Chapter 7: The Warning.

Chapter 7: The Warning.

A Chapter by Calypso
"

Things are starting to pick up. Stay with it and in the next few chapters the story will really start.

"

    I was up and ready for work by the time Mom came into the kitchin. She had on her scrubs and lab jacket, but her hair was up in a towel and she was sporting balck bags under her eyes.

    "Morning." I said.

    Mom walked to the coffee pot and pured some coffee before answering. "Morning. Have you already ate?"

    "I got pancakes at Mrs. Wright's. Once Kiya's better I'll go more often."

    "Will... I have good news and bad news." Mom said this looking at me. She often does the 'good news, bad news' retine on her patients, so naturally  sometimes that's how she'll deliver really bad news.

    I breaced my self. "What is it Mom?"

    "Normally I would give the bad news first, but..." She looked down at the iron on of her name. "This time is different."

    "Go ahead." I said uneasily.

    "Well today you and I will get paid. Maybe when I get off at 5 we'll go the mall. Hun? Get new work clothes for you? Eat your favorite place?"

    "Fine. Sure. Give the negative side."

    Mom pures her lips and looked me stright in the eye. "Kiya isn't doing too well."

    "Too well? What do you mean by that?"

    "The dcotors are starting to wonder if Kiya will pull through this."

    "Do you mean she might die?" My voice was strong with emotion.

    "Well... yes. Her body isn't strong enough for this."

    "What?" I yelled. "How do you know?"

    "The hosptal called last night around 1. Kiya was starting to choke on the fluids in her lungs. Will she's so weak. Yesterday they had moved her to another place. She only has a slight chance to live. Kiya only woke up once, and that was only for an hour."

    "There's a chance she'll be fine." I spat out hopefully.  I started up stairs and quickly I changed out of work clothes into jeans and blouse.

    Mom had followed me in to my room. "Where are you going?"

    "To the hospital." I said simply. "I have to see Kiya."

    "No you're going to work." She demanded.

    "I fell sick Mom, I can't go to work."

    "Then go and let me exmain you if you're sick." Mom grabbed my elbows amd sat down on my bed. When she sat down I was pulled.

     "Not physically." I mumbled. "But I'm sick of worrying."

    "Will I understand, but things don't look well for Kiya. Okay? You need to keep going on with your life for now. Please don't start grieving until she dies Will, okay? Please go to work."

    "But Mom please." I begged.

    "If you don't go to work what about your paycheck. It comes every two weeks you know? You'll have 200 dollars in check if you go."

    "No." I said simply. "Tell Dr. Davis to keep it or give it to you. I want Kiya."

    Mom sighed. "If you don't go I'll take... your...  paint set."

    "Go ahead. I'll get it out for you."

    "So if I drive you to the hospital you'll give me your paint set?"

    "Yes." I said bolting to get it. I sat it on Mom's lap and grabbed my shoes.

    She left the room before I did, but she didn't take the set. We didn't talk until she walked me to Kiya's room. She visited Kiya for ten minutes. "Come home when you're ready." Mom said with a kiss to the forehead.

    And I took my sweet time. All I did was sit there watch Kiya breath. It hurt to watch her breath. Kiya wasn't breathing on her own, a mechine had to force the air in so that they would react enough for her to breath. Watching the raise and fall of her chest reasured me, but the beeps and buzzes made my stomach twist.

    I had to stay nevertheless just in case Kiya woke up. I fell asleep and woke up when soemone was pushing on my shoulder. "Will."

I opened my eyes to Leo. "What?"

    "You should go home. It's seven thirty and your mom is worried. You was asleep."

    "I didn't mean to. Wait a second... Did Kiya wake up?"   

    "How would I know?" He snired.

    "How'd you get here?"

    "Dr. Berryfield came over to see a patient. I happened to be at the office and my Mom said I should invite you over. You know , to show my support in your grief."

    "Kiya isn't even dead yet." I said. "I don't think she will either."

    "Well your mom's worried.  I wouldn't mind you at my house." Leo huffed.

    Angel walked in at that moment. "Hi Will how are you?" Her smile was as sweet as sugar.

    "Okay." I started to get up when a wave of dizziness hit me. I had to sit back down.  Angel took notice.

    "Are you okay?" Angel put her hand on my shoulder so I couldn't back up. "Have you ate today?"

    "Ya, I'm just dizzy. I ate breakfast today."

    "Is that all?"

    "Yes." I sighed.

    "I'll call your mom, but tomorrow I think you should go to Leo's house after he gets off." Angel said calmly. "It's late anyways."

    "I don't want to leave." I whispered.

    "But Will..."

    "What if Kiya wakes up and she's scared because on one's around? What if she wakes up...and I wouldn't be able to talk to her because I'm home."  

Angel placed her hand on my shoulder. Her eyes showed worry. "Well you should write a letter so that if she does wake up she won't be so afraid." 

I thought about that for a moment. "Sure."

Angel handed me a piece of paper and pen off of a near by table. I wrote the letter slowly and labled the front with Kiya's name in large letters. I sat it on her side table. I stood up and Angel grabbed my arm. "Come on hun. I'm taking you home."

    



© 2011 Calypso


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
Added on April 5, 2009
Last Updated on July 30, 2011


Author

Calypso
Calypso

WV



About
I'm a full time college student, part time worker. I'm two years away from my bsw! In my free time I read, write and sim. Check out my tumblr blogs some time. http://emmy-1127.tumblr.com/ more..

Writing
Sand Garden Sand Garden

A Story by Calypso