Promissory Note

Promissory Note

A Story by Loretta Edwards

Promissory Note


According to the dictionary a promissory note is: “a promise to pay what is owed to a person on demand or on a specified date.” To a Christian this means that when they die they will reap great rewards in heaven for all they have suffered doing God’s work on earth. Many think that good deeds or church attendance is all that is needed to assure them the key to heaven. Some think heaven will offer them the happiness they lacked on earth. Others believe that whatever they have done, if they ask forgiveness, even on their death bed, they will automatically awake in heaven.

We American Christian scoff at the Moslem religion when we read that another, generally a healthy young person, has strapped a bomb on his body and blew himself to bits along with as many innocent people who happen to be unfortunate enough to be close. He thinks of himself as a warrior of God, destroying infidels. We ask ourselves, “How can anyone even think there will be 70 virgins waiting to receive him in heaven?” He may be mistaken, but, are we willing to die for what we believe?

Most religions still teach ‘us’ that life must be endured, life’s lessons must be accepted and that we learn from suffering. “The meek shall inherit the earth.” So we think that we must be patient, meek and uncomplaining so that we can receive our reward when we die. In other words we are given a promissory note that we can cash in heaven. How foolish is that?

“Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.” So, “I’m poor but honest” is the excuse we use to explain our lack of faith in God to supply our needs. We glory in our poverty thinking we are proving how humble and righteous this makes us. In reality worry, poverty, and sickness are insults to God, our Father. If you were a man of distinction and wealth, wouldn’t it be ‘a slap in the face’ for your children to refuse your gifts?’

All religions have a lot of good at their core and when studied deeply, spiritually, we find many similar beliefs. We also find many ‘handed-down’ nonsense. Take for instance, “The Divine right of Kings.” People had no problem believing that kings had a special power-to heal-to rule with wisdom (although most were tyrants)-to enjoy wealth and privileges. While the citizens of the kingdom were forced into near slavery to provide the king his luxury. It was just the way things were. You couldn’t argue with the fact this was ‘God’s will.’ Really?

The people only knew what they were told. The authority; be it , priest or king, had no qualms about lying to keep the masses under control. The farmer couldn’t pick up his Bible to study the Truth, because he could not read. “Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.” Do We?

They didn’t know that they were equal to the king as beloved children of God. They had not heard that Jesus said, “The Kingdom of Heaven is within you.” We have read both statements-do we understand their meaning? Apparently not!!!

We are content to wait for death and entrance into heaven to present our promissory note rather then examining the statements while we are still living.

GOD IS NOT THE GOD OF THE DEAD, BUT OF THE LIVING.

The promissory note can be cashed now. God is here now, ready, willing and able to give us the happiness we expect to enjoy in heaven.

HEAVEN IS WHERE GOD IS


608 Words Loretta Ellen Edwards


© 2018 Loretta Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on May 26, 2018
Last Updated on May 26, 2018

Author

Loretta Edwards
Loretta Edwards

OH



About
These stories are my opinion only, please feel free to leave a comment regarding what you think about them. If you would like, feel free to also print these stories out and share them with family and .. more..

Writing