London Calling: A Baseball Fan!

London Calling: A Baseball Fan!

A Story by Abishai100
"

Narrated vignette of a man moving from the UK to the US to change-gears and shift-spirits from cricket to baseball...and perhaps distance.

"
A tale about motion/migration, inspired by The Joy Luck Club
----
====

I've lived in London (UK) my whole life but decided it needed a change and therefore took one last look at the fabled city that's offered world-history so many 'rich' dreams about designs and dollars.



Now, I always try to remain safe/hygienic, and I wear a protective Coronavirus-mask when I go out in public, despite the fact that I've been fully-vaccinated! I consider my approach to life one of simple practicality and sanity and a holistic approach to human relations, seeking to tell my fellow man they've met a fellow soul with a humble intention to be a 'good greetings' decision.



So, I decide to move West, to the United States (North America), where I may change my sports-spirits from cricket (the favored sport in the UK) to baseball, a much more 'rugged' game of dusty sportsmanship, perhaps/arguably reflective of the Cleveland (the US city I decide to make the move to from fabled London!) spirit of traffic festivity!



When I move into my new Cleveland apartment and take up a job at a law firm, I realize life in the United States is quite idyllic and hygienic and there's a great street-joviality in this new country. In my law firm (Dartmouth), I begin work on a case involving a steel-mill controversy and work on behalf of an Irish-Catholic minority enclave hoping to win a big settlement against British Petroleum (BP). I take a break from this 'back-breaking' legal work of unusual proportionality and head to an iconic Indians baseball-game where I meet a gorgeous young American woman named Sandy who's a big 'cheerleader' of American-baseball. We fell in love and marry and I realize my new life far-West is more characteristic of my 'Wanderlust' to embrace the pure joy of Western civilization sense(s).



I wrote an editorial in the Cleveland Times about what makes American-baseball so grand, and I begin to wonder if it's the idea of shared-space 'cheerleading' of the far-Western canon of liberty-occasion(s) or perhaps that if it's Sandy (my wife!) herself who reminds me why social spirits for sports (baseball!) may've been likened to the glittering notions of democratic dream.



SANDY: He bought me this amazing London tin-tea/serving set, which we serve our friends with on Sundays in Cleveland.



What this tale is really about is migration, and it's about the idea that moving out West to find new roads to personal/shared happiness can be likened to sports, in all honesty, simply because civilization is all about the celebration of purified dogma. Shall I return to London someday, my Western civilization city or origins? Will I hear the fair sounds of London calling?

====
"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)

© 2022 Abishai100


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24 Views
Added on March 10, 2022
Last Updated on March 10, 2022
Tags: Civilization

Author

Abishai100
Abishai100

NJ



About
Student/Minister; Hobbies: Comic Books, Culinary Arts, Music; Religion: Catholic; Education: Dartmouth College more..

Writing