Stage Two

Stage Two

A Chapter by Rory CJ Frankson
"

A premature proposal

"

Along the way back to the corner of the path where I’d seen Yevette, leaning against that log. Lost to her misery, what ever it was. We’d walked as if in no great hurry to get anywhere and there was some banter. But mostly, we just strolled along the edge of the lake holding hands. With it’s feeling, so natural. There were moments when Yevette’s attentions were not on me, that I... enjoyed the most. To just watch her being herself and at some point. She’d caught me, to blush and say, ‘cut that out’ and I. Fain stupidity reply, ‘what’, for her to laugh shyly and say, ‘you know very well, Mister’! Me, I just shrugged my shoulders repentantly and on we went along the beach. Perfectly happy watching the lake, the spectacular mountain vistas. Set against perfect blue sky with its fluffy white clouds, and well not to mention. My favorite point, of observation...

The pretty Yevette!

It was getting to the point where the sun would go behind the mountains, and in the Rockies. It then got dark, fairly quickly. I really wanted to get to our destination before that could take place, and now it was looking as though we’d make it.

At the junction where the paths met, Yevette’s hand pulled toward the parking lot and, I stopped her. “No, it’s this way”, I motioned to the path that led to the right, “it’s not far. You know the marina and docks, at the breakwater”, I queried and Yevette nodded that indeed, she did. “Well, that’s where were off to”!

So, off down that right hand path we went. In some ways, I was finding Yevette a spontaneous adventurer. She seemed to look forward to surprises, with a sheer eagerness. Which were almost child like and couldn’t wait to see where we’d end up, a true traveler. 'What’s around the next corner, let’s go see shall we.' Then do just that. Made my think of my crazy guardians Lillian and Ted, and childhood memories of adventures in Mexico.

At the marina, we stopped at the entrance shack. As the attendant came out and I showed him my slip card, marked 42a and he just nodded us through. To then go back to whatever he was doing, to stave off the boredom of early season. There was a lot of very expensive watercraft, held in this breakwater. The kid being 24 hr. security supplied by the marina, I empathized to look on his ‘just another day’ bored face, as he moved away.

Yevette and I walked the dock and she was intently studying all the beautiful boats that rich people own, and again. Came the feeling, that she hadn’t spent a whole lot of time around these kinds of luxuries. Some of those looks, even suggested she didn’t care too either. It was almost a disdain, and at one point confirmed with an under the breath comment, ‘shameful waste’ s said with a kind of disgusted shake of her head.

I said nothing, as we’d arrived where I’d wanted to take her, and now uncertain as to just how she would react. I needn’t have worried. We stood beside slip 42a, which held a marvel. Built by hand, by none other than Ben O’Grady. Just one of his winter boredom saviors and there was another, just like it. A copy of a 20’s wooden speed boat cruiser, a Maple Lap Straight hull and Teak and Maple, top deck. All brass hardware and running lights, the whole boat polished to a wicked sheen. “Well, what do you think Yevette. A thing beauty, or what”? I was anxious to hear her response, hoping her previous comment hadn’t colored my showing it to her.

It’s gorgeous, Troy. Is it yours”? She looked up, as she’d leaned over to run her hands over its smooth prow to query again, “you, own this”?     

Again, a comment, that worried me just a little. I wish, no! It belongs to the people I’m here to do business with. The family O’Grady, and they kindly lent it to me while I’m here”!

They own Teal Haven Lodge, don’t they”, she said to nod thoughtfully. “Yes, I’ve heard of them and that it is beautiful up there, with the Hot Springs and all”, her eyes back on admiring the slightly bobbing craft.

Exactly Yevette. It is beautiful…” and cut off, as Yevette pulled on my sleeve.

            “You know, I’ve seen this boat”! I’d said ‘you did’, to which she replied quickly. “Yes, three days ago. I was on the point as it came round and watched it throbbing by. All the way almost to the marina, where it disappeared”. Yevette got a funny look on her face. “I couldn’t see, who drove it. But I remembered thinking, wouldn’t mind going for a ride with that guy. In his boat”. Pulled another remarkable face, “it was a weird feeling… like deja’vu, Troy”! She was looking at me, without really seeing me as though looking  inside... at some inner mystery.

That was me Yevette”, I said. “Coming back from surveying the O’Grady’s Lodge and Holdings”! I couldn’t describe the electric energy that was coursing through me, and… Yevette. Was glowing again. I tried to ignore it and go on, with what I had in mind. “Do you want to go for a ride with me in this boat… Yevette”?

Right now”, her eyes grew huge, in response, “it’s almost dark”, no glow.

No Yevette, not right now. Tomorrow”. Held my breath to continue, no chance.

I have to work tomorrow, Troy”, looking really disappointed, with the obvious.

I was almost shaking, but pushed on. “Listen, I have a meeting up there tomorrow and I want to take you there, with me”. I stopped her before the interruption, I knew was on the way and gush looking pleadingly into her eyes. “Miss a day, Yevette! They know at work that you had an upsetting phone call and left early, because of it. I think they would probably understand, If you didn’t feel like working”.

That’s true”, she replied, “although, not exactly honest”, then came an  immediate simple acceptance. “Ok”, her dimpled smile arrived, “I’d love to go for a ride in a boat, with this guy”! Patted my chest with a warm hand, and left it there. Our bodies, so close. But still spirits… miles, apart. Yevette smiled deep into my soul, and the complexities of my feelings. Only grew.



© 2014 Rory CJ Frankson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

- Our bodies, so close. But still spirits… miles, apart. Yevette smiled deep into my soul, and the complexities of my feelings. Only grew. -

As if I had been there with them - you describe every scene so marvelously that one feels like being a part of it. More and more I begin to be intrigued by Yevette - who is she - what makes her sad - what was her life like before - ...
I like it that Troy is a confident man, but in her closeness he becomes so nervous and insecure.Great chapter!

Posted 13 Years Ago


The woman is getting more interesting. It seem she may have some problems. I like how you describe each scene. Her life may have a few twist and turns. A very good chapter.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

657 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 4, 2010
Last Updated on October 24, 2014


Author

Rory CJ Frankson
Rory CJ Frankson

Vernon, British Colombia, Canada



About
It's all about the music really. I'm a Writer / Musician. Write On / Right On! Peace... Romon in Review Out Post & Creative Standard Productions. Romonx Associated Artists Rory CJ Frankson .. more..

Writing