Chapter 19 - Old Friends

Chapter 19 - Old Friends

A Chapter by Patricia Gayle
"

Caleb runs into a couple of old friends and finally gets a job.

"

          Caleb sat at the bar.  He stared down into his glass.  Maybe, he thought, they should have just kept moving.  Stopping in New York was a mistake.  It was too close to Meyers’ influence.  Moving on further west would get them out of his reach.  Caleb would surely find work farther west where no one knew him or Meyers, or even cared.  If only he could convince Elizabeth.  He shook the thought, and drank down what remained in his glass.  He could never convince her to move again.  It would only be a waste to try.  The barkeep poured another drink and moved down the bar to a new customer. 

          Caleb felt a heavy hand on his shoulder.  He set his glass down slowly.  Suddenly remembering the dream he had while still in Providence.  He was struck with panic.  His heart began to pound hard in his chest and he thought he could hear it over the noisy room.  He put his hand on his gun and turned around slowly.

          “Well, I’ll be damned!  It really is you!”

          Caleb looked up into the smiling face of Frank Call.  The panic subsided and he shook his hand, relieved it was his old friend.  Frank sat down on a stool next to him.

          “I thought I was looking at a ghost for a moment,” he said with a chuckle.

          “What the hell are you doin’ around here?”  Caleb asked with a grin.  “Thought you were goin’ out to California to dig for gold.”

          “I got this far and started hearin’ rumor that all them mountains been plum cleaned out.  Jess and I stopped for a bit and then we ran into ol’ Jim.  Meyers ain’t a threat no more and California sounded a tad too risky right now.  Ya know there so many folks make a run out there for that gold they runnin’ outta food.  I ain’t never been much fond of missin’ meals if I can help it,” he chuckled.  “We decided it might be best if we stayed out here a while.  Got ourselves a purty nice job.  How’s ‘bout ya’self?”

          “Ain’t been here but a couple of weeks.  Elizabeth and I spent the last few years in Providence, just a ways south of Boston.”

          “So her old man finally let her go?”

          “No, she ran off.  She came and found me and we went on to Providence.”

          “Married her, I suppose?  Got a whole passel of little ones?” Frank asked with a smile.

          “Married, yes.  Still workin’ on the little ones,” Caleb answered with a chuckle.  “She’s given me a daughter and a son.”  He took a long drink and then looked down at the floor a moment.  “Lost the boy,” he said regretfully.  “Lost him before he had hardly taken his first breath.  That’s why we came here.  Couldn’t bear to stay there after that.”

          “Sorry ta hear ‘bout that,” Frank told him with a pat on the shoulder.  “Ya got ya’self a job and a place to stay?”

          “Elizabeth’s workin’ in the home of some rich couple named Garland.  They’re givin’ us a small place to stay for the moment.  Don’t think we can stay too long if our family grows any more.  I’ve been lookin’ for work since we got here.  Meyers’ brother lives here.  Went to him first.  Elizabeth insisted he’d give me work.  Guess just goin’ up there was a mistake.  They found out I was in town and now ain’t nobody, including Mr. Garland, will give me a job.”

          “Well that ol’ man Jess and I are workin’ fer don’t care nothin’ ‘bout those rich b******s around here.  Says they can’t push him ‘round none.  Says they ain’t no better than him.  Says he could live in a house just as big and fancy as the ones they livin’ in but he ain’t got no need for nothin’ like that.  All he needs is a roof over his head in the rain, a meal a day in his belly, an’ some firewood in the winter and he’s doin’ jus’ fine.  Ya meet us out at the river at sunrise and we’ll introduce ya ta him.  He’s always lookin’ fer more help an’ wouldn’t be a bit bothered ta give ya work.”

          “What is it you boys do out there?”

          “Ol’ man’s got a small freightin’ business goin’.  Folks bring him stuff an’ we load it onto barges an’ boats an’ send it up an’ down the river.  Even get to ride on ‘em things once in a while.  Be gone up the river a day or two and come home with a new shipment.  Sure are some purty places up that river.”

         

          The following morning Caleb rode down to the river as the sun began to rise.  He rode up along the river’s shore until he reached a long wooden building.  A large dock stretched out onto the water to the right.  A barge sat docked on one side and several men scrambled back and forth across the decks, loading crates. 

          As Caleb tied his horse, three men stepped out of the building.  He looked up to see Frank, Jess, and a tall man.  The man, who appeared to be nearing 50, climbed down the steps, his crooked cane tapping loudly on the bleached wood.  In the early morning sun, his hair glowed bright red.  He wore dirty, faded blue and white striped overalls and a light grey shirt with the sleeves folded to his elbows.  The knees of his pants were ripped exposing his pale pink skin. 

          “Caleb!”  Frank called from the doorway.  He followed the man down the steps to meet Caleb.  “Mr. O’Connor, this here’s Caleb Campbell.  He’s an ol’ friend from Boston.  Tol’ me he was lookin’ fer work.  I tol’ him you were lookin’ ta hire more men.”

         The old man smiled toothlessly and extended his hand. “I’m Sean O’Connor,” he greeted.  Caleb shook his hand firmly. “Mister Campbell, I got plenty o’ work ya can do.  Jus’ be here ‘arly, ‘fore the sun rises.”

          “Thank you, sir.” 

          “These lads’ll show ya what ta do.  Pay ‘s on Sat’day evenin’ ‘fore ya head home.  T’n doll’rs a wek if ya show up ‘arly e’ery day.”  He turned and went slowly up the steps, then turned back.  “Ya got y’self a lass an’ wee ones?”

          “Yes sir.”

          “Go home ‘fore sun set an’ don’t come here on s’nday.  Ya spen’ ‘at time with ‘em.  Grow fast, they do.”  He grinned and then made his way back into the building.

          Jess shook Caleb’s hand.  “Ya ain’t startin’ up no more trouble fer us are ya?”  He asked with a chuckle.  “This ol’ man’s a good one ta work fer.  Jus’ three things he don’t tolerate none.  Drinkin’, Swearin’, an’ Fightin’.  Ya wantin’ to stay in work ya ain’t gonna let him catch ya doin’ none of those.”

          Frank chuckled, “An’ ol’ Jess here ‘bout to go stir crazy.  That’s why he takes them boat trips so often.  Gets him outta reach of the ol’ man.  Easier to slip up without bein’ caught when yer a day or two up the river.”

          Jess grinned widely, showing his teeth.  The expression on his face resembled that of a mischievous child.

 

          Caleb stepped in the door of the small cottage as the sun sank slowly in the evening sky.

          “You sure are early,” Elizabeth called over her shoulder from the stove across the room.  “You find work?” she asked turning toward him.  She wiped sweat from her forehead with her sleeve.  Caleb started to close the door.  “Leave it.  It’s hot in here,” she told him.

          “Sure did,” he answered proudly, pulling a chair in front of the door to hold it open.  He walked across the room and put his hands on Elizabeth’s waist.

          “Where?  Doin’ what?” she asked excitedly.

          “Workin’ down at the river. Freightin’.”  He pulled her closely and kissed her firmly on the lips.  “You remember ol’ Frank Call?  Man workin’ for your pa in Boston.  Gaurdin’ the property.”

          She thought a moment and nodded.

          “Well, I ran into him in town last night.  Said the ol’ man he and his brother were workin’ for was lookin’ for more workers.  Went out this mornin’ ‘bout it and he hired me on.  Pays ten dollars a week and he’s given me Sundays to spend at home.”

          Elizabeth smiled wide.  She threw her arms around his neck and planted a kiss on him, almost knocking him off his feet.

 

          Elizabeth sat on the edge of the bed and brushed her long hair in the low lamplight.  Caleb laid at her side a moment and watched.  He sat up slowly and reached around her, gently taking the brush out of her hands.  She turned toward him, and he put his hand on her cheek, kissing her lightly.

          “We’re goin’ to be alright,” he told her with a smile.

          She smiled back and her eyes twinkled.  “I’m glad,” she told him.  “I was a little afraid that if you didn’t find work soon we’d have to move on again.”

          “Do you like it here?”

          “Well it certainly isn’t Providence…or Boston…but yes, I suppose I do.  And Hannah likes it.  Mrs. Garland’s youngest daughter is only two years older than Hannah and they play together while I work.  The other day she gave Hannah a doll; upon Mrs. Garland’s approval, of course.  Hannah absolutely adores that doll.  She carries it with her everywhere.”

          Caleb wrapped his arms around her tightly and kissed her on the forehead.

          “Things finally seem perfect again,” she told him.  She put her arms around his neck and kissed him.  “Perfect,” she whispered with a smile.

 

 



© 2010 Patricia Gayle


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

414 Views
Added on January 2, 2010
Last Updated on March 19, 2010

Burning Bridges


Author

Patricia Gayle
Patricia Gayle

College Station, TX



About
I'm 25 and have been writing for close to 10 years now. Writing is my release...my therapy. I've written and self published one book, a regional non-fiction I completed in the summer after highschoo.. more..

Writing