Chapter 9: Trainwrecks

Chapter 9: Trainwrecks

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

I couldn’t help thinking about Marianne as we headed into the next big city. I knew how it felt to want to end it, but being unsuccessful; not everyone had a Neill to come and guide them. She fell into the virtual trap that was the Internet and let it take her over. I’d read about cases like this, but seeing the real thing was a harsh reality. I needed to stop thinking about it. I stole Mika’s book and started editing his lyrics while he talked to his parents on the phone. “I can’t come home,” he said seriously, “Yes, I know it’s Davie’s birthday.”

“F**k, Davie,” Jed muttered.

“No, mom I am on the road and I think I am losing the signal on this end,” he said rubbing a candy wrapper against the microphone, “Hello.”

“She won’t fall for it,” I commented.

 

“How do you know Emmeline is with us,” he asked confused then his lips turned down, “Hold on.” He climbed into the back seat and handed me the phone.

“Beverly,” I said politely, “How are you?”

“Trying to catch my boy’s attention again, Emmeline,” Beverly remarked.

“Not again,” I sighed, “I am on this trip to hang out with old friends, Beverly and I have no intention of catching Michael’s attention.”

“The picture on the band’s blog would beg to differ,” she informed me.

“Why would their blog make a difference?” I frowned.

“You must be aware that there are pictures of you two on there,” she said sternly, “I don’t think you two work together; there is too much bad blood and last time it was his car, the next time it could be him.”

 

“I am not going to hurt Mika,” I retorted then I peered over Mika’s shoulder at the images of Mika and I in close proximity and when he lent me his jacket. I read the headline.

 

Emmeline Foster: Competition or Suicidal Train wreck?

post by maritownsendangel

 

“This is over the line,” Mika said flipping through them, “She got her hands on all of Em’s history.”

“Don’t talk about me like I am not here, I see it,” I stole the phone, “What the hell is she trying to do?”

“Target you,” he replied, “She thinks of you as a threat because I talk to you and won’t get anywhere near her if possible.”

“Thanks because she’s bat crap crazy,” I said switching over to my email account.

“What are you doing?” he questioned.

“She has my files, but my email is under a pen-name I don’t give out,” I flipped through my gallery of photos, “She cannot know that we already knew each other yet and since I am already a target; I want to prove that I don’t take kindly to slander.”

 

“That doesn’t exactly why you’re looking through old photos,” he said and I hid the camera screen from him while I copied the picture over to the blog logging in with my Blogger account and sent it out. “Let me see,” he took the phone, “Are you trying to start a war?”

“If I am going to get Marianne to talk to me then I have to be ‘worthy of her time’.”

“Why would you want to talk to her?” all of the guys shouted at once.

“Because I have a feeling she could change and maybe get over this addiction of hers,” I said running a hand through my hair, “We could all get one chance at redemption, right.”

 

“Why would you need redemption?” Michael sat down next to me, “You don’t need to redeem yourself to any of us; we all love you and you forgive the people you love.”

“Love,” I felt my heart skip a beat.

“You’re like the little sister of the group,” Kyle explained, “We functioned before, but you give us plenty of entertainment and in truth, you boost the hotness scale of the entire group.”

“Only because I frustrate Neill, Deke and Mika so much that their hair is always in perfect disarray,” I winked at Mika, “You’re welcome for that, lover boy.”

 

“Why can’t you write like you talk?” Mika pointed at my book, “You think I am tense, but you have yourself stuck in between worlds and you need to focus on this one a little.”

“Or more of this will happen,” I waved the phone in front of him.

“Write Marianne an apology and a peace offer if you wish,” he suggested, “Then write to your mother because I know you don’t want to live with her in Seattle.”

“I’d rather die,” I agreed.

“Write her a letter, or a short story,” he continued, “I don’t feel the need to act out physically because I let it go.”

“You know you can do both,” Jed turned around; “Throw a punch once in awhile.”

 

“If he does that, the band would be tainted with violence,” I showed Jed earlier pictures on the blog, “You’re perfect angels so far and that is how I intend to keep you all looking because as of this moment, I have decided you all need a manager.”

“A manager,” Mika said biting his lip to keep from laughing, “You’re going to work for us.”

“Work with you,” I countered, “I cannot do the heavy lifting, but I can help with posts for the blog, booking jigs and hotels.”

“You could take some photographs too,” Neill called from the front, “You took Photography as your elective in high school and you have a keen eye and a creative whimsy, little sister.”

 

“We’ll pick you up a quality camera tomorrow,” Mika agreed, “This part time work is a great idea.”

“I get those once in awhile,” I raised an eyebrow.

“I know you do,” he rolled his eyes.

“Just so you all know; I am going to be a ruthless dictator and there’s nothing you can do about it,” I joked.

“What’s new?” Jed said, “So where are we performing next, oh wise and powerful mistress?”

“I’ll ask my assistant,” I looked to Mika.

“Assistant,” he asked giving me a look.

 

“Give me the itinerary I know you have,” I held out my hand and he just crossed his arms, “Come on, Townsend.”

“You know I didn’t hear you say please,” he remarked.

“Maybe your ears are full of wax,” I snatched his phone away.

“Hey,” he said and I saw someone was calling him. The name on the caller ID was April.

“Who is this?” I picked up the phone and Michael tried to take the phone back by force.

 

“Hello, this is April,” she said quietly, “You must be Emmeline. Would it be okay if I talked to Mike?”

“Mike,” I commented pushing Michael away.

“Yes, I know he’s visiting with you and Neill,” she answered, “He is a brilliant young doctor though and my father wants to offer him a job in LA.”

“Doctor,” I remarked, “So this is a business call.”

 

“Is that April?” Mika hissed trying to steal the phone.

“No, actually Mike and I meet online and we’ve been dating for six weeks now,” she explained, “As his cousin, I know you’re not interested in him, but he is handsome and smart.”

“Not as smart as he thinks he is,” I commented.

“I adore him even though his history with girls is non-existent,” she laughed, “I hope to come to one of the concerts when you hit New York.”

“Non-existent,” I said.

“Yes, he said all his relationships were only ever flings,” she explained then Mika pinned me down stealing the phone.

“April,” he said holding the phone with his shoulder to keep me from resisting, “No, she was just playing keep away with the phone; yes, I miss you too.”

“Gross,” Kyle made a face.

 

“We’re just sitting around; I think that Emmeline is healing up better now,” Mika said and I looked away from him, “Your father, huh.” He peered down at me then let go of my arms and got off me. “I would be honoured, but I really have to focus on creating my own career,” he commented.

“Career,” Jed snorted.

“I wish I could see you again too,” he said, “I understand that you’re tired of waiting, but it won’t be forever; just a number of days.”

 

“He has to tell her eventually,” Deke whispered to Neill and my brother nodded.

“I know you better get back to work; I’ll see you soon. Yes, I adore you.”

“Right,” I looked out the window feeling my anger boiling up inside of me.

“Bye,” he hung up and then it was silent in the car for a moment.

 

“Eventually she’s going to figure out you’re in a band, Mika,” Neill said.

“I know,” he sighed, “She wants me to work for her father; the pay at his hospital is ridiculous.”

“You better take it then,” I continued to look out the window, “A foundation of lies isn’t stable, but disobeying her daddy’s wishes could destroy it all.”

“What do you know about it?” he said, “I am trying to do the right thing; I have a bad history with women.”

“Flings, you mean,” I finally looked at him, “So our years was a fling.”

“You’re not upset about that,” he complained.

 

“Actually, I am,” I raised my voice, “You act like you’re dedicated to the band, but you’re considering taking her offer.”

“No, I’m not,” he argued.

“Don’t deny it,” I snapped.

“I am not denying anything; you are,” he retorted, “This isn’t about the band; it’s about me and you, I want a real relationship and you’re jealous of someone getting a happy ending.”

 

“I am not jealous,” I grabbed my notebook, “You are a coward; you always were and I think you should go to back to LA and have a nice ‘happy ending’.”

“I think you should stop pretending you had a boyfriend after me; I know for a fact all of your ‘relationships are imaginary,” he shouted, “You think I am faking my life; look in the mirror.”

“If I am fake, then it’s your fault,” I replied, “Deke, I am switching seats.”


© 2015 Lorena Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on April 27, 2015
Last Updated on April 27, 2015
Tags: music, fiction, life, writing, song, drums, power, love, rules


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose