getting a diagnosis; just go straight to nut house,” I shook my head and she shoved me down to the ground.

“Girls,” she commanded and they surrounded me.

“Stop,” I’d never been so happy to hear Mika’s voice. “This is not a war zone; it’s a festival,” Mika pushed his way through and helped me to my feet.

“My,” Marianne swooned.

“Are you alright?” he pushed the girls out of the way and we passed through, “Keep your distance, girls I mean it.”

 

“Who is she?” Marianne asked.

“None of your concern,” Michael snapped and then once we were a safe distance away, he stopped.

“What was that all about?” I asked seeing them still watching us from a distance.

“Fan addicts,” he crossed his arms.

“What?” I raised an eyebrow.

 

“Men and women who rely on the Internet to dictate what they like and follow any artists ‘til death do they part,” he cited, “Basically trend chasers on steroids.”

“Sounds like something Jed and Kyle came up with when they were high,” I remarked.

“They were, but it’s real,” he told me, “They always form in layers or strata as you geologists would call them. The first step is the likers; more casual and actually like the music. They are light and easy to be around. The lovers are the fans that want signatures, sneak into our motel rooms in skimpy outfits and love our voices and sound. Those are Jed’s favourite kind. The third strata was Marianne’s gang and others of her kind. They are the stalkers or skin walkers as Neill refers to them. They change their appearances to keep up with the latest fads and will go to any lengths to prove they are worth of their idols.”

 

“When did this start? It wasn’t like this back home,” I followed him as he started walking again.

“When we were uploaded to You-tube basically,” he shuddered, “I tried bringing a girlfriend to a concert once after that and she practically got trampled to death by minions of hell itself.”

“Why wasn’t I warned then?” I demanded.

“I was hoping they would ignore you,” he shrugged, “Maybe you should congregate with the likers; you do actually seem to like the music after all.”

“Only because of Neill’s awesome drum solos and Max’s riffs,” I stuck out my tongue at him.

“I kind of missed you, Em,” he sighed.

“I wish you guys had taken me with you to begin with; my home life is such a mess, but I thought I could survive it before,” I wrapped my arms around my icy skin.

 

“You’re cold,” he took off his jacket and wrapped it around me. This caused a stir in the brat pack watching us still. “I know you’re not fragile, but you cannot write if you’re shivering and you are more tolerable with a pen in your hand.”

“You’re just lucky I haven’t launched one at you yet,” I said, “Are you ever going to say anything about the car?”

“I don’t want to talk about that car.”

“Why not?”

 

“Because it was years ago and we’ve grown out of the need to punish each other for past deeds, haven’t we?” he explained.

“I never thought I could stand to be around you after that,” I looked into his blue eyes, “But I did feel like you weren’t trying to punish me, even though I broke a rule.”

“Well, I should go and find us a motel to stay at,” he took a step back, “Your brother is probably worried about you by now.”

 

“He knows I am with you,” I rolled my eyes, “Neill trusts you not to do anything stupid.”

“He shouldn’t,” he said looking back into my eyes.

“You don’t break the rules,” I reminded him, “Don’t act like you’re disgusted one moment and alright the next; you cannot develop a split personality disorder, I forbid it.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he flashed a rare smile then we approached the van.

“Hey,” the volunteer from the register appeared out of nowhere, “Stolen Arrows, right.”

“Yeah,” I said taken aback, “I thought all of the volunteers would still be working.

“We work in shifts; so how about that drink?” he offered.

“Thanks for the offer,” I thought about it, “I am actually really tired right now and I cannot drink alcohol.”

“Why not?” he inquired. I almost told him about my anti-depressants, but then Mika spoke for me.

 

“She needs her sleep,” Mika told him, “I think you should look elsewhere.”

“Are you her bodyguard?” the guy snorted, “I think the girl can make decisions for herself.”

“You should leave,” Michael grabbed my arm, “Come on, we have practice and driving to do in the morning; one step closer to New York.”

“There is no harm in talking to him,” I argued then turned to the volunteer, “How was your shift?”

“Awful, after you left, it was a complete sausage fest and I saw one pair of men making out,” he said making a face, “I thought that was illegal in this State or something.”

“Excuse me,” I hoped I’d heard him wrong.

“I just think those kinds of relationships are taboo, that’s all,” he commented, “Their parts don’t even match.”

“That doesn’t matter,” I retorted, “There is nothing unnatural about them, got it.”

 

“Oh, I assumed you were straight because of the flirting,” he whacked his head, “Obviously, I offended a bi-sexual little beast.”

“Hey,” Mika said warningly.

“You can run your freak flag up the pole, but you cannot take it back down again, princess,” he said.

“You are such a disease,” I started forward, but Mika stopped me before I could hit him.

 

“Keep the two-faced little beast at a distance; I like her better that way,” he smirked, “Train wrecks are always nicer from a distance and looks like she almost rid the world of one more freak.”

“Tough guy,” Mika let go of me.

 

“What are you going to hit me, sweetheart?” the guy asked me.

“I am,” Michael shoved him down to the ground hard using his muscles for once.

“Watch it, performing monkey,” the guy tried to get up, but Kyle and Jed grabbed him from behind, “Hey.”

“Fight,” Jed said excitedly, “Mika, throw the first punch.”

“One on one,” Mika growled and I hadn’t seen him like this since his brother was around. He tried to stay contained, but when he snapped it was a big deal.

“What is going on?” Deke tried to hold Mika back.

“Nothing, f****t,” the guy spat and Neill slapped him. The guys tried to surround him, but I managed to get hold of Michael before they threw a punch.

 

“Don’t make a mess,” I got in front of him, “You are better than this; don’t let the pig press charges, Mika.” He looked down at me. “Please.” 


© 2015 Lorena Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Added on April 27, 2015
Last Updated on April 27, 2015
Tags: music, fiction, life, writing, song, drums, power, love, rules


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose