Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Doesn't Really Matter : Forum : Old House, Downtown Toronto

Old House, Downtown Toronto

10 Years Ago

Alright, so my starting point is in Toronto in a large old house in the Annex in Toronto. 

Lucy: I wake up confused and in a cold sweat; I notice that there is a burning smell coming from somewhere, though I cannot pinpoint it's location. I get up, walk to the window, and see that the street is covered in debris and littered with the bodies of birds and people, though they look like they have been there a while. "Hello?" I call out nervously, quickly whipping out my hunting knife in case there are any intruders. Nobody responds. "Hello? Is someone there?" I walk out the door, which is off it's hinges, and into the street. Somewhere in the distance, I can hear a record player playing the same riff from Elton John's 'Rocket Man' over and over again (And I think it's gunna be a long, long time). I stay light on my feet as I make my way towards the music to find it's source.  

Re: Downtown Toronto

10 Years Ago

Summer: I lead August and Miharu to the closest costco I can think of, when we reach it, we find the doors baracaded by a mass of cars. "Woah, looks like people were really in a rush for the end of the world sale." I say and laugh slightly. "Any Ideas?" /////////// Dont worry luce I will make sure our paths collide.

Re: Traveling About. Ah, just like... the good old days.

10 Years Ago

August: "You want to head out now to navigate Toronto?" Summer wondered aloud at my request, turning her attention away from the park around her and towards the early afternoon sky while I returned from gathering my things for the trip, "Hm, well... No, I wouldn't have a problem with that. If there is a good time to start than it would be now, wouldn't it?"

"Great minds think alike it seems." I joked around, feeling happy to see Summer and I were not only getting along but actually thinking somewhat similar things, "I don't have a sun dial set up yet. However, if I'm judging the sun's current position right, it's only just... a little past noon. So, if we're lucky, I believe we can find several valuable resources before dusk starts to set in."

"If we're lucky?" Katana girl laughed, making me feel a bit at a loss until she explained, "I know of a place, of a Costco mart, nearby that will have most of what you vitally need. It'll have water, food, items, alot of things you described to me when I just got back from Milton."

"Great!" I exclaimed, feeling already like the day was going to be a success with Summer's knowledge of Toronto beginning to matter at once since she'd returned, "A Costco mart, you say? Yeah, nice, that'll be handy for me to know about in the future and if it's close by then that's even better!"

"Well, I wouldn't call it close by." Summer admitted, looking to return to her bike on the road, "But we should get there, get what we need, and be back long before nighttime rolls around. However, if we just stand here all day, we're not going to get anything done, are we?"

"Ha ha, I suppose not." I agreed with mirth, pausing to follow after her though as I explained, "Let me check over some things first before we head into the unknown. Well, correction, as I head into the unknown."

At that, Summer walked off to where her bike rested. In the meantime, having curious Loki return to my side as he was getting too close for tense Cerberus's comfort, I pulled out a capable survivalist compass I'd had since the ruin of the world had come alone. It had gotten as well as kept me on the right course for many a day since. That was only one of the helpful things I'd retrieved from my packs in the cloth hut that was my temporary home, mind.

Strapped onto my waist in its holster - although I wasn't the greatest fighter - was my handgun from earlier; a piece which I had inherited and learned lessons about from my... father, wasn't it? Either way, apart for a weapon along with guidance, I shouldered a satchel that held provisions, two bottles of water, some matches, gloves, just anything I would need in case of an emergency during any long journey. Only Summer - maybe ninja boy too - had an idea where this Costco rested. Until feeling familiar with how to get there myself, I couldn't take any risks in being lost, dehydrated, hurt, so on.

So, it was me, Loki, and Summer looking to venture out into the city. Now if two others were willing to join then-

"You don't need to ask me and Cerberus to join you on this little adventure again, August, Mr. Leader." Miharu stated firmly, looking away from me when I hopefully glanced towards him when ready to set out into the ruins of Toronto, "Myself and Cerberus will tag along. Even so, you should know this is an inconvenience for me. Where you need to get your things to survive from what's left of the city, I'm already set with everything I need from the forest."

"R-really?" I babble, feeling surprised at this information. Of course, I knew that the woods would have wild animals, water, and resources. Still, I had severely underestimated Miharu's capabilities in living off the land while I inquired from him, "You have everything you need in those woods?"

"Well, if I didn't have everything... I'd presently look the worse for wear, wouldn't I?" Ninja boy stated firmly, rolling his eyes in amusement at my show of ignorance of the obvious, "I'm just saying that you should be grateful to me for tagging along because, heh, I'm going out of my way to help you get what I already have. You see, I have food, water, shelter, even medicine that-"

"Okay, alright, I get it." I interjected, turning towards where Summer had gone and away from Miharu as he simply smiled a small smile at my show of impatience, "Yes, yes, you're going way out of your way to see that I survive in the desolation that was once Toronto. Thank you."

"If anything, for how I'm helping you, you should be in debt to me." Ninja boy chuckled next.

"Okay, now you're going too far with this. No one is making you come along." I immediately stated in turn, not appreciating the shot, "Thus, no one will be in debt to you. No, you and I both know you're not coming along to cause trouble. You're coming along because, for the longest time, you haven't had any contact with others until now and don't feel like losing them."

I finished my theory with a bright grin, trying to loosen Miharu up a bit in the meantime, "So, Mihu, if you come along now, it'll mean you're the bestest friend a guy could ask for during these hard times and you're not doing it for any self gain alone."

Shing!

Next I knew, my glasses were lazily flicked off of the tip of my nose into the air by Hades. With just as much insane ease as he'd done when taking my spectacles, Miharu caught my glasses and put them upon his own expression in amusement. As I tried to understand what had just happened in a matter of an eyeblink, as I attempted to tell where my spectacles had vanished to in my now slightly blurred world, I heard Hades being put away.

"You're right. If I come along now, no one will be indebted to me for having gone out of my way." I listened to ninja boy agree with me in the background. Next, he took off my glasses and somewhat roughly put them back onto my face while hissing, "Say Mihu one more time though... and that might not remain the same, August. Understand?"

"Indeed." I agreed, trying not to sound too intimidated after everything that had just happened to me at a quick pace, "No more Mihu references... Apart for just that one I just said. Either way, um, thanks then, Miharu. Thanks for coming along to help me."

"You're not in debt to me yet." Miharu stated in the middle of checking his own travel equipment - his rifle, his named knife, a pistol I hadn't noticed until now - while also checking over his provisions too, "There's no reason for thank yous or such. We don't need this to get awkward."

He then had Cerberus run ahead to wherever Summer had gone and, moving past me, he resolutely said, "Let's just go get you what you need before you dry up into a husk and blow away in the breeze like everything else had here."

At this mention of drying up into a husk, at being involuntarily reminded of the nightmare involving skeletons I'd witnessed last night, I couldn't keep from shuddering to myself. Nevertheless, quickly regaining a hold of myself, I looked down to Loki who panted back up at me.

"Well, best friend of mine." I wondered to my dog, not being able to hold back a smile as I began to follow after Miharu, "It's a rough start... but I think we're actually starting to make some friends in this devastated world of ours."

"Bark!" Loki replied, eager as me to begin taking a walk through Toronto to the Costco of interest, "Howl!"

++++++

The journey was indeed a long, tiresome, hard one that made my recently united group walk for what seemed a good hour or two. All the while, no human nor dog showed signs of tiring, of getting sick, of suffering badly. Cerberus and Loki spear-headed the travel efforts, sniffing and barking and even occasionally working together in exploring things. This sight, even though Miharu showed nothing on the outside, at least made me feel much better about the future.

Cerberus, even though noticeably smaller than my own husky, wasn't a book to be judged by his cover alone. After he had taken on Loki without a sign of fear back in High Park, I should have realized the terrier was hardy, brave, along with helpful. Truly, as Loki would go bounding off somewhere, Cerberus would dash right behind if not out in front of him with equal speed. If my dog got a bit nervous, a bit protective, Cerberus wasn't one to back off or be afraid but stand up for himself. Luckily, neither dog seemed to mind the other too badly and, soon enough, they appeared to be the best of buds in exploration.

As for us, the human beings, we traversed through emptiness, silence, the void. We hardly spoke, hardly conversed, hardly bonded like I had predicted. As for me during the walk to Costco, it was like everything else I'd seen for the past few months. Toronto was much like how Grand Rapids, Hastings, Detroit, just any other settlement had been like during my journey for the past few months. It was big, wide, a former shadow of its earlier splendor before everything had... gone down the drain.

The looming buildings on either sides of the cracking streets we traveled were much like everything else in the world; ruined, hallow, covered in foliage. Apart for High Park, I came to learn that there were many other parks throughout Toronto. Seriously, not that it was bad in the slightest, it was like parks had been the main attraction for the Canadian folk ahead of extinction. Nevertheless, the parks, the roads, the buildings, had been built for, well, nothing now. For all time, forever, they would just sit around unused.

According to my compass, Summer had been leading the party to the west almost the entire time. Taking a moment every so often to try to mark my progress or course to the Costco on the way, I looked to mark things with a noticeable "X" with a permanent black marker. However, as I first looked to do such, ninja boy was quick to lecture me on my not thinking things through. He, when seeing me mark an X on a Honda truck, slashed a better one with his hunting knife. Then, he put the blade back in its sheath, unstrapped it from his stuff and shoved it into my chest.

"A gift..." He muttered to himself while strolling away, "For Mr. I'm prepared for everything... Psh, marker fades away genius. Carve your X into that steel and you won't have the problem."

I'd only brought along my pistol as self defense. I did indeed have a knife back at camp but not one suited for what Miharu had provided me with. And it turned out that he hadn't given me Hades but another knife - another FREAKING knife - from his person entitled "Ares"; the greek god of war.

Hm, neat. A good name. An appropriate name.

Either way, taking his rough advice to heart from then on, I took to carving my X into whatever I could with Ares until, at long last and after an hour or so, Costco appeared from amid the lines of buildings. Loki along with Cerberus raced back to the group when called for next and, feeling relieved, the five of us neared the store. What was a bit funny about the place was that its entrance was... nearly blockaded with heaps upon heaps of cars.

"Well," Summer acknowledged ahead of me, looking humorously back over her shoulder to say next, "For a limited time only: end of the world specials all around! What do you think, August? Think everyone was in a rush to get to the end of the world sale, maybe?"

It took me a moment to understand her meaning was in fact a joke. What with having just traveled for a good distance, my brain was a bit worn out with recovering. Soon enough though, I caught onto the humor being used. You see, with all of the cars jumbled together and it being the end of the world... it would have been funny if Costco had been hosting an "End of the World Special Sale" before going down!

"Ha ha!" I laughed at Summer's words finally, not noticing her roll her eyes at my having taken the time to understand her, "Ha ha, End of the World Specials all around, folks! I get it! Today's hot items are chaos, emptiness, and good old Armageddon!"

At this, I looked to uncaring Miharu and questioned of him brightly, "Heh, you get it too, right, Miharu?"

"Oh yes." Ninja boy sarcastically confirmed, strolling by me with Cerberus along with rolling his eyes like Summer had without my knowing, "That was very, very, very funny. Pure genius. Comedy gold."

Then he paused a second before saying to me from over his shoulder, "Ah, well, it would have been comedy gold if comedy, the world, were still alive, wouldn't it?"

Ugh, whatever, bro. Whatever. Containing my retort to Miharu's smartness, I followed after him and Summer with Loki staying close to me. As we moved along through the throngs of parked automobiles, I couldn't keep from wondering what was up with the place around me. There were so many cars that had most likely driven so many people to this Costco in what seemed to be a hurry... and now it just didn't matter. Everything, everyone, was silent, gone, done. The End of the World Sale, if there had been one, had indeed been over and done with a time ago.

The front entrance to Costco was still accessible. However, I required a bit of aid from Miharu in getting the sliding doors to open. With him leading, ninja boy had me do as he did in sliding the points of our daggers in between the doors. Then, when pried loose, the both of us boys dragged open the front entrance. Next, as ladies and dogs were allowed to enter first - how polite of us - the doors were allowed to close back together but not before I might have gone mad for a second. See, before the front entrance shut, I swore I heard... singing in the air?

"She packed my bags last night, pre-flight... Zero hour, 9 am... And I'm gonna be as high as a kite by then."

"August?" I heard before being punched a bit roughly in the shoulder by an impatient Miharu, "Yo, Mr. I know Everything, wake up!"

"Okay, knock it off!" I snarled back, pushing ninja boy off of me but not being able to glance back outside. Next, I muttered, "She packed my bags last night?... What? Where did that tune... come from?"

"Where did what tune come from?" Miharu wondered, having heard me even thought i hadn't wanted him to, "Whatcha talking about, August? Was that walk a bit too much for you? Going a bit crazy, are we?"

"Hardy har har har." I scowled, turning away from the doors in a whirl, "You're a laugh riot, bud. And as for what tune I heard, that's none of your business unless I want it to be. Got it?"

"If that's the way it has to be." Miharu retorted, not looking like he really cared, "Like I want to join in on your muttering to myself and going mad."

"Boy. You sure know how to-"

"Guys!" Summer called from deeper inside Costco and cutting me off, her hands placed on her hips with Loki as well as Cerberus sitting obediently on either of her sides, "I thought time for standing around chatting wasn't a luxery we had! The sun isn't going to wait for us to get water, food, stuff we need! Come on! Move!"

"Easy, tiger." Miharu responded at once, not at all hurried by Summer's commands as he walked away form me, "There's still plenty of daylight left for us to get what you both need. Again, I'm good. I'm all set in the forest."

"Yeah right." Summer scolded, rolling her eyes, "Like you're not going to take a few things you need from the store now that we're here. August," She went on pulling me back into reality and from thinking about the music I'd heard, "let's go! You're the one all over getting here. Well, now we're here. Let's get to collecting what we're going to need to stay alive."

Ah, yes. Survival - food, water, medicine, the same old same old - came first over all things. However, as I followed Summer as well as Loki into the store, as Miharu ventured off with Cerberus to another section he found interesting, I couldn't keep from thinking of what I maybe had heard as the front doors had shut.

What song had that been... I knew I had heard it from somewhere during my lifetime. Maybe it was called something with Rocket Man in it? Anyway, as Summer pinched my ear painfully next and made me refocus, I had to set aside my mad thoughts for the moment. For now, I needed to find food, water, stuff that was going to keep me as well as my friends alive.

Re: Old House, Downtown Toronto

10 Years Ago

Miharu: As I wonder through the store I find a embroider section and head off to name my rifle and revolver. I sit down and begin using the embroider. After I finish I end up with my rifle being named ' Thanatos'- god of death, and my revolver ' Hypnos' god of sleep. I used the same style as the embroidery on my other weapons so it looks the same. On my way back I notice quite a bit of ammo and stock up. " I'm ready when you guys are." I call to the others then sit down with Cerberus to play with him. 

10 Years Ago

Summer: We make our way inside the ever chaotic Costco, a place fit to hold survivors for a zombie apocalypse, I notice August staring off into space. "Hey August wake up, you wanted to come here for supplies right?" He momentarily snaps out of his daydreaming to look at me, but then goes back to zoning off. What goes through that boy's head? I wonder to myself. I give a small tug on his ear and head off to the camping isle. As I walk through the warehouse of mega sized packages I notice a humming sound, it creates a tune I remember well. "Sakura, sakura..." It plays the tune on a gentle breeze, the tune that once haunted my childhood, yet came to love as i got older. Could this be what had caught August's attention earlier. I realize that it couldn't be a radio, as it did not play japanese music in Canada as well as the lack of power. This brought my attention to another idea, they might have a generator here! I pass an isle where I notice Miharu along with Loki and Cerberus. Around him was a huge pile of bullets. I pause to wonder when Costco had started selling bullets, but thought better of it and continued. After searching for a time longer I find a motion powered generator on one of the floor level shelves. "Hey guys, come here."

Re: Supplies, Supplies, Supplies Everywhere. Aw YEAH!

10 Years Ago

August: After I had allowed the Costco store's front doors to close themselves, after I had heard the weirdest song or something in the air, it was a good thing that I had Summer around. Seriously, if she hadn't been nearby to pinch me each time I lost track of what I was supposed to be doing due to me thinking too much about whatever Rocket Man song from earlier... I mean, god, I knew the lyrics were from a song who's title was right on the tip of my tongue!

And then, bless her but curse her at the same time, it would be then that Summer's hand would yank my ear as well as make me fall back into reality! Yet, what song title was I trying to remember so dang much - ow ow ow ow ow ow, okay, okay!

Apart for everything in ruin and mostly everyone having disappeared, there were some other things that I had learned about the end of the world too. For one, power had shut down which meant most of transportation, technology, food, just most of the modern world was lost nowadays. Still, if I could manage to learn it with maybe Miharu's help, the both of us could learn to siphon gas from as well as use cars. Believe it or not, the empty automobiles out in front of Costco were still in great shape and if only I had the appropriate methods... I could drive the group back to High Park. And as for food, again, with the loss of electricity, dairy products were just a myth until I or someone learned to, well, yeah, you know... with cows.

Anyway, what I had learned most of all about the end of the world was that even though the majority of it was crap, the rest was still accessible if not helpful. Seriously, like the cars were outside of Costco, the food inside the store was plentiful as well as untouched. Since the few months ago that I had begun wandering around from Grand Rapids, I had found that the trouble wasn't in finding food... it was in keeping control of myself and not overdoing in resupplying.

Honestly, the first time I had walked in a store and found it hadn't been looted clean like it would have been during a zombie apocalypse... I thanked god for the sudden good luck as well as stayed around for a full week. I took advantage of riding grocery carts down the deserted halls, had access to all of the handheld battery powered vgames I could've ever wanted, as well as hogged plenty of food items. In fact, I do believe I still have that certain Gameboy Advance I "borrowed" from that place at that time.

Nevertheless, at the end of it all, I had to move on and learn from my mistakes. Firstly, it might have been the end of the world then but I could've still died from having eaten way, way, way too much junk food and such crap which resulted in me feeling pretty bad a few days afterwards. Secondly, with me being stupid at that time, I hadn't taken advantage of the safety, travel, along with helpful stuff the store could've provided for me.

Nah, during then, I had been dumber than a plank and been stuck in the deader than dead modern age. However, it was common knowledge that losses - not victories - had made man strong over the ages and with it being the end of the world here... I had become become pretty dang strong since my first time visit to an abandoned store.

Either way, getting back onto the current subject and with Summer having gone off on her quest for supplies throughout Costco, I was determinedly focused on finding what I would need that would last me during my stay in Toronto. I needed a good enough quantity of food, beverages, meds, that would keep me from having to come back to this store in a week or two or more. The less I had to make that trip from High Park to Costco here then the better, right? And as for how I was going to bring plenty of supplies back with me to the park, that was simple when there were grocery carts available! Yeah boy!

My shopping spree or resupplying went incredibly faster than I had predicted beforehand. The store was a big enough place but I managed to acquire most of what I truly needed on my list - canned goods, large packs of bottled water, some common medications for usual ailments - before looking to move on to finding secondary things - maybe a new blanket or two, packs of various batteries, etc. Yet, when heading further into Costco, it was then that I remembered I was alone.

Where was Loki? Ah, right, he was close by when I called for him. Yet, where was Summer? Where was Miharu and Cerberus? This Costco, like all Costco stores, was a large place. However, keeping my cool, I stopped in my shopping for a moment to begin looking out for my fellows. Of course, They weren't ten so they wouldn't be lost or think about heading back to High Park without me... Would they? Nah, they wouldn't. Still, why was my heartbeat along with walking increasing in pace if I believed that then?

Finally, I located Miharu in the least. He was over by what seemed to be a weapon's vendor... in a store meant for household and other such items... with bullet cases, boxes, packages, littered on the floor all around him.

Jesus Christ. This kid - oops, teenager, don't shoot me - had a serious problem. I mean, ever since I had had a staring contest with him yesterday at the end of his rifle's gun barrel, Miharu had shown me just with his icy stare alone that he had had something of a rather grimly colorful past. A  past that may have been grim even before the end of the world had come along and made him one of the only human beings left on earth nowadays.

Truly, Miharu wore a mask over his expression during the first time we had met... but, whenever around him now and with it off, I knew that ninja boy now only wore the mask as a form of defense. Whether he was sleeping, cooking, hunting, gathering, resupplying like now, just living in general, he always and forever would keep some kind of mask on towards me along with anyone he met. All one had to do to confirm that bitter truth... was be in my shoes when I looked to greet him during his reloading of his weapons and he uncaringly turned about to give me his usual cold stare in turn.

"Dude, seriously?" I wondered aloud while approaching Miharu as he loaded his weapons, taking in all of the ammo he had been checking out since we had arrived at Costco, "I wouldn't have guessed that they had a weapon vendor in this store... Until now anyway. You do plan on talking care of this mess when you finish, right? For everyone else's convenience, I mean."

When I joked with him about cleaning up his ammo mess for "everyone's convenience", ninja boy just exchanged a not very amused glance with his dog before replying to my supposedly bland humor, "When I began looking for ammunition here, bro, I never thought I was inconveniencing anyone. I mean, with it being the end of the world and all, with no one around, I thought I had finally gotten over the worries of people judging me for... some of the things I do."

Seeing that I may have struck a nerve without trying - not that I ever tried, mind - I was quick to put in, "Okay, no, look, you don't have to start brooding over nothing, Miharu. I was just kidding with you about cleaning up this mess here. I was just having some fun. I do hope you know what fun means, right?"

"Ah, is that what you were doing, August?" Miharu sarcastically asked of me, breaking into a smile that didn't relieve me but made me worry some more, "You were just having some fun, hm? You were just placing me, my standing, in the spotlight for such a... fabulous grade A joke, were you?"

"Indeed. I was." I confirmed, crossing my arms and trying to remain patient meanwhile, "It's the end of the freaking world, friend. Excuse me for trying to brighten it up a little bit."

"Heh, brighten it up a little?" Miharu wondered, seeming to actually find my seriousness the funny part rather than my try at a joke earlier, "Right, that's good. You were just trying to brighten up the end of the now hollow, ruined, empty world, eh? Nice."

"What's with you, Miharu? What's wrong?"

At my exclamation, my honest firmness if not curiosity shown in the question, Miharu paused in what he was doing. He never looked up at me, never remove that sarcastic smile from his expression, never stopped etching some names next into his weapons. Much like how he had named his daggers Hades and Ares, he came to entitle his rifle as "Thanatos" or god of death and revolver as "Hypnos" or god of sleep.

When done with his task in engraving names upon his weapons, Miharu answered my question with a cool question of his own, "What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you, Mr. Leader? Take a look around and tell me what's wrong?"

Getting fed up at this, I retorted, "I don't need to look around to answer that question! I'm fine! We're all fine! Or we were until you just-"

"Very well then." Miharu cut across me, getting to his feet and shouldering his rifle in the meantime, "Everything is fine. As you have just said, there's nothing wrong here. There's nothing wrong with you or me or anyone or anything."

Miharu, what was wrong with him?! Why was he always acting this way? Why was he wearing a mask all the time? Why was he so dodgy around questions and so apathetic towards me? Why couldn't we just get along and, for the love of god or gods or whatnot, survive together against the freaking pile of rubble we now called a world? Why, Miharu?! Why couldn't he just-

"Hey guys," I heard Summer call from nearby, making all of us - boys and dogs alike - freeze in what were building up into to hear her go on to say, "can you hear me? Are you around?"

At this, I glared daggers at Miharu who - with an uncaring expression like usual - gestured for me to either pursue our personal subject at hand or answer Summer's call instead. Over a fight, I chose to answer Summer rather than get angrier with ninja boy, "Yeah, Summer! Miharu and me are right here. You can hear me, right?"

"Yes." Summer called back, sounding rather excited, " Listen, come here. Both of you, quickly!"

"Alright, coming!" I replied, having Loki move on before gesturing towards Miharu politely. "After you." I insisted to my rival, a smile plastered on my forcibly patient face.

"Nah, I insist." Miharu answered my kindness, a smile on his own expression, "After all, how did that phrase work... Ladies first, right?"

Damn him. Excuse my words but - okay, okay, okay. I'm just angry at the moment because, well, I had looked to use "ladies first" on Miharu... before he had taken the words quite literally out of my mouth. Anyway, keeping my cool, I followed after Loki who tracked down Summer with Miharu and Cerberus following me.

When the four of us did indeed find Summer, we found the reason for her having sounded happy earlier. And she did indeed have a reason for being cheery. You see, on the floor shelf before her was what appeared to be a motion powered generator and when I saw that, well... the store rang with my eager exclamation afterwards.

"AW YEAH!!!"

10 Years Ago

Miharu: I look at the generator with a blank expression. " Ok, you found a motion generator how is that going to help us.? I mean besides possibly restoring power to the store." I say trying to find any other practical use for the generator.

10 Years Ago

Lucy: I run as quietly as I can towards the music...that same part of that old song replaying over and over. I can't help but think it somehow rings true, that it will indeed be a long time before I find anyone, if anyone is still alive, or that it'll be a long time before the world is right again. As I run through the streets past all the places I used to go, I am saddened by the sight of the bodies of people I once knew. There, there's Mr. Santucci, the owner of the bakery I used to buy bread from, and over there is Suzy McNeill, a girl I used to babysit. I sit down in the middld of the road and cry, waterfalls of tears. I stand up after a while and begin to run again.

10 Years Ago

Summer: "Well mr. cold as ice, it could be used for many things. Like powering an electric heater or even better, a car. And unlike you, I havn't given up on finding people. If we use this to power a radio tower we can send out a message." I look up into the face of Miharu who was still tring to keep on an air of I'm not impressed. Instead of saying anything he simply walked away, probably stewing over being shown up by a girl. God men were strange. I turn to August "If you are done getting supplies, try to find an electric car in the parking lot." I watch him nod and walk out of the isle, a happy look upon his face, though there seemed to be something else to it than just being happy about the generator. I turn back to unpackaging the heavy thing and hooking it up to my bike. After I get it attatched I climb on and set about getting some of the other things we needed, such as a tent and sleeping bags. I also picked up an Ipod and laptop and put them neatly in my bag along with map software and cd's. "What do you need those for?" Miharu asks walking up behind me. By this time I am used to his startling approach and so leave my sword in its sheath. " Well, this way I dont have to rely on the two of you for a map." I say, obviously doging the real question. Unfortunatly Miharu had the tendancy to bother asking things specificly. I meant the MP3 player and CDs." I look at him with a guilty expression. "Well what is an adveture without a bit of good music?" He just shakes his head at me and walks away again holding tightly to his newly engraved rifle. "Good luck surviving with that mindset. This world is cold and cruel, there is no place for weaklings who only care about having fun and prancing around like retards." I watch him round a corner and think on what he said. I decide that I don't need the CDs after all, but I keep the Ipod and laptop. I pull out a usb with a anime keychain attached. I don't know what made me think to pick it up when I had found it in the rubble of my home, but it might have something useful on it. I then shove the usb away in my pocket and make my way to the front doors, dragging the generator and camping equipment behind me. When I walk out the front door I see August standing there looking into the distance. "Hey, dreamer boy, weren't you supposed to be finding a car?" I ask. He looks at me startled, as if just waking up. "I was," he said "until I heard that song again. And then I saw her." He says pointing a little ways to the right. I follow his gaze and notice a girl running down the street. Forgeting about the mention of a strange song, I shout out to the girl. "Hey, where are you going?"

10 Years Ago

Lucy: As I am sprinting, I hear some shouting from behind me. I quickly stop, pull out my knife, and wait quietly behind a dumpster. A hunter waits for it's prey to come to them, and I like to adopt this mindset whenever I feel like I am being followed. A group of people come running towards me,  and I duck further into the shadow. "Hello?" one of them calls; I can tell it's a girl from the sound of her voice, but I can't tell who all is with her; they begin looking around where I am hiding but to no avail. I peek shyly from the side of the bin, hoping they won't notice me, but a tall slim boy turns just as I pop my head out. He smiles at me; "I think I found her, Summer." I duck quickly back behind the bin and get my knife ready, though I have no idea how I'd fight off a group of people, if that's what they wanted. 

10 Years Ago

Miharu: After finding the girl I pull out my revolver, Hypnos, and my knife, Hades, and point Hypnos at the dumpster she had hid behind,and keep Hades ready for a desperate lung at me. I knew better than to try and drag her out. an Idea comes to me and I smile evilly. " Hold on guys I'll throw a grenade. That'll flush her out." I say pulling out a paper shell made to look like a grenade filled to the brim with fireworks. I drop a match inside and throw it right beside the girl. " 5...4..3.." I whisper getting away,and chuckle as the others think it's real and flee for their lives. " Cerberus get ready." I say to my bog and he barks with excitement.

Re: First a Motion Generator? Second, a Fourth Human? Yes! Now to - Oh, augh, WHAT?!

10 Years Ago

August: Summer's discovery of a motion generator had made the trip to Costco for supplies all the better! Seriously, with her having found such a piece of equipment then everything I had formerly thought was lost to the modern world - dairy products, keeping cars alive, using technology - wasn't so lost! Not now that we'd found a self-sustaining source of electricity, of power, to keep mechanisms and such going! Yes! This was awesome! Yet, guess, who was the rain on my parade... Anyone? Any guesses?

"Ok, so..." Miharu drawled in firm confusion, scratching Cerberus behind the ears meanwhile, "we've found a motion generator. Hm, great, that's good. Yet, how is that going to help us?"

Miharu, are you serious? Are really going to remain so freaking uncaring, inconsiderate, along with - Bah! Whatever, dude! Whatever! Be that way! However, for this moment... No! You're not going to ruin this moment of greatness for me, ninja boy!

When myself and Summer gave him annoyed glances at his confusion over having been happy in discovering a generator, Miharu simply shrugged as well as said, "No, really, how is this generator going to help us? Apart for maybe powering this giant store, anyway."

"Ugh, Miharu, just-" I began whispering, getting annoyed with ninja boy despite my attempts to not be. However, before I got any further in my argument, Summer quickly stood up to Miharu for the both of us.

"Oh no, how can this generator possibly help us in surviving the end of the world." She innocently wondered, not being innocent at all at the same time, "Hm, jeez, I don't know... but then again, I do. For one, this generator could power equipment like an electric heater when we need it."

"An electric heater?" Miharu replied, snickering to himself before explaining his reason for having done so, "Seriously? It's the middle of summer, girl. Why would we need such a thing as a heater?"

"Well, maybe we don't need one right now. Or, wait, maybe we do, Mr. Cold as Ice." Summer laughed back, getting up to purposefully poke Miharu in the chest, "Yeah, I could plug this generator in and let it power up a heater and then that heater can melt that heart of ice you're so keen on showing off!"

Dang... That had been a pretty impressive if not unexpected blow to cool Miharu's dignity, right? I'm not the only one who now felt like not getting on Summer's bad side, correct? Anyhow, it turned out that Summer wasn't ready to relent in explaining the benefits of having found the generator to Miharu and as she did so... ninja boy tried to remain looking as unimpressed as he could. In the meantime, if it could have, my jaw would have dropped to the floor.

"And besides the fact that you're only being stubborn about this whole situation, Miharu, a heater wouldn't be useful in summer but be it'd great to have around for winter, wouldn't it?" Summer explained further, turning back to looking over the generator meanwhile, "Plus, think about if we found a car to power up with this! There'd be no more walking around for us, no more inconveniences in traveling along with more."

Yeah, keep going Summer! That sounded fantastic! I was glad to know that i wasn't the only one in the group to be intelligent! Not that I thought of Summer or Miharu as being dumb in the first place but, yeah, anyhow...

"But most of all, Miharu, I - unlike you - haven't given up in finding other survivors." Summer stated determinedly, kneeling back down to begin unpacking, "You can continue hugging trees, ninja boy, but now that I have this power source here... there's a chance I can get to a radio tower and sent out a message for others to hear, isn't there?"

There was a silence shared between all of us at Summer's resolute words. As Miharu didn't answer the question and instead grimly left us with Cerberus trailing behind him, I just gaped at the girl getting the generator out of its packaging. Being the gentleman I was, maybe becoming a fan of her spirit too, I didn't wait around for the girl with the katana to ask me to help her in her efforts. In fact, now that I knew that she had a plan for the newly found generator - in eventually trying to use it to find other survivors - I was more than eager to help Summer.

My dream of a girl on a bike riding through a brightly lit park with others welcoming me to their community... It was coming true, wasn't it? Seriously, ever since I had met Summer, a series of things had been set into motion in rapid succession. If I continued to follow her lead to any radio tower, if I went on to become her friend in the coming days, then High Park very well could eventually be a community of survivors. My dream could become actual reality!

"Alright, August, thank you for your help here." Summer said to me when the generator was out of its box, giving me a grateful smile that made my heart happily jump a bit in my chest, "Now, if you've gathered enough supplies to take back to High Park for the future then let's see about getting that stuff along with this power source back to our base easier."

At this, katana girl pointed towards where I knew was the store's front entrance and explained, "All of the stuff we've gained from Costco here... we both know that it's going to be difficult to get back to the park before nighttime. The only way to get back quickly and efficiently is by car."

"Of course." I agreed, getting to my feet and knowing what was about to said to me, "There are plenty of cars to pick from out in the parking lot. You want me to find us a good one, right?"

"Right. But be sure it's an electric car."

At this, I wondered, "An electric car?"

"Yes." Summer replied, her eyes showing that she was fully aware of what she was talking about despite my questioning, "Don't worry too much about it, August. I don't know where you've been for the last few months but here, in Canada, there are alot more electric cars around than you think."

If she said so. I had a pretty rough idea of what I would be looking for out in the parking lot and, most likely with how lucky we had been, I would find a car for everyone to take back to High Park. However, before I went, I had to say with renewed spirits.

"Summer... You're a genius. You know that, right?"

When Summer simply smiled back at me with a bit of curiosity showing, I explained, "When you go to whatever radio tower to send out a signal for other survivors to hear, be sure to let me and Loki know. We'd both be more than willing to help you in bringing more survivors into our little group."

It was when Summer didn't say anything back to me, when she only smiled a brighter smile at my words, that I realized that I hadn't needed to say anything in the first place. When she had said she was thinking about going to a radio tower, she had known that I would be willing from the start to aid her wherever I could and truly - when that task came - I would help her in any way she needed me to.

"Okay, Loki," I commanded of my attentive husky next, turning away from thoughtful Summer and towards where I knew the cars rested outside, "let's go find us a better way of getting around, hm? Let's go find us a hot ride!"

"Bark! Yip!" Loki happily responded, his tail wagging so hard it could have flown off at any given moment.

The effort of getting back outside proved easier alone than I'd predicted. With Ares withdrawn, I pried open the sliding doors once more to let Loki out first before following him. The sun was descending now. Dusk was nearing. Still, I had plenty of time to search for the car Summer wanted me to find... but, again, I couldn't keep from looking around for something else meanwhile; for the music I'd heard when just getting inside Costco. You see, as I examined the automobiles, music floated to my ears from nowhere.

"She packed my bags last night, pre-flight... Zero hour, 9 am... And I'm gonna be as high as a kite by then..."

'Where is that coming from?" I mused with a bit of humor, looking around at the empty environment as well as trying not to believe that I was actually going as crazy as Miharu had suggested earlier, "I mean, I know I've heard of it somewhere... Loki!"

From amongst the cars, my trusty husky appeared with his eyes all bright, his ears perked up, and tongue lolling out of his smiling maw. After I petted him a bit, I next had him listen with me for the music. And, no, it turned out I wasn't crazy about maybe hearing things. Not when Loki stiffened up at hearing the music in the distance with me and, next, he barked without real aim.

"I know, boy, I know." I laughed, feeling relieved that at least my dog was in on the odd moment with me, "Something about some guy packing bags and looking to leave for somewhere... Something Rocket Man, I believe."

And then, to my heart's shock as well as near stop, I practically bit my tongue at seeing something in the parking lot with me... A strange young woman. A woman, if real, who's beauty could compare to Summer's and also looked to be Summer's age too. This stranger - with her sandy brown hair, sapphire eyes, and dressed in an enticing skirt of tan and a shirt of pink - was wandering about looking utterly lost. She obviously hadn't seen me nor Loki before he started barking. When she did notice me in the lot with her, when I started to say something, she instantly took to fleeing!

"Whoa? Hey!" I roared not with anger but with excitement, leaping over hoods along with bolting through the maze of automobiles around me with Loki not far behind my heels, "Stop! Hey, girl, hold up!"

The girl didn't wait. She didn't listen. She didn't remain visible for long for me to try to follow and, feeling completely lost, I began to rapidly wonder if Miharu was right... Was I going crazy? Had I just seen a ghost perhaps? was there really music in the air or was I hearing things? Yet, no, it couldn't be that way. Not if Loki was sniffing around, his ears erect for any noise, ready to begin chasing the newest girl that had just shown herself. 

As my husky went on looking for whoever we had just seen, I didn't take notice of Summer emerging from Costco with Miharu. Cerberus, when just stepping outside, became just as alert as Loki. While Summer approached me to ask me a question, the jack russel was soon joining Loki in the effort for smelling for whoever girl had vanished among the cars.

"August? Hey?" The katana girl wondered of me, shaking me out of my pondering by grabbing onto my shoulder, "Hey, dreamer boy! Weren't you supposed to be finding us, your friends, a car?"

"Trust me, I was looking for a car." I quickly replied, eager to explain what I had just seen as the dogs went barking off into another direction through the automobiles, "Seriously I was looking before - before I saw her!"

With the dogs howling in the distance to the left, the sandy brown haired girl showed herself from the cars to begin running further away! Not waiting for Summer to ask anything else of me, I dashed after the newest stranger to show herself from the ruined world! With Loki and Cerberus holding her up, the fleeing girl wasn't able to get away from me as easily as before and the distance between us was closing quickly. 

Soon, I found I wasn't the only one running along. Swift Miharu was right beside if not getting ahead of me and Summer was trailing closely behind both of us guys! Finally, it seemed the sandy brown haired girl had nowhere else to run and had taken cover behind a few dumpsters from Loki and Cerberus. Miharu, who had been ahead of us all, had motioned for me to join him in hiding and Summer soon caught up.

Quite winded, we all looked to each other in confusion at what had been going on until I stated, "I was honestly looking for a car when that chick appeared out of nowhere! I swear I wasn't listening to music or going crazy!"

"Nobody said you were listening to music or going crazy, Mr. Obvious." Miharu jeered, drawing out Hades and readying Hypnos at the same time, "Guilty conscious much? You still want to tell me you;re not going a bit mad?"

"Shut it!" I snapped, taking the sight of ninja boy getting prepped to try an assault against the cornered stranger, "And, dud, why are you getting your weapons ready? A girl is cornered, not a wild animal."

"As far as you can tell." Miharu responded, pulling out something from his pocket with a sneer, "Still, we're all going to be able to tell what she is when I give her a taste of grenade. Get ready Cereberus." At this, the jack russel barked.

"I'm insane?" I snarled at Miharu, having heard him mention a "grenade", "No, you're insane! Dude, don't you dare - don't light that - jesus christ, don't throw that-"

"Miharu, don't throw that thing!" Summer hissed, backing me up even when Miharu threw his grenade to the dumpsters to have it land perfectly in front of them, "No! Miharu what are you-"

"Too late now." Ninja boy chuckled, having his gun as well as knife prepped with Cerberus ready at his side, "Listen, that girl behind the dumpsters had a knife. I saw it. Now, when that grenade goes off then - Mr. leader! Summer! Get back here!"

For a brief second, Summer and I had thought of running the other way from the dumpsters rather than towards them next! With Loki ahead of me, the husky leapt upon Miharu's bomb! Next, I took it from my faithful canine to toss it to Summer who, with a mighty heave, threw the explosive as far as her strength would allow!

Far off, there was no explosion and shrapnel that tore the trees or pavement apart... No, we instead heard something like crackling and sparks going off. In utter disbelief, at realizing what arriving Miharu had actually made us think was a grenade, I snarled at ninja boy, "Fire crackers?! Are you freaking kidding me?!"

"Good thing I was." Miharu scoffed, remaining cautious of the dumpsters right beside me, "If it had been real... You'd both had been blown away without question."

"As far as you know!" I roared, utterly fed up, "Next time we're dealing with another survivor, Mihura, then let's be clear with each other abut what we're planning rather than scaring the living crap out of the party with what you consider is a joke - Whoa! What?"

I hadn't taken the time to notice but the girl we all had been chasing had shown herself from the dumpsters with a brave stand! Indeed, as Miharu had stated earlier, she wielded a knife towards us all and it took my everything to keep Loki from charging her to answer her threatening swipes! As for Cerberus, he jumped to and fro from the blade, snarling along with howling at the same time!

Finally, getting sick of everything happening, Summer drew her blade and brought it sharply against the dumpsters! The ringing silenced the dogs along with made everyone hesitate in what they were doing. As I held Loki tightly, as Cerberus stood poised for a fight with Miharu holding his gun steady, as the sandy brown haired girl watched us all shakily, it was then that katana girl took over the situation and gently asked the best question of whom we had been chasing after.

"You, girl... there's no reason for any of this. Where were you going? Who are you?"

10 Years Ago

Lucy: I kept my knife at the ready as they stared at me. I'd been alone for a while; I hadn't seen a non corpse since I started running. I couldn't even imagine what I looked like, probably dirty and ferral like a wild animal. Tears were pouring down my face at this point."I'm Lucy. You're the first non corpses I've seen in days." I smile weakly but warmly at them, hoping theyd forgive me for pulling a knife on them. "Im so sorry for the knife; it was just self defence. I didnt know what you guys wanted, you couldve been murderers or psychopaths or something." I wiped the tears from my eyes and leaned against the dumpster again, a new wave of tears falling from my eyes.

10 Years Ago

Miharu: I keep Hypnos pointed at the woman's head, and prep for a desperate lung attack with Hades. I stare at the girl emotionless, ready to shoot if she made even a single move I didn't like. " Drop the knife." I say coldly. Cerberus growling at the woman as she stands there.

10 Years Ago

Lucy: The boy with jet black hair points a gun at my head, and as I cry, I slump to the ground, burying my head between my knees. I must look ridiculous, like a child, but I cannot help it. I sob uncontrollably.

10 Years Ago

Summer: "Down trigger happy." I say to Miharu. "Sorry about these two they arn't very socially adept. My name is Summer. This is August and Mihu." I say pointing to each of us in turn. I suddenly find my own head at gun point. "It's Miharu." The boy says through clenched teeth. "Yeah?" I say turning on him and whipping my sword under his throat. "It will be doornail if you don't put the bloody gun away." Both of us hesitate for a moment before dropping our arms. "I doubt she's gonna hurt us, besides you and I both know if she tried either of us could drop her in a heart beat. Or at least you could. I don't like killing." I turn my attention back to the girl, but I can tell I've only managed to frighten her more. "I'm sorry." I say to her gently "Typically we arn't this violent. And by we I mean myself and the dogs. I don't know what is up with these two and their bromance. May I ask when you got here?"

10 Years Ago

Lucy: I stand up and look at the group around me. "I woke up in my house and the world was just...like this. But then I heard this music...a snippet of a song that I really love. You guys know Rocket Man by Elton John? Yah, that. Anyways..." I wiped the tears from my eyes and smiled at Summer. "I was just trying to find the music. And really, I'm sorry about the knife. Its self defence; thank god I didn't bring my gun or it woulda been worse." The one called August smiles at me shyly, and I smile back. But Miharu continues to point the gun at my head. "Play a lot of fps' before the world went to hell?" I laugh, but he's clearly not amused.

Re: Heh, Say What You Like. I Know Better.

10 Years Ago

August: No, I hadn't been seeing things earlier when I had been searching the maze of cars that lined outside of Costco. Yes, it seemed my dream was actually coming true bit by little bit. Seriously, there was myself, Summer, Miharu, as well as the two dogs that made up the party that had been formed yesterday with my arrival to High Park. Now, with our going to the superstore for supplies... Well, let's just say that I and the others wouldn't be going back to home base in the park with items alone. We'd have a fourth if not enticing survivor in our midst.

If ninja boy would lower the gun, sheathe his blade, along with have Cerberus quit looking ready to dive upon this "Lucy" girl, that was. I mean, dude, he had made his point already by pointing Hypnos in Lucy's face and being Mr. Cold, Cool, Collected. Now, with Lucy crying up a storm, with her knife upon the pavement, what more did he want? She was disarmed, she was lost, she was beautiful - I mean - she was a survivor! She needed us and we needed her!

Yet, as I was about to step in and be a hero for the newest girl that I had found in the ruined world that - like usual - Summer took over the situation. She stated to tense Miharu, completely serious, "Okay, you've made your point, trigger happy. Down, boy, down."

At this, katana girl went on to hopefully brightly explain for all of us to unsure Lucy with Miharu still looking ready to unleash chaos on the scene, "Look, sorry about this. Those two guys are August and Mihu. I don't really know how to explain it but they're kind of socially adept. Anyway-"

WHAT?! WHAT?! HOW?! WHY?! It was Miharu who was the one hiding in trees and fell out to threaten me with the rifle yesterday now entitled with the name of the god of death! It was Miharu who took pleasure in being evasive, in surrounding himself in gun ammunition! So, ugh, why was I awkward to be around? I hadn't done anything wrong since coming up from Michigan! With the way she was friendly to me one second and was a teaser the next, what did Summer want from me?

Then, to further my confusion on why I was the socially awkward one, Miharu turned his revolver away from Lucy and onto Summer. Having her in his sights, ninja boy hissed to katana girl, "One more time... Just try it. The name isn't Mihu, it's Miharu."

SHING! SWISH! TING!

In a rapid flourish along with poise, Summer as well as Miharu were locked in a standoff. Hypnos was aimed for katana girl's firmly set face. The katana was pressed against ninja boy's neck. As for Lucy, unsure as for what to do, she just kept to herself while I mentally raged.

So, I was the socially adept one, eh? I was still the socially adept one when at the moment, my two fellows were practically ready to take each other down? My, how ironic the desolate world was or had become.

"Look, if you don't put the bloody gun away," Summer finally stated to Miharu resolutely, "your name will be door nail soon enough."

"That can work both ways, you know." Ninja boy interjected, not relenting with his weapons at all.

"Can it?" I finally managed to utter, trying to follow Summer's example in trying to intervene with the situation that was building up.

As she had mostly done back in High Park with me and Miharu during out stand off, I stepped forward between my fellows having a staring contest. When with them, I placed a hand on each of my newly made friend's shoulders while saying, "Is this really smart? It may be the end of the world but is it worth blowing or cutting each other's heads off, hm? I thought we had gotten past the ironic business back in High Park?"

I glanced to Summer and said to her, "Did you not tell me yesterday that it was stupid you were caught in the middle of a gunfight when just waking up? Well, think of how Lucy is dealing with this now."

Then, I turned to Miharu and asked of him sternly, "And I thought there were no more hard feelings between the three of us. We aren't in debt to each other nor are we enemies. You may act cool, my friend, but I know you haven't the heart to let any of us down at the moment."

"I hold no hard feelings towards you for yesterday's fiasco." Miharu hissed at me, not opening up to me as I'd hoped, "But this constant use of Mihu... It may very well change that."

"Mihu is a good way of reminding you that you, like us all, have a flaw, Miharu." I stated, not feeling very threatened as he glared daggers at me at the mention of Mihu, "And we're only using it now because you're not thinking of Lucy's feelings here! Now, if you'd kindly lower your blasted GUN?!"

At my exclamation, both Summer and Miharu glared at each other again. However, to my relief as well as Lucy's, my two companions lowered they're weapons in an uneasy truce.

"She still has that knife..." Ninja boy commented.

"Relax. She's not going to hurt any of us." Summer retorted, looking over poor, shaken Lucy on the ground, "And if she looked to do so... You and I both would be able to drop her in a second."

"Not that that will be necessary." I interrupted rather aggressively, feeling quite a bother at that news as well as looking to Lucy in turn, "Seriously, you two need to relax already. We're dealing with another survivor here, not some cornered cougar."

At my words, Lucy seemed not able to keep from laughing a bit through her tears. Summer turned her eyes onto me along with explained while gesturing towards ninja boy, "I'm not the one who would hurt this girl. I don't favor killing. Unlike a certain somebody else in our midst."

"Who said I like killing?" Miharu sneered, actually not taking the comment well, "I'm simply doing what I've been doing while you've been asleep and Mr. Leader has been wherever he's been. I'm just being cautious, careful, alive. Excuse me."

"Whatever." Summer replied in amusement, looking to Lucy who was getting to her feet after having exchanged an encouraging smile with me, "Well, now that all weapons have been put away and tensions are at rest... I'm sorry, girl. Typically, we aren't this violent. May I ask when you got here?"

"I woke up in my house." Lucy answered, trying to stay in control of herself along with wipe the tears from her quite aquamarine eyes that seemed to want to invite me into their depths, "And... and... and the world was gone. Like this, all around."

Wait, this sounded familiar. In turn, I glanced to my fellows who seemed to notice the same thing as I had. Was Lucy like Summer had been yesterday?... Was Lucy unaware of how ruined the world was too?

"But then... I heard a snippet of music in their air that i really love. Do you guys know Rocket Man by Elton John? I just-"

"THAT'S IT!" I roared, excitedly pointing first at startled Lucy before whirling on Miharu and snarling at him in triumph, "Screw off, bro! Call me crazy, will ya! Well, here's another girl here saying she was hearing Rocket Man music too!"

"Feh," Miharu replied to my exclamations, rolling his eyes, "you ARE crazy. Be glad that I idn't shoot you dead by shouting at me like that. Next time, think things through before you just holler at little defensive ol' me."

"Whatever, dude. At least my conscious is clear. I'm not as crazy as you say." I retorted, looking back to Lucy, "Ah, excuse us. I just had to settle something that had started earlier between ninja man and myself."

"Yes, excuse them both." Summer chimed, snickering meanwhile, "Again, as I said, they're a bit socially indept."

"Says the girl with the katana..." I muttered, looking away when Summer probably heard me and shot a curious glance in my direction.

The three of us with our dogs came to learn a bit more about Lucy. Understandably, her knife had been for self defense alone.  Nonetheless, Miharu stood by his motto of staying cautious and secretly ha a gun ready for anything suspicious she might be up to. As for Summer, she seemed to find Lucy a welcoming sight. And as for myself, I was overjoyed to see that we had a fourth survivor - another attractive girl who looked strong, healthy, a good human being altogether - to join me and Loki.

After having just woke up a little bit ago - oh boy, she was going to need to be updated about the end of all things like Summer - what Lucy had been doing in the park was chasing after the same song that I had been hearing through the air. It turned out to be, at Lucy's say so, Elton John's Rocket Man. However, I and the others couldn't just run off into the sunset after some mysterious tune. There were supplies, a generator, that needed to be shipped back to High Park. For now, getting back home was top priority in my mind and it would be better to leave the mysterious song of Rocket Man to deal with later; like tomorrow.

Nevertheless, I wasn't alone. There were the others who needed to make some choices too. I was more than willing to include Lucy into the group and go on a search with her for Rocket Man's song later. The more people in my party, the merrier, right? Now, all I needed was everyone else's opinions on what to do next.

Firstly, we needed to adopt Lucy into the party. Secondly, were we to investigate the song going around or hold off on that, gather the supplies, and head back to High Park to regroup for tomorrow?

10 Years Ago

(I said not socially adept Cou. Being socially adept means being a social person. Good in places where there is a lot of human contact.)

Summer: There was no question I wanted Lucy to come with us. After all, as much fun as August and Miharu were, it would be nice to have another girl along. If she wanted to come that was. As we talked over what to do next I was thinking about what both Lucy and August had said about their Rocket Man song. I too had heard a song, but not the same one. What did it all mean? I thought I'd ask.
"You both said you heard Rocket man coming from thin air right? Well I heard something too, but it was a different song. What do you think it means?"
Both Lucy and August look at each other but simply shrug as a reply.
"What song was it?" August asks me.
"It's called Sakura Sakura." I say, "It's a Japanese folk song."
He shrugs again and we return to looking for an electric car. While we look I start humming the tune and once again hear the words float along the breeze.
"Sakura, Sakura..."
This time the words seem to be more solid.
"Are you singing?" August asks.
"No. Why? Wait, you hear it too?" I return a question back at him.He nods.
The song eventually fades away, and we return to work, though every so often each of us will pause in thought.

"Hey! Is this what you guys are looking for?" I hear Lucy from a short distance away. (Sorry Luce) We race over to where she is and are relived to see she has found an electric car. I race back over to my bike and tow the generator over and plug it in. I then crawl in through an open window and climb into the drivers seat.
"So," I ask, pulling out a poket knife and pulling away the panel, "does anyone know how to hot wire one of these bad boys?"

10 Years Ago

Miharu: " Move over." I say beginning to mess with the wires while whispering a Japanese folk song the 'Song of Passage' as I work, and in a few minutes the car comes to live.  " You know, know that I think about it I've been hearing music as well, a song called the 'Song of Passage'."

First Page first
Previous Page prev