Swallowing Time

Swallowing Time

A Chapter by AWickedMoon

 

Swallowing Time

 

Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. -Gilda Radner

 

Wednesday April 12 1837 11:21AM

“Miss, it is nearly noon the doctor said I must wake you to make sure you’re alright.”  A familiar British accent said.  I opened my eyes and was greeted by the delicate face of the woman I saw last night.  “I...”  I barely choked out realizing how thirsty I was.

 “Oh dear, her miss I brought you some tea, scones and clotted cream.”  The woman said bringing over a tray.  Clotted cream?  I thought to myself and tried to sit up as the blanket fell down I realized I was in a beautifully laced white gown.  “Oh” I said looking at the intricate lace work.

“Sorry Miss Winston I know the night gown is a bit loose but it was all I could find on such a short time.  I have found a tea gown that I believe will fit you though.  It’s one of Miss Herriot’s.  Your dress had a red stain on the front of it from the blood.”  The woman said looking down.  “If I may be so bold, are you a ladybird?”

“A what?”  I asked confused.

”Oh perhaps you go by lady of the night?  I do not mean to be rude It’s just your dress was so short for a lady of London…perhaps you are coming from somewhere more exotic?”

“LONDON!  What dear are you clamoring about this is Canada, Armstrong Canada.  Is there an enactment for the trains going on?  Maybe I am in the Heritage Park by chance?”

“Canada?”  The young woman looked up her blue eyes sparkling.  “I’ve never been there before which settlement do you come from?”  She asked.  I got up and walked over to the window to get fresh air, but when I opened the window I was greeted with a foul stench of rot and, well waste.  Quickly I shut the window, and tried to shake off the scent clinging to my nose.  I looked out the window and let out a squeak as I saw Carriages racing past on a cobble stone road, and tightly packed houses across the way.  I turned around and leaned on the window.  I must have looked startled as the woman quickly headed over to me.  “Miss? Are you alright?” She asked helping me over to the bed.  “What year is it?” I asked.  “1837 year of are lord.” She answered.  “I think maybe you may have hit your head harder than we thought. She pulled me back over to sit on the bed.  “I shall call for the doctor.”  She said racing out of the room.

Maybe this was a dream, I willed myself to think it such.  But I knew it wasn’t, it was too real.  Quickly my thoughts fluttered back to Edward, I sat up much too quickly again and my head swam.  Edward!  Memories flooded in reminding me of are conversation.  We have time in our grasp… I remembered the cracking sound.  I must have stepped on the vial…

The woman walked back into the room a massive piece of fabric draped across her arms.  A blanket?  I thought.  “Are you feeling better ma’am?”  She asked.

“Yes, what was your name?”  I asked taking in her modest black dress and white apron.  I was completely fixated on her White cap hat, when a horrified look over came her face.

“Oh my.”  She said.  “How terrible rude of me not to introduce myself.  Tis Lady Jane, Miss Herriot’s chamber maid.”  Jane said bowing her head and dipping into a curtsy.  She looked at me a bit nervously.  “If you don’t mind me asking are you Alden’s sister or cousin?”  She asked her head tilting ever so slightly to the left.

I was about to say no but thought better of it.  “I-Yes I am. I am Miss Marilyn Winston. Alden’s sister.” 

  “He never mentioned he had a sister but you look so much like him you know, not to say you look like a man.  I just, you have his high cheek bones and his grey eyes like the fog that rolls in from the shore.”  My hand fluttered up to touch my face.  “And your hair it’s as black as coal.”  She said placing the fabric on the end of the bed.  “I brought you this dress, it’s an older one of Miss Herriot’s before she…blossomed shall we say.”  She picked up what I had thought was a blanket revealing it to be a dress.  A gasp escaped me as I took in the patterned dress.  “I know it’s not much but we can go down to Harold’s and order some new dresses, I’m sure Mr. Winston won’t mind.”  She said mistaking my gasp as disappointment rather than amazement.

“If you’ll come over here we can get you laced up then you can come to the garden for lunch, some fresh air ought to do you good.” I complied and followed her over to a severely decorated room divider.  I thought back to a movie I had seen and started to take off my night gown.  But Jane insisted on doing it herself.  I stepped into the drawers she held out for me. Then she glided on what she called a slip; I had asked her to explain some of the pieces saying that my memories were still fuzzy.  She put a large piece of thick white fabric; that felt like sticks had been sewn in, in front of my waist and asked me to hold it.  I could feel her fingers teasing something in the back as the fabric got tighter and was about to ask which piece this was when she pulled it so tight I could hardly breath, causing all the air I my lungs to run out of me. I reached out to grab something to avoid falling and was greeted by a warm hand.  “Are you alright miss is the corset to tight?  Here I shall loosen it a bit.”  Gratefully I nodded as she loosened the corset. She then slipped on the rest.  By the end of it I felt as if I someone had layered thick blankets over me.

I glimpsed past Jane at a mirror to assess the dress; it was a sky blue color with a round neck, Lined with intricate lace.  Two feet from the bottom was a festoon[1] cut of embroidered tulle; with blue satin rosettes[2] at each elevation.  Beneath was a narrow satin rouleau of the same color, heading a very deep and beautifully embroidered flounce.  The sleeves were set low, tightly pleated below the shoulder.  Jane finished it off with a darker blue satin sash tied in a bow to the left.  “There you look wonderful Miss.”  She said before her face morphed in to a scowl.  “Shoes!  Dear me you can’t go in the garden without shoes.”  She quickly moved out of the room.  I wandered around inspecting the strange trinkets on the vanity.  I picked up a delicate looking bottle and opened it expecting perfume but was surprised when the scent of vinegar filled my nose.  I quickly set it back down on the table as she came back in.  “Here miss I found these.  Jane said holding up a pair of blue and white laced boots.  I took one look at them and knew they wouldn’t fit they were much too big.  “Jane I don’t think those will fit, I’m afraid I have my father’s child feet.”  I said lifting up the skirt and poking my small foot out.  Jane made a mumbled noise before exclaiming.  “Oh dear!  Well I to, have small feet perhaps you could wear a pair of my boots just until we go to Bakers.”

 

I walked down the steps and was glad for the piles of fabric in the dress surrounding me as a cold wind whipped my face.  Jane led me out to the carriage and a tall man walked up and opened the door and helped me up.  When I had settled in, he draped what looked to be a rug over my legs and turned I saw Jane over his shoulder as he went to shut the door.  She was wrapped in a thin wool shawl, walking to the front of the carriage.  “Jane are you not coming?”

She turned back and said.  “I am, but I will be riding with James.”  I tried to convince her to ride with me, but she said that a respectable lady does not ride with a mere servant.  So I spent the next twenty minutes?  Riding alone in the chilly bumpy carriage, I could only imagine how cold it must be outside for Miss Jane.  A few minutes later I had drifted in to sleep.

I gentle shook my head and “Edward dear I told you to stop playing with dark magic you are going to curse us or worse hurt someone.”  I begged.  He looked at me his face practically bursting with excitement.  “Yes, yes but never mind that!  I also found in the box this vial I think its blood there was a small note in the box with it that said “Alden Winston.” I tried to reply but the sound of a loud bang pulled the dream and Edward away from me…

 

 

 



[1] A chain or garland of flowers, leaves, or ribbons, hung in a curve as a decoration.

[2] A design, arrangement, or growth resembling a rose, in particular



© 2013 AWickedMoon


Author's Note

AWickedMoon
Let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Keep up the good work :D :D

Posted 10 Years Ago


I really liked it, though was confused at what was going on. The only other thing I found that was lacking other than clarity, was commas. :) Keep up the good work! ;)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AWickedMoon

10 Years Ago

I seem to be notorious for commas. :P
Calibaster

10 Years Ago

I think maybe you are! ;) Or maybe I'm just notorious for finding them lacking! :P :) ;)
The title instantly cough my attention and a good thing to. I would have missed this amazing piece! well done !

Posted 10 Years Ago


AWickedMoon

10 Years Ago

Thank you! There's also a prologue and chapter one if you care to take a glance. Thank you so much.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 3, 2013
Last Updated on June 3, 2013


Author

AWickedMoon
AWickedMoon

Calgary, I am a fan of the egyptian gods, Canada



About
If you have time check out my Deviant account! http://jadepatterson.deviantart.com/ a> My name is Jade Patterson and I hail from Calgary, Canada. I enjoy dipping in to all genres and trying my h.. more..

Writing
Rant #1 Rant #1

A Story by AWickedMoon