Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

The rest of the night I spent talking to Nora and we did not sleep at all. I had a whole month to get caught up on and while she talked, I braided her hair and then started looking through Eva's old clothes. “She really dresses up,” I looked at a small black dress, “I will never be wearing that around your brother.”

“No one wants you wearing that,” Nora joked, “So your speech is in ten minutes we should probably head to the main tent.”

“Where are we going?” Eva sat up with her hair sticking out in every direction.

 

“Hey, mama,” I climbed over and started braiding her hair for her, “How is your stomach feeling? Do you need to go outside?”

“I think I'm alright,” she groaned, “I might need to change though.”

“Good idea,” I agreed then sat with Nora again while she changed, “So Nora, have you been practising your new ability.”

 

“I practice in the building usually, but lately it's been occupied,” she said and I looked over at Eva who accidentally lit up her toothbrush.

“About that, those kids and Eva,” I looked around first, “How much neuro-stroma did they have?”

“I don't know,” she said then turned to Eva, “How much of that neuro-stroma did you eat, Eve?”

“Darren told us not to tell her,” Eva hurried over.

“I overheard him talking about it with Rogers,” I rolled my eyes.

 

“Oh well in that case, I had probably about four big leaves of it and I passed out before I could eat another,” she explained, “It didn't affect me as much as those kids, I feel horrible I was supposed to be their leader.”

“You probably didn't know what it was,” I assured her.

“I thought it was herbal or something it tasted sweet almost,” she commented, “Like cough syrup or tea, but it has different effects, I am probably not explaining it properly.”

 

“No, I get what you're saying,” I nodded, “We should go to my announcement, but tell me more later okay.”

“You got it,” she agreed then we all left the tent. When we got to the tent, Darren was waiting by the stage and Dr. Jamieson motioned for me to come up. Everyone seemed to be already gathered and I chewed on my lip while Dr. Hunter spoke.

“Everyone has heard by now that Maya Garnet, one of our fighters and a talented seer has returned to us,” Hunter said and there were a few cheers, “She would like to speak to all of you about her visions and hopefully shed some light on the last month and our future after today.”

 

“Right,” I muttered then went up to the front replacing Dr. Hunter, “Hello everyone, I guess most of you recognize me from the last time I stood up here.” “I realize I did nothing to instill confidence in you then, but I will put to rest the rumours that I am working for the doctors,” I cleared my throat, “I survived the death serum and my plan was to come here once I could make the trip.” “I got caught and taken back to the labs, they tried to turn me like they did to Seth Adams,” I continued, “I am not turned now though, I know it's hard to believe, but the serums do not have to destroy you if you learn to fight them.”

“Are you going to teach us?” one of them asked.

“I am going to try,” I said seriously, “The guardians here should be told that our best chance at beating the enemy is surrounding them and coming in from all sides, also I am sorry to say that the people inside the city are in danger now due to the fact that the serum will most likely be forced on anyone who doesn't agree with Dr. Morrison's rules.”

 

“What?” someone shouted, “They can't do that.”

“We must send people in and if you have any family in the city then we'll work as hard as we can to get them out of there,” I said and Dr. Jamieson cleared his throat, “Also I know I cannot apologize enough, but for the people who found the neuro-stroma plant I know what it's like to have more power than you want so I am sorry you are in pain.” I felt Darren's eyes boring into the side of my head.

“What do you suggest we do with it?” one of the guardians asked.

“My opinion,” I replied, “I think it should be burned before it can do any more harm to people.”

 

“Miss. Garnet, maybe you should let us offer our insights before you make decisions like this,” Dr. Jamieson suggested.

“It should be burned,” one of the women said, “My son is ten and he can barely sit still now he vibrates when he does.”

“I agree,” Eva said holding her belly, “It is not good for us, we struggle enough to deal with the original afflictions to begin with.”

“Garnet,” Rogers helped me off the other side of the stage, “Are you trying to cause a mob?”

“That stuff manipulates our cells and increase abilities some of us don't know how to control, we cannot risk making it worse for people,” I said as he dragged me outside, “You said we should burn it last night.”

 

“Do you ever sleep or just listen in on people's conversations?” he demanded, “You have me convinced that you're not a spy, but why are you trying to fight with Jamieson?”

“Because he's never had an affliction, he's seen what it does to people, but he doesn't know the level of pain that people like me feel,” I told him, “I cannot sleep most nights because I see people I love get hurt or killed in my visions and I cannot protect them while I am unconscious.”

“Miss. Garnet,” Dr. Jamieson came out to us, “You need to calm your temper.”

 

“I can't believe you would risk people's lives by getting them to take that stuff,” I shook my head, “They may not be as powerful as me without the enhancers, but they will still be subjected to the worst kind of pain imaginable.”

“We can adjust it and you could give them lessons on how to control it,” he suggested.

“I will not be part of it,” I argued, “I'll help Eva and those kids, but there will not be anyone else otherwise you're being just as backhanded as the military doctors.”

“I think she's right,” Dr. Hunter joined us; “We should focus on resisting the controller serum and figuring out how to survive the death serum in extreme cases.”

 

“Well the doctors there said, my mind and body went into hibernation,” I said relieved, “It doesn't kill you, if you don't let it take over you.”

“Would you allow us to run some tests?” Dr. Hunter asked hopefully.

“No more needles in her,” Darren appeared beside me and took off his jacket to show them my arms, “She has them all over her arms.”

 

“I was going to suggest brain scans and maybe an ex-ray at most,” Hunter suggested while Jamieson stood there looking annoyed, “Of course, we'll need to ask you more questions.”

“I'll answer them gladly,” I agreed then turned to Jamieson, “I am sorry, doctor after what happened to Eva and what they're doing to people like Seth, we need to focus on absolutes.”

“Very well, Dr. Hunter we should go back to the medical tent,” he walked away.

“I am with you too, kid,” Jeremiah squeezed my hand then headed off with Rogers close behind.

“Why were you listening in on me and Rogers?” Darren questioned as I put the jacket back on.

“You two weren't exactly being quiet and I should have known you were hiding something from me,” I snapped, “Eva is my friend I think I should have been told about the neuro-stroma, what if it did something to her baby?”

 

“I was going to tell you, there just wasn't time with you trying to set me up with other women,” he retorted.

“Why can't you trust that I won't overreact? If you had told me yourself, I wouldn't have told everyone and started an uprising,” I argued.

“I said I was going to,” he replied.

“I know what you said, but if we cannot be honest with each other then what is the point?” I shrugged.

“The point is that I was trying to protect you,” he insisted.

 

“I can protect myself and you know it,” I took his hands, “I understand that you want me to respect your privacy, but for that to happen you're going to have to get into your mind that information about my friends is not your secret to keep from me.”

“Understood,” he agreed, “In return though, you don't keep any suicidal visions secret from me, or keep facts hidden until they explode like at that meeting.”

“That wasn't exactly planned, but I had to say something,” I sighed, “I didn't expect everyone to listen to me, they all thought I was a traitor and a liar.”

 

“Well you did a good job convincing them you weren't,” he ran a hand through his hair.

“Developing nervous habits from not drinking,” I guessed.

“Among other things, yes,” he gave me a look.

“I wanted to ask you something,” I bit my lip.

“What is it now?” he asked.

 

“Were you with anyone else while you were drinking? Nora won't tell me she said I should ask you and I guess I could understand if you were,” I rambled. I didn't mean the last part, the very thought of it was like getting stabbed in the heart.

“I wasn't with anyone, Maya,” he replied.

“Nobody,” I tried not to sound excited.

“You're the only one I've been thinking about for a long while,” he told me, “No one else compares.”

 

“Not even Kelley with her wily ways,” I raised an eyebrow, “You are attracted to her.”

“Her looks, yes, but she doesn't have the control over me that you have,” he commented, “Just promise that you're going to behave.”

“I promise,” I persisted, “I won't make any more enemies without a second opinion.”

“You are a force of nature,” he laughed, “Now go back to your tent and try to rest otherwise I'll have to steal you back.”

“I will not be kidnapped again,” I pushed him playfully, “Now go do a perimeter check.”

“Yes, ma'am,” he said then I headed back to the tent to find Eva with her phone out.

 

“Damn it I need the number,” she muttered.

“Eva,” I said and she looked around at me with tears running down her face.

“I need to find him, Maya,” she said, but her hands were shaking so bad she dropped the phone.

“What is it?” I forced her to sit down.

“I heard you tell the others that the neuro-stroma might affect the baby, May,” she sobbed, “I cannot handle that on my own, I can barely keep myself from burning down the whole campsite as it is.”

“Hey,” I hugged her, “I will not let anything bad happen to you or that baby, that kid is going to have all of us to help it whether it's gifted or not.”

“I want him to tell me this,” she cried into my shoulder.

“He will,” I assured her, “Even if I have to drag him back here kicking and screaming, he will be here and we'll make him fight the serum, me and you.”

“I will,” she nodded, “Right now I am so tired though, I need more sleep.”

“I am with you,” I flopped down onto my mattress, “Tomorrow you and Darren can show me those boys who ate the neuro-stroma, but today I want to sleep and be with the people who matter the most to me.”

“You don't think that fire got Seth do you? Maybe we should look into it,” she said nervously.

“Seth is still in my visions, he's alive,” I told her, “You have to stay here though, he'll come after us soon enough and we'll get him then.”

“I cannot wait to tell him,” she yawned then laid her head against the pillow, “How do you think he'll react?”

“He'll be thrilled,” I told her then went to sleep myself.



© 2015 Lorena Rose


Author's Note

Lorena Rose
do you see any grammar problems?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on May 28, 2015
Last Updated on May 28, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose