Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by AWickedMoon

 

An Affair of Time

 

 

Prologue

 

“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ― C.S. Lewis

 

Tuesday April 11th 1837 6:00PM

 

“Catlin, I have wondrous news!”  I exclaimed rapping on Catlin's bedroom door.  I heard someone rushing to the door and a servant appeared.  With her head bowed and her hands clasped together she spoke softly.  "Master Winston, Miss Herriot is in the bath shall I call for you when she is done?"

 “No that is alright, tell her I’ll be in the library.”  I said. 

“Yes Master Winston” She said head still bowed.  I turned and made my way for the library hearing the door softly shutting behind me.  A small smile spread through my lips thinking about the wonderful news.

An hour or so had passed when I heard someone walk into the room.  I set my book down and stood up as Catlin and her Lady’s maid walk in.

“Ah the darling Catlin blesses me this evening.”  I said getting up and holding out my hand palm up.  She walked over and placed her hand in mine.  A faint smile placed on her lips.

“You have news for me dear Alden?”  She asked as I lead her to a seat. 

“I do, but first.”  I said turning to the Lady’s maid.  Dear Jane will you fetch some tea?”  I said as I took my seat.  Turning to Catlin I couldn’t help but smile thinking about the day we first met.  She had been walking on the pier when I out of sorts had walked into her and I do mean in the literal sense.  I apologized furiously for it explaining that my mother and father had passed away and I had been left with the dreaded choice of either sell their company or run it which was a rather large decisin for a man with only 17 years of wit.  But she just gave her condolences and said she should have been watching as well.  Not knowing what to do I offered to take her to the Opera, she seemed more than happy at this idea.  Since then we have been the greatest of friends, and I have told her all my secrets.  It is a peculiar thing to have a woman as a friend in an age as this. 

“What are you gazing on about now Alden?”  Her voice had just the slightest hint of sarcasm only a trained ear could hear.

“Right, do you remember Alfred Carlton?”  I asked looking at her intently.

“The magician you mean?  The one from Dovor?   Yes I remember him quite vividly he had the most gorgeous green eyes.”  She sat dreamily sipping her tea very improper for a lady.  But I had grown accustomed.

“Mr. Carlton has asked for your hand Catlin.”  I couldn’t contain myself and let out a giddy chuckle.  “He is a wealthy man, and you will be glad to know he is quite fond of your interests and wishes to assist you.”

 

“An yet I do not see him here.  Is it no longer custom for one to at least write a proposal?” 

“Oh yes, yes of course.”  I said quickly reaching into my pocket of my olive vest and pulled out a small envelope.   I moved my finger over the letter seal looking at the Carlton family crest.  It consisted of a knights helmet facing left, a crown above with the head of a unicorn protruding one of the leafs.  Below was a shield with three empty diamond facing diagonally.  I handed it over to her.  “I hope I haven't bothered you.  I wanted to tell you myself, as he couldn’t be here today he had to leave to Spain for trouble with a group of wizards.”

“Goodness what are those silly mages up to now?  They cant seem to keep there hands out of something.”

“Indeed, the pixies are at it again in my warehouses stealing fish and hanging dirty stocking in there place.”  I said chuckling.  “Thou they do know how to make one amused at party's.  But back to serious matters.”  I looked at Catlin, I thought I could see a red splotch at the corner of her lips and extracted a handkerchief from my pocket. 

“I must arrange a meeting to talk about finance firs-“  She broke off in a fit of coughing.  I ran over to her and knelt before her.  “My dear Catlin.”  I said softly, and handed her the handkerchief.  She leaned forward and place her head on my chest.  She quietly said.  “If I marry I will no longer be your Catlin, I will be Mrs. Carlton.  And what of the company you will surly loss yourself at the poor workers if I am not around.”  As soon as she finished she asked.  “I am tired Alden may I rest?”

“Of course my dear, I will call for Jane.”  As I stood up I felt a burning sensation in my chest.  “My, word.”  I gasped clutching the side of the chair.  Catlin looked at me her eyes wide, I could see her lips moving yet I could hear no sound.  A feeling, there was a familiar feeling that I had when I would stand near a ledge as a kid.  As if all the air in my body was flowing up.  I realized I was falling but I could not see anything just a dark purple light.  I felt my arm being press on and looked only to realize Catlin was holding on to it.  I quickly grabbed her so that she was above me, hoping that I may break her fall.

 



© 2013 AWickedMoon


Author's Note

AWickedMoon
Let me know what you think! This is my Third story I'm currently writing. This is my first time writing a book in first person so any suggestions are welcome. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Its good i think you did a great job writing in the first person. The only thing i might suggest is a description of Catlin. When she walked in you could add something like 'She was still as beatiful as the day i meet her, with corn flour color hair and a slight dimple in her chin." Or something else.

Posted 10 Years Ago


AWickedMoon

10 Years Ago

Thank you! The first paragraph of the chapter I just posted has a description of Catlin. Please te.. read more
John Sharp

10 Years Ago

Its good i like the walking into her part that was funny. Sounds like a good story troublesome pixi.. read more
It's very good, other than a few spelling and grammar mistakes, and the fact that it is lacking commas ... but I definitely want to read on!


Posted 10 Years Ago


Calibaster

10 Years Ago

I forgot to mention that nearing the end, there was a mistake made with the word press. Shouldn't it.. read more
AWickedMoon

10 Years Ago

Wow I wrote a response to this like two days ago but its not here!!! Lol. SO... Thank you for poin.. read more
Calibaster

10 Years Ago

It does seem backwards, but that's okay. A once over should help you find and fix the problems. ;)
there isn't enough description on the main character. Other than that it sounds good

Posted 10 Years Ago


AWickedMoon

10 Years Ago

Thank you, where do you think I can add more about the character? :)
Darkening Shadow

10 Years Ago

I'll mail you when I have more time but try to add detail for like hair color, eye color, and other .. read more
I love it. I can't wait for Chapter 1

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AWickedMoon

10 Years Ago

Thank you! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

323 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 3, 2013
Last Updated on December 29, 2013


Author

AWickedMoon
AWickedMoon

Calgary, I am a fan of the egyptian gods, Canada



About
If you have time check out my Deviant account! http://jadepatterson.deviantart.com/ a> My name is Jade Patterson and I hail from Calgary, Canada. I enjoy dipping in to all genres and trying my h.. more..

Writing
Rant #1 Rant #1

A Story by AWickedMoon