The Clock

The Clock

A Chapter by Summer'sBreeze
"

:P i just felt like writting

"

I run up the attic stair well, my heart racing as I tried to keep my footfalls silent on the old oak steps. My hands scanned the walls for a light switch, finding it when I was only inches from the attic door. Turning the lights off quickly, I grasp the brass doorknob and slipped into our grandparents’ attic.

 Damon, my fifteen year old brother, and I were trying to entertain ourselves with a little game of hide-and-seek in our grandparents three-story farmhouse.

 “Hannah!” Damon’s voice call out from somewhere in the house. “You can’t hide from me for long!”

 “Let’s play a game.” I mutter to myself in a bad imitation of Damon. “Just a small game before they get back from town.” He pleaded.

 “We are in so much trouble when they find out.” I growl, trying to find my way around the dust cluttered room.

 Our grandparents never liked us playing inside the house, and it was utmost forbidden to enter the attic. But we were bored so we play a few harmless rounds downstairs, only when Damon somehow always kept finding me did I decided that desperate times led for desperate measures, plus there was no way I was going to let him gloat all weekend about his wins.

 I step lightly around piles of cardboard boxes and white cloaked items until I reached the only window in the attic.

 It was a small window, it’s glass stained yellow with age and covered with more dust. I take a finger and pull it through the dust. 

 Making a heart here, a smiley face there, and a house in the upper corner.

 I smile at my work, then turn around to look at the things scattered around the room. There’s something under a sheet that looks similar couch, and when I pull the white sheet up enough to peek I find a plaid colored fabric couch that makes me want to gag. Placing the sheet back I wonder how anyone could want something that ugly let alone keep it up here for so long.

 I pull the nearest box over to the couch so that I can sit down and sift through its contents. The aging tape pops open easily and I grab the first thing I see: a doll.

 It’s hair was ink black. Two buttons for eyes or had two buttons for eyes is a better way to put it, now only one barely hangs by a thread. Instead of red lipstick, like most of mine wore, the doll’s face was painted with a dark smudge that made it look like it was screaming in agony. It’s dress was made from a blood red lace.

 I quickly drop the doll back into the box, inverting my eyes from the horrid sight of the thing when I reach for the second item.

 I held the golden candlestick in both of my hands, polishing one end with my thumb to read the writing that ran up and down the cold metal stick.

 I read out loud the saying. “Whoever shall light the flame of the Devil’s candlestick shall feel the scorch of the seven reigns of hell.”

 I gently set the object back into box, my heartbeat starting to race as I took in my next finding.

 I sat the large book in my lap, taking in the silver engravings on the leather cover, the book was locked so I couldn‘t open the book to see its writing. My finger brushed the cover of the book, and over something that to me resembled a tree knot. I leaned in closer towards the strange knot thing, and that’s when I find out that the knot is not a knot but an eye.

 An eye that happened to open just when I was a hairsbreadth away from it.

 I scream, tossing the book/eye thing back into the box while I also tossed myself over the arm of the chair, landing with a thunk on the hard floor. I kept my hand tightly clamped over my mouth to keep from screaming again.

 Silence replaced my scream, making it seem almost as deafening.

Okay, so what?

I tell my panicking self. They have few oddities in their attic, who doesn’t? Grandpa and Grandma could of just picked the strange things from magician’s yard-sale or something. They always loves that kind of crap and stuff.

 Tick…Clump…Tock.

My breath caught as this new sound startled me.

 Tick…Clump…Tock.

Turning my head slightly to the side, my cheek brushed against another cloth covered object. My hand shakes as I lift the white cloth a bit, scared of what I might find this time. Through my fear is cooled quickly when I uncover an old clock from under the sheet.

 A breath taking, beautiful crown mold of an owl with it’s wings spread wide sat on the top of the clock. In the middle it had twelve carefully carved numbers on the polished round surface. Very slowly the minute hand moved, it’s heart just barley beating.

 Tick…Clump…Tock.

I pull out the tiny drawer, hidden near the bottom, and take the key I’ve seen my mother use all the time with our clocks back home.

 On the handle I notice a piece of paper tied to the silver key, gently I coax the string from the knot and unfold the paper.

 

 Turn this key thrice in the daily hour.

For the minute you turn twice clockwise and once counter.

    You found the key to turn back time.

 

How strange. I thought.

 I took the key and placed it into the hour hand slot, turning it three times and humoring myself by repeating the first line. “Turn this key thrice in the daily hour.”

 I had just turn the key once clockwise in the minute hand slot when I heard Damon.

 “Hannah!“ Damon shouted. “They’re back!” But I ignored him.

“For the minute you turn twice clockwise and once counter.” I spoke aloud, turning the key once more clockwise then counter. “You found the key to turn back time.”

 The attic door swung open with a clang and Grandpa stood in the doorway. “Hannah, what are you doing?” He demanded.

 The floor beneath us began to tremble, a gentle tremble at first, like when ever a big truck would pass by the house, but then it turned into an all out earthquake.

 Grandpa clutched the door frame in attempt to stay upright. “What have you done!?”

 “I…I don’t know!” I scream, holding the armrest tightly as the severe shudders continued.

 The clock let out three loud dongs, and I watched in horror as the owl’s eyes glowed bright red before everything flashed white.

 

 

 I gasp and sit upright, my heart beating franticly as I searched the attic for Grandpa. “Grandpa?” I call out, still sitting in the floor.

 I scan over the room noticing nothing except that the ugly couch is gone.

 Good riddance. I think, making my way to the stairwell.

“Grandpa! Grandma!” I call down, and receiving no answer. “Damon?”

 I take each step slowly, thinking that Damon was somewhere hiding, waiting to get a good scare out of me.

 This is getting strange. I think, walking through the quiet house.

“Hello?” I call out, making my way through the hall. “This isn’t funny anymore.”

 I nearly jump out of my skin when I hear Grandma’s familiar voice coming from the living room. “Oh, Charles! I just love it!”

 “Grandma?” I start running toward the living room, and gasp at the sight I saw.

 Grandma and Grandpa stood together, admiring the ugly plaid couch in the living room. That’s not the only strange thing I noticed. I also noted how both of my Grandparents looked ten years younger. Grandma’s hair was more auburn and Grandpa actually had hair elsewhere from his nose.

 Grandpa chuckled. “It’s certainly a bold fashion statement.”

The next instant the doorbell rang, as I desperately tried to make sense of all this.

 Grandma rushed to the front door. “Amelia! Derek!” I heard her exclaim.

 Amelia?…Derek?

“Come in, come in!” Grandma ushered them into the living room.

 “Mom? Dad?” I say, but they act as if I’m not even here.

“You’re just in time to see our new couch.” Grandma beamed.

 “Oh….um…wow, Mother.” My mom stuttered as she took in their couch. “It’s…” She struggled for the right word.

 “I know, isn’t it beautiful.” Grandma awed.

My mom smiled. “Whatever you say.” And for the first time I notice something in her hand, wrapped in a teddy bear blanket.

 Mom lifted the blanket and I stared wide eyed at the baby inside the carrier.

 She cooed. “Looky what your Grandparents got, Damon.”



© 2013 Summer'sBreeze


Author's Note

Summer'sBreeze
I found an old clock in our basement and thus this story was born :P

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Creative. I like how you turned something relatively plain (to most) into this story. The ending was a little odd and abrupt but I get why it ended there. Maybe you should tun this into a little novella? I'd enjoy reading it! Thanks for sharing Breeze!

YT,

Summer

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh my gosh this is just amazing I MUST READ ON!!!! this is brilliant Breezy!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

420 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 26, 2012
Last Updated on January 7, 2013


Author

Summer'sBreeze
Summer'sBreeze

Stalking Ally's characters, fighting the rebellion with Katniss, Shadowhunting in the Victorian era, fighting titans, hiding in one of the Bandit's closets, jumping over clouds with Jip, wondering how much more can I fit in th, AL



About
***08/01/14*** Heeelllllooooooooo :D Yep, still here WC! I plan on becoming more active so I'm willing to take any read request just shoot a comment/mail my way to do so. I'll be sure to .. more..

Writing