New Puppy

New Puppy

A Story by Linda
"

I have changed the title from FREE PUPPY to NEW PUPPY My short story is about a little chihuahua puppy that is a graduation gift for Kevin. I hope you all enjoy it.

"

New Puppy

By Linda Pickens Phalen

Page 1


In early spring of 1979 after graduation Kevin was greeted at his front door by a surprise gift from Aunt Harriet. It was a sweet little chihuahua puppy in a small white basket covered in a blue blanket with a tag attached to the basket that read..."Happy Graduation Kevin, Sorry I couldn't make your graduation. But wanted to leave a little gift to honor this special day. Love, Aunt Harriet xoxo PS The puppy's name is Trouble."


The note was hast-ally scribbled out as if it was written in a hurry. As I unlocked the front door I heard the screeching of tires. “Someone is in a hurry”! I thought as I picked up the basket and went in the door. Then when I turned on the light “Surprise!! “came out of the mouths of about thirty of my family members and a few close friends.


Trouble jumped from his basket and began whimpering and then all over my right shoe....The rains came! After cleaning up his mess I was lead over to see the beautiful graduation cake from mom and dad. Mom had baked it and decorated it herself. She is a retired Baker. As I was bending over this beautiful cake that must have taken hours to decorate, I was surprised with a biting sensation on my left ankle. When I looked down to see what it was there was Trouble making a snack of my ankle.


As I bent down to to pick him up he began to bark ferociously catching me quite off guard, thus causing me to go off balance and place my right hand right into the center of that beautiful cake mom worked so hard on. And as everyone began to “Groan” in surprise and disgust Trouble began to eat some of the cake. “It was a total nightmare!!” I actually wanted to cry.


But “Real men don't cry”!! ”Well that is what I have always heard.” Poor mom began to cry hysterically while dad tried to console her. Trouble began yelping and running around the room marking his territory. Now, Don't get me wrong here folks...I Love dogs, But at this very moment I wanted to throttle Trouble.


After making apology after apology to all my family and friends, three of my buddies helped me catch Trouble and contain him in my room. Then we tried to clean up the mess he had made as best we could. Lucky I have an understanding family and friends! No one was angry with me, but I sure am glad I am not my Aunt Harriet now.


After Trouble was contained in the other room we were all able to enjoy a pretty good party. We were able to salvage some of the cake. It was pretty good too.  We had lots of ice cream. That seemed to make us all happy. My family and I are suckers for good ice cream! By this time my mom was feeling almost back to normal again. She was smiling and so was dad. I went over to them both and told them how very sorry I was about all that happened. Mom told me she was going to call Aunt Harriet tomorrow morning. I gave her a hug and said “I sure am glad I'm not Aunt Harriet” Then dad grinned and said “So am I son, So am I


The rest of the party went without a hitch.  The only surprises were when I opened my gifts. I got a check from mom and dad for five hundred dollars and a set of keys to my very own bright red sports car. And several white envelopes from everyone else. All total I wound up with a total of $1,122 in cash and checks. I was a very Happy Grad! The only thing I didn't do is go to Disneyland. Because it's in California and here in Ohio they don't have a Disneyland.

Free Puppy

By Linda Pickens Phalen

Page 2


With all my cash and checks and my new car, I could go if I wanted to make the drive. I am content with just staying home with my family and friends. “OH! and my new puppy” Now that I think about it,”I haven't heard a peep from Trouble." I told them all. A few of us tiptoed to my bedroom door and listed and heard”nothing”  I ever so carefully opened the door to peek in and “I am so sorry I did that!!” My once neatly made bed was a shambles of four small piles of puppy poop along with torn papers from the book I had left on my pillow this morning.


All anyone heard from me after that is...”Why does Aunt Harriet hate me so much”? All the rest of that night I tried to figure out what I had ever done to her to make her hate me so much. I was her one and only nephew and I really thought she loved me. I quickly brushed a tear from my cheek and walked back to my few remaining party guests. I closed the door behind me as not to let the “Beast” out. It had been a great party and I was determined not to let what had happened spoil it. Mom pulled me aside and asked if everything was alright.


Well mom, I said, I have a serious question for you” What is it son? She asked in a comforting voice. “I just need to know Why Aunt Harriet hates me so much?” “Kevin, Your Aunt Harriet loves you! Why would you ever ask me such a question?” “Mom, I only have one word to say to answer your question,Trouble!” She looked at me for a full minute in absolute silence and then her answer was,”Penny her little dog she had when you were six years old” “ What about Penny I asked”


Suddenly mom's look began to soften a bit and she said,”Now I think I know why you think she hates you so much” “Will someone please fill me in here, I asked.” “ Well first of all, She does not hate you!!  When you were only six we let you stay with Aunt Harriet and Uncle Will for a week while dad and I were on a Business trip.The day before we got back to pick you up, Penny had her puppies.” Yes! I said” “Well she continued,Penny gave birth to four cute little chihuahuas.  You, being a typical six year old were Trouble and you took all four of those beautiful blonde puppies and colored them with your permanent colored markers.” Then laughing hysterically I said “I get it now” By the way, What color did I color them? I asked curiously.


“One blue, one bright red, one a sickly green and one concord purple!!” It took two months for the colors to fade”. “ Under her breath, I heard her mumble one of these days I will get even with that little “Trouble” maker” “ I guess she got even”! Then we all burst out in hysterical laughter and we must have laughed for fifteen minutes. Then finally with sore sides but a light heart I opened my bedroom door and let our little Trouble in to join what was left of the party. He was a cute little thing!


I guess he was the wild one of the litter so Aunt Harriet decided he would go to me. “I guess so said mom and dad" in unison. Then my friend, Daryl picked Trouble up and cuddled him and said “Well I have always heard that “Turn About Is Fair Play”  I think your Aunt Harriet just got even!” “Yes" I said as I reached over to rub my new puppy's head. “ I said to everyone with a big chuckle,”I think I am going to change his name to “Even Stevens” First thing the next morning I called my Aunt Harriet and thanked her for my great new friend.

© 2014 Linda


Author's Note

Linda
I make many mistakes in my writing. Mainly it is the use of too many !!! or comas. But I think grammar is very important. Although we all enjoy reading a great review, the critiques help us become even better writers.:):):)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have a healthy and positive imagination for writing, Linda. Hence this charming story! Do carry on and get more experience. Well done!

I too am an animal lover: I like animals more than some humans!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
1 Review
Added on September 6, 2012
Last Updated on June 29, 2014

Author

Linda
Linda

CA



About
Hi, My name is Linda and I live in S. California. I am a wife of 6 years thje 22nd. of next month. Still feels like yesaterday! :):):) I love to write more than eating and sleeping. I have written .. more..

Writing
The Bridge The Bridge

A Story by Linda