Betrayed (Fourth chapter)

Betrayed (Fourth chapter)

A Chapter by AnayaJ.
"

The fake friend.

"

It was there. The framed photograph of my old self was there, just where it had been the last the time I checked. Then how did she get the photograph when the frame was still there? She must have taken a picture and gotten a printout. Yes, that is what she did. But what if it was someone else?

 

I had only two friends in school who had stepped into my room: Anne and Kathy. However, Kathy had come only once, and Anne was there when she did. It was about two months ago. If Kathy was the one who managed to get a picture, why did she not leak it as soon as she had it within her hands?

 

To put an end to my wonders, I picked up my phone from where it lay on my bed and dialed Anne's number. At first, she ended the call, leaving me surprised. She never ended my calls without picking up and giving me a reason. I called again, and this time, she picked it up.

 

"Hey, Erica! I'll call you in a while, I'm a bit busy. I have to go somewhere and I'm leaving in a while, lemme get ready! Bye!" She said in a rush and ended the call, without giving me a chance to answer. I knew Anne, and her actions were a proof to my doubts. I was sure it was her behind the leakage, and that fact was unbelievable.

 

In a state of uncontrollable anger, I dressed up and left my house with the intention of going to Anne's home and forcing her to profess. I drove the car at the maximum legal speed, rushing past other vehicles. By the time I reached her home, I was furious. I wanted to get revenge. And once she admits it, I will formulate a plan and put it into action; that plan will lead to the downfall of her popularity.  Where my reputation goes down, hers goes lower.

 

I rang the doorbell a few times before her mother opened the door. She was a sweet woman, and she greeted me nicely. I asked her if Anne had to go somewhere, and her answer was a puzzled 'no'. Therefore, I climbed the stairs and knocked on Anne's bedroom door. Tapping my feet impatiently, I waited for her to open it.

 

When she saw me as she opened the door, her expression turned into a terrified one and her mouth opened wide. Realizing that her expressions might give in, she turned hers into a normal one and closed her mouth.

 

"Erica, I'm so sorry," she said, "I wasn't in a mood to meet anyone. I knew you wanted to meet me. Sorry."

 

I stood there watching her, my arms folded across my chest. I knew that my eyes were showing anger and my jaw was portraying that I had gritted my teeth together. She seemed to register it, and fear became apparent in her eyes.

 

"Why did you do this to me?" I asked her coldly, "How could you do that, Anne? Why?!"

 

"I don't know what you're talking about," she answered.

 

"Stop pretending, Anne," I said through gritted teeth, "I know it was you, hiding it would do you no good. Just admit it, why don't you? I can't believe it, Anne. You are so fake. I'm glad you showed your true face."

 

"BECAUSE I WAS JEALOUS!" she shouted, “I WAS JEALOUS OF YOU AND YOUR BLOODY PERFECTION. YOU GAINED SO MUCH POPULARITY! YOU'RE SO PRETTY! EVERYONE GAWKS AT YOU! I LOVE NICK BUT HE ASKED YOU!  I WANTED TO SHOW EVERYONE YOUR NATURAL FACE, WITHOUT ALL THOSE COSMETICS YOU APPLY! THAT IS WHY I DID THIS! HAPPY NOW?" By the time she was done with shouting, she was panting. Her eyes were wavering with tears, and her face had turned red with fury.

 

Anne's confession left me astounded. She was jealous of me. I had my doubts about it, but I could never imagine that her envy would force her to do this. Before I shifted to this city, Lara and Anne were the two popular girls. That explains their jealousy. I had stolen their fame. However, that does not mean I would forgive her. No, I couldn't. Anne had betrayed me, and she will have to pay for that. 



© 2016 AnayaJ.


Author's Note

AnayaJ.
Please leave your thoughts! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great chapter. You keep the plot moving while keeping it short and concise.

There are a few things, however.

1) A few times you slip into the wrong tense, having "would" instead of "will" and vice versa. Either one is good but you have to make sure you stay consistent.

2) Your choice of words seems to eloquent to be coming from a teenager. For instance, "well over the legal limit" sounds what someone older would say, while a teenager would say "speeding like a demon". It'll make it more believable that Erica is telling the story, not some English professor.

3) When Anne is yelling, she goes from playing dumb to screaming in all caps. If she's yelling that loud, wouldn't her mother hear? Even if she doesn't hear, show a transition to the yelling so that it's not 0 to 100

Look forward to the next chapter.

Posted 7 Years Ago


AnayaJ.

7 Years Ago

Thankss!! I'll consider your suggestion :)))
This is great! I could feel the emotion. I enjoyed Erica's thought process in the beginning. Well done. I enjoyed this!
Tabby

Posted 7 Years Ago


AnayaJ.

7 Years Ago

Thanks!! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 15, 2016
Last Updated on October 18, 2016


Author

AnayaJ.
AnayaJ.

Pakistan



Writing
Perhaps Perhaps

A Poem by AnayaJ.


Karma Karma

A Story by AnayaJ.