Chapter 4: Lullaby

Chapter 4: Lullaby

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

I took the insomnia medication at around ten when we got to the motel where Mika had reserved rooms. Kyle and Jed went around the back to drink, but the other guys helped me carry my stuff up to the room. “You’re bunking with me,” Cassia opened the door for me, “I snore a little, but I packed your iPod and headphones.”

“You’re an angel of mercy,” I took my bag from Mika, “Sleep tight, men and I pity the wake-up call when those two finish their stash.”

“We’ll survive it,” Neill pecked my cheek then they headed over to the adjoining room.

 

“Stay in the room; this area is safer than other areas of Seattle, but still,” Michael handed me a whistle, “Use that if someone gets into your room and remember to lock the door.”

“Yes, mom,” I curtsied and he rolled his eyes, “I passed out a little early, is there a concert tomorrow?”

“Yes, at six in the middle of the local Winter Festival,” he nodded, “Be prepared to carry some equipment and try not to dress in sweats.”

“I’ll work on it,” I slammed the door in his face and locked the door.

“Em,” he said.

“Goodnight, Michael,” I put the chain in place.

“Impossible,” he hissed then I heard him slam the door next to ours.

 

“Baby,” I snorted then Cassia started laughing, “What is so funny if you don’t mind me asking?”

“You two argue more than me and Kyle; it’s adorable,” she laid out on the bed, “You’re both very opinionated.”

“I am not nearly as uptight as him,” I took my ointment to coat my aching hands.

“Sure you’re not,” she shook her head then started to climb into the bed.

“Take off your shoes first,” I warned and this made her laugh even harder, “I don’t like dirt on the sheets.”

“Yes, ma’am,” she kicked off her shoes then put her head into the pillow, “See you in the morning.”

“Yeah,” I opened my suitcase and I took a quick shower then changed into my nightwear. This consisted of an overly large blue T-shirt and a warm pair of socks. I brushed my teeth and my hair before climbing into bed. I fluffed my pillow then laid my head against it and closed my eyes. I felt tired and yet I felt wide awake at the same time. I tossed and turned trying to sleep. I could hear Jed’s spastic laughter and I groaned rolling away from the noise.

 

“Look at the sky; it’s so beautiful up there above us,” Jed said excitedly, “I love absinthe.”

“I can see every colour in the world; I see everything,” Kyle said proudly.

“Butterfly,” Jed said and I heard glass shattering. I covered my head with the pillow, but I could still hear them. I grabbed my iPod and headphones. I turned up the volume on my classical music and tried to tune them out. I didn’t like songs like words usually. I preferred Celtic and classical music because it was easier to write by. I did love the Stolen Arrows, my brother’s band. That was mostly because of Mika’s voice, but I wasn’t going to tell him that one of his ballads, Working through the Mist was my most played song.

 

I had liked many things about Mika until he broke my heart. One minute, we were kissing then Neill came over to Michael’s house to tell him about a gig and the minute he was gone, Mika was silent. I couldn’t speak either then he wrote something on his napkin. “You should head home,” he said then left the room while I read the napkin.

 

I told you I don’t date relatives of the band-mates. I am thinking of both of our futures here. I am not good at break-ups so I’ll just say goodbye and feel free to keep coming to practices. I hope we can be civil, you and I are a mess you don’t have to deal with. Bye.

Mika

 

I tried to knock his door, but he didn’t answer. I thought what he did was childish, but I probably would have acted the same if I’d been obsessed with a list of strict life rules. I hadn’t realized how serious he was about the rules until our break-up. I stopped making him sing with radio, which was another of his rules. I suggested OCD, but he just glared at me. Both of us were bitter towards each other; there was no doubt of that.

His car was the only revenge I took, but I sometimes felt like I did more damage than he did. I was all for equal punishment, but he was a mental warfare type and he didn’t act out directly. I was trying to focus on the music when the boy started shouting again.

 

“That dragonfly is blue, big blue,” Jed announced.

“Crush it before we become dragon hybrids,” Kyle shouted, “I don’t want to fly, devil’s spawn.”

“It’s talking to me,” Jed said and I heard more glass shattering. I wasn’t going to sleep here. I climbed out of bed and I took my pillow and iPod out into the hallway.

“Sparky,” Kyle cried and I knew I couldn’t sleep out here either. I took the stairs down to the van then I noticed there was a light on inside.

 

“If you are trying to steal-” I opened the door then Mika looked up. “You,” I sighed.

“Go to bed,” he said and I noticed he had a guitar and his notebook.

“Are you practicing a new song?” I asked climbing in and closing the door.

“I said to go to bed,” he started to put away the guitar.

“I can’t sleep with drunken out morons screeching outside my window,” I sat down, “Go ahead and play; I won’t say anything while you’re playing, I might even fall asleep if it’s a quiet song.”

“Fair enough, but you better get eight hours,” he sighed then started to play the guitar. I liked the rhythm before he started singing.

 

“The road is long; I am far from home; I cannot leave the highway tonight,” he sang, “I feel the right wind; I catch it and leave this course behind; I want to break free; I want to leave, but I can’t.” He continued and I listened carefully. I laid back and closed my eyes while he played. “Why do I even try? I am cast aside by the highway drive and every time I try to run; I come back and sat again; Lovers pass, this cycle never ends.” I nodded along and I kept my iPod hidden since he would probably get annoyed if he knew I was recording him.

When he finished, he wrote down a few more lyrics then was silent for a moment. “I missed you, Em,” he said quietly.

“Missed you guys too, sorry about your car,” I opened one of my eyes.

“Go to sleep, I will be back soon,” he climbed out.

“Where are you going?” I yawned.

 

“To beat up a couple of idiots and possibly hide their stash,” he sighed, “There’s a blanket in the back; I’ll sleep in the room if you want to be alone.”

“I really don’t,” I said opening my other eye.

“I thought you hated me,” he raised an eyebrow.

“I don’t want to be myself and I can trust to only be a minor league idiot,” I replied, “Besides, I don’t snore or talk in my sleep.”

“Neill is better about that some nights now,” he ran his hand through his hair, “I guess if I sleep in the back.”

“You wouldn’t be breaking any of the rules of behaviour,” I grabbed the blanket, “I saw a creek nearby; throw the stash away.”

“You’re nicer when you’re sleepy,” he smiled slightly then closed the door and I stretched out across the seat. I curled up in the blanket then I heard an owl in the tree nearby and what sounded like an evil cricket. I could hear the creek and I remembered the time I fell in the river when I was twelve. I was tensing up and curling up tighter and tighter in a ball then I heard the back door open.

 

“Who?” I said then he hushed me, “I hope you didn’t really beat them up.”

“Used my words,” he turned off his flashlight and closed the trunk, “Night, Emmeline.”

“Night, Mika,” I turned onto my other side and listened to him hum until I passed out. I woke up to the car horn going off.

 

“Morning, you two,” Kyle laughed and I opened my eyes to see him and Jed both with bloody nose, but I knew it wasn’t from being hit. “Sunshine,” Kyle smiled and I saw Mika sit up. His hair was all standing up and he had circles under his eyes.

“What time is it?” he checked his phone and the time woke him right up, “We have the festival to get to and we only have six hours; it’s noon.”

“I overslept,” I climbed into the back.

“Antidepressants and water,” he handed me both as I settled in. Cassia must already be awake because my stuff was back here already.

 

“Where is Cassia?” I asked Kyle.

“Trying to cover a hickey,” Kyle informed me, “She’s gorgeous and I cannot have some mega superstar trying to steal my angel away.”

“Maybe try to clean up the nose,” Mika threw a box of tissues at him, “That way you’ll be actual competition.”

“He’s such a nice guy, Emmy I can see why you liked him,” Kyle took two of the tissues and stuffed one up each nostril.

 

“Leave those in for when Cassia gets back,” I suggested, “You’ll assure her of your courage to wear whatever is trending.”

“Even nostril tissues,” Neill got in, “Good morning, Emmy and where did you sleep last night?”

“In your seat,” I shrugged.

“If you don’t tell dad then I won’t,” he made a face, “So you and Mika both slept in the car and you didn’t kill each other.”

“And she didn’t set the car on fire,” Mika remarked and I kicked him, “Just stating facts, Foster.”

“Keep them to yourself, Townsend I am not sleepy anymore,” I countered.

 

“Now this is the Emmy we adore,” Max messed up my hair, “Sad and quiet Emmy is less argumentative.”

“She just got out of the hospital after almost flat-lining,” Michael snapped and Max whacked him upside the head.

 

“Calm down, she’s alright now and we’re going to try and keep it that way,” Neill closed his door, “Deke is driving and I am the navigator, Em so if you need anything ask Mika and don’t be alarmed if you look back and see Cassia and Kyle kissing while she drives the car.”

“She’s a great multi-tasker,” Jed sat in the back with Max, “We should practice for tonight.”

“Jed, you better hope your guitar skills aren’t affected by your new addiction or there’ll be hell to pay,” I threatened.

“So are she and Mika co-road managers now?” Jed inquired.

 

“Em, you know at the festival; you can make up cool backgrounds for us studs,” Max suggested, “Myself, Jed and Mika all need hot dates and in exchange we’ll find you some rebound sex.”

“That’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me,” I slapped his hand off my shoulder, “I’ll find you a girl, but you have to promise that you know about birds and the bees already.”

“Please give him the sex talk,” Jed pleaded.

“No,” Deke and Neill shouted as we headed out onto the highway.

 

“I can find my own date,” Mika insisted and I felt a little hurt, but I held it in.


© 2015 Lorena Rose


Author's Note

Lorena Rose
what flaws do you see?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on April 27, 2015
Last Updated on April 27, 2015
Tags: music, fiction, life, writing, song, drums, power, love, rules


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose