First Trip To Nome---The Beginning

First Trip To Nome---The Beginning

A Story by Willard Wells
"

1st of Series

"

It was cold my first trip to Nome. Okay, it's always cold in Nome. It was February, still going down to -55 degrees some days. This was generally a one or two-night stay. You really only needed a day, but the weather is unforgiving and so sometimes you wait for most of the day. It is still dark up above the Arctic Circle, which Nome is only about 150 miles south of. The ocean ice will not start breaking for a month or two.


The morning started with an early flight from Fairbanks to Anchorage. It makes for a long day with approximately a 500-mile flight south so I can grab a 1,000-mile flight north to Nome. The first flight in had no delays so there was hope for the day. The hotel I booked which sounded quite grand was “The Nugget Inn”. It felt good knowing I would be in a nice hotel in this barren land.


It was a clear morning as we came in over the Bering Strait. I waited about 30 minutes to get my bags, then headed outside to see if I could flag down a ride. Taxis here in a village are a car passing by. You just waved before they go on by and hope they see you. It does not matter where you're going, Nome is not that big. Paid my three bucks and took a seat and said good morning to the driver and one other. The process is a passenger in and passenger out until your destination comes up, but no hurry as you enjoy the warmth of the car.


Checked in and got a key, so I could begin my adventure at “The Nugget Inn” and Nome. I got to my room and checked it out and yes I was in for a surprise. The room was configured like a bunkhouse shack, two beds on old rusted iron frames. A small table and chair between the beds with a very small lamp. Well, this was work and not a vacation and I was at the edge of the world.


The room had the feel that it was the same as in the gold rush days. And when I pulled up the blanket to check on the sheets. I am sure they were there when Jack London was here. Since the sheets were worn down to no more than gauze. So I take my first night in the city of Nome. And sleep tight under northern lights.


© 2016 Willard Wells


Author's Note

Willard Wells
Appreciate review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The introduction reads well. I am interested to see what comes of your trip...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

Thank you David for stopping by. Try my "Cold Island Girl". It was written before this one but then .. read more
okay I'm in. I am a sucker for travel stories, and the way you took this event by event was pleasing.
Loved the critical slant your description fell into and the Jack London mention. Could have kept on reading, but in a bigger font. Tops.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

Font is always a challenge on this site. I read many that I have to enlarge and computers screens va.. read more
Willard Hi. I read this then I looked at the reviews, then had another read. I see exactly why folk see this as almost poem in paragraphs. 'And sleep tight under northern lights' reminds me somewhat of one of my favourite Paul Simon lines 'And the moon rose over an open field'.

A couple of folk gently hinted at the writing being a little loose in places; and if you've read any of my reviews for other folk you'll possibly have spotted my attention to inappropriate commas where it ought to be a full stop and new sentence, or indeed nothing when there should be a comma, etc etc. Spelling - for gaze I think, at least in UK, you mean gauze? There are a few instances, therefore, where I drew in my breath a little. But then I sort of read it with my eyes closed, semi aloud, once I'd decided where and when I wanted to pause. And then the travelog imagery just flows!

Tiny travel question - 30m wait for bags it what seems like a 2-bit town??? Someone's playing games with their passengers, surely! If I go, is there an alternative carrier?

I look forward to more chapters of the Nome diaries!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

Let me take this in reverse. The baggage is in a so to say two bit town, but this plane, a 737 is in.. read more
Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

One more note, no I cannot shut up, but the review that I think you referred to first was when this .. read more
Nigel Newman

8 Years Ago

Actually I like the poetry/prose 'crossover' style that, I'd say, emerges most in the final 2 paras... read more
I found this to be well written and very entertaining being of your adventure in Nome. Even if you weren't there for fun it can still be an adventure worth telling and reading. I enjoyed this first tale.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading and your kind words. Appreciate the time taken.
Tina Kline

8 Years Ago

You are very welcome.
' Well this was work and not a vacation and I was at the edge of the world. ' And, yes, there's always a difference!

'This is quite an adventure for me, never been to Nome, nor am likely to,. Shivered the thoughts of such a low temperature, the off the edge of the world feel of the place, near lack of welcome, the haphazard taxi-ing and the * standard of the Nugget Hotel's 'cell'! iIn spite of that, i want to read what comes next... and next..

Tis a little loose here and there, but, has a beckoning to it i rather like.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading my work. I am more suited to poems, but time for an adventure. There is one mo.. read more
emmajoy

8 Years Ago

Don't doubt it will.
Hey Will, congrats on this re- write of your first
story. It is quite an adventure you had on this one,
Made me smile :-) keep the stories coming"
Thanks E G

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I had tried writing as a poem to start and it has been waiting for me to try agai.. read more
Heh-heh, that sounds like some of the Navy barracks I had to stay in. Hopefully, you didn't have a broken window nearby like I did once. Was there room service? (I'm just kidding) Anyhow, you survived it and now to get to write entertaining tales about it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

If there had been a broken window i would not have been in the room. -50 degrees at night and a smal.. read more
Willard, I agree that this seems to need a bit of a focus and the part about the sheets seems to be a bit unfinished. Note to self: Make sure that hotels bookings in rustic areas have pictures of the rooms..lol.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


JayceeC

8 Years Ago

Well I guess after the first time it wasn't a surprise. .lol
Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

It may not have been a surprise, but every time I got in bed and looked at those sheets I laughed. I.. read more
Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

Well I took this out of the poem form and reworked it. I am venturing into more stories. Testing the.. read more
I agree. Dress warm. I did cold weather training at Fort Drum, New York. Cold is nasty. I liked the story and the adventure described. Thank you for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

Cold weather training in Alaska other than the whole state is at Fort Greely just out of Glenallen. .. read more
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.
Both my sisters and my daughter have been to Alaska. I don't plan to go.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

There's a time and a place where everyone will be and Alaska is not one of your places. It would not.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

386 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 19, 2015
Last Updated on January 15, 2016

Author

Willard Wells
Willard Wells

Sacramento, CA



About
Photography and words are my activities to try and keep an over active mind under control. For the most part my pieces have been short since that's how I'm wired. I would like to write something longe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..