Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

I felt exactly when I was back in my body. I stretched out my finger and toes and felt a smile play on my lips. Welcome back Maya Garnet, I thought then I heard voices nearby. My eyes opened and for a second all I could focus on was the stars. I hadn't seen them in so long. When I had a vision of an impending storm, I convinced everyone to go down into the main bunker and there was a war there, but I'd never made it out. I had died supposedly, but for some reason the doctor's attempt didn't work on me. The stars were so bright tonight and my mind was alive with information and questions.

I tried to sit up, but my muscles were stiff which meant I'd been out for awhile. I wanted to know so much, where were all of my friends? Did Darren still love me or was he with someone else now? Was Seth one of those soldiers now? How were Eva and Nora dealing with the chaos? Eva was dating Seth who was my closest friend and had introduced me to the fact that the medical community had given out 'adaptor' pills to keep us from getting cold during the frosts and storms which were very common nowadays.

The pills were actually filled with neuro-stroma, which manipulates cells and creates abilities in humans that don't seem possible to someone who isn't afflicted. Almost anyone, I should say. My boyfriend, Darren Price was not afflicted he was military and a good soldier, but when his sister informed him about the history of our afflictions he sided with us. I did not like him very much at first, but by the end I sacrificed myself I was in love with him.

 

“This is going to take all night,” I heard a male voice say and I looked over to see two military dressed officers lighting up a body.

“That's the point, these people are a display to those freaks,” his partner argued, “Remember the girl goes last.”

“Why did we wait so long? She has been dead for over a month, Garrison,” the first guy commented.

“Morrison was hoping he could revive her, but her body was completely shut down,” Garrison answered, “Pity too, she was pretty and I could use some fun.”

“Like Morrison would have let you touch her, she was his masterpiece,” his friend pushed the burning body off the display and they put the next one up, “I heard she saw future events, no wonder all those afflicted kids got away she could tell when and where we were just as we decided to attack.”

“That's dangerous,” Garrison remarked and I laid down again. I had to get out of here soon before they tried to burn me to a crisp.

“I know the reason we are burning her last is because Morrison wants to be here for it,” his friend said seriously, “Maybe some of her friends will show up and we can get some more gifted on our side.”

“We only have the five freaks converted and Peck's son is so entitled now that his strength has improved,” Garrison complained.

“The girl we've got isn't as nice looking as this one, she can cause quite a shock-wave and throw people around,” his friend said.

 

“Jemma,” I mouthed to myself. They converted her too.

 

“Every one of them would be useless against a girl with visions though, it's good she's out of the equation,” Garrison said calmly, “Did I tell you what Peck's daughters?” Once they deep in conversation, I rolled myself gently over then fell off the table and luckily the dirt quietened my fall. My side hurt from hitting a bigger rock, but I began to crawl. My mouth was bone dry and my head ached. I needed to find water fast. I was using my elbows to keep myself moving, I didn't care that my white dress was dirty. I heard the sound of the Jacobi Creek and I kept moving until I was half submerged in water. I put my hands together and lifted the water up to my lips to drink. I drank greedily until my head stopped spinning.

 

I dove deeper into the water and came up feeling slightly more refreshed. My stomach growled and I knew I needed to find some food somewhere. “The girl's body,” Garrison's friend shouted, “It's gone.”

“What do you mean?” Garrison replied and I swam to the other side of the creek. I climbed out and my legs stayed fairly steady underneath me. I broke into one of the dark houses and grabbed a long black jacket to cover myself up. I spotted a military compound down the street and I noticed a white light on my wrist. I must still have the tracker in me. I decided to go there because this house was void of food, plus I'd rather still from the military than everyday people.

 

When I got down the compound, I showed my tracker and the officer looked me over. “Are you afflicted?” he asked.

“I belong to Dr. Morrison,” I faked a monotone voice.

“Too bad,” he remarked then let me through. I went straight to the food line-up and stole someone's hat so I'd look less noticeable. I was just grabbing some salad, meat and potatoes when my traitorous brother, Cass came storming into the compound with Garrison and his friend right on his heels.

 

“I cannot believe you lost her,” Cass said angrily.

“She's a body they must have taken it,” Garrison said seriously.

“Morrison is not going to be pleased,” Cass snarled, “Garrison, Saunders say goodbye to your promotions.”

“You act like we lost a prisoner,” Saunders complained.

“It was his sister, Saunders,” Garrison replied and I quickly made my way to an empty table close enough I could hear them talking.

 

“She was my sister now Morrison just wants this over with,” Cass told them, “Find whoever did this and get it back.”

“They cannot do anything with a body, sir,” Garrison reminded him.

“She's already a martyr,” Cass growled, “Those freaks worship her practically, everyone I catch seems to know her and love her.”

 

“Not as much as Price from what I hear,” Saunders said, “Had any luck finding him?”

“He's outside the city and I patrol inside,” Cass sounded annoyed, “I want to talk to that idiot and find out what he thinks he's doing.”

 

“Hey honey,” a drunk soldier sat down beside me as I finished with my beef, “You are stunning.”

“Not interested,” I said quietly.

“I am a soldier and you look like a w***e so come with me,” he tried to grab me around the middle.

“Don't,” I twisted his wrist then walked away.

“Hey, boys fresh meat,” he laughed then him and three of his friends chased me. I went up the stairs into the storage and I was ready when the first one got into the room.

 

“Come here darling,” the guy said.

“Don't bother me,” I warned him.

“Come on,” he tried to grab me and I saw his move right before he made it. I grabbed his arm and twisted it behind his back then swung him into the tomato cans.

 

“You want to play girl,” the next guy said and I saw him run right at me.

“Let's play,” I replied then dodged behind a rack when he came at me and shoved the rack of raw meat down on him then came around and kicked his head in. The last two guys came from both sides and I stepped out of the way just in time to smash their two heads together.

 

“Sweetheart,” a guy grabbed me from behind and tried to take off my coat, “I could arrest you for that, or you could give me a prize.”

“A*****e,” I elbowed him in the gut then hit his face then turned to kicked him down the stairs.

“B***h,” he cried and I laughed despite myself. I felt tired already, but I had a new mission. I grabbed one of the shipment bags and started to fill it with food. I heard people coming up here and I hid in the freezer. I was used to the cold at this point, but I heard people running back downstairs.

 

“She got away, sir,” I heard Garrison say, “What a woman, I bet I could take her on.”

“Do any of you have a description?” my brother announced and I climbed out of the freezer. I stole one of the unconscious military guy's jacket and stole another pair of boots that were close to my size. I traded hats then hurried down the stairs. I snuck in amongst the crowd and started to make my way towards the door with my bag of goodies. I spotted my brother.

 

“Blonde hair,” the guy I kicked down the stairs said, “She was definitely blonde.”

“Anything else,” Cass looked around and I tried to blend into the crowd.

 

“She could fight, but she must have been off duty or something,” another guy came downstairs and I was almost to the door.

“She was soaking wet too,” one of the guys stated.

 

“Wet,” Cass said then I felt his eyes on me. I got out the door and snuck around the corner. I was just about to sneak out the back alley when someone covered my mouth with their hand. “Who are you? Are you one of those freaks?” he asked putting a gun to the back of my neck, “Whose side are you on?” I stepped down hard on his foot and elbowed him in the nose.

“Garnet, do you need help?” Garrison came around the corner with his gun, “Stand down, freak.” I grabbed Cass's gun and shot at Saunder's leg because he was closer to me.

 

“Who do you think you are?” Saunders keeled over holding his leg.

“She's a soldier, obviously,” Garrison shot at me and I saw the bullet's path. I dodged it and it hit Cass who was getting up behind me.

 

“Stand down,” my brother commanded then I was hit by an intense vision. I saw the table and the shots then anger and fearful images of my friends hurting.

“No, no, no,” I held my head then I realized I was on the ground.

 

“What the hell,” Garrison asked and my eyes opened again. I felt my brother walk up behind me and flip the hat off. I looked down as my curls fell to my shoulders. “Whoa,” Garrison said.

“Maya,” Cass said putting the gun to the side of my head this time, “We need to talk.”

 

“Go to hell,” I replied then he pulled me to my feet. My body was sore and though I struggled, Cass won. He shoved me into compound's main office and slammed the door shut.

“How is this possible?” he asked locking the door.

“I don't know,” I kept my distance from him.

“Your body was unresponsive, your heart stopped beating and you weren't breathing I checked,” he said seriously, “Garrison said you were supposed to burn tonight.”

“I figured that out when I woke up,” I answered.

“Death serum has never failed to work before,” he looked suspicious, “What did you do?”

“I didn't do anything, Cass,” I snapped, “I was in a dream and then I woke up and it was a month later.”

“Do your afflicted friends know you're back?” he questioned.

“How could they possibly know?” I argued automatically.

“Right,” he walked over to me, “So you're our seer now, we can turn the tables.”

 

“I am not your seer,” I answered, “If that is your plan then you might as well put the gun in my mouth right now.”

“Not before I get to rub this in Price's face,” he touched my face, “Morrison will be very pleased to have his pet back.”

“I am not his pet,” I said eyes narrowed, “And if you go anywhere near Darren I swear I'll...”

“Do what?” he cut me off.

“I'll make sure you pay,” I told him, “I don't know when or how, but you will not be forgiven for hurting him.”

“You think you love him, little sister, but you're seventeen you have no idea what love is,” he pulled out handcuffs.

“I know more than you,” I head-butted him shoved him down and went to unlock the door.

 

“Why do you always have to struggle these days?” he grabbed me by the hair, “You make things difficult for yourself.”

“Let go of me,” I turned and slapped him.

“No,” he took my arm and stuck a needle into it, “I am taking you back to where you belong.”

“I don't belong there,” I muttered then fell forward blacking out.


© 2015 Lorena Rose


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Lorena Rose
what do you think will happen?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

287 Views
Added on May 1, 2015
Last Updated on May 1, 2015
Tags: cold's fire, danger, dystopian, monster, change, betrayal, defeat, forgiveness, life


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lorena Rose